Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Hurricane Rebuild

Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

That is one execllent copy Tom. I want to do one of these. Cheers Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane MK1 87sq 1940.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	73825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane MK1 257sq 1940.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	73826  
Old 07-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Those are great schemes too Barry.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Barry, sent a PM in reply to your PM. You have got two of the best Hurricane builders (in balsa!) on your thread now. Tom and Paul are outstanding builders. I haven't seen them fly, but they both have good reputations there as well. I am not a great flyer, but there is still time. I love the Hurricane- hmm, come to think of it, I love a lot of War Birds. I can't wait to hear that you have successfully completed your maiden flight. I am getting close on my own War Bird.

Bob

Last edited by Voyager2lcats; 07-27-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Thanks Bob, Yes it's good to be in such skilled company and there's plenty of opportunity for me to learn. I'm surprised what I have picked up in such a short time as a member. I need to fly these warbirds before I get too old to do so.
Barry
Old 07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

My last stages of build have been dictated by the fact that I was really concerned that the model was tail heavy. I needed weight up front so out went the pop bottle cowl idea and in came the planked and profile carved nose. The engine mount was supported on balsa rails and the planking applied from former to former and carved and sanded to profile. More weight where I needed it and no plug to make.(pic1)
The spruce rails were drilled with holes to lighten from nose to tail. I used the top foam wing profile offcuts from wire cutting as a basis for the wing to fuselage fairings. They were hollowed using a stone griding disc on a mini drill.(pic2)
While attacking the fuselage with the drill I decided to lighten the ply mid fuselage former as well (pic3). If it wasn't for the fact that my two grandchildren are coming to stay this weekend I think things could have moved on quite quickly from here, as it is I think I shall be otherwise occupied for a week. Cheers Barry ,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0940s.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	74173   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0941s.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	74174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0942s.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	74175  
Old 07-31-2008, 05:56 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Barry, Will the motor mount to the spinner back plate?
What about cooling?

Paul
Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Spot on Paul, exactly what's in my mind as I haven't mounted a motor like this before. The motor has a cross shaped alloy mount which bolts to the motor back plate and then to the firewall. I thought I might drill a motor sized hole in the firewall and mount the motor from the rear face of the firewall thus giving me a through flow of air and the ablity to retract the motor if needs be. It will also be driving a 7 by 5 apc prop so I dont want a huge spinner. The pop bottle part of the cowl is still to come for the final motor fairing.I thought I might create the illusion of a large spinner by painting a spinner on the motor fairing and only having the forward tip as an actual spinner. Any ideas gratefully accepted Barry

Last edited by baz49exe; 07-31-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:49 AM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Spot on Paul, exactly what's in my mind as I haven't mounted a motor like this before. The motor has a cross shaped alloy mount which bolts to the motor back plate and then to the firewall. I thought I might drill a motor sized hole in the firewall and mount the motor from the rear face of the firewall thus giving me a through flow of air and the ablity to retract the motor if needs be. It will also be driving a 7 by 5 apc prop so I dont want a huge spinner. The pop bottle part of the cowl is still to come for the final motor fairing.I thought I might create the illusion of a large spinner by painting a spinner on the motor fairing and only having the forward tip as an actual spinner. Any ideas gratefully accepted Barry
That's a great idea. I never would have thought of it.

I've seen motors turned around and mounted on the spinner back plate.
I thought that's what you were doing.
I've never mounted one that way.

I do however use the x mount to a firewall quite a bit.

I have been holding the motor to the firewall with 4-40 nylon bolts.
In not so perfect landings they shear easily, sometimes reducing damage to the motor.
The nylon stretches a bit when tightened too. It helps to keep the bolts from loosening up.

Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 08:12 AM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

I like the nylon bolt motor saver idea Paul, I will use that in the final setup. As you know it's now all about matching the motor mount, motor, prop and spinner to the scale or near scale profile of the nose. Personally, I don't mind if it's not actual scale. It can't be prop wise, although the mk1 Hurricane did use a two bladed prop. ( useful). For me it's more about an illusion of scale. I feel if it looks right it's ok. Actually cartoon scale is fine too because at 30 ft high, 50 ft away and at 30 mph plus all things are relative. How many times have people said to you," Is that a large model far away or a small model close?" Cheers Barry
Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
I like the nylon bolt motor saver idea Paul, I will use that in the final setup. As you know it's now all about matching the motor mount, motor, prop and spinner to the scale or near scale profile of the nose. Personally, I don't mind if it's not actual scale. It can't be prop wise, although the mk1 Hurricane did use a two bladed prop. ( useful). For me it's more about an illusion of scale. I feel if it looks right it's ok. Actually cartoon scale is fine too because at 30 ft high, 50 ft away and at 30 mph plus all things are relative. How many times have people said to you," Is that a large model far away or a small model close?" Cheers Barry
Apparently you have nicer spectators.
I usually get.

Where did you buy that toy?

How high can it go?

Can this one shoot the other one down?

When are you going to crash it?
Which usually brings a chorus from the other mucus encrusted munchkins of:
Crash...Crash...crash...

Then, I like that guy's plane better ..

Until you crash.

Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 01:49 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Well Paul, obviously this is the difference between rude Americans, and those from the mother isle who pride themselves on class and respect.

Or it could do with your proximity to Boston.

More likely, he just got lucky
Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Barry, your Hurricane is coming along nicely. I like your ideas on the spinner and lightening the airframe. I can't wait to see it together and then painted.

Paul, that is very sad that people want to see your planes crash! How horrible is that!? I guess they have no appreciation for the time and effort it takes to create the airplane nor the joy of flying it. Others do. You know what I think- you have some artwork for aircraft!

Bob
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Bob, Most of the people unfamiliar with radio control, view these models as "toys".
If it's shiny and quiet it must be a toy.

With the more annoying ones, I tell them the whole setup can be bought at Radio Shack for $19.95.

I tell them to tell the clerk that they're looking for the limited ones in the back room.
If he won't get it for them, ask for the manager.

Or e-mail the main office.

I don't shop Radio Shack anymore.

Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

I am happy to say I have never encountered anybody like that yet.
Radio Shack might like the new "customers"- they can give them the hard sell for something they don't really need/want.

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Bob, Most of the people unfamiliar with radio control, view these models as "toys".
If it's shiny and quiet it must be a toy.

With the more annoying ones, I tell them the whole setup can be bought at Radio Shack for $19.95.

I tell them to tell the clerk that they're looking for the limited ones in the back room.

Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
I am happy to say I have never encountered anybody like that yet.
Radio Shack might like the new "customers"- they can give them the hard sell for something they don't really need/want.

I live in the city. I have a park just up the street. There are hundreds of houses, or at least apartments nearby.

Usually after a couple of the early birds show up, the hordes of miniature miscreants follow.
I usually pack up before they get too far down field.

The soccer moms always park themselves right in the dead center of the fields then catch some rays or talk on the cell phone.

They park there so that they can ignore the offspring longer. It takes the kids longer to reach the perimeter.

I really don't know how they keep track of them, or if they try. They certainly aren't watching.

After a while they get bored and go home, I think they get same number and type they showed up with.
But who knows.

The ones that show up early are the nice well behaved ones. Occasionnally we'll let some of them fly the planes.

Glad the mom's don't get up before 10:00AM.

Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Paul
You're a bad man...
Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
You're a bad man...
You know me then?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

Oh I've started something now! It's more to do with location of flying sites than the standard of observer. Our site is a patch of cleared ground high on Woodbury Common which is a least three miles uphill from the nearest habitation. It is only for the flying use of club members or guests who must have insurance and abide by club rules. Although walkers, mostly accompanied by their dogs are to be seen children and youngsters are not, mainly because of the effort it would take to get up there and the lack of instant gratification from minimum effort that would result. So the only ones up there are us retired old fogies hence the " Is that a large plane, a small plane, or what is it?" You really have my sympathies Paul if you have to share a park. I cannot begin to imagine the problems.
Bob The motor installation is going to be testing and I'm looking forward to it. As for the weight reduction hysteria, I hope it doesn't fall apart! Cheers Barry.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 PM
pd1
Still Learning

All's good Barry.
I fly at two other schools and belong to an AMA type club.
So there is always someplace to fly.

It's just that I like teasing some spectators.
It's fun.

Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 09:43 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

That's a relief Paul. Of course you could look at it from the point of view that you are giving some kids an experience that they might not otherwise have had. Starting the hobbies next generation so to speak. Barry
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Ages ago, I used to fly glow at a farm near my parents home.
Cars would stop and line the road to watch the planes fly.

My dad showed hundreds of kids how to work the controls, and all got a few minutes on the sticks.
I'm not exaggerating on the numbers either.
This was before "buddy boxes" too.

As some of these kids got older, they would start building and flying themselves.

Today, It's extremely rare for a kid to show any interest other than waiting a while for the plane to crash.

The thing is it's so much easier for someone to get into this hobby today than ever before.
The kids have more money, the airplanes are already built, and the equipment is much lower in price than before.
Most of those that want to try a little of the hobby don't want a trainer either.

Try and talk someone out of that fire breathing war bird with the retracts and bomb drop for his first plane, the one with the high wing loading and 60 inch wing.

You know they'll be only a few of them that will remain in the hobby after a start like that.
I wonder what people will be in this hobby in ten years.

For now I'll just fly at the school yards and parks when there are not many people around.
Sorry for the rant.

Paul
Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 PM
baz49exe
Super Contributor

We don't get many youngsters interested either. I agree its time time taken to develop the skills needed to build and fly properly. They don't want to invest that, there's too much else to do. I used to run a build and fly club a school during lunchtime. We flew control line. I know two of those kids went on to study aero engineering at university. But that was 20 years ago. Barry.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Our age is showing.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:48 AM
jofrost
It flew once before...

Paul
Paul ,

You didn't tell me you got them at Radio Shack Now I know where to get those screaming whiz banger motors you use to fly straight up .

Besides...those mucus covered miscreants usually show up to see me and Glenn crash as you fly rolling loops around us :o

-John
Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 AM
pd1
Still Learning

John,
The motors I get are from Wall Mart. $1.99.
$.99 with the coupon.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Rebuild

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13694 seconds with 18 queries