Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Started My GWS Me-109 (Photos Added)

Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
That's very nice looking!! I almost couldn't see it in those first three shots.

I agree, I wish I had some multiblade props on my planes. She's going to fly nicely I'm sure. Good luck.
Thanks Andy.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 AM
orionRider

Hi Tom,

Congrats on your nice Me109!
It's a shame we can't fly the dawn patrol together, that would be an awesome sight

I see you were convinced by the pre-shading. It looks very good.
Here is the last pict of mine (yesterday!). Note I changed the prop for a 3-blade 9x5" GWS 'HD' which is even more flexible. It also loads the motor less but the plane still flies great: https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5248
They also have the very same props, but counter-rotating. If you ever want a Me110 or a P-38...

My bird is plain foam with no added spars or glass fiber (just replaced the bamboo stick with a carbon rod) and it never broke despite a few rough landings. AUW is 400gr (14Oz). The spinner is stock, I filled one hole with superlight filler and cut two other holes to fit the 3-blade prop.

Good luck on the maiden!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Great photo Laurent. Yes, they would look cool patrolling the skies together. I was looking around for those props last night. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:30 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

orion, I thought you were pulling our legs with a photo of a real plane, until I noticed the antenna sticking out of the back.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

He does beautiful work. Take a look at his gallery if you get a chance.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:06 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Wow, that's sure a pretty plane. I wish you guys could both fly together ... so I could swoop down from the clouds with my 47 and give you a new paint scheme down the engine cowling.

Laurent, is that a little pilot figure I see in there? If so, what are you using?

Also, what is this Superlight filler you're using? Any links? I need to start amassing some building necessities like this so I don't have to just go out and buy new spinners when things come up (like the Phase3 P-38 that I still need to fit 3-bladed props onto). Thankfully Hobby Lobby (the craft store) usually has all this type of stuff, so I can just pick it up on my way home.

While we're on the subject, what kind of spackle do you use for filling holes and gaps on these projects, Tom?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Wow, that's sure a pretty plane. I wish you guys could both fly together ... so I could swoop down from the clouds with my 47 and give you a new paint scheme down the engine cowling.

Laurent, is that a little pilot figure I see in there? If so, what are you using?

Also, what is this Superlight filler you're using? Any links? I need to start amassing some building necessities like this so I don't have to just go out and buy new spinners when things come up (like the Phase3 P-38 that I still need to fit 3-bladed props onto). Thankfully Hobby Lobby (the craft store) usually has all this type of stuff, so I can just pick it up on my way home.

While we're on the subject, what kind of spackle do you use for filling holes and gaps on these projects, Tom?
Hey Dave,

I'm not sure how often Laurent is on here but he told me the German pilot is a silhouette cut out of several layers of Depron foam with some carving and lots of paint.

For spackle, there is a light weight spackle you can get at Wally's or most hardware stores by DAP called Fast and Final Lightweight spackle. I also use regular DAP spackle and find it works easier but is heavier than the light weight stuff.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...36&SubcatID=23

http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...41&SubcatID=23

http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...35&SubcatID=23
Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Awesome info, Tom. Thanks! Is that spackle the same type of stuff you'd use to fill in a spinner like what Laurent was talking about doing on his, too, or more for non-moving parts? (I'd hate to fill a spinner with spackle and then watch it zoom off like a pound of mud on a merry-go-round when I fired her up. )
Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
txcombatguy

Nice jobs on the 109s! they look very scale. Looking forward to the videos.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Awesome info, Tom. Thanks! Is that spackle the same type of stuff you'd use to fill in a spinner like what Laurent was talking about doing on his, too, or more for non-moving parts? (I'd hate to fill a spinner with spackle and then watch it zoom off like a pound of mud on a merry-go-round when I fired her up. )
I suppose you could use the light weight for that but I'd be more comfortable cutting a chunk of foam and gluing it in to fill the majority of the void then use the spackle to fill in the cracks and dents. You also don't want a heavy chuck of spackle throwing the spinner off balance either.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

You should've made a mold of that first spinner before you put it on so I woudn't even have to think about such things.

I'm just curious how Laurent "filled one hole" on his.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

You should've made a mold of that first spinner before you put it on so I woudn't even have to think about such things.

I'm just curious how Laurent "filled one hole" on his.
Wouldn't you rather have a mold of the new one cut out for 3 blades?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Err, I meant your first homemade 3-bladed spinner. Sometimes words get lost on the way between my brain and my fingers.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Tom, you might want to name your ME-109 "Leafhopper" since it is your lightest model! BTW (minor hijack here), I have painted most of my SE5a Bright Blue gloss acrylic and will be posting a pic soon. FYI.

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Thanks Paul. It's actually the lightest plane I have now and has more watts per pound then any of my others.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
Tom, you might want to name your ME-109 "Leafhopper" since it is your lightest model! BTW (minor hijack here), I have painted most of my SE5a Bright Blue gloss acrylic and will be posting a pic soon. FYI.
Looking forward to the pics Bob. On another note, the PT-19 is on the bench as of last night. Just have to switch gears from a foam kit to balsa.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Tom,

Do you remember the difference?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
orionRider

Hi everybody,

Here is what I use to fill the foam. It is a white paste smelling of latex paint, it doesn't shrink and gets hard like plaster in 24hrs. It is also about the same weight as the foam. Mixed with methanol and universal glue it makes a good liquid filler too.

http://users.telenet.be/Les_Busards/val/images/13.jpg

Of course I'm on the other side of the pound, so the brand is different but I'm sure it's similar to the DAP stuff. Easy to find in the stores: when you hold the jar it feels empty
I saw in the Tower Hobbies catalog that Hobbico sells the same kind of stuff:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL481&P=7
However, it looks heavier at 8 oz for just 275ml.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Ah. I like to read that (PT-19)! I look forward to seeing pics of that one. I naturally like your "lightweight" ME-109 (wasn't that the ME-109E-5 recon version?). Fly when you can.

Looking forward to the pics Bob. On another note, the PT-19 is on the bench as of last night. Just have to switch gears from a foam kit to balsa.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Ah. I like to read that (PT-19)! I look forward to seeing pics of that one. I naturally like your "lightweight" ME-109 (wasn't that the ME-109E-5 recon version?). Fly when you can.
I'm not sure which Me-109 it was. I just copied Orionrider's because his was so darned pretty. I haven't started the PT-19 yet. I had my heavy weight P-47 pig on the bench putting a new (clear) canopy and cockpit details in it. I'm getting rid of the black one that was on it. I think this one will look much better. I'll post some pics in the P-47 thread when it's done.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Tom, just kidding about the variant! You are such a stickler for detail, I couldn't help myself. Regardless, your paint job is a great example of airbrush painting technique. I would have to say the same about Orionrider- great paint jobs and beautiful warbirds. Keep up the great work- both of you.

I'm not sure which Me-109 it was. I just copied Orionrider's because his was so darned pretty. I haven't started the PT-19 yet. I had my heavy weight P-47 pig on the bench putting a new (clear) canopy and cockpit details in it. I'm getting rid of the black one that was on it. I think this one will look much better. I'll post some pics in the P-47 thread when it's done.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Yep Tom, the clear canopy will make the plane much lighter.

Paul
Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 PM
wilky
Off topic talking fool

I've got mine, I just can't deside if I'm doing this one as the E or if I'm going the G conversion route. after I make some progress I'll Probably start a build thread, but I'll warn you all now. I'm a slow builder. I'm still working on the P-47 that I started back in august, mostly because of My indecisiveness on switching the paint and glassing her.

Hoppy, I knew you'd end up switching to a clear canopie on the P-47.
what one are you going to use?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Not that I am trying to influence your decision, but I always thought the G model was the slickest looking ME-109. I like the rounded prop hub ( I think it actually came in with the F model, but don't quote me).

Originally Posted by wilky View Post
I've got mine, I just can't deside if I'm doing this one as the E or if I'm going the G conversion route. after I make some progress I'll Probably start a build thread, but I'll warn you all now. I'm a slow builder. I'm still working on the P-47 that I started back in august, mostly because of My indecisiveness on switching the paint and glassing her.

what one are you going to use?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Yep Tom, the clear canopy will make the plane much lighter.

Paul
Now that's funny. I'll add some lead back to it to make up the difference.

Originally Posted by wilky View Post

what one are you going to use
?
Skysharkster found a Sig WWII 7" canopy for me. It's not exactly like the P-47 canopy but it's the closest I've seen anywhere. I have to do some slight mods to the canopy hatch and re-silk it but that's not a big deal. I should have it done this weekend.

Last edited by Grasshopper; 01-09-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Changed canopy size from 9" to 7" (mistake)
Old 01-09-2008, 05:46 AM
wilky
Off topic talking fool

Not that I am trying to influence your decision, but I always thought the G model was the slickest looking ME-109. I like the rounded prop hub ( I think it actually came in with the F model, but don't quote me).
yeah I'm leaning that way, I love the G with it's gun pods, chipmunk cheeks and sleek nose all tho, I like the BF-109 in all it's varianions. Like i said, It's going to be slow going. I'll take Pictures and start a build thread but, to keep the thread from moving way too slow I'll wait untill have made a good amount of progress.

did you ever get numbers from your power system Hoppy? I'm thinking of copying it.

edit: never mind I found where you posted your numbers.

Last edited by wilky; 01-09-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Started My GWS Me-109 (Photos Added)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15452 seconds with 14 queries