WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

WWI planes

Old 09-18-2005, 01:06 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Brushless motor

WWI Ace, what is the part number for the motor you are going to use and what is a good price? Also what are you using for a speed controller? I would like to see the motor you are talking about. martin
Old 09-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Here's the last batch of photos on my Dr.! build (I've spent more on film and developing than I did on the tripe).

Photo #1 built up control surfaces instead of the 1/4 slabs called for in the
plans. I'm using robart hinge points because they'll look more scale even
though this is far from scale bird.
#2 framed out rudder. Note ply doubler from lower rib to bottom. There's
not a lot of mass there and I know it'll take a beating in a nose over.
#3 reinforcing blocks for mid wing bolts.
#4 fitting fuse top blocks to mid wing
#5 external dry fit of sprung tailskid.
#6 midwing alignment
#7 looking a lot like a Triplane (-:
#8 weight as shown in previous photo. Bare airframe only. All up weight of 6lbs looks very attainable.
#9 checking botom wing aglignment. Dead square at 2 degrees incidence. Just what the plans call for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	control surf.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1700   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder framed.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1701   Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt guides.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1702   Click image for larger version

Name:	mid wing build up.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1703   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail wheel m-u.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1704  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mid wing align.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1709   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view assmbld.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1710   Click image for larger version

Name:	weighing.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1711   Click image for larger version

Name:	incidence far.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1712  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:00 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Scalercflyer. Go to horizonhobby.com and look up the E-flite Park 400 920Kv brushless outrunner. If I'm reading this sheet right the part number is EFLM1305. I will probably also use their 20amp brushless ESC because it's fairly inexpensive and I've had good luck with it so far. It is also made by E-flite and its part number is EFLA311. I like this stuff because it comes with gold bullet connectors already installed. The motor comes with an extra set of gold bullet connectors, motor mount with screws, and an aluminum collet type prop adapter. When you buy an AXI all this stuff has to be purchased seperately. The motor is supposed to fly a 16oz. plane 3-D so it will have plenty of power. The motor weighs 2ozs. I got the motor at my LHS, (which is actually 60 miles away!). It had a $59.99 price tag but when I took it to the counter they only charged me $49.99. Cool huh!! I try to buy stuff from them when they have it. Anyway I've rambled on long enough. Take a look at this power system and see what you think. It will swing up to a 11x4.7 prop. Steve.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Walt. That tripe looks great!!! I would love to have the building skills you possess! Your building style looks so clean. Must have taken you more than a plane or two to get that good! Can't wait to see it finished since you won't tell us which pilots tripe your going to do. Steve.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:29 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default DRI plans

Walt, would you be so kind as to identify those DRI plans you have for me? I do not have a set of plans for the DRI. I do have a set of plans for the Sopwith tripe (and just about every other fighter there was in WWI). Are those plans available anywhere? I have some suggestions for camo schemes if you would like. See some of the previous replys I sent to WWI Ace for websites. BTW, I have just about every book on the DRI that was ever printed ( it's my favorite plane). I have always been fascinated with it. I am currently reading a book called Three Wings for the Red Baron. A very interesting book and well worth the price. I buy a lot of reference material from AMAZON.com. I know it cost you a few bucks for the pics you posted, but I for one am grateful you posted the pictuers. I feel as though I am there with you on the build. All the Best, Martin
Old 09-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Thanks guys.

Scalercflyer: the plans I am using are from Model Builder in 1976 or 78. It is a Bryce Peterson design. In some ways it's been a tough build because there are no instructions even in the accompanying article. you really have to think about what Peterson intended. I'm sure part of the problem is that I'm looking at a 70's plan though 05 eyes.

WWI Ace: every writer keeps a little something for the last page (-:

Finished squaring everything up and fitting the interplane struts yesterday. Aileron servos arrived yesterday also. Tried fitting my circular battery pack from the Camel, but it's just a litttle too big. I could go with a sixteen and a four cell pack, but will probably go with a double row semi-circular pack of ten cells each.
Walt
Old 09-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Backyardace
Balsa crashes better!

Just came accross this thread and thought I would post a pic of the group of WWI planes we had out this weekend.

Mine is the Dr I it is a kit from Aerodrome rc
Fokker DVII kit from Aerodrome rc
DH2 kit from Kavan
Spad scratch built

Name:	wwi.JPG
Views:	660
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1779  
Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

I just checked my Dr.1 plans they are from Flying Models not Moidel builder. I can't find a date, but the accompanying article show a first generation Orbit proportional radio which puts it into the late 60s or early 70s.

Confession time: the reason I was having trouble fitting the interplane struts is that the top wing was an inch too far forward. I've come up with a relatively easy fix. Cut an inch off the leading edge of the cabane mounts and add it to the TE with a brass coupler. With a little care and a jig, I should be able to use the same screw holes in the top wing. Will document it with photos.
Walt

e
Old 09-22-2005, 01:53 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Nice to have you with us Backyardace!!! The planes you posted look great! I really like your triplane. I've been looking at that kit for awhile. Was it a good build? Did all the parts fit together well? What power system are you using in it? Tired of the questions yet? I just like to hear about what people are flying and what they're flying it with. What did you cover it with and did you have to paint the covering? Help us keep this thread going. There are some really great guys on hear with alot of helpful information and they aren't afraid to share it. Except for Walt not telling us whose triplane he is building. That's okay though, I like the mystery!! Walt must be a great card player because never lets you know what cards he's holding until the very end!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:58 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Hey Walt! I meant to ask you why you don't use lipoly batteries? I guess though that with short nosed planes like the Fokker tripe the extra weight of "normal" batteries might be a benefit to keep from adding nose weight right? Hope you get your strut problem worked out! It sounds like you have a plan.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:01 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Scalercflyer! Did you check on that motor yet? What do you think? You have to admit that these Fokkers will be alot more scale with a motor spinning around under the cowl.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:09 AM
Backyardace
Balsa crashes better!

Originally Posted by WWI Ace
I've been looking at that kit for awhile. Was it a good build? Did all the parts fit together well? What power system are you using in it? Tired of the questions yet? I just like to hear about what people are flying and what they're flying it with. What did you cover it with and did you have to paint the covering?
Kurt's kits are very nice and the parts fit together well. The guy who has the DVII in the picture is building a smaller DR I from Aerodrome with a 24" wingspan. It will be his 4th kit from them.

I have a Himax 2025-4200 with a 6.6 to 1 gearbox. More motor than it needs but I needed the weight up front.

I think the covering is Ultracote or Ultracote Light. It is black covering, not painted.

Here is another pic.

Name:	DR1.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1799  
Old 09-22-2005, 03:07 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Very impressive!!!! How did you do the markings for Jacobs triplane?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Three reasons I'm not using LiPos: cost, weight and poor experience so far. I've ruined four Thunder Power packs so far. Apparently their minimum discharge is really their maximum. Just heard that Keith Shaw really likes KoKam's 20C cells. guess it just proves the old adage buy cheap buy twice and double that for electric!
Walt
Old 09-25-2005, 12:13 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Motor

Yeah, WWI Ace I did look at the motor. Looks good to me. I sure agree with you about the look and feel with the motor. I suppose you can whip up a rotary engine real quick with some balsa. BTW guys, I attended the NEAT fair in up state New York 2 weekends ago. I was blown away with the performance and variety of the aircraft and equipment. I spent 2 days in a fog. I talked to a guy who built the Formosa by GWS. He showed me the motor etc he was using and said "hang around I'm going to fly it". So I see this plane with no landing gear and figured he was going to hand launch it. WRONG!!! He gave it full throttle and just dropped it!! It went STRAIGHT UP and out of sight in seconds!!!!! I promptly went and bought the the whole setup battery, motor and controller (it just so happens I have the kit)!!! Talk about hook line and sinker!!! The setup is a HACKER 20-20L, 20 AMP controller and 1330MAH, 11 Volt battery. I also bought a spare motor through the mail a week later. I figure I can find a WWI fighter to stick this motor eventually!!! Any suggestions Guys??? Martin
Old 09-25-2005, 12:21 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Dri

Backyardace, you did a tremendous job building the DRI! How does it fly? Any problems landing?? Kurt does indeed do a great job on his kits. The only problem is which one to pick!! How about hearing from you other Guys about the one you just have to have. I'm going to be poor....decisions, decisions. The tripe is on my hit list for "have to have kits". Christmas is coming. Hmmm maybe I should say something..... Martin
Old 09-25-2005, 12:23 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Scale RC

BOY, do I love this hobby!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2005, 03:02 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Just for laughs, guys, Built a DR1 a long time ago and found out on the real one, the left ail. has more area than the right one.:p
Old 09-25-2005, 04:16 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Martin, did you get my PM?
Walt
Old 09-25-2005, 11:43 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Views

Hey Guys!! This thread has been viewed 1500 times!! WOW! Scale is the Best!! Martin
Old 09-25-2005, 12:16 PM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

hey guys can i play here too?

l,ove those ww1 birds!

Name:	Image5sml.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1892   Click image for larger version

Name:	backqtrpolkdr1sml.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5sad.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1895  

Old 09-25-2005, 12:20 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Camo

Check this out boys.
http://www.wwiaviation.com/lozenge.shtml

Martin
Old 09-25-2005, 12:24 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default WWI birds

SWEET WATT-THE! Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us a little about each one. Kits, how they fly, power, batts, etc. Looking forward to your reply. Martin
Old 09-25-2005, 12:25 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Another site

Here's another Boys.
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/cli..._pullpull1.asp
Martin
Old 09-25-2005, 12:33 PM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

sure thang.

the blue dr1 is the dare kit converted to aileron, tissue/dope covered, scale ww1 lerhone radial, hyperion powered, 1550mah 3s flies like a sports car.

the dvii is dare again, converted aileron, dope/tissue, mpjet bb race gb and mpjet motor, 3s 1550 flies great, doesnt roll too fast though, got videos of each of these flying...oh, scale spoked wheels, 13 inch prop...lol...

um next is the polks hobby dr1, 36 inch span a real mutha to get cog right, but what a flyer...very scale except forf the oversize rudder. got an axi 2820/10 in it and 3s2p 1550 in the cowl. crashed on test flight due to faulty base loaded antenna having only about 250ft range...got me another in the hangar now...couldnt resist. scale radial, williams bros 1/6 spandaus, iron cross (?) scale pilot.

fokker eindekker eiii slimer, TT 54 4 stroke, fully working wing warping via pulley, solatex covering..flew like the real thing...tricky, rudder only turns (any banks cuased major loss of altitude)...big, noisy and now sold...

the sopwith is the dare kit again but not aileron converted. was one of my first dare kits and i botched the wings. it flew but like a pig. each wing was warped but seemed to cancel out- kinda. needed alot of rudder to fly straight...it is now retired (because of it being a pig to fly). flew on 3s 1550 of course and mpjet outrunner.

might have to nudge the admin for personal galleries eh?

Thanks for the interest...

Tim.

Quick Reply: WWI planes

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12703 seconds with 27 queries