Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

E Flight P 47 Thunderbolt

Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Well.....i Ordered The Gp P 40 .25 Gp/ep
Not Bigger Just Heavier/bigger Battery/....bigger Motor
Now that's what I like to hear! There will be a build thread right?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 PM
BUCKSHOT

Sure.......
I'm Up For This One
Old 11-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I've got probably a dozen flights on my P-47 now and I really love the way it flies. My one complaint though is the strength of the foam at the wing tips and the top of the tail. I do not have a nice smooth landing surface, so virtually all of my landings end with the plane tipped up onto its nose or all the way over on its back. I have broken the tail and wing tips multiple times now, which is mostly just annoying because it is such an easy fix. Except for what happened yesterday....

I made several flights all with typical bad landings. I broke the tip of the tail (again) on one and a wingtip (again!) on another. When I picked up the broken wingtip I noticed that a smaller piece of the same wingtip had broken off on an earlier landing, but unfortunately I didn't notice at the time. I looked for the missing piece, but it was well camouflaged in the tall shaggy grass so never found it. Bummer!

If anyone out there has a left wingtip from a trashed P-47, I would love to take it off your hands!

And FYI, I am done flying with the landing gear for now. Try as I might, the field I fly at is just not suitable. I will give belly flopping a try and hope for better results.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 PM
mtuhoop24

I have had the same experience with the wing tips but I found mine and put them back on just fine.

I was doing the belly landing and found that I was tearing off the wing tips some what on a regular basis.

I put the landing gear on (and the bombs for effect) and although I tip over on the nose most of the time, haven't ripped anything off in roughly 15 flights.

I have noticed with the landing gear that brining it in with a little more speed really helps and of course a little flare before you actually hit the ground.

I know this doesn't really sovle your issue but I thought I would share it!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:51 PM
BUCKSHOT

Yup,
Me Too,the Wing Tip Issue
Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I took it out for a couple of flights during the lunch hour today without the landing gear (or about 1/2" of my left wingtip ), and I made 3 nice smooth landings in the grass - finally!

Ironically, I was flying at a park I had never flown at before which had a nice wide parking lot with no obstructions (or parked cars other than my own) right next to the soccer field that I landed on. I could easily have taken off and landed on the pavement, but the landing gear was at home
Old 11-07-2007, 11:01 PM
BUCKSHOT

Default Controlled Crash

I Got To Have Gear.....with Wheel's It Is Landing ...
Without Wheels....it Is A Controled Crash....
Old 11-08-2007, 12:56 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by D Payne View Post
If anyone out there has a left wingtip from a trashed P-47, I would love to take it off your hands!
Just take a piece of flat foam, cut it to the approximate shape, glue it on, and sand it down to the right contour.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
BUCKSHOT

......"captain Obvious",,,,,,,,,du Du Dah
Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM
BUCKSHOT

Sorry Fm .....coundn't Pass It Up
Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Just take a piece of flat foam, cut it to the approximate shape, glue it on, and sand it down to the right contour.
It's a thin piece that is missing, probably 1/2" x 2". I could either chop off a larger portion of the wing tip and build a new one as you suggest (or replace it with another tip salvaged from another P-47 wing), or build it up out of spackle and epoxy. I think chellie recommended that method in another thread awhile back, but I have never tried it. She recommended a 5 to 1 mixture of spackle to epoxy if I recall correctly. Shape it up to approximately the right shape then sand it down. Anyone tried that or anything similar?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 PM
The Bandit

It's a thin piece that is missing, probably 1/2" x 2". I could either chop off a larger portion of the wing tip and build a new one as you suggest (or replace it with another tip salvaged from another P-47 wing), or build it up out of spackle and epoxy. I think chellie recommended that method in another thread awhile back, but I have never tried it. She recommended a 5 to 1 mixture of spackle to epoxy if I recall correctly. Shape it up to approximately the right shape then sand it down. Anyone tried that or anything similar?
Just use foam, epoxy mixture .5" x 2" would be heavy on the tips. Your lateral balance would be thrown off.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM
BUCKSHOT

I USED A PIECE OF OLD COOLER LID...
CUT & SHAPED IT ,GLUED TO THE WING,SANDED IT,PAINTED IT (WITH A CUSTOM MIX OUT OF A CHILDS WATER COLOR PAINT SET),SPRAYED WITH SATIN MINWAX WATER BASED CLEAR....

TAH--DAHHHH

I ALSO SPRAYED THE WHOLE PLANE WITH THE WATER BASED CLEAR..PAINT HOLDS-UP BETTER
Old 11-08-2007, 08:55 PM
pd1
Still Learning

D Payne, Without actually seeing the wingtip damage it's hard to say what to do.
If it is only 1/2 inch damaged you might be able to just round it off with a sanding block and let it go at that.
You could match the other side and touch up the paint.

The plane has plenty of lift and I think the plane would still fly fine.

Unless it's as heavy as Grasshoppers.

Connected but slightly off topic.

Years ago I was flying my Goldberg Falcon 56, my dad was flying something bigger and heavier.
We collided. I lost about 6 inches off the right wingtip and the right aileron.
The plane kept flying.
When I landed I removed the remains of the aileron and cleaned up the broken end of the wing with a razor, then glued the carved tip back on.

The plane looked good but was missing one aileron and 6 inches of one wing.

Yep I flew it. It flew fine after a few adjustments of the trim.

I don't recommend this because every plane is different and will react differently, but most designs are very tolerant of us.
I just wanted to say the plane doesn't always have to be perfect.

Good luck

Paul
Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Fixing it would be purely cosmetic. I have already flown it without the wingtip and all it took was a few clicks of aileron trim and it was back to straight and level. It's still pretty new to my hangar so I hate to see it banged up. I may work on it this weekend....

Or maybe I will just fly it
Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 PM
BUCKSHOT

Just A Piece Of Cooler Foam.....
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Man I swear, it seems as if my 47 is just ill fated! I think I have some sort of problem every 2 or 3 flights!!!

Today I knocked off of work a little early and stopped by my favorite park for a few flights. I launched, made a couple of trim adjustments as I circled the field and then dove down into a set of cuban eights at about 2/3 throttle. As I was coming back across the field on the second pass, the cockpit/battery cover flew off.

As it fluttered to the ground I cut throttle and pulled it back around for a landing in the grass. It had never come off in flight before, but I thought it was probably just the battery wires pushing against the cockpit assembly from beneath.

I carefully tucked all the wires down into the fuselage and put the cockpit back on, making sure the thing was seated firmly and the magnet making solid contact. It felt fine so I re-launched. I flew for about 2 more minutes, again mostly at 2/3 throttle taking it nice and easy. No high-g manuevers, no inverted flight. But then it happened again! Only this time, it came down just past the park boundary into trees and overgrown brush. I landed uneventfully, but no way I'm going back there to find a needle in a haystack. With all the tree branches, it probably didn't even make it to the ground.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Man I swear, it seems as if my 47 is just ill fated! I think I have some sort of problem every 2 or 3 flights!!!

Today I knocked off of work a little early and stopped by my favorite park for a few flights. I launched, made a couple of trim adjustments as I circled the field and then dove down into a set of cuban eights at about 2/3 throttle. As I was coming back across the field on the second pass, the cockpit/battery cover flew off.

As it fluttered to the ground I cut throttle and pulled it back around for a landing in the grass. It had never come off in flight before, but I thought it was probably just the battery wires pushing against the cockpit assembly from beneath.

I carefully tucked all the wires down into the fuselage and put the cockpit back on, making sure the thing was seated firmly and the magnet making solid contact. It felt fine so I re-launched. I flew for about 2 more minutes, again mostly at 2/3 throttle taking it nice and easy. No high-g manuevers, no inverted flight. But then it happened again! Only this time, it came down just past the park boundary into trees and overgrown brush. I landed uneventfully, but no way I'm going back there to find a needle in a haystack. With all the tree branches, it probably didn't even make it to the ground.

Sorry to hear about that Doug. If it helps any, you could fabricate a new one out of a block of foam. I have a canopy and pilot from mine you can have.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Sorry to hear about that Doug. If it helps any, you could fabricate a new one out of a block of foam. I have a canopy and pilot from mine you can have.
Thanks Tom, but I already ordered a new one from Horizon. Cost me $18, half of which is shipping

The silver lining is that it cost me no more in shipping to throw in an E-Flite Curtis Jenny, so I've got one of those on the way too
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks Tom, but I already ordered a new one from Horizon. Cost me $18, half of which is shipping

The silver lining is that it cost me no more in shipping to throw in an E-Flite Curtis Jenny, so I've got one of those on the way too
Gotta love when a new plane is on the way!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:37 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

just a tip...

I kept having the same thing happen to mine, I think what I did to resolve it was to put the magnet in the back, and the retaining pins in the front. This way the wind helps to hold it in, instead of trying to pull it off...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:26 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
just a tip...

I kept having the same thing happen to mine, I think what I did to resolve it was to put the magnet in the back, and the retaining pins in the front. This way the wind helps to hold it in, instead of trying to pull it off...
Was thinking of adding a second magnet, but I'll look at that option too. Or maybe I'll just hot glue it down before each flight

Hey, you and Grasshopper are tied for "Thanks"!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:34 AM
Matt Halton
E-Flite Sea Fury pilot.

It would be a pity if prospective buyers of this fine model were put off by reading of regular accidents like ripping off the wingtips whilst belly landing etc.
Mine is almost 2 years old now,is my most often flown model and I've never lost a wingtip, it just goes on and on.
It sounds like some of you are slowing up too much and tip stalling in. Keep a little power on all the way down to land and cut the motor when near the ground with 15 degrees or so noseup (flare) don't prolong the flare too much or you will dork it.
I hope you can get around this!
Sorry to sound like I'm telling you what to do, just friendly advice.

The UF Hawk had a bad press from users on RC Groups when it first came out (torque rolling on hand launches and crashing)
I bought one regardless and was wary of this issue, but if you have a good technique,it really is simple.I have had 2 Hawks,never had a problem (except one was eaten by farm machinery when it went into tall crops and I couldn't find it.. )
The other still flies fine, but my point is that some people might be put off reading of planes prone with problems.Not so, it's flying technique,no more.
I'm not trying to sound negative,just hoping. I can help.I can direct you to videos showing landings/launches etc, if you'd like to see what I'm rambling on about!

Regarding magnets. Go and buy another magnet,take the metal plate out,glue the second magnet in, you will never lose a canopy again, guaranteed.
Enjoy your flying guys!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
....It sounds like some of you are slowing up too much and tip stalling in.
My first wing tip break was that for sure. The others just bad judgment on trying to land with the wheels when I should be belly landing. It is a fragile part of the airplane and not forgiving of mistakes, so no harm in pointing that out in my opinion.

That doesn't take anything away from the fact that it's a great flying plane! It is my current favorite too.

Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
Regarding magnets. Go and buy another magnet,take the metal plate out,glue the second magnet in, you will never lose a canopy again, guaranteed.
Enjoy your flying guys!
I was thinking of installing a second magnet on the hatch next to the first, but it sounds like you are recommending having magnet on magnet. Is that right?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Matt Halton
E-Flite Sea Fury pilot.

Magnet on a magnet, that's correct,it works great

Quick Reply: E Flight P 47 Thunderbolt

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12248 seconds with 13 queries