ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

T28 Trojan

Old 01-10-2009, 06:54 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JoeTheFlyer View Post
Re-maidened the Trojan after the crash today , i had forgotten how good this this thing was, its amazing. I noticed once at the field the rudder needed trimming quite intensely, and becuase i couldnt feel my hands it was so cold i was unable to unclip the push rod from the clevis.
So i just disconnected the rudder and flew without it. Once airborne i also noticed that it climbed a lot, and i had to input down elevator to maintain level flight, however, she's still the best plane ive ever had. Ill trim her up in the morning. The glued on wing worked like a treat, it still shows maximum strength after the flight. .

Flew the Spit as well, again it darted to the left upon launch, but this time i recovered it and climbed away. It's harder than the Trojan to hand launch, as weird as that may seem . Ive also noticed that the noise the motor makes is rather a roaring sound, i do not know whether or not it should do this . Espeically when it goes past me on full throttle. Anyhow, this is also a great plane, i recommend it for when your not flying your Trojan.

Are you flyign the Spit on the stock setup? If so, the gearbox will make that noise. you should hear it when you put a 3550kV inrunner in it hehehe

One thing to remember is that the spit will stall far faster in a tight turn and it has a wicked tendency to tuck under. its almost impossible to do that with the Trojan or the Corsair. The Mustang is even worse lol

GRU
Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Re-maidened the Trojan after the crash today , i had forgotten how good this this thing was, its amazing. I noticed once at the field the rudder needed trimming quite intensely, and becuase i couldnt feel my hands it was so cold i was unable to unclip the push rod from the clevis.
So i just disconnected the rudder and flew without it.

Congrats on the flights Joe. Imagine how much fun it will be on a warm clear day .
Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Smoke im begging for a warm day lol.

It's all stock GRU, it sounds brilliant, far better than the humming of a Trojan. Well, after the rudder problem with the Trojan, ive now found what the actual problem is. When i want the rudder to turn right, the push rod is pushed by the servo arm, however, rather than the rod getting pushed out and turning the rudder, it catches on something in the plane and just bends. I dont whether or not the rod is broken, ill check later after ive flown it again, (Without rudder lol) The servo seems fine, the push rod just bends instead of sliding out of the gap in the fuselage. Any suggestions? .
Old 01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Smoke im begging for a warm day lol.

It's all stock GRU, it sounds brilliant, far better than the humming of a Trojan. Well, after the rudder problem with the Trojan, ive now found what the actual problem is. When i want the rudder to turn right, the push rod is pushed by the servo arm, however, rather than the rod getting pushed out and turning the rudder, it catches on something in the plane and just bends. I dont whether or not the rod is broken, ill check later after ive flown it again, (Without rudder lol) The servo seems fine, the push rod just bends instead of sliding out of the gap in the fuselage. Any suggestions? .
If you can't isolate the point of friction, you could always slide on a carbon fiber tube and CA the snot out of it. 'Rigids' it right up - in fact if you look at the Spit's elevator conrol rod, it is covered by just such a sleeve/tube.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Just flown the Trojan again today, flies fine without rudder tbh. I'll have another look though, thanks for the advice GRU.

Flew the Spit as well, unfortunatley the whole spinner/nose cone and the weight came off during flight, and vanished into some nearby bushes, so i'll have to order another sometime. In the mean time, i'll fly without it lol.

Ive also devised a bomb dropping mechanism using an old servo, and by plugging it into the 'gear' slot on reciever i can open and close a door with the flick of a switch. It's made from Lego as well lmao, works brilliantly, i just strap it to the underside of the fuselage.

Happy Flying .
Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
fresbill
I Can Fly Inverted :)

Hey Joe,
Glad to hear the re-maiden went well for you, that's great.
It sounds like there's lots of parts on your planes you don't need to make them fly, like rudders, servo arms, spinners, landing gear & such. lol
At any rate I'm glad they're staying in the air for you.
Here's to warmer weather & more flying.
Bill
Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Got my PNP wednesday, set it up and bound it today, and will maiden at the AMA expo tomorrow! Its a nice plane.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:19 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
Got my PNP wednesday, set it up and bound it today, and will maiden at the AMA expo tomorrow! Its a nice plane.
Good luck Ben ! Tell us how it goes, the Trojan is a great plane. .
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Originally Posted by fresbill View Post
Hey Joe,
Glad to hear the re-maiden went well for you, that's great.
It sounds like there's lots of parts on your planes you don't need to make them fly, like rudders, servo arms, spinners, landing gear & such. lol
At any rate I'm glad they're staying in the air for you.
Here's to warmer weather & more flying.
Bill
Lol Bill i have to make do . The forecast is very windy today in UK so im grounded, it looks pretty bad for the rest of the week as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I can't afford the gas to get to the expo, its a 1 and 1/2 hour drive. But I am going to the feild right now to maiden it.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Jhondra

Got my "scratch & dent" Trojan for Xmas. The canopy was dented in a bit and the back of the wing (by the two plastic tabs) was really crushed. Also, the wing really doesn't mate up to the fuse very well and wobbles a lot. After some foam work and some CA glue, had it all cleaned up (put some 1/4" dense foam padding on the bottom of the fuse where the wings mate up and got the trailing edge tabs working).

Anyway, this plane looks GREAT in the air. I'm amazed at how big the fuse looks in the air compared to the other planes I fly (PZ Typhoon and EZ*). It actually looks a lot like a Zero in the air with the white and red coloring and decals. Still, unmistakeably a WWII style prop plane. It floats AMAZINGLY. Great glide characteristics and there is almost TOO MUCH elevator control (really having to back off the control surface movement for just the elevator).

Park Zone really has impressed me with their planes. I'm planning to probably get a Corsair eventually too. I wish their other WWII planes were more advanced (i.e. rudder and a brushless outrunner). I would love the spitfire and/or that FW190...but really can't get excited about a 480 brushed 3ch plane (yeah, I could convert them). Also, don't like that they don't come in a PNP version.

Joe, I'll bet the twist to the fuse and the horizontal stab may be contributing to your poor launch. As for the comment on the different sound on the motors, yup..that is how a 480 sounds. The low KV of the outrunner on the T28 is a big contrast to how a brushed 480 sounds and speed. You should hear my 2900 KV turnigy inrunner on my EZ* pushing a 5.5x4.5 prop. It is almost noisier than a nitro plane.

I really love how quiet the outrunner motor on that T28 is. It is soooo quiet. I have a 35-42C Turnigy 1100KV outrunner I'm thinking about putting on my Typhoon as soon as the geared inrunner dies...that should also be very quiet compared to the geared sound. Sure hate the digital servos "whine" on all these PZ planes, though. Drives you mad while you are getting things set on trims and stuff on the ground. Guess you don't hear them when flying though.

Last edited by Jhondra; 01-11-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Good to hear you have a Trojan Jhondra, it is one amazing plane. It does have that kind of Zero look about it.

My Trojan came dented etc... but so do all Parkzone planes, just ignore them you never see them in the air. My whole wing is glued on, so i would'nt worry about yours lmao.

My elevator has to be trimmed down because my Trojan has a tendancy to climb quite steeply under full throttle. It's a very responsive and aerobatic plane. I like the Spit the way it is, gives it great scale flying characteristics.

The last few launches with the Spit have gone very well, i must of been throwing at an angle or something, the rudder makes no difference at all.
The Spit makes a great sound compared to the Trojan lol.

Good luck at the field instead Ben lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Jhondra

My elevator has to be trimmed down because my Trojan has a tendancy to climb quite steeply under full throttle.
Joe, I suspect your problem with the trim on elevator is a CoG problem. Anytime you get dramatic different response across speeds, it is most often a CoG problem. I also had a MASSIVE CoG problem with this Trojan when I first flew. CoG was way too far back. The correct CoG is ~2.25" back from the leading edge of the wing measured 1" out from the fuse. Get that set, then trim your elevator for straight and level flight at about half throttle. You will LOVE it. With that setting, quarter or lower throttle, and this plane will drop altitude for nice landing settle very fast, and be much better flier. You probably have CoG too far forward(???) and have elevator trimmed up a little, to try to keep it from dropping. Once you go to full throttle, you get more airflow over the surface. When you look at the elevator on side or use a ruler on top/bottom of horizontal stab, is it nice and level at neutral trim? It should be.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

IT WENT GREAT!!!! I love this plane soooo much!!! my does go down a little because I am using a 2150mah instead of an 1800mah. It is so durable and can take all of the hard landings I can throw at. My last flight was when I hit my camera man, because he was to close, but his knee bent the prop. I got an eflite prop adapter and 3-blade today. Did I mention this is the best plane ever!!!!?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I hit my camera man, because he was to close
hahaha nice way to blame the victim! lol j/k

I too love my Trojan, but right now I am having some issues with it in flight. I replaced the stock motor with a Turnigy 35-30C 1100Kv motor and I'm using a Master Airscrew 10x6.

Problem is that it falls out of a roll to the right - I think the stock thrust angle is too extreme for the new power system. Prop is balanced, but I might try it with the stock prop and see how it goes. It still flies great, handles wind freakishly well, and it is a toss-up between it and my Corsair as my go-to plane.

The running lights are great for those dusk flying sessions or for that one last battery during civil twilight.

GRU
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Well I gave it full throttle and full up, as it was taking off it hit him between the legs. Thank god it didn't hit his manhood, or there wouldn't be any nephews LOL! I'm not gonna screw with mine. Most guys would put a power 10 and flaps, but mine it fine the way it is. Very nice plane, its got a little of everything. Speed, agility, foam, control, foam, glides a little, foam, brushless, foam, easy to fly, foam. Did I mention foam?
ITS AWESOME!!!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
fresbill
I Can Fly Inverted :)

Dude, Yours is Foam!!!
You're right it is awesome. Very cool that your maiden went well for ya.
Happy flying,
Bill
Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Just flew it again! in very close quarters, and it has the ability to turn on a dime. I will post a vid of me hitting my brother (with the plane) Because he taped all of my landings.
2 hours later back at my cpu.... Just flew it again! 3 times at the field with it on the maiden day with nothing broken, and completely drained six batteries! Life isn't so bad
Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Ben Congrats on your flights, i see you love your Trojan lots like us . The weather is just crap in UK, i mean really bad. All my batteries are charged, im just waiting for the wind to drop to a breath and for the rain to go away, and i'll be out!

Btw did you say it was made from foam?? Lol .

Happy flying guys.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
Joe, I suspect your problem with the trim on elevator is a CoG problem. Anytime you get dramatic different response across speeds, it is most often a CoG problem. I also had a MASSIVE CoG problem with this Trojan when I first flew. CoG was way too far back. The correct CoG is ~2.25" back from the leading edge of the wing measured 1" out from the fuse. Get that set, then trim your elevator for straight and level flight at about half throttle. You will LOVE it. With that setting, quarter or lower throttle, and this plane will drop altitude for nice landing settle very fast, and be much better flier. You probably have CoG too far forward(???) and have elevator trimmed up a little, to try to keep it from dropping. Once you go to full throttle, you get more airflow over the surface. When you look at the elevator on side or use a ruler on top/bottom of horizontal stab, is it nice and level at neutral trim? It should be.

Jeff
Thanks for the info Jeff, i'll check my Spit and Trojan later, i know that the Spit is definatley nose heavy, not sure on the Trojan lol . I have now however got at least 40 flights with the Trojan, i had it back in September, I find it flies fine. I'll take your advice onboard though, that's my weekend sorted .
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
hahaha nice way to blame the victim! lol j/k
I too love my Trojan, but right now I am having some issues with it in flight. I replaced the stock motor with a Turnigy 35-30C 1100Kv motor and I'm using a Master Airscrew 10x6.

I think I solved the issue with the loop stability in the Trojan, and I feel like a bit of a jackass. All this time since the rebuild I have been thinking the stock Corsair/T28 prop was a 9.5 x 5.5 - so I stepped up the new motor to a 10x6 MAS. Come to find out that the prop is actually a 9.5 x 7.5!!! which completely throws off my calculations and makes the 10x6 almost useless in exploiting the prop's power. I'm gonna try a 11 x 5.5 on it to see what happens.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Ben Congrats on your flights, i see you love your Trojan lots like us . The weather is just crap in UK, i mean really bad. All my batteries are charged, im just waiting for the wind to drop to a breath and for the rain to go away, and i'll be out!

Btw did you say it was made from foam?? Lol .

Happy flying guys.
Do you at least have FMS and the Trojan model to fly in the sim?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:23 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I don't have any sim at all. So after 2 ezstars, 1 SS, and a pz cub later, I've finally mastered it. It only pulls 20 amps with a 3-blade 10X7, with the 30 amp esc (I use the real meter). I fly full throttle all the time, but It doesn't give incredible power for full throttle. It feels meant to be flown at full. I think the solution to this instead of a power 10 is like a 12X10 prop, and if it pulls over 30 amps, I can steal my SS esc that is pulling 23 amps on a 36amp esc and 3amp bec. With same setup, just a 2-blade 10X10. It does have power though which I like.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I don't have any sim at all. So after 2 ezstars, 1 SS, and a pz cub later, I've finally mastered it. It only pulls 20 amps with a 3-blade 10X7, with the 30 amp esc (I use the real meter). I fly full throttle all the time, but It doesn't give incredible power for full throttle. It feels meant to be flown at full. I think the solution to this instead of a power 10 is like a 12X10 prop, and if it pulls over 30 amps, I can steal my SS esc that is pulling 23 amps on a 36amp esc and 3amp bec. With same setup, just a 2-blade 10X10. It does have power though which I like.
A 10x10 on the stock motor is a lot man. Im pretty sure the max amp draw on this motor is somewhere around 28-30 Amps - if you pull closer to 35 I think you will release the magic smoke.

GRU
Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Well everyone says a 3-blade 10X7 has more power and pulls more amps, which I use both of, and they only pull max 23 amps. Maybe 11X5 might do the trick.

Quick Reply: T28 Trojan

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13835 seconds with 11 queries