Did You Know? Wattflyer how too's and features articles.

WattFlyer Goes Mobile

Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Sam,
I have implemented a new Mobile template. Can you try it out? Your phone ought to point automatically to it, but if not, just chose it from the bottom drop down.

Anyone with an Iphone able to give me some feedback as well?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
paddyH

this is spot on for my iTouch many thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

I like the new layout! Easier of the eyes and loads faster on my non-edvo phone. One problem is when trying to search for this thread I recieved a "missing security token" message. I wish other sites looked this clean on my phone. Great work. BTW I'm the one using oPERA Mini.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Originally Posted by paddyH View Post
Great!

Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
I like the new layout! Easier of the eyes and loads faster on my non-edvo phone. One problem is when trying to search for this thread I recieved a "missing security token" message. I wish other sites looked this clean on my phone. Great work. BTW I'm the one using oPERA Mini.
Thanks. I think I know what the missing security token problem is. Ill fix that up shortly.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

The Search is fixed.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
adhoc
Andy AMA 909699

Originally Posted by paddyH View Post
Ditto, very nice! Thanks Mike!!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Sam_K

The attachments are great! Thanks!

On the other hand, the new theme seems to have larger fonts and lots of padding which means that I can only see a very tiny amount of the page in each screen-full. In fact a typical screen is usually at least 50% blank space.

For example if I view a forum, the link to the first post at the top of the forum is on the third screen, and then the line for each thread takes an entire screen-full each.

By comparison, the old template used to fit about 5 thread titles per screen.

Note that I use "Fit to screen" view mode which automatically wraps lines and resizes images to eliminate sideways scrolling. If I don't use this mode then a typical page will be three screens wide which is very annoying to read.

If I select the smallest text size then it can almost fit 2 thread titles per page.

I might post some pictures later to show what I mean.

For the record: Dopod 838 Pro, Windows Mobile 6 w/default browser (Internet Explorer), 320x240 screen.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Originally Posted by Sam_K View Post
The attachments are great! Thanks!

On the other hand, the new theme seems to have larger fonts and lots of padding which means that I can only see a very tiny amount of the page in each screen-full. In fact a typical screen is usually at least 50% blank space.

For example if I view a forum, the link to the first post at the top of the forum is on the third screen, and then the line for each thread takes an entire screen-full each.

By comparison, the old template used to fit about 5 thread titles per screen.

Note that I use "Fit to screen" view mode which automatically wraps lines and resizes images to eliminate sideways scrolling. If I don't use this mode then a typical page will be three screens wide which is very annoying to read.

If I select the smallest text size then it can almost fit 2 thread titles per page.

I might post some pictures later to show what I mean.

For the record: Dopod 838 Pro, Windows Mobile 6 w/default browser (Internet Explorer), 320x240 screen.
Unfortunately I cant control how devices display. I just provide a modified template that is basically dumb ed down to exclude all the glitter. I test the templates from a Palm Treo, 8925 Tilt and Iphone to ensure nothing breaks. This gives me a test platform from a basic web interface (Palm Treo), Windows Mobile IE (Tilt) and Safari (Iphone).

I have another one I am working on, but right now it doesnt show thumbs (only links) and isn't as attractive as the current one IMO.

Here are my testing screens from the Tilt and Iphone to show what I am seeing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	phone1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	68137   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	68138   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone3.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	68139   Click image for larger version

Name:	phoneside.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	68140   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	68141  

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	68142   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen3.jpg
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	68143   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	68144   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen5.jpg
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	68145  
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
bassplayinDude

Oooh! I like the new WFmobile template on my iPhone. Much better than the text-only pages I got when I checked it a month or two ago. I think I could actually use the WFmobile on a regular basis.

Thanks for all the work you do to make this site the best!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:18 PM
bassplayinDude

[Follow up]

It seems smileys aren't showing up in a post I'm reading on my iPhone. I'll check the thread now and see if I get the "?" missing graphic icon on my work computer.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Sam_K

Hi Mike,

A big thanks for your efforts on this mobile template, I really appreciate it!

My Dopod 838 Pro looks identical to that "Tilt" phone you have, both the phone itself and the WF pages on the screen.

Maybe it's just me, but don't you think there is a lot of wasted space in this theme? Mobile screens are small enough as it is and having to scroll around and read text in columns that are only 3 words wide gets old really fast.

Looking at the screenshots of the forum or thread views, those margins on either side take up a good one third of the precious little horizontal real estate you have.

On the main index of the forum, the blue search bar at the top is head scratchingly huge and the search button, logo, login name and last visit take up the entire first screen! On the old theme almost the entire forum index used to fit on one screen which was awesome!

I don't know, I guess it's all about priorities, you seem to be getting a lot of good feedback from other people here who like how it looks. I guess they must like scrolling a lot.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Mike,

It's slower than before but looks ok on my Palm Centro (Treo client). I still can not access the area I mentioned to you yesterday via PM, however.....
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

i'm really liking the new mobile theme on my iphone. its a great compromise between the old very babebones mobile theme and the full website.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Here is the other I am working on if anyone wants to try it. Like, I said, it isnt as attractive as the current WFmobile theme, but gets the job done. Attachments show up as links currently (ie: plane.gif) and not thumbnails as it isnt done.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php?styleid=15

(I had to disable the mobile phone autodetect for you to be able to view this as an FYI)
Old 06-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Originally Posted by Sam_K View Post
Hi Mike,

A big thanks for your efforts on this mobile template, I really appreciate it!

My Dopod 838 Pro looks identical to that "Tilt" phone you have, both the phone itself and the WF pages on the screen.

Maybe it's just me, but don't you think there is a lot of wasted space in this theme? Mobile screens are small enough as it is and having to scroll around and read text in columns that are only 3 words wide gets old really fast.

Looking at the screenshots of the forum or thread views, those margins on either side take up a good one third of the precious little horizontal real estate you have.

On the main index of the forum, the blue search bar at the top is head scratchingly huge and the search button, logo, login name and last visit take up the entire first screen! On the old theme almost the entire forum index used to fit on one screen which was awesome!

I don't know, I guess it's all about priorities, you seem to be getting a lot of good feedback from other people here who like how it looks. I guess they must like scrolling a lot.
I can see if I can get it to true up left. In all honesty, this theme was geared towards the Iphone and HTC touch users, but looked so good on my Tilt, I decided to stick with it.

Originally Posted by gfdengine204
Mike,

It's slower than before but looks ok on my Palm Centro (Treo client). I still can not access the area I mentioned to you yesterday via PM, however.....
Kev,
I am not sure why it is slower for you. It should be much faster since the file is only 48k. I'll poke around, but not sure what I can improve on. I will add the access you PM'd me about. I have to figure out why it isnt there as I am not seeing it either.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

just noticed this but the 2nd page falls back to the old theme. Attachments and avatars are showing so thats good. I normally in the forum directly and "new post search". I'm using opera mini and the mobile view.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Thanks Mike, I will keep playing with it.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
just noticed this but the 2nd page falls back to the old theme. Attachments and avatars are showing so thats good. I normally in the forum directly and "new post search". I'm using opera mini and the mobile view.
Can you explain further? second page falls back to the old theme?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

mike is there a way to access the user cp or at least the subscribed threads with the new theme? I may just be overlooking it. Thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
mike is there a way to access the user cp or at least the subscribed threads with the new theme? I may just be overlooking it. Thanks
Click on Private Messages and it will take you to your USERCP.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

ah ok, thank you!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:20 AM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons View Post
Can you explain further? second page falls back to the old theme?
I guess I was using while you experimented with the other theme(?).
It's all back to the nice clean theme.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Sam_K

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons View Post
Here is the other I am working on if anyone wants to try it. Like, I said, it isnt as attractive as the current WFmobile theme, but gets the job done. Attachments show up as links currently (ie: plane.gif) and not thumbnails as it isnt done.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php?styleid=15

(I had to disable the mobile phone autodetect for you to be able to view this as an FYI)
When I view this link on my desktop browser (firefox) it looks like exactly what I am after, a very compact, no non-sense theme. However when I click the link on my mobile I don't get the alternative theme, just the new WF mobile theme that we have already been discussing.

I still kinda scratch my head over how you can say the new theme looks so nice. I mean, yes the colours are pleasing to the eye and the font is nice, but the use-ability is awful.

However if you can offer both themes then I'll be a very happy camper! I don't even mind if I don't get attachment thumbnails, I am happy just to have links so I can view if I choose to. This would also work well for people who are on a mobile data plan with a very limited data cap. It doesn't bother me any more now that I get 100Mb on my plan but I used to get only 10mb which disappears VERY quickly.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

In the current configuration I can only offer one style. Unless I disable the Mobile autodetect and simply allow the user to choose his/her style. The reason I implemented the mobile autodetect is that users would not know about it unless I did that. I also set up the mobile theme as an alternative for someone wanting to check in while away from the computer and not as a primary browsing. I didnt really expect it to be as popular as it is.

I will research possibly setting up a second domain (i.e. mobi.wattflyer.com and iphone.wattflyer.com) and have those point to the respective themes giving the ability to kill the mobile autodetect.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 PM
bassplayinDude

Maybe you could add a couple of checkbox options at the top of the initial page when your mobile autodetect kicks into gear? Put the user right up front and center and let them pick at that time with a quick little "this can be changed at any time by doing ____" explanation below it? Once the choice is made, that section of the page goes away?

Quick Reply: WattFlyer Goes Mobile

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16986 seconds with 22 queries