General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Flying on purpose

Old 09-28-2016, 03:55 AM
Vic Z

Default Flying on purpose

Just wondering if I am weird, or if everyone goes to the field with a plan.
When I go out, I usually run the first battery on just warming up and checking trim, 2nd on landing practice, and then a few on certain skills that I am either learning or trying to improve on. Then a few on just screwing around poking holes in the sky or doing whatever I feel like.
Is that what everyone does, or do you just go out and play?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:09 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
Just wondering if I am weird, or if everyone goes to the field with a plan.
When I go out, I usually run the first battery on just warming up and checking trim, 2nd on landing practice, and then a few on certain skills that I am either learning or trying to improve on. Then a few on just screwing around poking holes in the sky or doing whatever I feel like.
Is that what everyone does, or do you just go out and play?
That method is practical and similar to what many experienced pilots would perform as a baseline when working with a newer craft (provided we have brought along a good selection of batteries)......more often then not, many of us prefer to consider flying as "flying with purpose" rather than a plan or "on purpose" exercise when just having fun..........every flight should bring down something refined or new to the bag/bucket of experience we gain.....
Old 09-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Vic I like your plan. Kinda like mixing work with play. Practice is good for you but it's not a lot of fun getting the fundamentals down. Takes some of the joy out of flying.

But you are learning and becoming better. After practice, go ahead and punch holes in the sky, get the happiness back as a reward for your hard work.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:35 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Depends on the model.

Some I just like to fly around and make dents in the sky. Others I like to try and form a pattern.

I used to set a routine to fly to - but those days are long gone. My skill is not what it used to be and I no longer fly competitions.

We have a guy in our club who flies near same routine every flight with only minor variations. To say he is good at the routine is an understatement.

For me - that would be boring. I am also guilty of trying to fly too many different types. Makes me Master of None.

As to plan before arriving at field ? Only plan I have is what models based on the weather.

Nigel
Old 09-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

I do a lot of touch n go circuits, sometimes deadstick so I really sharpen up my skills. Now if I can't land my plane within a few meters of my feet with a 20 km/h cross wind, then I'm pretty disappointed
Old 09-30-2016, 02:55 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

If I just go up and buzz around I get bored. I try to work on certain maneuvers that I am not so good at to try and get better. One of these days I will master that confounded 8 point roll...

If the right flying buddy is out we like to work on formation flying. That is fun and can be very challenging.

Then there are days where I just don't want to have to think very hard and will fly gliders just to putz around and be bored. It's good to be bored once in a while.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:03 PM
formontoya

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
If the right flying buddy is out we like to work on formation flying. That is fun and can be very challenging.
It's certainly NOT as easy as it looks from the ground, but you're correct...a lot of fun! Especially when you're flying something that can take a bashing in case you get too close .
Old 09-30-2016, 07:32 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Formation flying ... Oh Memories !!

One of the Clubs I flew with in UK was into trying to formate flying ... what a laugh. We tried everything from written list of manouevres ... one as Master - others as slaves so Master acted like Red Arrows Leader ... roll left GO ... pull up GO ... etc. etc.

Did it work ? No !! Even Skyleader Team of Binks and Co. couldn't formate cleanly !!

Club I am flying with now .. have tried but it was just like two separate flyers in same space !

Funny thing is best formation 'look-alike' is Pylon racing !! Because everyone is intent on tight course - the models look like they are connected to each other !!

It all comes down to the age old matter of we are not sitting IN the model and acting based on visual from ground.

Last time at Cirava ... with my Hummer I started chasing a small fast model of another guy when he was in circuits ... that was close to formation but he had no idea I was chasing him ... and there were no manoeuvres.

Good fun !

Nigel
Old 10-01-2016, 12:04 AM
Vic Z

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
If I just go up and buzz around I get bored. I try to work on certain maneuvers that I am not so good at to try and get better. One of these days I will master that confounded 8 point roll...

Then there are days where I just don't want to have to think very hard and will fly gliders just to putz around and be bored. It's good to be bored once in a while.
I remember when just getting up and down was a challenge, the an oval, then an 8. Loops were easy, but a rolling almost destroyed my poor Sportsman. Come to find out it has an absolute pathological reaction to being inverted. Just heads straight for the ground.
Next were basic pattern maneuvers, inverted flight, and now it is 3D.
If not challenged I just get bored I guess.
I am working on harriers and knife edge right now. My next goal is to go vertical, back flip into an elevator, and flat spin down into a harrier. I can do it all, but the flat spin aint so flat, and I am very unstable in a high alfa attitude.
That is what is so awesome about this hobby. The challenge never ends. Always the next big challenge, and the next plane with which to do it
Old 10-04-2016, 03:05 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I wish someone would have gotten the new maneuver we started doing with our tidewater float planes at e-week. We would climb vertical to almost a stall and then hammer to full throttle and full down elevator. It would start flipping end over end losing altitude like a rock... weird but cool. Then the challenge became who could do the most flips before hitting the lake! lol I managed 10 at the most then my plane was flying weird. Landed it and the elevator servo was going bonkers. It is toast and I need a new one now.

Who knew I would need metal gear high torque servo's in a foamy float plane! LOL
Old 10-04-2016, 04:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The challenges are always there. Whether its a new manoeuvre with an old favourite model or a new model to get to do old fav manoeuvres ...

I used to have immense satsifaction out of proving a bog standard trainer could do square loops ... inverted etc.

To use an American expression : Expand the envelope !

Nigel
Old 10-04-2016, 06:14 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

We try formation occasionally. 3 Souped-up T-28's. Looks cool when we make a big air slow turn to base and then go to the deck . Then go vertical where the center guy does a reverse 1/2 Cuban and the 2 outer guys veer off in opposite directions.
Get it right about 1 out of 10. Fun trying though. Takes a lot of practice and good communication.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Vic Z

That's what makes this hobby so much fun. Always something new.
Like Nigel said, whether it is a new maneuver with an old plane or an old maneuver with a new plane, it is still a challenge and a thrill.
That is where I have all of you guys beat. Being a newbie, it's all new to me. Much of what you guys take for granted is the coolest thing in the world to me
Is what Bill talking about like a continual waterfall? Sounds fairly simple and really fun. I imagine that like a knife edge spin it is pretty tough on and maybe abusive to the plane.
Can't wait to try it