Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Convert Nieuport 28

Old 06-10-2021, 02:02 AM
amladinic

Default Convert Nieuport 28

Iím planning to convert my Nieuport 28 (an old Pilot kit .40-.45) to electric. What engine is recommended? Where may I get a motor mount?
Thanks,

Antonio
Old 06-10-2021, 11:09 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

In had that kit back in the 80's and actually placed 8th in South of England Scale competition. Mine had a Merco 60 Glow engine, dustbin muffler and large prop ...

I would love to have that model again.

BUT the ground handling due to that short scale nose was terrible. She would veer all over the place never keep a straight line !!

OK - what electrics ?? I would be looking at minimum a 4250 sized about 500 - 600KV motor on 4S - 5S ..... and a 13" prop. Because she will need weight up front for CoG - you could go to a 4850 .. 5050 sized motor on 5S ... with 14" prop (need to check ground clearance). Yes technically they are more power than the 2str 40 glow - but the model was only adequately powered on a 40. She was much better on a 60 glow - especially if it was a lower RPM motor.

Motor mount ? I would construct a plywood box with tabs into suitable slots in firewall ... the beauty with electric - is you do not have the vibration / stress of the fuel motor ... you could be clever and design the box to also hold the LiPo reducing the need to add lead for CoG.

The matter of LiPo access is going to need careful thought as the model is not designed for items to be in / out so easily.

Nearly forgot .... I had one construction problem with it ... the aileron torque rods .... mine were in two parts each side and black metal. The parts were designed to be inserted and telescope together inside the wing trailing edge and be soldered ... my soldered joint would only last a few flights and I needed to redo. I had 'access patches' in the solartex underwing to do this !!

Pilot Kits .... in those days were some of the best models ever !!
Old 06-10-2021, 12:38 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by amladinic View Post
... What engine is recommended? ...
Below an excellent quote about motor selection.
From
brushless motors Kv?.
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
While an absolutely critical part of the system ...
... Kv is actually the item one should choose last.
  1. Decide your peak power requirement based on the weight of the model and how you want to fly it:
    Magic numbers for modellers.
  2. Pick a preferred cell count (voltage) and pack capacity for how to deliver the power.
  3. Pick a prop that will a) fit on the model and b) fly the model how you want - often as big as will fit is a good choice, but if high speed is the goal, a smaller diameter higher pitch prop will be more appropriate.
  4. Look for a size class of motors that will handle the peak power - a very conservative guide is to allow 1 gram motor weight for every 3 watts peak power.
  5. Then, look for a motor in that weight range that has the Kv to achieve the power desired with the props you can use - a calculator such as eCalc allows very quick trial and error zooming in on a decent choice. For a desired power and prop, you'd need higher Kv if using a 3 cell pack compared to a 4 cell pack. Or for a desired power and cell count, you'd need higher Kv if driving a smaller diameter high speed prop compared to a larger prop for a slow model.
The reason I suggest picking Kv last, is that prop choices have bounds - the diameter that will physically fit and the minimum size that can absorb the power you want. On the other hand, combinations of voltage and Kv are much less constrained - at least before you purchase the components.

So Kv is not a figure of merit, in that higher or lower is better, it is simply a motor characteristic that you exploit to make your power system do what you want, within the constraints you have, e.g. limited prop diameter, if it's a pusher configuration, or if you already have a bunch of 3S packs and don't want to buy more, and so on.

Minor lay-out changes by RvS
Old 06-10-2021, 02:37 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

eCalc is one of the best investments online for this work. The peanut cost is well worth it and saves all the heartache of choosing setup's.