Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Any other RC hobbies?

Old 03-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Shredder111
Car Beater!

Default Any other RC hobbies?

Do you guys have any other RC interests other than planes? I love RC cars!!!! I have a highly modded Evader ST and I bash the crap out of it I will put some pics up later. Include pics if you want.

Shredder111
Old 03-26-2006, 04:42 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

I grew up with rc cars, then went to planes then we got into boats for a season. i just got me a small toy boat the otherday at K mart to play with in my gfs swimming pool but its not very fast.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:42 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

I do have an interest in RC model ships, but for some reason, almost no interest in cars, but I have had a couple tanks, and someday I would like to get one of those semis advertised in Tower. One of our lab techs got an assignment to buy and build a couple for an SAE show last year. A box trailer with a COE, and a tanker with a conventional tractor. Now, they are COOL!!

I almost got jealous. Imagine your company buying a couple and paying you to build something like that. And test them out on business hours.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:54 PM
frvrngn
Oops....

Started with cars. Had electric buggies for a long time, then got into carpet cars. Stopped for a long time and just got into flight last summer and am addicted more than the old cars!

Last summer when we moved to SC I had to clean out the old attic. I found my old box of car parts! I put together and am still running now an old Grasshopper and a BearFoot monster truck Had to refill the shocks and replace all the dry rotted rubber bits, but they are both running great. I even found an old Pocket Rocket race motor from my carpet cars that I threw into the Grasshopper. Now it does wheelies the entire length of my driveway! When its too windy to fly or I just want to goof off for a bit I take out the cars and run around.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:21 PM
vicman
Carolina Crew Ambassador

I got to fly a sub inside a nuclear reactor last year. Is that anything?
My son and I also enjoy trucks and rockets.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:32 PM
MikeMc
Sponge Mike

Only because my son is into them but cars, trucks, tanks.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Shredder111
Car Beater!

Wow! It is great to see such a diverse array of interests I am also interested in rockets, but for now I cannot find any motors I may build a rocket soon though

I cannot wait until I get started with RC Planes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shredder111
Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
vicman
Carolina Crew Ambassador

While I realize you are located on the moon (why don't people tell the truth? ) Wal-Mart is everywhere. If you need larger than the C or D motors and you were somwhere near me I could still hook you up.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 AM
BillM

My other R/C passion is boating. I like all kinds but prefer sailboats. I have 3 sailboats and 4 power boats. I don't sail as much as I would like. The place we used in the past is now off limits due to a change of ownership. Looking for a new venue at present.

BM
Old 04-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Jollyroger
Jollyroger

I had an Associated RC 10 GT for a couple years. I moved on to fast electric boats. My first was built from plans from RC Boat modeler. Bought a 6 cell from Blew By You and now running a Fine Design Offshore 32" with SS-1 motor through a Fine Design gearbox. All F.D. hardware. Goes like stink with 16 cells.
Also built a design by Jay Turner called the Yellow Jacket, 6 cell outrigger hydro for brushed motor.
I like boats as there are a lot of lakes in my area.
My older brother is scratch building a scale model of an 1898 torpedo boat called the "SS Erickson" He lofted the hull and built it up from wood and then glassed it . Also built all the drive hardware aw well as scale prop shaft struts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 6.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	10712  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Hmmmm.. Couldn't get into cars at all, everything was 2-dimensional, no altitude, and no orientation when looking down!!! Wierd...

I have an r/c boat that I built many years ago. It is a 24" semi-scale model of a San Francisco ferry, but I got hung up on the technology: rocking-beam engine, 5' (yes, folks, that's five feet) bore, 11' stroke, steam, capable of 22kts (!), talk about a BIG waterspider! All this and it was built in the 1850s. Haven't run it yet...
Old 05-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Jollyroger
Jollyroger

Tlyttle, how about some pics?
Old 05-02-2006, 03:33 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

I'll try, it will be a couple of days...
Old 05-03-2006, 07:36 PM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Default 2-dimensional r/c ing

I mentioned a boat...
If the pics go through, this is a San Francisco passenger ferry from the 1850s that I built (and obviously never finished, no deck detail) some years ago. The original had been named for the owner, JM Donaldson, but I used the same script to rechristen it in honour of my mother; she loved it! I only got it back after she died a couple of years ago, and other projects got in the way of me finishing it.

Again, I get very little kick out of running boats/cars, but I should get on with this one while my eyesight holds out!

Length is 24", power is an old German-built Richard motor with 6-speed planetary gearbox. Construction is just doorskin, cheap and easily worked.

One of these days...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Paddlewheel 1.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	10890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paddlewheel 2.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	10891  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Jollyroger