Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Hacker A60-6xs

Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 PM
ukgooner

Default Hacker A60-6xs

Hi
ive just ordered an Extreme Flight Vanquish 2metre and am thinking
about motor options, they recomend a Hacker A60-6XS for the 6s option
all up weight will be about 10lbs with a 5000ma high discharge lipo
can anyone tell me what sort of performance to expect from this motor
i see some people use 10s with this aircraft and am not sure if the hacker
on a 6s will give me good performance, not looking for 3d performance
but it still needs to be fun, anyone able to give me some advice or opinion
thanks, Neal
Old 09-28-2014, 11:04 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Neal The Hacker Motor is a very Good Quality motor, In fact maybe the best The Hacker motor your looking at, A60-6XS 6 cell, will draw a lot of amps on 6 cells and give you short flying times, if you want to use a hacker motor, you would be better off to use the A60-7xs v2, its for 8S, and will draw less amps turning the same prop.
Another motor you may want to use is the Suppo 5330 on 10 cells, it will give you lots of power and speed, and use even less amps with a 10 cell lipo, with a plane that size, 8 or 10 cells is best to use, if your going to use 10 cells, use 2 - 5 cell lipos in series, The Hacker motor alone is around $200.00, the Suppo motor, which is a very very good Quality motor, I belive they are made by Welgard, The Welgard 5330 series has been has been used in F3A competition aerobatics world wide with great success.The Suppo/Welgard motor is $77.99

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brush...ower-160-equiv

100 AMP ESC $84.01

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ESC_Ver4_.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...otor-help.html
Old 09-28-2014, 11:19 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ukgooner View Post
Hi
ive just ordered an Extreme Flight Vanquish 2metre and am thinking
about motor options, they recomend a Hacker A60-6XS for the 6s option
all up weight will be about 10lbs with a 5000ma high discharge lipo
can anyone tell me what sort of performance to expect from this motor
i see some people use 10s with this aircraft and am not sure if the hacker
on a 6s will give me good performance, not looking for 3d performance
but it still needs to be fun, anyone able to give me some advice or opinion
thanks, Neal

Yup

I've got the Hacker A60-5S motor, with a 10S2P A123 pack, similar to an 8S 4400 Mah LiPo pack. FYI, these 60 class Hacker motors use an 8 mm hardened steel propeller shaft, with 8 mm threads on the prop shaft itself. There is no prop adaptor. That A60-5S motor shaft is 8 mm at the prop, with what looks to be a shaft diameter of 10 mm inside the motor and its bearings.
https://www.aero-model.com/8_72_1127...A60-5S-V2.html

The above mentioned Suppo motor and the Hacker motor are about the same physical size, KV and weight. Interesting though, the winding resistance of the Hacker is 1/3 of the Suppo's motor resistance. If they are using these motors as Chellie indicates, they must work rather well, especially at 1/3 the price of the $$$$ Hacker.

The model is a Redwings MXS-R, weighing in at 222 ounces. The Hacker turns the 19X12 APC-E wide blade prop at 6600 RPM on the ground, hitting 7150 in the air per the Castle Creations ESC's datalogger.

The CC datalogger indicates 82 Amps at full throttle, 2400 watts. The Motocalc program indicates 175 Watts per pound of airplane, 93% efficiency, and 3500 Feet per minute, vertical climb out. It would probably do 3D with a different prop, butt that's not my thing.

This model will climb out, straight up, and keep going. The models on board flight counter just passed 112 flights today.

If this is your first high powered electric model, make danged certain you have a throttle kill switch on your transmitter. A 19 inch prop turning at 6500 RPM is nothing to fool around with. These power systems can remove parts of your body, and not even slow down. My Spektrum DX8 transmitter makes it easy to program the gear switch as a throttle kill switch.

Take a look:

Redwing MXSR Model
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72225

Last edited by kyleservicetech; 09-29-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 PM
ukgooner

Hi, thanks for that, looking at it i think i will give 6s a miss
8 or 10 seem the way to go, hoobyking do a g160 for less than $80
and is a copy of eflite power 160, thanks again for your help
Old 09-29-2014, 05:41 PM
ukgooner

Hi,as for thottle kill switch, i have the new dx6 for a basic radio it has a lot
of functionality, can you tell me if the throttle kill that i use for ic would work
with electric, also ive seen videos on you tube where they seem to activate
the system after the batterys have been conected with some sort of plug
any idea what this is
thanks again
Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

I saw a Eflight Power 160 fly yesterday in a members 12 pound model. It flew quite well.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Hi,as for thottle kill switch, i have the new dx6 for a basic radio it has a lot
of functionality, can you tell me if the throttle kill that i use for ic would work
with electric, also ive seen videos on you tube where they seem to activate
the system after the batterys have been conected with some sort of plug
any idea what this is
thanks again
Check the DX6 LCD menu for a "Throttle Kill" function. I think the DX6 and DX8 have some of the same features. If your throttle kill for IC shuts off the engine, that would be the same thing.

Yup, the DX6 does have a throttle cut function. Page 29 of the DX6 manual.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf

Just a note, my DX8 throttle kill function ran up the electric motor to "idle" speed when activated. To use the throttle kill switch, you've got to run the throttle trim tab all the way to the bottom, full off.

You can also insert a "Jumper" in series with your red positive battery pack, using a Deans connector, APP connector, or similar. If needed, I think I've got a spare unit set up that I can use for a photo.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM
ukgooner

Hi, was looking at the 160 hobbyking do a copy for around $75, im in the uk
and the e-flite power 160 is almost $250 the hacker $300, phils hobby shop
can ship to the uk for $170, we pay through the nose for everything here (but we have lovely castles) lol. a photo would be great, i like my fingers where they are
thanks, Neal
Old 09-29-2014, 07:29 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Hi, was looking at the 160 hobbyking do a copy for around $75, im in the uk
and the e-flite power 160 is almost $250 the hacker $300, phils hobby shop
can ship to the uk for $170, we pay through the nose for everything here (but we have lovely castles) lol. a photo would be great, i like my fingers where they are
thanks, Neal

Yeah, the UK prices. I was in London several times a few years back as a stop over from India. Was shocked at the price of petro in London back then. Right now, we're paying about $3.40 per gallon, what is it in the UK? I did get time between airline flights to see one of your castles. Very interesting!

As for the electric motor, it would probably be best to get the best motor you can at a reasonable price. In the USA, the Hacker is around $220 or so. That Suppo motor Chellie suggested is a pretty good price, but I've got zero experience with it.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 PM
ukgooner

HI as for the price of petrol(you might like to site down for this) we buy in litres now thanks to the french, works out about
$9.50 a gallon, i kid you not , thats why we all drive diesels, i average about 47 mpg.
if you manage to give some info on a jumper set id be grateful, an 8s hyperion motor with 2500 watts max output, and 90 amp hv esc is about 200 in the uk, i will wait
till the airframe turns up to see how much room i have to play with
Neal
Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Might want to stay away from the HK Larger motors, they are great for throwing magnets, the wellgard/suppo motor or the Hacker motor are good quallity motors that wont give you problems, if you do buy the HK motor, get some high temp epoxy and add more epoxy to the motor magnets so they dont come loose and seize up the motor.

Last edited by CHELLIE; 09-29-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:27 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

HI as for the price of petrol(you might like to site down for this) we buy in litres now thanks to the french, works out about
$9.50 a gallon, i kid you not , thats why we all drive diesels, i average about 47 mpg.
if you manage to give some info on a jumper set id be grateful, an 8s hyperion motor with 2500 watts max output, and 90 amp hv esc is about 200 in the uk, i will wait
till the airframe turns up to see how much room i have to play with
Neal
Price of Petro, Yikes!

Attached are three photos of an Arming setup I used on a previous model. The connectors are the AMP type, Deans or similar can also be used.

The two thinner wires are for the charging connection of the battery pack. This was used for Nicad batteries, long long ago.

One connector is blank, and is used for "parking". Also note that the arming connections are rotated 90 degrees, so it is not possible to plug in the arming plug into the battery charging connector, and get a dead short.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Arming I.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	177570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arming II.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	177571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arming III.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	95.1 KB