Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

ORIGINAL astro hog plans

Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 AM
spitfire
Not the best

Default ORIGINAL astro hog plans

I am looking for a copy of the ORIGINAL astro hog plans...

I found a newer redrawn in the build links thread, but I would really like a copy of the original...

I have seen several people offering it to someone... which makes me believe someone has it on their computer...

thanks! SPIT.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 AM
spitfire
Not the best

well, I found them... kinda:

http://www.xlistplans.demon.co.uk/radio.htm

they are 16.50... not sure what the conversion rate is... but yeah, I found the original...

its just, I was hoping to not have to pay for them... I might have to at this point,

that biggest thing is I have to reduce the scale anywho... so I will have to take them to kinkos and spend a lot more then I would if I had them on file...

anyways... SPIT.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:15 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Spitfire, you may be better off reducing the Sig Astro Hog plans as this would result in a lighter model. The original used a boat load of balsa blocks and doublers and required a ton of muscle to sand out to shape. ( I cheated and used a belt sander and then finished by hand ) That was to many years ago. I later gave the model to a friend who is still flying it after around forty years.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 AM
spitfire
Not the best

Originally Posted by starcad View Post
Spitfire, you may be better off reducing the Sig Astro Hog plans as this would result in a lighter model. The original used a boat load of balsa blocks and doublers and required a ton of muscle to sand out to shape. ( I cheated and used a belt sander and then finished by hand ) That was to many years ago. I later gave the model to a friend who is still flying it after around forty years.

yeah, I am interested in doing what sky_sharkster did and redraw them to a smaller size... so I will probably just get the sig plans? I assume I have to buy them...

SPIT.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Astro Hog Plans?

Hello Spit,
I can send you a copy of my 1/2 size plans, if you want. These are the reduced (modern) SIG plans, not the originals. I don't have the full size plans, I borrowed a set to reduce.
I'll check into copying prices and let you know. I'd guess it would be less than 16.50 Euro (I think a Euro is about $1.50).
But if you want any other size than 50% I can't help you.
Let me know,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1793.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	115982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	115983  
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Ryan Flyer
K Close's friend

I think I have the full size ones. Let me check and get back to you.

Ryan Flyer
Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 PM
reg3

I've got an Autocad file of the Astro Hog that I got somewhere. Would that be of any benefit?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:45 PM
aramid

I've got a set of the original plans, and I assure you you will be better off with the set Sharkster is offering - the Sig plans are updated slightly and should be easier to build from.

However, I also have a PDF plan for a 1/2-scale Astro Hog which I got from forum member Andrew about a month ago and would be happy to email you. They are even simpler construction than the Sig plans, although there are a few differences - the tail is a different shape and the plans only show a rubber-band wing attachment. When I get around to building one, I intend to correct both of these things; neither should be too difficult.

You would have to take them to a copy place like Kinko's to get them printed, which will cost around $5. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
spitfire
Not the best

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
Hello Spit,
I can send you a copy of my 1/2 size plans, if you want. These are the reduced (modern) SIG plans, not the originals. I don't have the full size plans, I borrowed a set to reduce.
I'll check into copying prices and let you know. I'd guess it would be less than 16.50 Euro (I think a Euro is about $1.50).
But if you want any other size than 50% I can't help you.
Let me know,
Ron
how close to the original are the sig plans? I know they are simpler... but how much has changed in them? they are of the tail drager version, right?

SPIT.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default SIG vs Original?

Hi Spit,
I believe the SIG plans follow the original outlines, airfoil, moments and areas pretty close. They did modernize the spaces for equipment which has gotten much smaller since the 1950's. But the outline is correct, as far as I know.
The SIG plans show both landing gear installations, trike and 2-wheel mains. The original had two-wheel (mounted in the wing, this is shown on the plans) with a steerable tailwheel, that's what I used on my version.
Let me know what you want to do. I'll try to get a price on copies, but it may have to wait til after Christmas shopping! Last minute, that's me.
Ron
Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 PM
pd1
Still Learning

This place sells the original Astro Hog plans for $10. On paper.

http://tomdixon.tripod.com/plans4.htm

This place also sells the plans for the Hog. On disc. Easily scaled to other sizes.

http://myunclewilliestoo.com/about1.html

Major differences between the Berkely Hog and the Sig hog are:
Original low mounted stabilizer. Sig move the stabilizer to the upper part of the fuselage.
Barn door ailerons Sig is strip ailerons
Tail wheel configuration. Sig can be either trike gear on conventional gear
Top of fuselage hatch is removable.

Ron's plans would still be easier than either of these to do.

Also Paul Bradley is selling a laser cut kit for the Hog, half sized.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Astro_Hog_page.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	116009  
Old 12-19-2009, 07:44 PM
spitfire
Not the best

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
Hi Spit,
I believe the SIG plans follow the original outlines, airfoil, moments and areas pretty close. They did modernize the spaces for equipment which has gotten much smaller since the 1950's. But the outline is correct, as far as I know.
The SIG plans show both landing gear installations, trike and 2-wheel mains. The original had two-wheel (mounted in the wing, this is shown on the plans) with a steerable tailwheel, that's what I used on my version.
Let me know what you want to do. I'll try to get a price on copies, but it may have to wait til after Christmas shopping! Last minute, that's me.
Ron
alright, after Christmas is fine... I got plenty of planes to build right now anyways...
just let me know the prices when you get the time...

SPIT.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 PM
spitfire
Not the best

I got the plans, and I started a build log:

http://www2.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52955

Thanks.