Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

My Avatar, 1/2-Sized "Astro Hog"

Old 02-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default My Avatar, 1/2-Sized "Astro Hog"

In another thread RC-Pilot asked about the model in my avatar. I PM'ed him an answer but will also reply here, in case anyone else is interested;
The model in the photo is my 1/2-sized version of the Astro Hog.
The Astro Hog was first published in the April 1958 issue of Model Airplane News as a construction article, designed by Fred Dunn Jr. Within a year it swept 1st, 2nd and 3rd places at the Nationals, Multi Class (Pattern or Aerobatics, now) and became one of the most influential 4 channel designs of its time. It was soon kitted by Berkeley Models and hundreds of versions were built, including an Astro Bipe, Mini Hog and other variants. Berkeley went out of business in the 1960's but the plans were still available and the Hog lived on.
In the 1990's SIG began kit production of the original design, with provisions for "Trike" landing gear as well as the original 2-wheel gear. I borrowed a set of the SIG plans and had them reduced by 1/2, resulting in a 35-1/2" wingspan model. I traced the reduced plan outlines and re-configured the model for electric power, micro servos, reduced wood sizes and a large battery compartment. I retained the flying surface shapes, sizes, airfoils and the 2 wheel wing-mounted landing gear.
The resulting model is powered by an AXI 2208/26 outrunner, 3s 1350mAh Lipoly, C.C. Thunderbird 18a ESC, uses 3 Hitec HS 55 servos, FMA Direct M-5 receiver and is covered with red + white SoLite. RTF weight is 17 ounces and it flys great!
Since there was a 1/2A (glow) sized model published in the 1960's American Aircraft Modeler (which I couldn't find a copy or plans of), it is eligible for "Nostalgia" pattern.
A bit of R/C history!
Ron
Old 02-26-2007, 06:00 AM
R.C.Pilot
70's kit builder

Ron
Thank's for the reply and info, its a good looking plane and a great lineage.
The Astro Hog has some following due to its flying characteristics, several flying friends of mine built them in the early 80's when we flew in the Ca. desert.

That and the PT-19 are on my to-do list along with others, as well as my Trainermaster and A-Ray by AAMCO /Andrews.

I did'nt rcv a pm though?? but thank's for the update here as I forgot to check the other thread where I asked.

My Avatar shows my Jemco fun scale P-51D in dynaflite color scheme
and my 1975 Sig Kougar original by Claude McCullough, befor the MKII version was released. Both may be converted to E-power once I get a better understanding of electric setups. This site is a tremendous help and its appreciated.

Enjoy"
Old 03-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by R.C.Pilot View Post
That and the PT-19 are on my to-do list along with others, as well as my Trainermaster and A-Ray by AAMCO /Andrews.
I have a set of 1/2A Astro Hog plans in pdf format if you're interested. There's a free software download that lets you resize PDF files or print them fullsize on 8.5x11 paper.

PM my if you want the plans.

andrew
Old 03-01-2007, 02:27 AM
R.C.Pilot
70's kit builder

Andrew
Hey Thank's for the offer, I sent you a PM.
That's nice of you
Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 AM
mpotter187

Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I have a set of 1/2A Astro Hog plans in pdf format if you're interested. There's a free software download that lets you resize PDF files or print them fullsize on 8.5x11 paper.

PM my if you want the plans.

andrew
I am interested in this as well do you mind if I PM you to get the plans as well? It is my favorite plane in FMS and I would love to build one up.