Carry a plane in a backpack? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!
View Poll Results: Which glider is better?
kinetic 800
25.00%
hobbyking bixler
75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Carry a plane in a backpack?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 AM
w3_

Default Carry a plane in a backpack?

I need a plane that I can carry when I bike to my fly area (I am not old enough to drive and it is out of walking range). I will have a backpack to carry it. Maybe the kinetic 800 from HK would be good because it requires no glue and the wings can be removed easily. I dont really want a tiny plane but it is not a huge issue. This will be my first plane...
Also i would like a 4ch plane (electric glider or trainer)

thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Captainchris

ST Parkzone, its a good trainer, but is on the big side :-(
Wing does screw on and off, just depends how big you backpack is lol
Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Umm, why not a simple bike rack mounted on the rear. You could easily strap a fuse and wing to it. Carry your tx, packs, and repair supplies in your back pack.

Or something like an arrow quiver. Slip the fuse in nose first, and follow with the wings.
Get to the field and pull out your weapons from their sheath.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 AM
zoltron55

I would use a rear rack& a sturdy box. check out what people in asia put on their bikes you will be amazed
Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I don't know either of those planes.

Frankly the bike rack comments is a good one. I would look for a plane that goes back into the box at the end of the day. That usually means a tail that tapes on or is attached with screws.

The Bixler looks a lot like an Easy Star and the Easy Start tail can be taped on.

But even if you go with a back-pack and can't remove the tail, both look like good choices. If you are a new pilot I would go for the Bixler for the high motor. If you are experienced I think I like the look of the Kinetic better.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

I went to visit a friend back east (I live in CA) and I wanted to take a plane. I built a box so I could remove my wings from my T-28 (foamy) and put both the wings and the fuselage in the box and then checked it as baggage. On a bike rack, the box would stick out a fair amount, and a wee bit smaller plane would be easier but you get the idea. You could even make your box out of reinforced card board. Get creative, you can find a solution. We've all done some silly things in order to fly. Of course to us, it does not seem strange, just to those who have never been bitten by the bug like us!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 PM
mark2cars
WattsupMark

Take a look at your local thrift stores for a soft "junior" size golf bag. Lots of exterior pockets for storage and a nice strap for carrying.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 PM
RedHorse101

This might be an old thread but this was my experience before, I once made a backpack-style box exactly as you describe: plywood sides with spruce bars at the corners. I attached a pair of nylon straps to carry it: one strap attached slightly above the middle point (lengthwise, box sitting upright on its smallest face) of the box going near opposite side lower corner, another strap in a mirror image. When worn on your back, the strap crossing would be at about halfway between your shoulders and buttocks. Bottom of the box would be at about waist height and the top well above your head. Heavy items, such as the transmitter and nose of the plane at the bottom. Worked pretty well, even in the T-bar style ski lifts. Would have been even better with a third strap around your waist to stabilize the sideways movement of the bottom part.

The reason I'm explaining all this is that maybe this backpack-style could be less cumbersome than something permanently attached to the bike. Just to provoke thought. Do you need to transport the winch and battery as well? In that case how about a trailer, glider box attached to the towbar?

1mm plywood would be rather flimsy, imho, but usable. That's what I used, so I should know. If you can live with the weight, I would suggest something a little beefier.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:47 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Tie a string to it and fly it to your field like a kite! Maybe.

Had a lot of experience with fishing poles tied to the frame from the steering tube to under the seat.

Last edited by birdDog; 07-25-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:50 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

What about a rack, side bags, or trailer?

Going to get a bad case of Hanger Rash in a backpack.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:13 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ive seen people use these
http://www.walmart.com/ip/InStep-Rob...ailer/23816280