4 ch plane for a begginer? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

4 ch plane for a begginer?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM
w3_

Default 4 ch plane for a begginer?

I am looking to buy a electric plane that is relatively cheap ~$100 with transmitter/receiver, battery. Where should I buy from? It would be nice if the plane would be able to fly inverted for when I get better at flying. I would be flying at a park which is like 3 soccer fields side by side. The Gee Bee from e-flight looks good but slightly expensive for a beginner.

Last edited by w3_; 03-28-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 AM
NFA Fabrication

I am not sure if I am reading your post correctly. Are you asking for a RTF 4 channel plane for $100?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by w3_ View Post
I am looking to buy a electric plane that is relatively cheap ~$100 with transmitter/receiver, battery. Where should I buy from? It would be nice if the plane would be able to fly inverted for when I get better at flying. I would be flying at a park which is like 3 soccer fields side by side. The Gee Bee from e-flight looks good but slightly expensive for a beginner.
There are RTF models as you want ... model, radio gear etc. all set up to out of box and plug in battery ... go.

BUT generally it is not as simple as that as many are not well balanced, are cheap crap. Often taking a bit of work to sort out. Huinges by rubbish tape, battery pack / motor combo marginal power etc.

But you can take a 3ch machine and make it 4ch and get what you want ... just takes a liittle work and find other RC people like a club. I actually recc'd a 3ch trainer modified to 4ch as a start machine and on. Even with the V in the wing, dihedral, for rudder use - ailerons will work as long as that V is not excessive. The capability of such a machine is far beyond what you think and a look at my youtube solentlifeuk ... you can see examples of such trainers cavorting around the sky .. inverted, rolls, the lot.

Forget the GeeBee .. it is a minimum wing model that will bite you. You need a Cessna looking style ... ie the box fuselage with high wing. That is more stable and will be more forgiving to fly.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Dynam Hawk Sky from Nitroplanes.com. I think the RTF version still sells for around $100.

Pros:
Excellent flying air frame.
Docile and easy to fly for a beginner, relaxing and fun for intermediate.
Very durable foam.
The pod mounted motor and prop survive rough landings. Unless you land inverted. Don't land inverted!

Cons:
You'll need to buy a charger. The stock charger is utter garbage and breaks after a few uses.
I've never flown mine on the stock radio, so I can't vouch for it.
You might get seriously addicted to RC and get into heavier drugs, such as balsa 3D planes. That's what happened to me, so be warned!

I still fly my Hawk Sky, although it's now heavily modded and does about 70-75mph...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
HobbyJumper

Welcome. Here on Wattflyer the prevailing wisdom for teaching yourself to fly (I think most would agree) is to start with a docile durable 3 channel, make lots of mistakes on it, crash the snot out of it, and only go to a 4-channel aerobatic-capable ship once you know what you're doing. I took this advice and it worked for me. I still fly my 3-channel planes just for fun, or when conditions are gnarly.

3 fields may sound like a lot, but if just learning, you'll be surprised how fast you run out of room (or into a light pole, grandstand, soccer net, guy in a Leafs jersey, dog) if not flying a nice slow trainer.

Have you thought about the Parkzone Champ RTF?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Very true, HobbyJumper. However, the Hawk Sky is extremely docile and can be flown as a three channel (bank and yank).

But the best advise is, and will always be, get your AMA card and join a club. I was a bit reluctant as I thought the experienced pilots would laugh at me, but I was proven wrong. Plus it's a ton more fun than flying alone!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Take NJ Swede's advice and join a club in the Toronto area. Most clubs( ours does) offer training on buddy boxes. The worse thing that can hapen is they make you stand in the middle of the field with a Penguins jersey !
Old 03-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Voltron

I have to agree with the Swede on this one. I learned on a 4 channel and flew for 15 years before I flew my first 3 channel plane.

If you are not going to have an instructor teach you, I highly suggest that you invest in a flight simulator. There are some pretty inexpensive simulators available these days that do a good job of getting you stick time without wrecking balsa or foam.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Back in 1980's .... I was a 3ch "advisor" then started teaching people on a LHS made Starlight trainer. It had enough dihedral it could fly on 3ch, but was also with ailerons that you could lock or activate and have 4ch.

It was fine ... 4ch was my advice and even today I would say - 4ch is not the beast that some imply. The secret is not the 4th channel is actually having that touch of dihedral to level the model when sticks let go ... whether from rudder or ailerons.

Go join a club .......... 1000% good advice. There is no substitute for a good instructor by side ........... it has more than just flying advantages ..
Old 03-31-2012, 01:04 AM
w3_

I just got a flight sim (aerofly professional deluxe cuz i have a mac) and I am almost ready to practice as soon as I program my ps3 controller to act as a transmitter...lol. I also heard that the bixler is better than the hawk sky...is that true?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:18 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

I just got a flight sim (aerofly professional deluxe cuz i have a mac) and I am almost ready to practice as soon as I program my ps3 controller to act as a transmitter...lol. I also heard that the bixler is better than the hawk sky...is that true?
I haven't flown the Bixler, so I don't know. My guess is that they're very similar when it comes to flight characteristics. Bixler owners are probably going to tell you the Bixler is better and vice versa.

You just have to understand what it is you're buying: In both cases, you're getting a proven air frame that flies really well. But, in order to keep the price down, the electrics aren't going to be top notch. But the electrics are easy to upgrade when and if you feel you need it.

Starting in a sim is a good idea. A PS3 controller isn't going to be perfect, but it'll get the job done in terms of teaching you the basics. Get your comfort level up in the sim, and you'll save yourself some cash and tedious repairs.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 AM
w3_

where should I buy from? I live in Toronto.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I would try a store. Online or regular should work. I hear hobby shops specialize in those types of things.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

You can get proper USB Transmitters for small money ...

Using a game controller is not a good idea.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
eagle33

Here's another vote for the Hawk Sky. I've had mine for about two years and still enjoy flying it. Also joining a club is excellent advice.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:30 PM
mred
Super Contributor

As I understand it, you are a beginner, so forget the GB, you won't last 30 seconds with that, - EVER. You will never get enough flight time on it to learn how to fly, so it will do nothing but hurt you in your learning. You need a nice slow high wing and 3 channel is plenty for a start. You can use a 4 channel radio for that, but you don't need ailerons to start out. Rudder and elevator is plenty to start with. Also, most of those ready to fly planes have a VERY cheap radio and will not last or do what you really want in the long run. You can buy a good 4 channel radio with transmitter and receiver of under $100.00 and have a good radio. The better radio you buy the longer it will serve you. Using a flight sim is great and does help, but there is nothing like experience and that comes from flying the real thing and it really helps to have someone to help you through this part of your flying. Joining a club is the best thing you can do as a beginner and there is normally someone that is assigned to help you at every club.

Ed
Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Check out RC Canada:http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

You can surf around ebay and look for a good RC store or if you have Craigslist, you may find a good used plane. Mazybe a few nicks and scars but sometimes you can find a gem from someone moving or leaving the hobby for whatever reason.

My take on this is you want to start off as cheap as you can before the real addiction sets in.

You may want to also check out your LHS and build a relationshio with them. If you ever decide to scratchbuild something, a local resource for small parts is nice to have.

Still think it would be great if you could find someone to hook you up to a buddy box. When you start to lose the plane in the "coffin corner" your instructor can take over and save the day.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

where should I buy from? I live in Toronto.
The Hawk Sky? Nitroplanes don't deliver to Canada? I thought they would...
Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM
eagle33

Since when did Nitroplanes quit delivering to Canada? If they did, you can get the Hawk Sky from Greyson Hobbies in Atlanta, Georgia.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

+1 on what njs said[simulator]
+1 on what solentlife said[full size tx to hold]
+ 1 on what hawk said[hook up with others]

and + one on what mred said[all of the above]

lots of great advise,and you also have "greathobbies"stores in canada with a huge selection of planes,they send me notices all the time.

best of luck on making good choices and you'll be addicted to this hobby after flying successfully once.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:25 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

oh yeah,i forgot one thing......

welcome to wattflyer!

Great Hobbies

Great Hobbies is Canada's leading dealer for radio controlled models and related hobby products.
www.greathobbies.com
Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mred View Post
As I understand it, you are a beginner, so forget the GB, you won't last 30 seconds with that, - EVER. You will never get enough flight time on it to learn how to fly, so it will do nothing but hurt you in your learning. You need a nice slow high wing and 3 channel is plenty for a start. You can use a 4 channel radio for that, but you don't need ailerons to start out. Rudder and elevator is plenty to start with. Also, most of those ready to fly planes have a VERY cheap radio and will not last or do what you really want in the long run. You can buy a good 4 channel radio with transmitter and receiver of under $100.00 and have a good radio. The better radio you buy the longer it will serve you. Using a flight sim is great and does help, but there is nothing like experience and that comes from flying the real thing and it really helps to have someone to help you through this part of your flying. Joining a club is the best thing you can do as a beginner and there is normally someone that is assigned to help you at every club.

Ed
I agree with all ........... but many models at budget price do come with 4ch radio ... which really is not such a bad deal ... it's added little to combo price ... and they do work. I had one with my ME109 ... it worked and it now sits on my bench as a test machine.
If I was to set-up a cheapo machine that didn't need fancy expo - I would use it.
It's also a lesser investment if person decides it's not an ongoing want.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM
mred
Super Contributor

If you can find one with a good 4 channel, then that would be the way to go. Those cheap 3 channels are not much to look at, or use for that matter. The last one I had the throttle was on the back and the elevator was on the left stick with the rudder on the right stick and the sticks were one channel only. It stunk to say the least. I got a good 4 channel for $25.00 and it works great. It's a Futaba and while it didn't have much, it had more then my OLD 4 channel radios did.

Ed
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Captainchris

A good plane to start with is also the ST Discovery, i had that to begin with and flew so well. Yea i did crash it a few times, but with a little glue up it went again.
It's a 4 channel plane but i never used the 4th channel when learning. Flew nice, very doclile, and when you get good will fly upside down etc.. not a super fast plane but a nice one to chill and learn with!