Newbie with dynam sky hawk - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Newbie with dynam sky hawk

Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 AM
sadman

Originally Posted by sadman View Post
Thanks again for the advice...... now where is that phase 3 fantom or ef-16 forum.............
Well I ended up with a WOT4 foam-e, I needed a plane capable of taking off/landing in order to do my bronze flying test, it was a good choice

Of course I still use the hawk sky and my bro in law has been having probs with his.
He let me have a go with his and it was constantly nosing up so we checked the centre of gravity and it needed quite a bit of weight on the nose.
Now it flies level but constantly wants to roll even though the aelerons are level. Even with full opposite trim it still is hard to fly.

What we'd like to know is - what else other than the wings could be causing a roll? We have 3 pairs of wings total so we will swap out some for others to see if it still rolls. The body looks ok so its hard to imagine anything there is causing the plane to roll.
Cheers
Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 AM
sadman

Also, a few problems with my hawk sky.

Twice lately the motor stopped responding, once after only a few minutes flying, I thought I'd lost total control but after looking at the video I think the servos were still working.

The second time I was very high and again the motor stopped. I was able to glide and eventually the motor started again.
I don't know what to blame. Between me and my bro in law we have 3 hawk skys, it should be easy to swap around parts till we find the faulty one but the motors and mounts are hot glued in and the speed controller looks impossibly difficult to reach.

If I was to run mine on the ground until the motor cuts out and then feel the speed controller will it likely be very hot if it is faulty? I'm pretty sure it was not the same battery each time.

Also, the elevator servo is twitchy - ie if I pull completely down on the stick the elevator goes up but then twitches around a bit, therefore makes control of the plane in the air twitchy.

I'm feeling nervous about flying it since I don't know when it might cut out, and how the servo might be.

Anyone experienced these symptoms before?

cheers
Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 AM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Question balance

Well I ended up with a WOT4 foam-e, I needed a plane capable of taking off/landing in order to do my bronze flying test, it was a good choice

Of course I still use the hawk sky and my bro in law has been having probs with his.
He let me have a go with his and it was constantly nosing up so we checked the centre of gravity and it needed quite a bit of weight on the nose.
Now it flies level but constantly wants to roll even though the aelerons are level. Even with full opposite trim it still is hard to fly.

What we'd like to know is - what else other than the wings could be causing a roll? We have 3 pairs of wings total so we will swap out some for others to see if it still rolls. The body looks ok so its hard to imagine anything there is causing the plane to roll.
Cheers

Check your lateral balance,..........wing tip to wing tip

Finish nails of the right size work great, pushed into the wing in the right spot
Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 AM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Also, a few problems with my hawk sky.

Twice lately the motor stopped responding, once after only a few minutes flying, I thought I'd lost total control but after looking at the video I think the servos were still working.

The second time I was very high and again the motor stopped. I was able to glide and eventually the motor started again.
I don't know what to blame. Between me and my bro in law we have 3 hawk skys, it should be easy to swap around parts till we find the faulty one but the motors and mounts are hot glued in and the speed controller looks impossibly difficult to reach.

If I was to run mine on the ground until the motor cuts out and then feel the speed controller will it likely be very hot if it is faulty? I'm pretty sure it was not the same battery each time.

Also, the elevator servo is twitchy - ie if I pull completely down on the stick the elevator goes up but then twitches around a bit, therefore makes control of the plane in the air twitchy.

I'm feeling nervous about flying it since I don't know when it might cut out, and how the servo might be.

Anyone experienced these symptoms before?

cheers
Airflow, if it is hot it may be the overheat on the esc cutting out? Over-proped, small battery, many questions Is it stock?

FB50
Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 AM
sadman

Originally Posted by FlyingBrick50 View Post
Check your lateral balance,..........wing tip to wing tip

Finish nails of the right size work great, pushed into the wing in the right spot
I didn't think to check that way - thanks hopefully get that done tonight

Originally Posted by FlyingBrick50 View Post
Airflow, if it is hot it may be the overheat on the esc cutting out? Over-proped, small battery, many questions Is it stock?

FB50
Everything is stock aside from the dents and the hot glue
Cheers FlyingBrick50
Old 08-27-2011, 11:30 AM
martyp57

I'm struggling with the Hawksky at the moment, maybe I don't have the CoG set up quite right, but I find it a handfull, even in light winds.
I can only use my glo trainer at the flyingfield but it's a bit far away and would like to practice in our local park, would the WOT4 foam-e be a good choice for this, or maybe even to replace my glow trainer, which is a bit of a faff and quite messy too.
I'm also hoping to get my bronze medal, but at my current rate of progress that's years not months away.

BTW how are you getting with the WOT4 now yourself?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 AM
cc83

I found I had to really dial down the rudder control or the plane would roll and slip into a dive almost like a snap with almost no input, still trying to really get used to the tip stalls, anyone have a simple mod to reduce that tendency? it does seem like the plane wants to fly until it just can't then it drops, perhaps that's the nature of the beast.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 PM
sadman

Originally Posted by martyp57 View Post
I'm struggling with the Hawksky at the moment, maybe I don't have the CoG set up quite right, but I find it a handfull, even in light winds.
I can only use my glo trainer at the flyingfield but it's a bit far away and would like to practice in our local park, would the WOT4 foam-e be a good choice for this, or maybe even to replace my glow trainer, which is a bit of a faff and quite messy too.
I'm also hoping to get my bronze medal, but at my current rate of progress that's years not months away.

BTW how are you getting with the WOT4 now yourself?
My bro in law was having real trouble with his hawk sky it flew ok in calm weather but was really difficult in wind.
At full throttle it wanted to fly up all the time, even though elevator was level etc, it was really difficult to fly.
He needed a real lump of lead on the nose to get the centre of gravity level. The centre coincides with the centre of the servos on the sides more or less. So then it flew better but really suggish with the weight. We couldn't understand why he needed so much weight to level out the plane.
We thought the angle of the motor was wrong but it may turn out to have been the tape. He had it taped up with strong white tape, whereas mine has a thicker type of sellotape which has little weight.
The total weight of the tape was 73grams which was spread over the plane and he flew it without tape and it went well.

What's your hawk skys behaviour, will it fly level? do you have any extra weight in it? Is the centre of gravity ok? Is the lead weight still in the front of the nose?
We have noticed that the plane will waft about in winds so you have to power through it when you need to in which case it's important that it flies straight and level at full throttle (as with all planes I'm sure)
My bro in law was flying fine without wind nice and slowly in big gentle circles but when he tried to use power in wind it just rocketed up in the air.

The WOT4 foam-e is a great step after the hawk sky. I would definitely recommend a transmitter where you can turn down the rates though.
Mine does very fast spiralling and flies upside down no trouble, it also goes straight up in the air after take off (took me a few tries to get take off better without going straight up)
And I have only flown at 80% rates
If you turn the rates down it flies nice and gentle but then it can be a little bit harder to get out of trouble.
The plane can go from crazy fast to as slow as the hawk sky glides whatever you want.

One thing I learned, the bronze is mostly about safety, it's not about flying perfectly. It's not about having perfect height all the way through etc.
I think the hawk sky not being right has been holding back my bro in law, sounds like yours is not quite right too.

hope some of this helps
cheers
Old 09-02-2011, 04:29 PM
sadman

My hawk sky has had a dodgy elevator servo almost since day one.
It calmed down a bit until I crashed into a tree and the tail broke off and after I hot glued it, it was twitching worse than ever. It would sometimes make the hs plummet straight down.
I've changed receiver and so can rule that out.
Well I was shopping for a new servo today when it occured to me to swap elevator and rudder servos since I don't use rudder much anyhoo. After I did that both servers work perfectly result.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Thumbs up Yepper

My hawk sky has had a dodgy elevator servo almost since day one.
It calmed down a bit until I crashed into a tree and the tail broke off and after I hot glued it, it was twitching worse than ever. It would sometimes make the hs plummet straight down.
I've changed receiver and so can rule that out.
Well I was shopping for a new servo today when it occured to me to swap elevator and rudder servos since I don't use rudder much anyhoo. After I did that both servers work perfectly result.
Sometimes the simple things are overlooked,......yepper Happy Flying

Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 PM
sadman

Ok, I killed my motor on the hawk sky by flying in the rain
It flew fine, I had the canopy covered over with polythene, and it was light rain.
I crashed into long grass trying to fly inverted but it was pretty gentle no damage to be seen. When I tried the motor it would kind of tick round and then stop....
I though maybe it just needed to dry out or a clean but neither has worked.
So I think I need a new motor.
I wouldn't mind an upgrade but I also wouldn't mind having a use for the spare 5x5 props I have.
The motor I have is a dynam speed 400 motor.
The speed controller is 18 amps.
I'm prepared to buy a motor and speed controller and I know a little bit but haven't bought a motor before.
I have 2200 lipos 3 cell so I don't want to change batteries.
Any help choosing what motor would be good for me would be appreciated.
I'm in the UK
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Smile motor wires

Ok, I killed my motor on the hawk sky by flying in the rain
It flew fine, I had the canopy covered over with polythene, and it was light rain.
I crashed into long grass trying to fly inverted but it was pretty gentle no damage to be seen. When I tried the motor it would kind of tick round and then stop....
I though maybe it just needed to dry out or a clean but neither has worked.
So I think I need a new motor.
I wouldn't mind an upgrade but I also wouldn't mind having a use for the spare 5x5 props I have.
The motor I have is a dynam speed 400 motor.
The speed controller is 18 amps.
I'm prepared to buy a motor and speed controller and I know a little bit but haven't bought a motor before.
I have 2200 lipos 3 cell so I don't want to change batteries.
Any help choosing what motor would be good for me would be appreciated.
I'm in the UK
Check your wires going to the motor, one my have come loose, that or the motor is shorted, use a volt meter and check all the leads to ground it should not go to ground (motor bell, shaft). Those motors are bad about pulling the wires loose from the stator. It could be the esc but I doubt it. Replacement would have to run the same dia prop due due clearance to the fuse.

FB50