Hobbico NexStar Mini EP R-XR vs RTF - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hobbico NexStar Mini EP R-XR vs RTF

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 AM
BenLewNC-4

Default Hobbico NexStar Mini EP R-XR vs RTF

Hello, I am new to WF and to the hobby of rc airplanes!

For my first airplane I was thinking of buying the Hobbico NexStar Mini EP. This comes in the RTF version which includes everything you need to fly and a tactic 4 ch tx, or the R-XR (PNP) version which doesn't have a battery or tx rx. My question is whether i should go with the RTF and the included radio, or if I should buy the Spektrum dx5e radio with 5 channels for $60. The reason I would do this is so that I could have a 5 ch radio which I could keep for other planes. Is this radio compatible, and what receiver would I need to purchase? How much would the right rx be? Also, what battery/charger would you recommend? So pretty much im just asking what I would need to buy if I went with the R-XR version (and what brands you would recommend) and how much all the additional stuff would cost.

Thanks alot!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Welcome to the ADDICTION Ben, and to WATTFLYER!!!

Are you going to try and be self taught or going with an instructor?

If you are going the self taught route, I'd shy away from a balsa bird. A foamy is so much easier to repair when you boink it. And you are going to boink it.

There are quite a few foam birds out there that are good trainers.

If you are going the instructor route the Nexstar isn't a bad bird. It does have some built in features for crash damage prevention.

As for your questions, well if you buy the RTF version, you are stuck with what it is transmitter and receiver wise. You will have to buy your extra receivers from Hobbico. Not blasting Hobbico but, for the most part included items like the transmitter and receiver and charger are not of the highest quality.

You really need to ask yourself if this is something you want to do for a long time or if it's just a passing interest, before you jump into buying things.

If it's just something you want to give a go to, go with the RTF.
If you are planning to stay with it, go with an ARF, and spend the money for a good transmitter/receiver package, and charger. Good money spent now will last you a long time. Poor money spent will be spent over and over.

Anyhow, if you go the ARF route, receivers like for the Spektrum system, are in the 40 to 50 dollar range. A decent charger anywhere from 50 to 100+, dependent on how far you want to go. Lipos, decent ones in this size are around 20.

As far as brands, well if you are going 2.4, just remember that whom ever you decide to go with, you will be stuck using only their brand transmitter and receivers. They do not mix and match between brands, unlike the old 72 systems where you could.

Best of luck!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I've flown the Nexstar Mini, tho is advertised as a trainer is abit quick for the first plane, you could make it with a qualified instructor, and yep its balsa, so things can break, but it flys stunning.

Abit more docile is the Eflite 450, also a high wing, slightly larger, flys abit slower for the newbie, but again also balsa, I really like this 450 model as will take a short cut grass landing allowing more room for you on touchdowns.

Then we have the foamies, often the preferred to start with, Super Cub usually at the top of the heap but has a lower quality transmitter setup, but its a beauty to learn on, many have maidened by themselves with this gentle flyer, as I did !

Good Luck ! Keep us posted ..<>..
Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 PM
BenLewNC-4

I will have an instructor for my first few flights, but this is just a friend of mine so it will not be any sort of official course, just to get me off the ground. And while I know that a foam plane is more durable and easier to deal with after a crash, I have some experience with balsa plane construction, and liked the look of a balsa much better. I also liked that the nexstar had the aileron extensions, and brake flaps which are both removable. Even with these, is it still fast for a trainer?

Does the rx tx that comes with the RTF nexstar have the ability to be removed and used with future planes?

Which radios would you recommend in that price range?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Yes you can pull the rx and use it in another bird.

But given the choice between the stock tx and the Spektrum, hands down the Spektrum. Not only do you get an extra channel, but you have Horizon for customer service, and they are great!

Think ahead when you buy items, like I stated earlier. 5th channel will allow you to fly a bird with retracts later, or flaps, or a bomb drop, etc.

Honestly I'd tell you to look at the 6 or 7 channel, but they are quite a bit more money.