how long have you been flying RC. - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

how long have you been flying RC.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:37 AM
  #26  
proptop
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 83
Default

I started flying R/C in '74 after a few years of controlliners...
I was 14 and shoveled driveways, delivered newspapers, and mowed lawns.
My mom matched my earnings and I got a "slightly" used Blue Max 4 channel and a partially built Falcon 56 for $125.00 (lot of $$ for me back then!
I bought a new Enya .29 for it (my first "big" engine) and flew practically every day for a few years until I got a girlfriend and my first car...
Had to get a job, etc. etc. so I had a brief sabatical (about 10 years) until I got back into it with electric power...
I also fly fuel burning noise makers, but that's another forum, ain't it?!
proptop is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 03:44 AM
  #27  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
Thread Starter
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by proptop
I started flying R/C in '74 after a few years of controlliners...
I was 14 and shoveled driveways, delivered newspapers, and mowed lawns.
My mom matched my earnings and I got a "slightly" used Blue Max 4 channel and a partially built Falcon 56 for $125.00 (lot of $$ for me back then!
I bought a new Enya .29 for it (my first "big" engine) and flew practically every day for a few years until I got a girlfriend and my first car...
Had to get a job, etc. etc. so I had a brief sabatical (about 10 years) until I got back into it with electric power...
I also fly fuel burning noise makers, but that's another forum, ain't it?!
I think we all started with them loud noise making machines,as Electric back 10 or more years ago were a 20 sec motor run and it shut off you glide down lol.I love the Electric planes.we have glow still.I hope one day to make Electric,when the Big motors and Big batterys get cheaper.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:02 AM
  #28  
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?
 
Unbalanced prop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 412
Default

I started in the early sixties with control line and free flight. Moved up to RC in mid sixties. Built my first radio from a kit. It was single channel non-proportional radio. I used a rubber powered escapment to move the rudder (FULL right or FULL left). First model was a Carl Goldberg Skylane cessna powered with a Cox .049. Had a ball with that until cars and women and college took over. Took it up again in the early eighties, but then I had kids and the hobby took a back seat again. Started again in June 2003 with glow but quickly switched to electric. I seem to be getting better as I usually bring my planes home without needing repair. Really like the ease, cleanliness and performance of electric. I even converted two planes I had glow engines on. A CG Falcon 56 and a GP Big Stick 25. They fly better now then they did when they were all slimy.

Doug
Unbalanced prop is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:23 AM
  #29  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
Thread Starter
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by Unbalanced prop
I started in the early sixties with control line and free flight. Moved up to RC in mid sixties. Built my first radio from a kit. It was single channel non-proportional radio. I used a rubber powered escapment to move the rudder (FULL right or FULL left). First model was a Carl Goldberg Skylane cessna powered with a Cox .049. Had a ball with that until cars and women and college took over. Took it up again in the early eighties, but then I had kids and the hobby took a back seat again. Started again in June 2003 with glow but quickly switched to electric. I seem to be getting better as I usually bring my planes home without needing repair. Really like the ease, cleanliness and performance of electric. I even converted two planes I had glow engines on. A CG Falcon 56 and a GP Big Stick 25. They fly better now then they did when they were all slimy.

Doug
thats the Big part I DO NOT miss,cleaning up.I loved to fly but at the end of the day always had to take the wings off and clean the planes and get home and had to oil the motors.NO more of that woohoo I love that.its so simple.alltho in the morning or after rain I have to wipe mine off cause it gets wet but thats not bad as oil and crap.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:28 AM
  #30  
sb13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Valparaiso, Indiana
Posts: 68
Default

I've been flying for 3 months now. I started on the G-3 at home and then built a 3-d foamy and went flying. Did'nt know this was a bad choice at the time. I broke it and glued it back together many times but now I do ok. I've built 7 planes now and working on number eight.
sb13 is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:34 AM
  #31  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
Thread Starter
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by sb13
I've been flying for 3 months now. I started on the G-3 at home and then built a 3-d foamy and went flying. Did'nt know this was a bad choice at the time. I broke it and glued it back together many times but now I do ok. I've built 7 planes now and working on number eight.
WOW 7 planes in 3 months,you like building? LOL.Well so can you fly and land w/o brecking something now? a 3D plane will fly nice and easy if you set it up for it.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 AM
  #32  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
Thread Starter
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by Jason T
Yep, fly with Parsons.
He is a good guy,I meet him at the Cobb County Electric fly this year,I would have meet him at SEFF if I would have only known who he was. I was standing right beside/behind him a few times there admiring his Yak but didn't know who he was and that he was on RC Groups.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:44 AM
  #33  
zappedalaskan
Member
 
zappedalaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Posts: 841
Default

22 years building and flying planes. Two years building and learning heli's. I love my planes, but I have to say that These new electric 3D heli's are a blast. Fun to build and exciting to fly.
Take care,
Jay
zappedalaskan is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 08:11 AM
  #34  
Boomerang
Member
 
Boomerang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 181
Default

About 37 years for me, started at about 10. Control line at first, then free flight. A bit of a break to play with motor cycles and girls & on to radio when I got back into the hobby at about 19.

Still fly I.C. scale models and have bought a turbine but electrics are what I fly the most including an indoor helicopter. - John.
Boomerang is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 10:34 AM
  #35  
debhicks
Debbie Hicks
 
debhicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Etowah, North Carolina
Posts: 751
Default

Well I have been flying since 1997.

Husbands been doing it since the early 70's. His history would include a couple years in Omaha Nebraska for anyone who may have known him. He was in the Air Force at that time. He was also affiliated with Bob McDaniel and the Ni-Starter.

Be cool if someone knew him was here.

So he knows that electric has come a long way.
debhicks is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 01:46 PM
  #36  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
Thread Starter
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Thanks everyone for answering,keep them coming,its great to hear when people got into it.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 04:17 PM
  #37  
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly
 
Mike Parsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 5,136
Default

Originally Posted by Jason T
Yep, fly with Parsons.
Noooooo...I fly with you
Mike Parsons is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 06:39 PM
  #38  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
Thread Starter
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons
Noooooo...I fly with you
HAHA thats funny.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 06:52 PM
  #39  
Ron
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chilliwack BC Canada
Posts: 692
Default

Can't really remember what year I first started...I'm 60 and been flying on and off since I was 9......started off with control line .049...Cox PT 19...then went into combat for a few years..then along came the family...started up again about a dozen or so years ago, have flown exclusively electric since about '94 everything and everything if it has wings I like to fly it....more wings the better like WW1 stuff,
dabble in pattern, and 3D too.
Ron is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM
  #40  
buzzbomber
Matt Smith
 
buzzbomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Newton, NJ
Posts: 563
Default

Had a brief period of infection with the r/c aircraft bug in the mid eighties, but high school and then college cured it(I did mess around with r/c cars while the plane bug went dormant). In winter 2001/2002, I saw the GWS J-3F on the LHS shelf and bought it and all the gear to get started. Now, I think the r/c bug is an incurable chronic one.
buzzbomber is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 07:21 PM
  #41  
johnhay73
New to RC
 
johnhay73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun
Wow only a month,Aint RC just so much fun? What did you start out with and what you looking for now?
I am flying a T-Hawk right now. I take it out every day. It's such an easy plane to fly. The 3 channels and decent power let me really whip it around in the sky, but let go of the stick and throttle and it eases itself into a gentle glide.

When I am confident enough I would like to move to a 4 channel setup with the brushless and Li-Po. I have seen a lot of nice planes, but there is a mini extra 300 that has really caught my eye. Do you think that that would be too big a leap from a forgiving 3 channel?
johnhay73 is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 07:26 PM
  #42  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
Thread Starter
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by johnhay73
I am flying a T-Hawk right now. I take it out every day. It's such an easy plane to fly. The 3 channels and decent power let me really whip it around in the sky, but let go of the stick and throttle and it eases itself into a gentle glide.

When I am confident enough I would like to move to a 4 channel setup with the brushless and Li-Po. I have seen a lot of nice planes, but there is a mini extra 300 that has really caught my eye. Do you think that that would be too big a leap from a forgiving 3 channel?
Ugh,mini Extra that might be to big of a leap.Not sure I dont think I have seen that one who sells it? Maybe I should buy my gf the plane you have she wants to learn but wont listen to me on the buddy box so I dont know maybe she needs a plane I'm not worried about her brecking lol.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM
  #43  
rcers
Super Contributor
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,314
Default

Hmmmmm How about 1978. I started with rockets, control line and then quickly off to RC. Smashed an Airtronics QT into a million pieces on my first flight! Got a Marks Models 72" wanderer after that and did hand launch after hand launch until I got the drift.....

Mike
rcers is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
  #44  
johnhay73
New to RC
 
johnhay73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun
Ugh,mini Extra that might be to big of a leap.Not sure I dont think I have seen that one who sells it? Maybe I should buy my gf the plane you have she wants to learn but wont listen to me on the buddy box so I dont know maybe she needs a plane I'm not worried about her brecking lol.
Here is a webpage that shows the mini extra. And here. I think your right about it being too big a leap. It just looks like it would be so much fun, though.

The t-hawk is quite resilient to my crashing, plus it comes with a spare wing and tail feathers. I had never flown before and had no training but was flying loops within a day. It also handles moderate wind quite well. I give it a thumbs-up.
johnhay73 is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 PM
  #45  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
Thread Starter
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

Originally Posted by johnhay73
Here is a webpage that shows the mini extra. And here. I think your right about it being too big a leap. It just looks like it would be so much fun, though.

The t-hawk is quite resilient to my crashing, plus it comes with a spare wing and tail feathers. I had never flown before and had no training but was flying loops within a day. It also handles moderate wind quite well. I give it a thumbs-up.

I just looked at it and No thats not a 2nd airplane unless you have someone to help you and I dotn think you do.Find something like a stick or something,they have a eletric one called a three Dee or something like that i think tower Hobbies sell it.Not really sure but a low winger like that would be to much I think.I mean if you want to try then go for it but Dont want to see your money go into the ground.
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 PM
  #46  
b pannier
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: salt lake city, ut
Posts: 3
Default

50 years.....
b pannier is offline  
Old 08-18-2005, 10:37 PM
  #47  
Jason T
Electron Liberator
 
Jason T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,103
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons
Noooooo...I fly with you
I almost wrote that the first time but I thought I'd be nice.
Jason T is offline  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
  #48  
ragbag
Super Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,344
Default

Almost twenty minutes, then I have to go charge my battery again!!!!

I am a slow learner. Might get another battery, maybe two.

By george
ragbag is offline  
Old 08-19-2005, 03:43 PM
  #49  
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly
 
Mike Parsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 5,136
Default

Originally Posted by Jason T
I almost wrote that the first time but I thought I'd be nice.
I knew it had to be at least going through your mind . It was too easy of a mark .

-Mike
Mike Parsons is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 04:29 AM
  #50  
Jason T
Electron Liberator
 
Jason T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,103
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons
I knew it had to be at least going through your mind . It was too easy of a mark .

-Mike
LOL!
Jason T is offline  

Quick Reply: how long have you been flying RC.


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10278 seconds with 11 queries