Hobbyzone super cub lp- Is it better than the old super cub? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hobbyzone super cub lp- Is it better than the old super cub?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM
CrusaderFCflyer

Default Hobbyzone super cub lp- Is it better than the old super cub?

I looked up the super cub lp on the internet and if you have one can you please tell me about it. Btw is it worth the extra $10 for the new battery?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

The LP version isn't out yet but i've read about it and it's almost exactly the same plane as the current version (which is lipo compatable). the only difference is that the LP version comes with the float attachment point and a lipo battery. For the extra $10 bucks i'd say the lipo is worth it. It's also blue instead of red.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
1320fastback

Is it better than the old SC? Of course its lipo'ed and brush-less

Now if I were to start all over again knowing what I know now I would build the SC from parts as the rest of the electronics are garbage and not transferable to another model.

Or does the new BLSC use standard servo's now and at least 72Mhz.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 PM
HEMICUDA

1320fastback,

I'm sorry to inform you but the new supercub is NOT brushless. Geared 480 long can motor (brushed) same as before but as constantcash points out,:lipo battery and charger, blue in color instead of red and float attachment points (floats not included) all for $179 which to me is worth $10 more than the current $169 for the ni-mh supercub. But considering that the same ni-mh supercub was only $159 last year(???) is it worth $20 more? I'd been happier if they got rid of the crappy 27mhz radio and chinzey electronics, but I'm in the market for a Parkflyer that I can fly around locally at the ballparks, without traveling the 55 minutes it takes me to get to the nearest club field where I fly my 40 size trainers (glow and electric!) And this new lipo supercub will fit the bill better than my constant rebuilding/upgrading of my forsaken Flyzone J-3 Cub. I'll be getting one!

Hemicuda
Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Could be also that the prices might come down for the older NiMH version which might offset the lipo advantage, especially for the 1300 lipo. If the 1800 or 2150 will fit without too much modification that would swing me back to the LP being worth it.
Also noted that the props are different to accomadtae the voltage difference; 9x6 for the LP vs 10x8 for the NiMH. Something to watch if you need to get a new prop
Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM
1320fastback

Oh, no brush-less.

For $180.00 then I still think I would build one, the airframe is only about $80.00 which leaves another $80.00 for a power system.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront can supply the electronics for under that.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Oh, no brush-less.

For $180.00 then I still think I would build one, the airframe is only about $80.00 which leaves another $80.00 for a power system.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront can supply the electronics for under that.

and http://rcslot.com can provide the parts.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Hounder

Default HobbyZone Super Cub LP

Hey I think it flies pretty good for what it is, a trainer. Brushless would be nice but it has plenty of zip with the can motor. Here's a video my daughter shot this morning.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34HtgPSrRz4[/media]
Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM
quadracer111

Originally Posted by HEMICUDA View Post
1320fastback,

I'm sorry to inform you but the new supercub is NOT brushless. Geared 480 long can motor (brushed) same as before but as constantcash points out,:lipo battery and charger, blue in color instead of red and float attachment points (floats not included) all for $179 which to me is worth $10 more than the current $169 for the ni-mh supercub. But considering that the same ni-mh supercub was only $159 last year(???) is it worth $20 more? I'd been happier if they got rid of the crappy 27mhz radio and chinzey electronics, but I'm in the market for a Parkflyer that I can fly around locally at the ballparks, without traveling the 55 minutes it takes me to get to the nearest club field where I fly my 40 size trainers (glow and electric!) And this new lipo supercub will fit the bill better than my constant rebuilding/upgrading of my forsaken Flyzone J-3 Cub. I'll be getting one!

Hemicuda
*cough*parkzone t-28 trojan*cough*
Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 AM
HEMICUDA

Yes,the PZ T-28 is on my short list. I've heard lots of good things about it on the threads.

Hemicuda
Old 06-26-2009, 05:08 PM
quadracer111

It is awesome. I have 10 packs through mine and not a crash yet. It is my first plane too.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 AM
JONS

What does brushless or brush motor mean whats the difference. and what does each motor provide.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Originally Posted by JONS View Post
What does brushless or brush motor mean whats the difference. and what does each motor provide.
In a brushed motor, the windings spin, and the magnets stay in one place. There's a set of carbon "brushes" that contact the commutator on the spinning armature delivering electricity to the windings. Brushed motors are relatively simple in design, but brushes cause additional electrical resistance and do wear out over time. Brushed motors are older technology, less efficient and typically heavier than brushless motors.

In a brushless motor, the windings are held still and the magnets spin. This allows for the development of two major categories ... the inrunner and the outrunner. Outrunners have the windings held stationary in the middle of the motor, and the magnets arranged around the inside of the "can" or the "bell" housing. The outrunner motor produces more torque, but usually spins at lower RPMs ... these motors are usually used in a direct-drive configuration where the prop is bolted directly to the motor hub. These are probably the most popular motors due to the light-weight and simplicity of the system.

Inrunner motors have the magnets on the core of the motor, and the windings are in the "can". This allows the core of the motor to spin to much higher RPMs than outrunners, but they produce much less torque. Inrunner motors are usually used in conjunction with a gearbox to increase the torque. In general, inrunners are more efficient than outrunners, but with the penalty of the added weight and mechanical complexity of a gearbox.

Overall, brushless motors are more efficient, lighter and longer-lasting than their brushed counterparts and are quite simple mechanically. However, they also generally cost more than a brushed motor of similar output capacity (though that difference is really evaporating as the brushless motors become the de-facto power system these days). Also, brushless ESCs tend to cost a bit more because they need to have more advanced electronics due to the nature of how the power is pulsed through a brushless motor.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM
JONS

OK i just heard everyone saying Brush motors and Brushless motors and didn't know what it meant
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
CivilAirPatrol

i think so
Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

....nice video Hounder. The music was perfect too.
CE
Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Hounder

Default super cub

Thx. I have a new camera I want to try out so vids should get better. Nice flying plane.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 PM
unspokenzero

i just bought the sc lp as my first plane. my father has the older version. it is exactly the same shell just a different battery and smaller prop. we took them up this weekend and there is a huge torque and speed difference between the two. i have put 10 batteries through myne and put it through 5 crashes and she still fly's like a champ.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

What camera did you use for this video and what camera are you planning on trying next?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Hounder

Default hz supercub

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
What camera did you use for this video and what camera are you planning on trying next?
I used a Kodak EazyShare 700 to shoot this vid. Looks like a digital camera that also does up to about 5 minutes of video on a card. It's ok for bright sunny days and things in close but crap for everything else. It has a fixed focus and you can't zoom once you start videoing. The new camera I got is a Canon Elura 100 camcorder that also does pics. I chose this since I edit on a Mac and it's "Mac friendly". Canon doesn't make it anymore but you can Google and find new ones or refurbs for around $200. I'll have more videos that I'll upload in the next couple of days.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:44 AM
autorail1

Can this Super cub accomadate about a 3 cell 2100 LIPO???
Old 08-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Hounder

Default HZ SuperCub

Might be tough. You would have to do some carving. The battery that comes with it flies fine. You would get longer flying times but it flies long enough now.