GWS A-10 Thunderbolt! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

GWS A-10 Thunderbolt!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Cool GWS A-10 Thunderbolt!

Well, There I was... having a few beers, surfing feeBay and minding my own business. lol, I'll keep this short. I bought this combo kit because I really like the Warthog as an airframe, and if all the components are new (as stated by the seller), it seemed like a good deal.

So, does anybody have any thoughts on this setup?
GWS A-10

2- E-FLIGHT 400 4200KV BRUSHLESS MOTORS
2-E-FLIGHT 40AMP BRUSHLESS SPEED CONTROLLERS
E-FLIGHT S-75 SERVOS
It seems like the owner got about 80% through this project and gave up.

So, my question to you EDF gurus is: Are these E-Flight motors a decent setup for this plane? If not, should I throw them in another airframe?

'little help?

PS: I'm totally stoked about getting an A-10!!! I'm researching warthog paint schemes right now!

Last edited by max2112; 02-15-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: changed title on 15 FEB.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well John I don't think I have ever seen a blue A-10 before! Looks good though.

I have the 400's in mine. the 40 amp esc's are more than ample. I only draw about 16 amps each on a 3s.

I will say the 400's are a bit heavy. They will work but there are other motors that are more efficient and weigh less. the DF400 outrunners would be a better, lighter choice. That is what I have in my Airliner and in that A-10 they would make it scream!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default put your trays in the upright position!

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Well John I don't think I have ever seen a blue A-10 before! Looks good though.

I have the 400's in mine. the 40 amp esc's are more than ample. I only draw about 16 amps each on a 3s.

I will say the 400's are a bit heavy. They will work but there are other motors that are more efficient and weigh less. the DF400 outrunners would be a better, lighter choice. That is what I have in my Airliner and in that A-10 they would make it scream!
Thanks Bill. I really do value your input.
My thoughts were to get everything here and throw it on the scales with a 20C 2100mAh battery that I plan to use. There are several in-depth discussion threads around. If the AUW is beyond what most builders call acceptable I was going to put the A10 airframe on display and research what would be a better twin EDF for those motors.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

The one thing to remember is that an A-10 (the real one) is not a fast airplane to begin with. They are slow flying pigs that are heavily armored and do a heck of a job of blowing stuff up. They are awesome planes, First plane to be designed around a gun, not the other way around.

If you fly it like it's supposed to you will be real satisfied with it. A lot of people think they are fighters and should break the sound barrier because of that.

Steve Cooper has one he flies on the stock brushed motors. I did too with my first one and she flew well until I dumb thumbed it and destroyed it.

A 3s on those motors will fly it ok but it won't have a lot of extra power to spare because of the weight.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Talking Nothing says Love & Peace like a 30mm autocannon!

Thanks again, FB.

So the model flies good when you copy the scale maneuvers?

To me, that means a lot of low/medium speed yanking and banking.
Tight turns under medium (65-75%) throttle.

Sound about right?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yeah that sounds about right John. I love seeing that bird do a big climb out and a good wing over turn and come back for the next strafing run...

I have told this story here before but it's worth repeating. It is a day I'll never forget.

The word tough isn't strong enough for the A-10! Damn near Invincible is the phrase I like

I was assigned to a little airbase in the north western region of Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War. A week or so after the fighting started we got alerted to an A-10 coming in with flight control problems. We thought it odd since we were a Fighter base with F-15 Eagles, (another cool plane) and a regiment of British Tornado's, (another very very cool plane) ...

anyway, when this dude pops into view we see him trailing smoke and having a generally difficult time of keeping her flying straight. (kind of like my R/C flying!) He touches down in the center of the runway but doesn't stay there long since all of the tires were flat, that was the least of his worries though as he had been shot up by AAA fire over Iraq, he popped over a hill into a barrage of guns that weren't supposed to be there and they opened up on him. He had one engine out, one gear wouldn't come all the way down both ailerons were all but gone as was one rudder and elevator. Numerous other rounds punctured every fluid line the plane had and just about brought him down.

So we get him squared away and out of the plane and start chatting with him next to his smoking aircraft and he is like Maverick out of top gun hooping and hollering like Hot Da#& you should have seen their eyes when I circled around and let 'em have it! as shot up as he was he went back and exacted his revenge with a shot up airplane... The wildest sight was the bullet entry hole in the lower left side of the canopy and the exit hole in the upper right!. the round couldn't have missed him by more the 2 feet! All total there were over 300 holes in the bird.

anyway... the crew for the bird flew in and began the repair process. the fixed the internals, put tape over the holes on the externals and the same guy flew that bird out of there and back to his base.

That thing is a flying Tank!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default How awesome is that?!?

What a great story, Bill!
I think that is a true example of the American fighting man. Getting shot to he]] and then hooking a U-turn to take the fight to the enemy!

I did several six month rotations in Saudi back in the 90s. Was your airbase near Dhahran or Riyadh?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:09 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
What a great story, Bill!
I think that is a true example of the American fighting man. Getting shot to he]] and then hooking a U-turn to take the fight to the enemy!

I did several six month rotations in Saudi back in the 90s. Was your airbase near Dhahran or Riyadh?
Thanks John, We were at Tabuk if you ever heard of it. North west corner of the country, about 30 miles from the Red Sea and 30 miles south of Jordan. I spent time in Riyadh, and Dahran both as well as a few days in the oil fields in Kuwait helping to put out a few pesky oil well fires.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Hounder

Default A-10 with 400's

Max: That's the set up that I ended up with in mine. I am flying it with 2100's and it's a little on the heavy side but flies nice. Wish it was warm here in Wisconsin.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Hounder View Post
Max: That's the set up that I ended up with in mine. I am flying it with 2100's and it's a little on the heavy side but flies nice. Wish it was warm here in Wisconsin.
Thanks Hounder. It's good to see that this is a proven power train.

Do you hand launch or ROG?

John
Old 01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

The good ol' A10. I was looking around at that other place just yesterday,
(ok, so I peer around there once in a while )
and it just made my day to see that they guy I sold my A10 to, was successfully flying it. Always a good feeling when you sell a plane to a person, and they make good with it. Sammy70 had a number of flight pics of my good old A10 flying, and he says that he loves it. He also added a few details to the well used bird, adding a bit of spice to it.

Max I'd think about saving those motors for a larger, heavier twin project. The A10 will fly well on short can 4100kv motors with the EDF55 fans. Still, it should be quite powerful with those motors you have. I always ROG'd mine, but the guy I sold mine to is hand launching it. He claims that with the elevator set level across the top, it is one of the easiest hand launchers he's ever had.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Hounder

Thanks Hounder. It's good to see that this is a proven power train.

Do you hand launch or ROG?

John
I just hand launched it. The wheels are tiny and I fly from a grass field so I just left them off. It will fly out of my hand at half throttle.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
The good ol' A10. I was looking around at that other place just yesterday,
(ok, so I peer around there once in a while )
and it just made my day to see that they guy I sold my A10 to, was successfully flying it. Always a good feeling when you sell a plane to a person, and they make good with it. Sammy70 had a number of flight pics of my good old A10 flying, and he says that he loves it. He also added a few details to the well used bird, adding a bit of spice to it.

Max I'd think about saving those motors for a larger, heavier twin project. The A10 will fly well on short can 4100kv motors with the EDF55 fans. Still, it should be quite powerful with those motors you have. I always ROG'd mine, but the guy I sold mine to is hand launching it. He claims that with the elevator set level across the top, it is one of the easiest hand launchers he's ever had.
Thanksfor your thoughts BillG. I have shopped a little bit for twin 55/64 mm slope gliders that these might go into.

I just hand launched it. The wheels are tiny and I fly from a grass field so I just left them off. It will fly out of my hand at half throttle.
Thanks Hounder. I appreciate the quick reply.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 AM
RickAvery

Well Max, (John), I think you'll love your A-10. I couldn't stand being without one after my 1st one went in HARD when an ESC failed. (Wouldn't you know it, it was the one which was powering up the Rx). So I picked up a slope glider kit, (that's what they used to call the kits which came without motors or landing gear) and built up new one which is now several years old and has MANY flights under her belt. As for your motors, & as others havs said, they will probably work fine but are a bit of overkill, (large) and as such a bit heavy. I wouldn't worry about it. The airframe will fly well with a little extra weight. I hand launch and belly land mine. A very docile flyer and just looks great in the air. A couple of things are suggested with the brushless set up, reinforce the wing. The added speed and increased g-forces will eventually fold it. Try and get some cooling to the ESCs, EDFs can be hard on the equipment, (amp hogs). And most of all, HAVE FUN!!
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A-102.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	92280   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-101.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	92281   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-103.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	92282  
Old 02-01-2009, 08:42 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Thanks much for your advice Rick.

I think your WartHog gas set the bar for scale looks. SWEET!

I am starting to worry a little bit. I still haven't received the big box on the doorstep yet.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default Finally!

Well Gang,
I finally got the big brown box left on the doorstep. The plane itself came out of the box beat up. The fuse is smashed pretty good just aft of the cockpit and the right winglet has a pretty good chunk broken off. But I paid for $200 insured shipping, so I get to wade through the red tape down at the USPS next week.

But on the plus side, all motors, ESCs and servos work fine and that's really made the plane worth buying.

So now I am reading all I can about how other folks have routed their electrics and where extra cooling vents have been added, etc.

Definitely More to follow soon!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Well Gang,
I finally got the big brown box left on the doorstep. The plane itself came out of the box beat up. The fuse is smashed pretty good just aft of the cockpit and the right winglet has a pretty good chunk broken off. But I paid for $200 insured shipping, so I get to wade through the red tape down at the USPS next week.

But on the plus side, all motors, ESCs and servos work fine and that's really made the plane worth buying.

So now I am reading all I can about how other folks have routed their electrics and where extra cooling vents have been added, etc.

Definitely More to follow soon!
You'll have her up in no time,, love mine, Flys GREAT!! bub, steve
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/2500855[/media]

Name:	petty an red 8830.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	93700   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 8783.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	93701  
Old 02-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Hounder

Default A-10

Max, you will love this plane. What I did for vents was use the plastic one that came with the kit that was supposed to be used if I flew it with the nicad battery and just glued it on the bottom. I also cut the canopy like many others and since there are some small gaps, that helped with air too. Lastly, I put two small scoops just aft of the canopy. I'm running a 2100 mah battery, two 40 esc's and a pair of e-flight brushless 400's and it stays cool. Here's a link to what I did. Keep in mind that there are a lot of options to make a great flying A-10. Too bad GWS didn't do this themselves. Enjoy.
http://www.flyingelectrons.com/page7/page10/page10.html
Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
You'll have her up in no time,, love mine, Flys GREAT!! bub, steve
Coop! You got some nerves 'o steel flyin' that close to all them trees!
That was a Bub-tastic video!!

Hounder,
Thanks for your insight. How did you secure your battery? Mine has a tray carved out right behind the front landing gear leg. The 2200 mAh battery I plan on usung is a tight fit as is.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Insuring was a good idea. One of the things that talks me out of buying non-manufacturer packed planes is shipping damage. Even manufacturers have been known to pack poorly. I sold my A10, and it wasn't worth selling, after all the effort I went to in packaging it. They still broke the rudder tips off, but the guy easily fixed them and said that they were clean breaks. I imagine they did not pack it like this:

Name:	A10_GWS_details_6.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	93787  
Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Hounder

Default A-10

Coop! You got some nerves 'o steel flyin' that close to all them trees!
That was a Bub-tastic video!!

Hounder,
Thanks for your insight. How did you secure your battery? Mine has a tray carved out right behind the front landing gear leg. The 2200 mAh battery I plan on usung is a tight fit as is.
I just used velcro like I do on most of my planes.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Insuring was a good idea. One of the things that talks me out of buying non-manufacturer packed planes is shipping damage. Even manufacturers have been known to pack poorly. I sold my A10, and it wasn't worth selling, after all the effort I went to in packaging it. They still broke the rudder tips off, but the guy easily fixed them and said that they were clean breaks. I imagine they did not pack it like this:
Holy mackeral, Bill! That is a top notch packing job right there. Makes me want to buy something from you. Whatchya got?!?

You are right, though. The guy just put down some peanuts, fuse, newspaper, peanuts, wing, newspaper, and taped it up.

I am at a standstill at the moment. I need a 12" servo extension and the LHS was closed yesterday.

On a new note...
This warbird is seriously over powered. After I soldered the ESC battery wires together I assembled it and ran it up. At 1/2 throttle it was pulling very strong and at 65% it was trying to claw itself out of my hands.

I can easily see cruising 50% throttle w/ this puppy!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Hounder

Default A-10

That's pretty much how mine is too. The first couple of flights I took it kind of easy then decided to punch it. It pretty much has unlimited vertical. I have laid in all kinds of carbon fiber to strengthen it. Make sure yours is too.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

I just used velcro like I do on most of my planes.
Sounds like a plan to me. I'm not going to try and win any scale competitions with this guy anyway.

That's pretty much how mine is too. The first couple of flights I took it kind of easy then decided to punch it. It pretty much has unlimited vertical. I have laid in all kinds of carbon fiber to strengthen it. Make sure yours is too.
On this I have to trust the previous builder. I can see 3 carbon fiber rods. One bisects the nacelles and fuselage, one goes horizontal with the main wing about a 1/2" from the LE, and one goes front to back in the fuse itself.

Thanks again for the good advise!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm not going to try and win any scale competitions with this guy anyway.

On this I have to trust the previous builder. I can see 3 carbon fiber rods. One bisects the nacelles and fuselage, one goes horizontal with the main wing about a 1/2" from the LE, and one goes front to back in the fuse itself.

Thanks again for the good advise!
Don't forget with EDF's you gotta Think-Throttle 2/3'ds of a sec, Before you need it! sorta of a turbo-lag kinda deal,, don't let her be anywhere near tail heavy on you maid'in,,no matter how much Poundage you gotta stuff up there, Have a Ball!!!( a fur-ball with me!)your bub, steve

Name:	petty an red 8779.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	93833  

Quick Reply: GWS A-10 Thunderbolt!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17043 seconds with 20 queries