What's a good first 3d plane for an advanced flyer? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

What's a good first 3d plane for an advanced flyer?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
flashburn

Go with the Skeeter for electric, glow get a Mojo. Your boyfriend has spent the last few years flying built up heavy scale planes so he will NOT like the way flat plate wing foam fly's.
Foam is great for low time or tight budgets but flat plate wings over 30" are really crappy for hard flying and 3D. A big problem he will have is over speeding the plane, a Skeeter has a very wide speed range and will stay stable @ higher airspeed where the flex in a foam plane will make it really unstable. The 3DH planes are just OK (I have a Sukhoi) but are not really good for first time 3D flyers. Learning will involve hitting the ground and the 3DH planes will break every time thus ending your day. A Skeeter is much lighter so has way less energy on impact thus will survive some really rough arrivals and be ready for more. Go here and look.http://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com...forum.php?f=68
These guys really know 3D everyone else is playing catch up.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Manta1
No Shoes is MY FRen

foamies are fun no doubt,but balsa def flys different.way more scale..im not slamming foam,i got a few Dude you get the shp and hate it,ill buy it from you if you havent killed it...im betting youll never sell it..
Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
darylm44

Look at http://kalteisen.com/ . Q has several electric foam and stick 3d planes. They are easy to build and fun to fly. I have a Skeeter 30 and an indoor 30" SU26. The Skeeter 30 is a great outdoor plane and handles <10 mph wind very well.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Go with the Skeeter for electric, glow get a Mojo. Your boyfriend has spent the last few years flying built up heavy scale planes so he will NOT like the way flat plate wing foam fly's.
Foam is great for low time or tight budgets but flat plate wings over 30" are really crappy for hard flying and 3D. A big problem he will have is over speeding the plane, a Skeeter has a very wide speed range and will stay stable @ higher airspeed where the flex in a foam plane will make it really unstable. The 3DH planes are just OK (I have a Sukhoi) but are not really good for first time 3D flyers. Learning will involve hitting the ground and the 3DH planes will break every time thus ending your day. A Skeeter is much lighter so has way less energy on impact thus will survive some really rough arrivals and be ready for more. Go here and look.http://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com...forum.php?f=68
These guys really know 3D everyone else is playing catch up.
have you flown a 48" dw foamies model? i'm sure it'll change your opinion. yes you are right, they dont fly fast, but 3d is flying on the prop with a stalled wing, so speed is not needed.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
flashburn

I'm up in Canada, Make a serious offer and pay shipping. I might get blocked if I post how I really feel about it. But here goes,
Shipped with heavy creases ironed into the covering in the base layer including two areas that featured fingerprints melted into the covering where an attempt was made to push out folds. Stab slot was so over size and missaglined I had to build up the top on one side and trim the bottom on the opposite to get it true. The control surface gap on both the wings was wavy as the trailing edge was sanded that way plus the root ribs were a different size on each wing so one fits the fuse slot the other leaves a gap. My cowl featured a large dent with brown filler on the inside and heavy sanding scratches under the paint around the dent.
Flying is just OK, it 3D's so so but SNAPS @ around 30 deg elevator throw! according to Scott in a posting here it's designed to do that. Great, get a bit slow on final with just a little to much elevator and snap/thump time to rebuild. Was it worth the asking price? not based on mine. I sent pictures and emails and just got polite non answers in return.
I "think" they will give me a discount on a future purchase but it will be up to me to remind them.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
flashburn

Yanel: I have a 36" Fancy Foam Yak, Flown back to back against my Skeeter electrics 30" and 36" or glow Mojo 60 and Primo 40 big foam flat wings come up way short in flying ability.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
HeadMaster

The 3DH planes are just OK (I have a Sukhoi) but are not really good for first time 3D flyers.
The Sukhoi is more of a sport / pattern plan. It will 3D but as you have noted it is not the easiest to do 3D with...for a more advanced 3D person IMO. The 47" SHP is a whole different animal. A superb 3D plane that can be set up to be a sport flyer. It has no bad habits and is very forgiving. Easy to learn basic 3D. You just have to stay a little higher when you are learning than you do with foam.

That said ....foamies are great to learn with for the reasons you gave.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM
tallflyer
Robert V

I think if your a new pilot then I would go with a foam plane flat wing small Electric Outrunner wingspan 30" type plane made out of EPP so you can crash and fly and pass the learning curve that would ground most other kits and make a new pilot more frustrated.

Part of the new pilots learning curve will be a crash or too so you will need a plane that can take a little thump and bump.

The airfoil type plane is better for a pilot with a little stick time.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM
HeadMaster

Hey tallflyer....are those pdf files on your sight full scale....just tape them together and your good to go?

Nice sight, Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 PM
tallflyer
Robert V

Default pdf files

Originally Posted by HeadMaster View Post
Hey tallflyer....are those pdf files on your sight full scale....just tape them together and your good to go?

Nice sight, Thanks
yeah just print tape cut build and fly just make sure on your printer option that you turn scaling off if you have it!

Let me know if you need more help
Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

IF your building one... I'll vote for EDFRules's CLIK, but You'll have to find him around here and "borrow" the plans.... its the "paydirt" for foamys....

I also Own A 48" JUKA, and would have to say it's a decent foamy....
http://www.vimeo.com/1738843

but.... I would recommend the 38" sizes... try the Yak54 or the Gen-X, my preference would be on the Gen-X, I like flat rudders for knifedge stuff... and rounded wings make for great pattern stuff....

as far as durabilty goes... Depron is very easy to repair, with foam safe CA and Kicker, and almost any crash will be back in the air in minutes...

I don't like EPP foam, every plane I've seen made out of it, was very flimsy... which is not good for any plane let alone 3d...

as far as balsa planes goes, I have the 3dhobbyshop 47" velox, and the Ebt trainer... both are very nice planes... however... I still love my efilte mini-funtanaX, I like the smaller size of the planes because they are easyier to transport...

http://www.vimeo.com/1943406

SK
Old 01-15-2009, 08:43 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

here's another good 3d foamy, I believe this is a charger rc CR1

http://www.chargerrc.com/shopdisplay...d=1&cat=Planes

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1742337[/media]

SK
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Just noticed, Charger RC , AXILON, is very close to the CLIK in design... I'm going to pick one up for myself....

SK
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Saw that one a while ago. Already had Cliks, so didn't pull the trigger. Let us know how she flies. Might want to scan parts and upscale
Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
Just noticed, Charger RC , AXILON, is very close to the CLIK in design... I'm going to pick one up for myself....

SK
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
flashburn

I cannot really see any of the 3DH planes being able to 3D @ the level a Skeeter or glow MoJo will. They weigh more based on wing area. You just cannot get around that. Higher weight needs higher airspeeds and degrades harrier performace. Thats why most guys are posting foam planes.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 PM
HeadMaster

I cannot really see any of the 3DH planes being able to 3D @ the level a Skeeter or glow MoJo will. They weigh more based on wing area. You just cannot get around that. Higher weight needs higher airspeeds and degrades harrier performace. Thats why most guys are posting foam planes.
I see your point.....but I like to do high inertia 3d tricks too like tumbles , KE spins and violent blenders. The weight is needed here to get good results. I flew my friends PA addiction and no doubt it is easier to hover....but it will not tumble or kE spin well for squat with that big wing and light weight. I guess you have to decide what your style is and go for that. The SHP will do everything I like to do.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 PM
chribrian

Originally Posted by HeadMaster View Post
I see your point.....but I like to do high inertia 3d tricks too like tumbles , KE spins and violent blenders. The weight is needed here to get good results. I flew my friends PA addiction and no doubt it is easier to hover....but it will not tumble or kE spin well for squat with that big wing and light weight. I guess you have to decide what your style is and go for that. The SHP will do everything I like to do.
Totally agree!!

I flew an addiction and the only thing you can do is hover/harrier There is more to 3d than that! I was going to get the addiction for my first 3d plane but after flying and seeing it in action I chose 3dhs Slick Now I also have a 3dhs edge and they both float around great but you can get wicked tumbles and spins.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 PM
chribrian

I can harrier both my 3dhs planes slower than walking speed. Foam is only good for a cheap backyard 3d plane, other than that I'll take a balsa plane over it any day!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

I'm up in Canada, Make a serious offer and pay shipping. I might get blocked if I post how I really feel about it. But here goes,
Shipped with heavy creases ironed into the covering in the base layer including two areas that featured fingerprints melted into the covering where an attempt was made to push out folds. Stab slot was so over size and missaglined I had to build up the top on one side and trim the bottom on the opposite to get it true. The control surface gap on both the wings was wavy as the trailing edge was sanded that way plus the root ribs were a different size on each wing so one fits the fuse slot the other leaves a gap. My cowl featured a large dent with brown filler on the inside and heavy sanding scratches under the paint around the dent.
Flying is just OK, it 3D's so so but SNAPS @ around 30 deg elevator throw! according to Scott in a posting here it's designed to do that. Great, get a bit slow on final with just a little to much elevator and snap/thump time to rebuild. Was it worth the asking price? not based on mine. I sent pictures and emails and just got polite non answers in return.
I "think" they will give me a discount on a future purchase but it will be up to me to remind them.
what plane are you talking about in this post?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Jaiyla

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
what plane are you talking about in this post?
I think he's talking about 3d hobby planes in general.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Manta1
No Shoes is MY FRen

Originally Posted by Jaiyla View Post
I think he's talking about 3d hobby planes in general.

hey where do you guys fly round there? reason i ask,i have family in grafton. and fondulac..may visit in the summer,and well ill def bring a plane or two
Old 01-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

...are we still "on topic"? :o
Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 AM
Cheese_Puddin

Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
hey where do you guys fly round there? reason i ask,i have family in grafton. and fondulac..may visit in the summer,and well ill def bring a plane or two
My parents own land in Dodge county so for my bigger planes that's where I go.

I am still thinking about getting the 3D hobby shop Extra 300 its a sweet looking bird....I understand that there are many different styles of flying thus different opinions in the best platform. Even though I am only beginning to fly 3D it seems that the balsa planes will allow me to fly more sport and gradually work my way into the 3D.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 AM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by Cheese_Puddin View Post

I am still thinking about getting the 3D hobby shop Extra 300 its a sweet looking bird....I understand that there are many different styles of flying thus different opinions in the best platform. Even though I am only beginning to fly 3D it seems that the balsa planes will allow me to fly more sport and gradually work my way into the 3D.
Thats what I did.....I really dont try to hover anyway....but I like to harrier around and am beginning to work on torque rolls. I enjoy flying a mix of sport and 3d....and I love to do blenders and tumbles. Thats why I went with the 300 SHP......and its dang good lookn plane!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
...are we still "on topic"? :o
i dont see how its not. everyone is discussing which would be the best 3d plane and its pro's and con's. the only off topic posts are yours and now my reply to yours.

Quick Reply: What's a good first 3d plane for an advanced flyer?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14448 seconds with 13 queries