FS One problems - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

FS One problems

Old 01-03-2009, 11:36 PM
illy

Default FS One problems

Hi people,

Just joined the forum and hope that someone maybe able to help.

I have Fs One (version 1.01...bought it as soon as it was released) and my Dad has been having problems with it.
  • In order to fly, you have to press <shift> (player 2 button) however, we are using it in single player mode only. The plane will sit on the ground with the engine coughing/spluttering until you press the <shift> key.
  • Some aircraft don't fly correctly. The jet will simply 'fall apart' on the ground (rectracts collapse).
  • Some aircraft, once in the the air, immediatly return back to start i.e. it resets itself after a couple of seconds.
Can anyone help? I have increased RAM, the computer spec is more than adequate and I have also uninstalled/re-installed the software as well, but no joy.

Chris
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Chappy
Chappy

I'm not a computer GEEK so I really can't be of any help other than to say I too have the FS One program and I love it. I don't know how you can get any more realistic. I'm using my own transmitter (JR) with the simulator and you can make all the adjustments to the plane as if it were one of your own. I did have to call the HELP number listed with the installation software because mine wouldn't load properly. I had to update my vidio program and since then all has been well. I would strongly suggest you call FS One and see what they can do for you.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

Be sure you have the latest drivers installed for the Video Card in your computer. Flight Sims are very dependent on the graphics capability of your machine.
If that doesn't help, try to reduce the demand by turning off smoke, mist, fog, trees and such.
You could also have an Audio problem causing these issues. Again, get the latest drivers, and maybe turn off some of the ambient sounds, doppler effect, that kind of stuff.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by illy View Post
Hi people,

Just joined the forum and hope that someone maybe able to help.

I have Fs One (version 1.01...bought it as soon as it was released) and my Dad has been having problems with it.
  • In order to fly, you have to press <shift> (player 2 button) however, we are using it in single player mode only. The plane will sit on the ground with the engine coughing/spluttering until you press the <shift> key.
  • Some aircraft don't fly correctly. The jet will simply 'fall apart' on the ground (rectracts collapse).
  • Some aircraft, once in the the air, immediatly return back to start i.e. it resets itself after a couple of seconds.
Can anyone help? I have increased RAM, the computer spec is more than adequate and I have also uninstalled/re-installed the software as well, but no joy.

Chris
Hi ILLY and Welcome to Wattflyers, I had those same problems too with my first Simulator, It took me forever to get it to work hang in there, there are some very very sharp people here that can help you out, and i see that some have already Take care and have fun.

PS. if your gender is female, please join us here on this thread, and if not, Please join us here anyway take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...317#post525317
Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

I have FS-One and am only saddened by the low number of aircraft available for it. I had to edit the transmitters for each model and assign hot keys for special functions like landing gear. Without the laning gear key many planes simply lay on the ground and "crash" when you try to take off.
I also have Aerofly Pro Deluxe and it is OK. The best one I have is RealFlight G4 but you need an expensive computer and video card to get your money's worth (over $200 with expnsion packs) and G4.5 on sale now is full of bugs and doesn't run on many systems even though they claim it will on the box *it is actually a rushed to market beta program). I am so annoyed with Great Planes that I am currently boycotting all Hobbico products.

Actually, (IMHO) FMS is the best and cheapest sim you can get. It is free, runs on almost any computer,is readily customizable has innumerable support sites and a seemingly infinite number of aircraft for it. The only thing it really lacks is the graphic details, but how much detail do you need for a two foot plane over 20 feet away going 10 to 60 MPH.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

I think I need to add that I only use sims to keep fingers nimble and keep my orientation part of my brain working during the winter. Thus, FMS with a 4ch TX is all I really need.

I like the "pretties" and extras from the other programs but in hindsight I should have put the money into physical planes instead of simulated ones.
That is just my opinion though.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Chappy
Chappy

Hey illy, don't know if your still having issues but I just had a couple of my own resolved today that I'll pass along. My FS One has worked very well up until I found out what the Copy and Edit functions did for the aircraft. I just had to copy and edit a model like my own. Afterwards I began to experience "issues". When I would crash, often times the screen would go to black and the computer would restart?? Also I began to experience no response when I would attempt to calibrate my Radio. (I use my own JR) or at times one of the slide controls wouldn't center themselves. During a flight it would reset for no apparent reason and I find my plane back on the ground ready for takeoff. Anyway, I called Horizon and spoke with the FS One GEEKS and he couldn't explain why the program would shut down but he had me go into the diagonistics of my computer and reduce the "sound" setting down to its lowest level to see if that would help; if that had no effect he suggested deleting the model I created and recreate it; or if that didn't stop the 'black outs' to update my vidio driver; if that didn't cure it to uninstall and then reinstall the program. He also inquired if I had installed the patches that are available on their webb site, but I had. These were all fixes suggested to cure the black out problem. In the mean time I also discovered that if I moved the interface cable plug at the back of my radio things would change; reset; the motor would sputter or become irratic, or nothing would respond to any of the control functions. I figured it was the cable or plug giving me some of the problems. I wanted a new cable but you could only get it as a "set" for a little over $25.00 so I opted to operate on the plug giving me the problem. I went to radio shack and bought a new plug, soldered it and presto! I haven't had any of these problems since. (knock on wood) The audio is just noticably different. When you throttle up or passes close by at high throttle you can detect a little "different" kind of "digital noise" but not enough to complain about. Thought one of these fixes might help you out.

Chappy
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 AM
illy

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies and info.

1) I'm male (sorry! :-) )
2) I'll try what you all suggest
3) the FMS noted isn't any good I'm afraid. My Dad is a pylon racer so anything under 200mph is useless :-/ I have modified models before on the sim to cope with such speeds, but it takes a while to sort out aerodynamics, engines, props and the G-force tolerance.

Illy
Old 01-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Albatross

Hi Illy and Chappy,

I've been using FS One for about a year now and I can offer both of you some comments for your questions:

- regarding version 1.1 (about 10 updates after 1.01 but they are all included in 1.1), you are way out of date. You should go to the FS One website and download the latest version which is I think 1.09, and a heli upfdate fix as well. Here's the link http://www.fsone.com/Downloads/Default.aspx

- you will also be able to download a couple of free aircraft that are inthe1st expansion pack (P51 PTS andF-22)

- after you've done that, you shouldnotonly makesure you have the latest video drivers but, more importantly,makesure you have the latest audio driver.

- with the latest audio driver installed, go into the control panel and adjust the audio settings for audio acceleration, starting with the lowest setting and then working your way up to higher settings until the program starts to encounter problems.

- now the program should work and you should be able to control it all from your transmitter. If you are using your own Tx, you'll have to calibrate the transmitter and you'll have to set it up for the plane or heli that you are using. Checkut their FAQ's.

- If you look in the upper right hand of the program screens, you'll see a question mark in a green circle ... click on that anytime andit will pull up the program manual/help file.

- regarding the cable interface malfunction of Crappy, I had the same thing happen quite a while ago and Horizon sent me a new one in exchange for the one that I sent back to them ... no charge.

- Horizon support is ok but I think there isonly 1 guy who is up to speed on FS One.

- there is a good thread for FS One issues at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4224555/tm.htm. It includes a lot of info where people have developed fixes for certain things.

- The FAQ's at the Inertiasoft support page are also pretty helpful in terms of showing how to get your Tx working with the program, customizations etc etc.

- it is a good prgram and pretty adjustable, but the documentation is a little light.

Hope this helps, enjoy,
Dave
Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Albatross

Clarification, I messed up, the first point should have said:

- regarding version 1.01,the current one is 1.1 (about 10 updates after 1.01 but they are all included in 1.1), you are way out of date. You should go to the FS One website and download the latest version which is I think 1.1, and a heli update fix as well. Here's the link http://www.fsone.com/Downloads/Default.aspx

I hope that's better,
cheers,
Dave
Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Be sure to install the helicopter update before the 1.1 update.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Chappy
Chappy

I think my problems reside in my drivers.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
I think my problems reside in my drivers.
It should show up as a joystick in windows.
start\settings\control_panel\game_controllers
Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Chappy
Chappy

Checked that and went through the calibration but no change. Well, sort of. I've updated my sound driver too but I'm a bit sceptical about my vidio driver up date. It was updated in October and from the ATI site it appears the most recent update was prior to that. I did go back into my dxdiag and moved my sound excelleration up to "basic" and now when I crash the copied plane (edge 540)the vidio goes into to a skipp frame jitters until it resets. When I crash the other copied plane (alpha 40) the screen will flash and go to white? I have to hit escape and I'm back to the second menu screen and I can fly again. I guess my fix for the time being is not to crash! For the sake of curiosity I went flying with some of the other aircraft and crashed them to see if they react the same way but they do not?? All is normal. So I'll update my vidio driver again (dxdiag box shows a 6/06 version date???) and see what that might do.
Thanks for you suggestions all.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Albatross

Hi Chappy,

- firstly, sorry for my typo above on the name, I'm not the swiftest typist.

- regarding the audio & video drivers, can you tell us what your computer hardware is, maybe we can spot something there? Also, are you running XP?

- what is your video card and does it share memory with the CPU or does it use onboard graphics memory. Apparently the shared ones don't play nice with most sims or games.

- I'd suggest starting with the absolute lowest setting for audio acceleration until the program is working for you completely properly and then step it up to the highest level that works.

- I'd also suggest going into the options menu and turning down, or off, as many things as possible (eg. graphic quality, music,etc etc) to see if that reduces the load on your computer and if the program then works better.

Let us know what happens.
cheers,
Dave
Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Albatross

By the way, what kind of frame rates are you getting too? I think you know how but just in case, hit the 'F' key while flying to toggle the rates on/off.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Chappy
Chappy

Haha, Yea, I chuckled on that one too. I'm sure it was unintentional - - but it does fit!! Haha !
OK my system: Intel Pentium D; 1016 G ram; runing XP pro home; with a Radeon 9250 vidio card; with a Realtek HD audio sys. I do not know anything about how they relate (work) to my puter. I have gone into "Options" and eliminated some things like smoke, fog, and reduced graphics quality to see if that made any change but it did not. But, no I really wasn't aware how to change the "rates". I have noticed they are "High 3D rates", you say use the "F" key to change them? I thought that was changed with my Tx settings. OK, I'll try it and see how it acts then. Thanks for you persistance in resolving my issues.
Chappy
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Albatross

Hi Chappy,

Sorry, I'm not talking about the control rates in the Tx, only the display. Basically,the frame rate will tell you if the computer is working really hard to keep up or if itis coasting along easily.

The F key just toggles a small box onand off in the flying display to show the 'frame rate' of the display, i.e. number of frames per second.

It's been a while since Ilooked at any hardware issues so I'll go see what I can find and get back to you.

cheers,
Dave
Old 01-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Albatross

Hi again Chappy,

ok,it seems your setup suitsthe min requirements but your CPU bneedsto be at least 1.8GHz. Is it?

TheRadeon 9200 series is themin required but it isnot the'recommended'.

When FSOne came out a lot of people had to tweak their video card settings. I think I was one ofthem. Maybe you should try that as well. Specifically, go into the card setup and start by turning off 'Anti Aliasing' and 'Anisotrop[ic filtering'.

Then report back what happens, ok? Also let us know what your frame rates are when flying.

Thanks,
DAve
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Chappy
Chappy

OK Dave, checked the CPU rating and it's a 2.66 GHz. I made the two adjustments that you mentioned but I still get a white screen and have to reset or rather "escape" out to reset for another flight. I'm a bit confused about the frame rates however. This Alpha 40 Copy when flying shows "High Rates". The only way I can tell to change the rates is to make a Copy of my Tx (JR) and edit it. Is there an easier/other way to change the rates?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Albatross

Hi Chappy,

high rates is referring to the rate selection in your transmitter which controls the gain on your control surfaces ... i.e. how much displacement you get on the control surface for a small movement of the stick. In other words, a high rate means you move the stick a little and you get a 'big' movement in the control surface (elevator/aileron/flap or whatever).

The frame rate refers to the image shown on your computer display. Pictures show up on your screen as a series of still shots that are presented fast enough to trick the human eye into thinking that they images are actually moving. For example, in the old days movies were made with 24 frames/second because that is fast enough thatthe human eye can't see the individual pictures that are being run by it.

So,if you hit the F key while you are flyng, a tinybox will pop up in the upper right hand corner of FS One's display and it will show the 'frame per second' that are being put to the display. The number will change constantly but you should not roughly what it is ... eg 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 24 or whatever.

With 2.66G Hz,1 GB RAM and the ATI 9250 you should be in good shape so let's just check that.

The white screen is wierd. I wonder if you have saved the changes properly. I did some work with the custompanos and when myfile format didn't match what the program expected, it just displayed a white background. When you edited the plane did you make the changes that are within valid limits etc for the parameters?

I'm also going to aska good fellow I've 'met' who is a real guru and maybe he can chime in. He's been pretty successful at adjusting heli models and physics parameters.

cheers
Dave
Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 AM
Chappy
Chappy

I do appreciate your persistence Dave! The changes I made to my copied Alpha 40 were basic. I don't know what "peramiters" your specifically referring to but my motor prop and plane wt. were all in reason. (24 oz; 9" prop; 400 motor; 46.50 wing) I was kinda puzzeled with prop selection since a 9" isn't listed. I did reduce it to 9" (.752") even though a 11x6 (.917) was given. I tried choosing the 11x3.8 SF prop too reducing it to .752 hoping I would have SF type response, but I really couldn't tell a difference. I have noticed that sometimes the program doesn't accept/make the changes I've chosen? I've got some to learn I'm afraid.
Thanks again
Chappy
Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 AM
sctholson

Hi Chappy,
I've read over the various comments for your issues and I think Dave's covered everything everything needed to get your copy of FSOne running as best as possible. I don't remember reading it, but did you actually do all the updates?
Your last post is probably the most telling. One of those "adjustments" to your edited Alpha 40 is the problem. I don't know which one, but if I have a chance I'm going to try your settings and see what happens to my plane.
Scott H
Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 AM
sctholson

Chappy,
I checked out your modification numbers on my machine and I don't know how you got where you did.
If you scale the wing span to 46.5 " the weight should be 37.95 oz. That's a calculation done in FSOne. If you overrode that, this is one area that may cause your white screen.
Changing the motor... see the screen shots. if you change the motor you'll need to change the sounds and also change the scaling wizard propulsion to a max rpm.. I changed the rpm to 12,000 but I think this is too high.
Then in your prop selection, go to the scaling wizard propulsion and change the diameter to 9". FSOne should take over from there.

I'd suggest you start with a brand new Alpha 40 plane for these edits and give it another shot. By the way, what are you trying to accomplish by making this plane smaller? If it's just for fun that's fine, I'm into experimenting for fun. Go for it.
Scott H
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor selection.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	90821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scalling-propulsion.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	90822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scalling-size-wgt.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	90823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sounds.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	90824  
Old 01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Chappy
Chappy

Hey Scott/Dave thanks for your interest. Yes I have installed the Heli and the 1.1 updates to my program. The reason I've chosen to copy the Alpha 40 is in an attempt to scale it to my own Mini-Telemaster. I do suppose that both of you are right to say they issue lies within the scaling of the copied plane, (other developer programed planes don't cause these issues) but I thought this is the purpose of making copies, to replicate an actual plane you have? If it doesn't replicate its size weight and power I doubt it will fly the same either. I mean my plane is that it is. While the stock A-40 is near close enough I thought it would be interesting (aka fun) to have a plane identical to my own that I could fly on the sim. The plane I've copied flies very well, it just dosen't recover from a crash like the others. But then again I guess my Telemaster isn't going to either! Yikes! Maybe it's closer to reality than I've given it credit. ha! I'm probably expecting too much. If FSO incorporated all the various options for replicating all aircraft the system would cost a thousand not a hundred bucks! I thought there was a solution I was overlooking. Perhaps not. I'll try deliting my current copy and start anew.
I do have a couple general questions I'd like to have some input on. I have gone to the help (gn Q mark) for explainations of the various options that can be entered when choosing scaling options, but many are vague.

1. Can you tell me how the MPropCT_UserFac (aka thrust) effects the plane? Is this prop pitch they are referring to? The setting on mine is at 1. Should a 9" SF prop with a 6" pitch be set to 6? I've tried it and it seems to turn this highwing SF into a delta winged jet!! (This would be under Airplane Edit/Prop/prop data/MpropCT_UserFac)

2. There's also a setting having to do with crash recovery (MzeroAirThreshold) under Options menue /Aerodynamics/Areo Parts/MzeroAirThreshold; mine is at "30" I've never made any changes as it says not to, but is 30 where it should be? If not could this have something to do with my crash recovery problems?

3. And I've done everything I can find under "sound" to eliminate the motor noise from the plane in the background. Can it be sinlenced without silencing my own planes motor?

Hey, I want to thank you guys again for your help here with these questions and putting up with my ignorance with the program.

Chappy

Quick Reply: FS One problems

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15681 seconds with 17 queries