Need Trainer Cord info for Futaba 4YF System - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need Trainer Cord info for Futaba 4YF System

Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Crasher

Default Need Trainer Cord info for Futaba 4YF System

Gentlemen; I am ready to buy my second Futaba 4YF radio system for my second airplane. With this second radio, I will purchase the optional trainer cord that would allow me to give my grandkids a hand on the stick with the first 4YF and my Slow Stick! I have never ever used a trainer cord before, how the heck does it work? And do I have to have both systems on the same crystal frequency? The 4YF has a momentary toggle switch on the top left side of the transmitter; does one have to hold this switch or is one touch on-one touch off? Anyway, it looks like a lot of fun. Purhaps someone can even teach me how to fly my electric planes so I don't crash 'em all of the time! Thanks to all that help, Crasher.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

You'll need to buy one of these - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDRA6&P=M to connect a 4YF to another one. They are really simple to use, the instructions are on page 15 of your users manual - http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/4yf-manual.pdf
You can find a lot of information at the Futab website - http://www.futaba-rc.com/
Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

1. The TXs do NOT need to be on the same crystal frequency, in fact the student TX is safer having no crystal in it at all. The student TX also does not need to be switched on.
2. You pull and hold the switch on the Master TX to hand over control to the student. You let go to return control to the master.

Note: both TXs need to be set up with correct reversing, trim etc so that either of them could fly the plane.

It's not exactly difficult .

Steve
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Crasher

Thanks, that is very interesting! I don't have my first radio and manual here with me, it is about one and a half hours away from here at my flying site; my son's farm! But, with the trainer cord, I can see this is going to be a lot of fun for me and my grandkids! I won't be flying anything for a few months now as we are starting our winter season here in Michigan; it is my building season. Again, I knew you "guys" could help me, many thanks from your flying friend, Crasher!