3D planes for 6s1p 5000 size packs? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

3D planes for 6s1p 5000 size packs?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:45 PM
MonsterMaxx

Default 3D planes for 6s1p 5000 size packs?

Looking for something a little bigger than my Sebart 49" which is a terrific plane. Hopefully something that'll run on packs I use in the rex600e which are 6s1p 5000 packs (740grams)

Only one I see is the Sebart Angel and while I think the Seb planes are the really nice I don't care for the look of the Angel. That pitts bipe is nice too, but at 500 beans for the airframe it's out of reach.

The extremeflight 58" extra looks really nice, but isn't big enough for these packs. I do have 2 of the 6s 3700 (575grams) but even that's a little heavy for it and these aren't a size I intend to buy more of (being used in my 500 rex now, but they are too heavy for it.) It seems they had a bigger one, but it's been discontinued.

I'm guessing something with 900sqin & 60-62" span would be about right, in the cap, yak, edge, extra style of 3d machine w/ airfoiled tail feathers.

I also need it with a clear canopy because I'm planning to FPV this bird and the camera goes under the hood.

I see aero-works has a couple, but no caps and canopys are all tinted.

I am not seeing much in this size out there. Have I missed a good one that should be considered?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:48 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

how about looking at 3dhobbyshop.com

They have some really nice (large) planes, I'm not sure about size though...

SK
Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 AM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Since you've got multiple 6s packs why not go for the gusto? As Steve mentioned 3DHS has some of the best airframes on the market and the 87" Extra 300 SHP is on of the lightest and best 3D planes out there. 2 x 6s=12s! There ya' go. Best 50cc airframes on the market IMHO. My Extra is a total blast to fly. Almost can't bring myself to fly anything smaller now. The 55" sizes are great too, don't get me wrong but bigger does fly better. They are also due out to release a 70" plane soon and I can just bet that some RC nut will make an ultra lightweight setup using 6s packs Give Ben a call, he's a hoot to chat with. I'm sure he can steer you in the right direction. Not everyday you call a company and get to speak with the owner with as much RC knowledge as he has. (he usually answers the phone).
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2280
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra 300 SHP 87 inch maiden .JPG
Views:	210
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	83112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra 300 SHP 87 inch KE pass.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	83113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ugly Mug and the Extra 2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	83114  
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 AM
MonsterMaxx

3DHS doesn't have anything appropriate. The 87" is just too big for me and my truck and my budget. I don't want something that big and $$.
The 3DHS Sukhoi 57" will have severe CG issues with 6s5000. Guys with smaller packs are already up against the spar and having to add lead weights to the tail to balance it. A 6s5000 would need a ton of lead weights. I've already scratched this one off the potential list too.

Something in the low 60" range w/ 900ish sqin would probably be ideal for the packs and the additional weight of the FPV gear I'm hoping to add.

I'll just keep hunting. I wonder if anyone makes kits anymore or if they are all ARFs now.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 PM
EDFrules

Unfortunately there's not much to choose from in 6s size. Funtana X50 is more or less a 6s bird although with a Neu gearded inrunner I was able to convert mine to 5s. Flew much better on the lighter 5s inrunner setup than the heavier 6s outrunner setup. Showtime 50 is also classified as a 6s bird but I would not recommend that airframe as a good 3D platform. Pattern/sport is more like it. Not so good @ high alpha stuff. Only thing it would do well is rolling harriers(with SFG's on). Also tried the Reactor GP/EP on both 5s inrunner and 6s outrunner systems-same results as the Funtana. The Sebart Angel S50 is also listed as 6s. I hope manufacturers do start making more 6s sized planes. Even if you only have a bunch of 3s 2200 packs you can still use them in a 6s plane so batteries shouldn't be too big an issue. I'm going to end up scratchbuilding my 6s 3D prototypes for the same reasons-can't find the right 6s plane!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 PM
eagle1026
EAGLEDOC

Take a look at the Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle. they were discontinued for awhile but Advantage Hobby has started to carry them again 59" w/s and only $219 I have one and fly it unlimited on 6s 4000Mha
Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
skycarcass

I'd also recommend a Fliton Inspire 60. Its easily converted to electric (I know, I've got one flying on a Power 60, CC 85HV, and 6S. It really fly's great. Pulls hard out of a hover. Fly's pattern almost as good as it 3d's. With the two piece wing I can actually get the thing in my 2007 Mustang That can't be said for my 1/4 scale 330.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM
powerlines
I AM NO SHOES!!!

Or Hangar 9 Showtime 50.. I have one I fly on 4s and 5s.. BUT I have a 850Kv motor.. You could get a 600 Kv and 6s would be perfect. My Showtime with 4000 4S was EXTREMEly light and EXTREMELY tail heavy and it flew SOOOO GOOOD.. I put a heavyier 5S in it and it's not tail heavy anymore Still flys good but not as good..

LATER
Old 11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
PropSpinner

Default Me to!

Good question! I'm new to electric and I have two 4270-3S packs in an Ultra Stick 60. I'm also looking for a plane to use these same packs in. Have you had any luck? There are plenty of warbirds but not much in the 3d or aerobatic department.

Name:	DSCF0082.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	84615  
Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 PM
MonsterMaxx

There is nothing out there that meets the needs I set out for.

I'm now considering a modification of this plan.

The 6s5000 packs I have are getting a little long in the tooth and I need packs for my trex 500 so...

...I'm considering getting 6s 3000 packs for the 500 and running the 600rex and plane on 12s (2x 6s3000 packs.)
The plane being the Sebart 140e

Then one family of packs runs 3 ships.

This is a pretty expensive proposition though. The ESCs needed are $300+ and the batteries aren't cheep either, so I'm not doing anything just yet. On the plus side, my chargers will work so I don't need to mess with that category.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 PM
PropSpinner

Default www.aero-works.net

I did notice that aero-works.net has a Yak and an Extra in the works but not in stock. They're both in the 6-7 lb range. What do you think of these?

Name:	5oextra260_large.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	84631   Click image for larger version

Name:	50yak_large.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	84632  
Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
EDFrules

Haven't seen much on this one yet so the jury's still out on it's 3D capability but it's big enough for 6s. Shipping might be the only kicker on this one though.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._98%_pre_built.

Name:	pittsp.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	84635  
Old 11-23-2008, 10:40 PM
MonsterMaxx

Hobbycity makes some really crappy stuff and their warranty is non existent.

Some of the cheep batteries and servos are fine, but I think for anything over $50 you are better off getting something decent. I wouldn't waste my money on a Hobbycity plane.

I did look at the aeroworks ones, but they are for a smaller pack too. Like a 5s 3700 size.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 11-23-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 PM
EDFrules

I thought the same thing until I saw their Yak-55 at an airshow a couple of weeks ago. Flew great, construction looked great and it used HC motor/servos and batteries. I quess they've heeded the complaints. Still no one has posted any info on the Pitts yet so the jury's still out. But for 189 bucks+shipping, it's a 6s 3D plane. And yes AW puts out some nice stuff too but I've had warranty issues with one of their planes and did not get any satisfaction either. Matter of fact I've had some issues with major suppliers before that supposedly had good warranty policies and again did not receive satisfaction. Lesson learned=unless you scratchbuild it yourself then good luck with warranty issues. Seems to be a crapshoot either way. I'll just have to shut up and build my 6s 3D planes and then I'll have myself to blame if they don't exceed my expectations.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
PropSpinner

Yea, I look at the Hobby City stuff but I have't pulled the trigger. Something bothers me about ordering an ARF that has to come half way around the world. UPS bangs up the stuff that only has to come from two states away. I know people that buy the ESC but they're not putting them in a $1000 plane.

I think you could go 6 cell on the Aeroworks planes. Might be better to wait and see what setup people find works best. They don't meet your target wing area either.

Did you see the 72" Yak? I think it would come out too heavy for a 6S pack.

Last edited by PropSpinner; 11-23-2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 PM
MonsterMaxx

Originally Posted by EDFrules View Post
I thought the same thing until I saw their Yak-55 at an airshow a couple of weeks ago. Flew great, construction looked great and it used HC motor/servos and batteries. I quess they've heeded the complaints. Still no one has posted any info on the Pitts yet so the jury's still out. But for 189 bucks+shipping, it's a 6s 3D plane. And yes AW puts out some nice stuff too but I've had warranty issues with one of their planes and did not get any satisfaction either. Matter of fact I've had some issues with major suppliers before that supposedly had good warranty policies and again did not receive satisfaction. Lesson learned=unless you scratchbuild it yourself then good luck with warranty issues. Seems to be a crapshoot either way. I'll just have to shut up and build my 6s 3D planes and then I'll have myself to blame if they don't exceed my expectations.

Are you scratch building or building from a stick kit? If stick kits, which ones?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM
PropSpinner

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SEA4000

You might consider the Seagull Edge. It should work on 6S fine but is built for glow power.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:38 PM
PropSpinner

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com:80/detail.aspx?ID=2347

This one says it can fly on 6 cells.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
MonsterMaxx

Originally Posted by PropSpinner View Post
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com:80/detail.aspx?ID=2347

This one says it can fly on 6 cells.
It's designed for a much smaller pack. It'll have bad CG issues. There's even photos out there of someone with a much smaller pack up against the spar and still needing to add a bunch of lead weights to the tail in order to balance it.

Who wants a plane that needs a ton of lead in order to balance it?
No thanks.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
EDFrules

72" planes might be too big for 6s packs. I've flown 6s on 58" Reactor with somewhat satisfactory results. (6.5lb) Sounds like 8-10s size. EF Yak 74" is a 10s sized plane for reference. Maybe 8s with a geared inrunner. And besides-all other ARF's come from over there anyway! And I'll be trying one of the 100A 6s sized ESC's out as I've had the top of the line ESC's smoke on me too. May as well try and poof a cheapy just for laughs! Some one has flown the QQ 69" Yak on 6s but I have the feeling it was a slightly underpowered floater.
Originally Posted by PropSpinner View Post
Yea, I look at the Hobby City stuff but I have't pulled the trigger. Something bothers me about ordering an ARF that has to come half way around the world. UPS bangs up the stuff that only has to come from two states away. I know people that buy the ESC but they're not putting them in a $1000 plane.

I think you could go 6 cell on the Aeroworks planes. Might be better to wait and see what setup people find works best. They don't meet your target wing area either.

Did you see the 72" Yak? I think it would come out too heavy for a 6S pack.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 AM
EDFrules

There's no such thing as a 6s 3D kit. I'm making 2 planes of my own design. Again I can't find what I want so I've got to make it. Wish I could find the right precision/3D platform but no one seems to want to make that size plane. Not much of a market I quess.
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx View Post
Are you scratch building or building from a stick kit? If stick kits, which ones?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 AM
PropSpinner

http://www.fedonaircraft.net/fedon%20aircraft_008.htm

Did you miss the 50 size SebArt Sukhoi? I think this one fits the ticket. I might get it.

Did you find the quality of the Sebart ARF to be good? I refuse to buy stuff for this price that I have to replace all the hardware and make a ton of modifications. You can kit build after you do all of that. That is if you can find a kits anymore.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

I was in the same boat as yourself, the whole of the UK was out of stock of sebart sukhois so I went for a YT International zlin 50L at 63" my trex600E packs (same as yours) slotted right in, perfect balance, no extra weight anywhere.
The model cam out at 7.1lbs, thrust is 9.8lbs & power is 1KW, she pulls vertical as well. Havent tried 3D yet, but she does have HUGE ailerons & elevators, with massive movements, have used rates at 60% reduction just to fly normally!!!

Kirsty xx
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx View Post
Hobbycity makes some really crappy stuff and their warranty is non existent.

Some of the cheep batteries and servos are fine, but I think for anything over $50 you are better off getting something decent. I wouldn't waste my money on a Hobbycity plane.

I did look at the aeroworks ones, but they are for a smaller pack too. Like a 5s 3700 size.
I buy 95% of my stuff from hobbycity, not had any problems. You cant get a warranty on an aircraft, NO manufacturer will do that.

Kirsty x
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
EDFrules

Kirsty, have you used any Rhino 25c 6s packs? Just curious as to how they are holding up. I'm considering buying a set to try in my 12s bird. For $111 a pack even if they go south won't be that big a loss.

Quick Reply: 3D planes for 6s1p 5000 size packs?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10496 seconds with 18 queries