B-52 kit - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

B-52 kit

Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
wartoy

Default B-52 kit

Hello all,

Would anybody know of any B-52 kits? I have looked around but doesn't seem to be any. Some fellow called unlimited racer<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_292340", true); </SCRIPT> posted what looks to a kit of some sort http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25797 back in 2006 but no additional posts to it were made.

I would be very thankful for any help. If anybody could cut me a kit from existing plans I would be interested.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by wartoy View Post
Hello all,

Would anybody know of any B-52 kits? I have looked around but doesn't seem to be any. Some fellow called unlimited racer<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_292340", true); </script> posted what looks to a kit of some sort http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25797 back in 2006 but no additional posts to it were made.

I would be very thankful for any help. If anybody could cut me a kit from existing plans I would be interested.
wartoy:: I'll see if I can find something between these two, bub,steve
Chuck's Hobbies

The Home of Radio Control Airplane Electric RC Jets, supplier of the highest quality laser cut kits

<!-- 4 --> <form id="searchQuickForm" method="get" action="/searchquick-submit.sc;jsessionid=9D604C398CD779E0FE42640202D4C D27.qscstrfrnt02">
  • Quick Search
  • <input name="keywords" value="" id="searchtext" class="input" type="text"> <input value="Go!" class="quick-search-button btn" type="submit">
  • Advanced Search
</form>

<!-- end .header The header is before the 1st wrapper so that it is seperate from the columns --> <!-- This wrapper is only used for BG tiling on the right column --> <!-- optional extra styling div --> <!-- This class is used to pad text content in the cols, so that the cols don't need side padding that would then require box model hacking for IE5.x/win --> Our Products >> Radio Control Models >> Warbirds >> Green Air Designs B-52 "BUFF"
<!-- div.product-page div.product-info div.primary div.product-title h2 div.product-description div.product-features ul div.secondary div.imganddetail div.product-image img span (cte) div.details ul (item + inventory) div.order-info div.options ul div.product-extras div.best-values div.product-related --> Green Air Designs B-52 "BUFF"

<!-- Calculate which image zoom to use --> Click To Zoom

• Item #: gadb52

<form id="addToCartForm" method="post" action="/addtocart.sc;jsessionid=9D604C398CD779E0FE42640202 D4CD27.qscstrfrnt02"> <input name="productId" value="126" type="hidden"> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://shop.chuckshobbies.com/scripts/jquery-latest.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://shop.chuckshobbies.com/scripts/productOptions.js"></script> <table class="product-options-table" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="label"> Qty </td> <td class="field"> <input name="quantity" size="3" value="1" type="text"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="label"> Price </td> <td class="field"> $84.95 </td> </tr> <!-- Will only be visible with option prices --> <tr id="adjustedPriceItem" class="price adj hidden"> <td class="label"> Adjusted Price </td> <td class="field"> $84.95 </td> </tr> <tr class="buynow"> <td class="label"> <!-- fmt:message key="product.addtocart.prefix"/ -->
</td> <td class="field"> <input value="Add To Cart" class="btn" type="submit"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script type="text/javascript" charset="UTF-8"> // compute the item total now, just in case the default options increase the base price. var currencyFormat = '-$#,###.00'; computeItemTotal(); </script> </form>

Micro B-52 "BUFF"

Laser Cut Kit from Depron, Water Slide decals, All wood required to build kit, Glass & Hardware pack.
HAND LAUNCHABLE, NO BUNGEES
Designed for GAD 21g Brushless
36" Span
2s 1500-2200Mah Lipos
Build Skill - Easy
Flying Skill - Easy
Kit Consists of:
LASER CUT Complete set of Depron parts for construction
LASER CUT Balsa & Play Parts
Complete hardware pack including linkages
ABS Canopy
Full instruction sheets and drawings
Equipment not supplied:

Batteries, Glue. UHU-Por/Spraymount +Epoxy is fine , but use sparingly(heavy)
Sand paper, 80 grit for basic shaping, 240 for finals and 400 for finish.
Light weight filler( watered down to a paint consistency then sanded)
Acrylics
Power system
Servos
Rx
Velcro

Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 PM
wartoy

Ya, I am sure something between those two size will pop up. Something around the middle would be nice.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by wartoy View Post
Ya, I am sure something between those two size will pop up. Something around the middle would be nice.
We'll find it!! your bub, steve
Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Kiwikid

There is this one available now: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...7&postcount=30
Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Kiwikid View Post
Thats very nice Kiwikid are there any videos of the B52 flying, i did not see any over at RCG, Take Care, Chellie
Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Kiwikid

Yes, there are three links to vids in the RCG thread - they are in posts 51, 104 and 124.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Kiwikid View Post
Yes, there are three links to vids in the RCG thread - they are in posts 51, 104 and 124.
Thank You Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

For a B52, the Cox Airlifter would be a good starting point. The plane has a good wing with intentionally designed/molded in washout, for good flying qualities. The plane is literally one of the most docile, stable, difficult to stall with no tip stalling plane I have ever flown. I'd call it a trainer, if built for that purpose. About the only lesson I learned, and had to rework, was to make the ailerons large enough for good control.

I was going to build mine as a B52, but went for the Arado 16/42-19, as it was easier to do with 2 fans. If I had been remotoring EDF30 fans with Feigaos, as I started doing later, it would have been more appealing, although costly.. EDF40s would be a bit large. Either way, the plane flys well on 2 Feigao EDF50 fans, with the original lower power 4100kv motor on 3s. Even with a bit of weight, it's a floater and needs little power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Arado_16_43_19_flight_6.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	115035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arado_16_43_19_pic15.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	115036  
Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default B-52H Practical Size For Modeling W/WatterPower

There isn't going to be a practical sized eight fan B-52 because the mass overwhelms power. There have been two large B-52's since the mid-80's when Lenard Van Zanten's ducted fan 52 flew with 8...count them...8 semitar fans of his design.

Lenard offered the molds for his 22'+ monster to me...I decided there was no way to practically achieve balance between size and power to consistantly get it off the ground. Half a day bent over trying to get one flight in................................................ .....is not my idea of fun.

The best combination IMHO would have you using a pair of StuMax on the inboard nacelles and pass through for outboard on a physical size in the 100 to 120" range. At best maybe four StuMax in four twin nacelles with batteries in the other side of each.

You need to compare the StuMax's cross section to a 120" w/s B-52 to see if you can fit it in. You may find you need to push out greater than 120" w/s to get the nacelle wide enough for the StuMax.

Below is the 6.3" wide head-on and side view of the Stu-Max electric ducted fan. This a 14 to 19 # thrust package which will yield a 1.62" lifting capacity per # of thrust. Reverse engineer the B-52 working from known component weight to determine the minimum physical size capable of flight with the StuMax. Four of these will definately do the deed.... : )

Name:	aviak179Jpeg.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	117100   Click image for larger version

Name:	aviak180jpg.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	117101   Click image for larger version

Name:	SM110HdOn6pt3inch.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	117104   Click image for larger version

Name:	SM110Side6pt3.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	117105  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-02-2010 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Images
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

I don't know what you had in mind when you posted relative to a "kit" for the Buff. It is not that difficult a scratch project. I worked it up recently prior to my decision to do the B-47 instead. I'll post some resources for you to get a general feel for what is going to be needed.

Wing multiple incidences and anhediral.

Name:	wing incidence.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	117108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Takeoffwingnflaplines.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	117110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flap wing1.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	117111   Click image for larger version

Name:	RootWlines.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	117112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Root Angle.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	117114  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing view.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	117115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landincid.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	117116  
Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hmmmm this looks neet

http://www.miniplanes.fr/avions-rc/a...rf-p-1422.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680433

Old 01-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Buff earf

It appears to be a film covered built up laser cut wood kit from the above photo seen on the web site. 2m w/s and 1.7m length makes for a decent size model when you consider the nacelles are for 8~60mm.

What is their anticipated AUW?

I have ModelCAD files if you would like to make one of these on your own. There have been three or four people develope 2m to 3m w/s BUFFs. The ModelCAD will permit you to make it any size.

There is plenty of video for the ModelCAD design which is basically a slope soarer. Powering it is when you begin to run into mass vs size issues with a wing that skinny.

If anyone wants the ModelCAD files I can email them to you.

As for the BUFF being sold on the French web site I noticed Cedar Hobbies no longer offers it. Since it was introduced in 2006 the French site is probably selling left over inventory. With the ModelCAD files you could build an H weighing a lot less than the French one....

Buying the one below would provide a basis to build it out with less weight and greater detail with little sacrafice in performance.

Merging the ModelCAD data with this inexpensive foam would provide you a great deal of wiggle room with respect to a scale BUFF. You should be able to talk him into cutting the foam larger considering it was lofted in CAD. He could probably take the ModelCAD design and cut it larger.

You should give strong consideration to add a wing spar to the design considering the wing droops on its own as it sits in the relatively high incidence. Creating a truss for the fuselage for receipt of wing tubes will resolve this issue. The truss could be virtual one laser cut from ply about 20% further than the wing root.

I am talking about an ROG BUFF, not a hand launched one.

I posted three flap detail videos in Jason's BUFF thread to illustrate how easily the flap could be incorporated without a lot of work. George's Tu-95 is another Flite-Metal poster child.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 01-02-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Oleo1

I always wondered whatever happened to Ceder Hobbies offering of the BUFF kit!, now i read, it's already out of production and was only offered by some french site!. I was one who would have oredered it when is was introduced but at that time prototype was still being worked on and then all seemed to be vanished about Ceder Hobbie's kit!.....very sad but interesting read for sure. I'm a BUFF fan also and Ed from Flite_metal knows about my passion for this aircraft too....

Sam

Last edited by Oleo1; 03-15-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Okay, this could be trickier than buying a ready-made online, but Chris Golds is an old RAF days buddy of mine back in England - and Chris probably holds the record for number of B52 models built. He's up around six, varying from a small one with 8 Cox 020 glow engines - Chris is a very long time aeromodeller - to a monster with 8 46 glow DF units and a custom built full scale retracting UC.

As even Chris is up to progress, his last three were electrics - 2 big, one small. Idle snippet - he sold the first big one, a simpler version built to prove an electric version of his earlier glow models, and got to fly his more complex second electric with the other one when he and the new owner got together a couple of years ago.

Now the Big Snag. Chris writes for Quiet & Electric Flight International, by UK based Traplet Publications. His plans are published for sale as full sized printed plans - a slightly better business model than giving them away on the internet, it seems Chris's plans are still for sale by Traplet, and come with pretty comprehensive building instructions. This is his smaller electric BUFF:

https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=1020

As this is hardly a type that's been modelled like, say, the P51 or J3 Cub, Chris is about as close as you're going to get to being an 'expert'. Okay, the plan is around $36 - $39 shipped to the US, but if you're going to look at buying eight EDF units etc. I reckon it could be a good investment.

Hope that helps

Dereck