Flying the Super Cub - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Flying the Super Cub

Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 AM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Originally Posted by jksecunda View Post
I just went out in the yard and tried to fly the plane with no power. I DID put the battery in the plane. It went about 20ft and went down. It seems balanced, about center of the wing, leans forward a little. Oh well. Easy to get discouraged in this hobby.

Hey Sec. Stop beating yourself up brother. At the same time we are our own hardest critic. I felt the same way when I was crashing time and time again. Its going to happend.

Fly that sucker, figure it out and before you know it you'll be posting some happy endings. I admit at first I was wound a little too tight for this hobby. With the help of freinds here at W.F. I learned to let go a little, and try to enjoy the learning process.

Cheech

P.S. Im yet to release my happy ending. But we will get there.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:30 AM
dk_aero

Originally Posted by BatteriesIncluded View Post
This one looks easier to make and can be done with stuff on hand:

http://www.instructables.com/id/East...d-Speed-Meter/

or you can use the beaufort scale:

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/beaufort.html
Very cool! Thanks for the link!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:46 PM
ray54

I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how
Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 PM
ray54

Here are the Pictures of my super cub do you guy's see any problems the battery is in the plane and the control is on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Airplane 002.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	76089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airplane 003.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	76090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airplane 004.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	76091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airplane 005.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	76092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airplane 006.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	76093  

Old 08-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default looks

Looks good to me..... Now...go out and give em hell!!
Zoo ~~~^..^~~~
Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default wind meter CHEAP & GOOD!

Check this one out man...$39, handheld digital.
http://www.dasdistribution.com/produ...ers/AR-816.htm
Zoo ~~~^..^~~~
Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Yeah not bad Zoo, though it still has to be held in the hand and aimed directly into the wind to measure it. One advantage the windtronic from HL has, it can be setup and left alone and reads the wind from any direction and displays all info at the same time.

Hehe, but then it's twice the price.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM
toons
Who, Me, Fly?

Originally Posted by ray54 View Post
Here are the Pictures of my super cub do you guy's see any problems the battery is in the plane and the control is on.
Came in late... does this SC have ailerons? If not, I don't see any dihedral in the wings!

toons
Old 08-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default re:

No Tunes...none...and I see you're point Sabrehawk and a good one it is. For the extra scratch I'd go with yours. Can it be attached to your car antennae?
Thanks,
Zoo ~~~^..^~~~
Old 08-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Sabrehawk

Smile

No Zoo, but it can be attached to any tripod cause it as a threaded hole in the base. I have a mini tripod it's attached to, but a larger one can also be used if needed.
I usually place it on top of my Cherokee where it's up higher and easily visible & checked.

Oh and I was gonna say the same of the wing too, it doesnt look to have much if any dihedral, but not sure why. And a 3 ch ship does need some dihedral for good turning ability.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:01 PM
toons
Who, Me, Fly?

The wing dihedral absolutely must be there for a stock SC to fly...
- toons
Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 PM
toons
Who, Me, Fly?

ray54 -

Your SC wing should look like this...

- toons
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	a939650-6-xSCfront-angle.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	76099  
Old 08-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Hmmmm, I think I see why his wing is flatter, his struts look like string or fishing line drawn up too tight. They dont look like the originals that the SC comes with for sure.

Last edited by Sabrehawk; 08-23-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Yes, there must be dihedral for a plane to turn effectively with just a rudder. Don't know how you got your wing so flat, but I'll bet it's hard to fly like that.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 PM
dk_aero

The CG looks good, but that wing is definitely a problem...

The dihedral of a wing determines the amount of self-correction capability an aircraft has in the roll axis. More dihedral allows more self-correction at the expense of less lift, more drag and less axial rolls. Nevertheless, dihedral is sometimes necessary and is especially important for trainer aircraft.

Remove the wing and set it on the table. With one wing tip down against the table, the other wing tip should angle up above the table. Distance from the table to the high wing tip should be approximately 3 1/2 inches (around 8 degrees dihedral).

Also, check the alignment of the horizontal stabilizer. Mark a spot on the behind the wing saddle at the centerline of the fuselage. Measure from the centerline spot to one of the tips of the stabilizer. Measure from the centerline spot to the other tip of the stabilizer. They should be same (at least within 1/8"). Check that the vertical stabilizer appears aligned with the centerline of the fuselage.

Install the wing on the plane and measure from the left wing tip to the left horizontal stabilizer tip. Now measure from the right wing tip to the right stabilizer tip. Measurements should be the same. These measurements insure that the wing is square with the horizontal stabilizer.

Hope this helps! Hang in there!

~ DK
Old 08-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by dk_aero View Post
The dihedral of a wing determines the amount of self-correction capability an aircraft has in the roll axis. More dihedral allows more self-correction at the expense of less lift, more drag and less axial rolls. Nevertheless, dihedral is sometimes necessary and is especially important for trainer aircraft.
Dihedral is ALWAYS necessary for a plane that has no ailerons. It provides lateral stability and allows the plane to bank when it turns. I'm not saying that it won't fly without dihedral, but it certainly won't fly well.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:40 AM
dk_aero

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Dihedral is ALWAYS necessary for a plane that has no ailerons. It provides lateral stability and allows the plane to bank when it turns. I'm not saying that it won't fly without dihedral, but it certainly won't fly well.

Correct... if you have no ailerons you gotta have dihedral... Even most trainer type ships that do have ailerons will have some dihedral...

Also note that high wing monoplanes will require less dihedral than low wing monoplanes...
Old 08-23-2008, 01:10 AM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Yep, yep my decathalon has dihedral, and it's a 4ch ship. In fact if ya lookat most any full scale plane they too have some.

The more I look at those pics, the more it looks like those wires are pulling it down cause they even look like they are bending down. Especially in the first pic from the left.

Well, gotta go fly I got this 10yr old who's been itching to go out again. So off we go.
Doug, we're going over to Ron Regis park on hwy 169 if yer feeling like it.
But if that's crowded, we'll go to North Meridian park, or maybe Honeydew.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:01 AM
ray54

I fixed The wing tonight at work. One strut was borken at one end, thats why the fish line. put struts back on with a little hot glue on wing parts wing picks up about 3" now
Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 AM
humboldt guy

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Thanks Sabrehawk. I think that one from HL will be about the cheapest one I can find, which is ironic because HL prices have jumped a bit.

thanks for the link Humboldt, but I don't think I want to spend almost $200.00 for a wind meter. I really appreciate the response though friend. Thanks.

Mike
How about the entry level one for about 65 bucks? That's what I use.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:19 AM
humboldt guy

Phenomenal thread! I don't own a SC, but I'm helping 2 of my friends learn to fly on theirs (I get my stick time on em too). I've learned a lot about the SC and flying in general just on this thread, which was a surprise! Many thanks to my fellow wattheads.And Cheech, I'm nightshift also (helps explain why some of my posts are....strange). My solution is to sleep in the morning, get up early afternoon and go play, sleep again in eve before work. That way I always have some daytime to play in, I consider it a perk actually. Good flying all!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 AM
jksecunda
Jeff

Originally Posted by humboldt guy View Post
Phenomenal thread! I don't own a SC, but I'm helping 2 of my friends learn to fly on theirs (I get my stick time on em too). I've learned a lot about the SC and flying in general just on this thread, which was a surprise! Many thanks to my fellow wattheads.And Cheech, I'm nightshift also (helps explain why some of my posts are....strange). My solution is to sleep in the morning, get up early afternoon and go play, sleep again in eve before work. That way I always have some daytime to play in, I consider it a perk actually. Good flying all!
Thank you, Thank you(taking a bow). I just wanted to know how to fly my super cub. AND as of yet, still have not had a successful flight(take off and landing). If anyone living in the Fort Wayne Indiana area would like to assist an older rc beginner, it would be most appreciated.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:17 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

I know this makes no sense to me but if you dial in down elevator wont it go down when you throw it? When it stalls, it does not necessarly mean that the engine fails, does it? If the engine is not on, then how can it stall? Questions, questions. Whats a flyer to do? I still dont get all the flying verbage.
The wing needs air speed to develop left to stay aloft. If you have too much elevator dialed in, the plane will climb when you throw it but loose air speed and then stall.

The goal of adding down elevator is to have the plane fly level and maintain sufficient air speed to keep from staling.

If you have slightly too much down elevator dialed in you can always pull back a little on the stick. If iyou have too much up elevator dialed in and it pops up and stalls, there is absolutel nothing you can do and it will crash.

If I was standing next to you I would tell you to throw it MUCH harder and level. Practice throwing a broom like a a spear and then do the same throw with the plane.

QUick confirmation: When we talk about hand launching the plane with no engine the radio is on and you have the radio in your other hand ready to use correct?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

I just went out in the yard and tried to fly the plane with no power. I DID put the battery in the plane. It went about 20ft and went down. It seems balanced, about center of the wing, leans forward a little. Oh well. Easy to get discouraged in this hobby.
Did it stall and crash or just glide at the same angle into the ground? If it did not stall then you can either pull back a little on the stick to extend the flight or add one click at a time to the elevator to trim the plane.

Throw it like you are thorowing a football at eye level to someone 40-50' away.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:27 PM
jksecunda
Jeff

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
QUick confirmation: When we talk about hand launching the plane with no engine the radio is on and you have the radio in your other hand ready to use correct?
Yes.

Quick Reply: Flying the Super Cub

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15471 seconds with 16 queries