what's a good trainer for a newbie? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

what's a good trainer for a newbie?

Old 08-10-2008, 05:03 PM
RyuuChi

Default what's a good trainer for a newbie?

hi guys, i'm a heli guy, but my dad wants to get into flying electric planes. basically, i got him a kyosho ducted fan a6 for fathers day (since that's what he actually flew in the navy) but he doesn't want to crash it right off the bat. so we decided that he needs a good trainer, something realistic looking, but really easy to fly. the guy at our LHS recomended the parkflyer j3 cub, but my father wants more opinions, so i thought i'd ask the airplane flyers here. so what do you guys think?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gaak View Post
hi guys, i'm a heli guy, but my dad wants to get into flying electric planes. basically, i got him a kyosho ducted fan a6 for fathers day (since that's what he actually flew in the navy) but he doesn't want to crash it right off the bat. so we decided that he needs a good trainer, something realistic looking, but really easy to fly. the guy at our LHS recomended the parkflyer j3 cub, but my father wants more opinions, so i thought i'd ask the airplane flyers here. so what do you guys think?

aakBub:::GWS E-Starter (cess=-180)fills the bill as you don't need to start him out with a mess-o-27hz stuff that'll do ya'll no good down the road, you can use the batteries & ESC&servos from the kyosho in her and move um to the kyosho when he's ready, your bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 363.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	74943   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 313.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	74944   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 553.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	74945   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 414.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	74946   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 634.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	74947  

Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 685.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	74948   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 177.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	74949  
Old 08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hobbyzone Supercub or Parkzone J3 Cub but Supercub is slower flying and is more durable.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Good First Plane?

Hello Gaak,
I agree with Steve, the E-Starter is a great intro to electric flying. Hopefully you or your Dad have a bit of ARF building experience, it's not ready-to-fly. But it's simple and lots of threads here to help.
One of the main points why I recommend it is, you can build it as a rudder/elevator/throttle plane or add ailerons, the parts are included.
Plus, as Steve mentioned, with a separate radio system, you're not locked into the RTF system when it comes time to upgrade the airplane, you can just swap parts into the new model.
GWS make optional floats for this plane and motor or battery upgrades are easy.
JMO
Ron
Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

It seems you have already been given some great advice friend, but make no mistake, the Kyosho A-6 is NOT for the beginner! She will fly with a fair amount of speed and is nothing like a prop plane. I would definitely get some sim time in as well. Good luck to you and your dad gaak.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

I'd skip the small stuff and go with something that will be long-term investment/enjoyable:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster6.htm

or something similar. Hobby-Lobby puts a quality package together, but I think the pricing for the premium stuff is a bit intimidating...
Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
RyuuChi

ok, great advice guys, thanks much! we have building experience, that's for sure, as we both used to scratch build balsa rubberband flyers. and i guess the one thing i forgot to mention was that he has a dx6i that i got him as well as the A6, so he really just wants to use that rather than grow a collection of Tx's. oh yeah, also didn't mention that he has 40+ years experience as a real pilot, and the tough part for him is going to be the transition to RC.

on the whole, the parkflyer J3 cub is available at our lhs as a pnp and i think that if enough of you think it would work well for him, that's what we want to do.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:27 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

The PNP Cub seems to have a decent following. One of my fellow clubmates has one and he flies his often.

The best is you get to fly with yer dad. I'd give my eyeteeth to have that opportunity.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
RyuuChi

yeah, i just gotta get him up and flying in something. I have realflight g4 that i've been encouraging him to use, and we've just gotta figure out a plane for him to get started on.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Leo L

Hi Gaak,

The two best beginner planes are the HobbyZone SuperCub and the Multiplex EasyStar. Either one would be great for your father to learn with. I prefer the SuperCub because it has landing gear, allowing ground take-offs; looks like a real plane; replacement parts are readily available at most hobby shops; and it can easily be upgraded. The SuperCub comes with RTF, so I would fly it with the supplied radio, then when your dad is used to flying it, replace the radio with Dx6i as part of the upgrading. As you said, you really want to get your dad up in the air. You won't find a better plane to do so, and to come back down in one piece, then the SuperCub.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 PM
RyuuChi

yeah, that plane looks good, but it's Nimh with a brushed motor, and it comes with a Tx, which we don't want or need. I think he's convinced to go with the j3 pnp at this point. Thanks everyone!!