Wing Dragon 4 Flying problems - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Wing Dragon 4 Flying problems

Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 PM
btyler

Default Wing Dragon 4 Flying problems

I have had my first flight of any length with my wing dragon 4 it flew pretty well other than being way underpowered. In a very light wind it would almost stand still anyway to my problem. I hand launched it and noticed it had a tendancy to turn to the right i know about tirmming a littel but, is there anything else that could be causing this that may need to be looked at anyone have a similar problem
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Are your batteries fully charged? If they are NIMH or Nicad it will take a few cycles (times flying) to get them to peak performance. Also if the prop can push on either way, make sure any lettering on the prop face forwards.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM
btyler

The prop only pushes on one way now the battery thing maybe becuase i got maybe 3 mins of flight after that i didnt have enough power left to get a good hand launch to say in the air it would just slowly drit to the ground. but i charged with the provided charger that came with the plane and did cycle a few times befor flying.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Be sure you are launching the plane straight out and away from you. You should toss it like a javelin not like a football. Make sure the wings are level when you launch.

More information about that family of planes can be found in the Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks thread.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Unintentional_Loop

The tendency to drift off to the right could be caused by the tailplane being a little out of skew. If you hold the aircraft so that you are looking at it from directly in front, looking towards the rear of the plane you should be able to see if this is the case quite easily. Mine had a similar problem and was easily fixed by grasping the black boom section firmly and giving it a gently twist to bring the tailplane into the proper vertical plane.

As for the batteries, I suspect that you'll find that you'll get longer flights with more use. Maybe try some more charge/discharge cycles during the times that you're not out flying.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:50 PM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by btyler View Post
I have had my first flight of any length with my wing dragon 4 it flew pretty well other than being way underpowered. In a very light wind it would almost stand still anyway to my problem. I hand launched it and noticed it had a tendancy to turn to the right i know about tirmming a littel but, is there anything else that could be causing this that may need to be looked at anyone have a similar problem
Just double check that all the control surfaces are in line with the static surfaces.....other than that....trim it out when you get her up high enough.

Also if you try to climb too fast she can tip stall right.....keep your climb out to about 15-20 deg max with the stock motor. Go easy on the elevator!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
amakipkip
Un-proud South African

I had this problem. WD 4 was my first plane The First time I flew it I flew it at my schools rugby fields, when my friend hand launched it for me, it banked hard right. So I circled it and touched down. I thought that it was maybe the prop, but only when I looked L8er I saw that the flutter from the prop was going to the Right, but when i told him to throw it hard and level it did the same thing. So i rolled it up and took off. When it was high in the Air i trimmed it and brought it down. Then just thought that I bought the plane to fly not to hassle with it > but just check that your wing is on centre and that the C surfaces are tuned straight with the servo arms. And make sure your control surfaces are parrallel to their own parent surfaces. Then see what happens, get high, trim, and stop worrying about it. Hope I Helped!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

The Wing Dragon 4 is great plane but on mine the control linkages were NOT set up correctly as delivered. The aileron control rods were not even in the same holes on the left & right wings! I put the rods in the outer hole on the aileron horn and the nearest hole on the servo. This limits the movement to what the aileron hinges can actually handle but dont worry it will still roll OK.
The ailerons are very powerful so do make sure they are EXACTLY inline with the wing trailing edge when the stick is centered, just a tiny bit out and it will fly in circles. I had to adjust my control rod lengths quit a bit to achieve this but it does now fly straight.
I have removed the wheels on mine so I hand launch and just land on the grass.