GWS P51 Elevator Problems - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

GWS P51 Elevator Problems

Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Buck Rogers

Default GWS P51 Elevator Problems

I took out my trusty GWS P51 today and it was exhibiting some strange behaviour. Basically, although I previously had the plane trimmed perfectly it wasted to nose down all the time. Strangely when I slowed down it flew straight again.

Second, when I was in a hard banked turn with lots of elevator it wanted to roll.

I suspect the problem is the torque rod between the two elevator halves. I've never been able to get this quite right and there is quite a bit of slop.

Does anyone know hoe to get the elevator to work properly on this plane?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:37 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

You can run another control rod to the other side of the elevator from the same servo arm.

I did that on mine and it worked like a champ. Have long since retired that mustang and don't have any pics of it but it was very easy to do. I just heated up a scrap piece of rod and made the whole in the same area on the opposite side. Then cut a rod to length and put you a control horn on that side too and you'll be all set.

I always had a difficult time getting that wire between the two halves to work properly as well.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Yeah as Bill had said the two control horn/rods would be a more solid configuration.

What's more then likely happened on yours is the foam is letting the rod move around inside the elevator halves, and the half without the control horn on it is no longer matched up to the other side.

So when you apply elevator, you're not getting equal response on each side.

Something I've done in the past on setups like this too. I drilled out the elevator halfs and glued in a piece of control rod tube for the wire to go into. This spreads out the force against the foam a little better, rather then the wire itself pushing against the foam.

I've also gone to a centered elevator connection, rather then the one side version the stock one uses. This evens out more the control deflections. Plus it cleans up the bird as there is no control horn or rod sticking out.