518 watt A123 Charger - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

518 watt A123 Charger

Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 AM
  #1  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default 518 watt A123 Charger

while searching for a high power charger for my packs, i have found this
chargebug hb1212 at http://www.helibug.com

any1 know about this?...any suggestions?....
wattpower is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM
  #2  
Gohmer
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 631
Smile Charger

Originally Posted by wattpower View Post
while searching for a high power charger for my packs, i have found this
chargebug hb1212 at http://www.helibug.com

any1 know about this?...any suggestions?....
Looks good to me. Your website? Too bad it's for sale as a pre order. Any sellers have them in stock?
Gohmer is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 04:40 PM
  #3  
aviatordave
Super Contributor
 
aviatordave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,233
Default

Gohmer - Did you get A123's?....geez that thing is almost 400 bucks
aviatordave is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 PM
  #4  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Looks good to me. Your website? Too bad it's for sale as a pre order. Any sellers have them in stock?
no....not my website (i wish, if i am that smart - hehehe)
looks very powerfull....

i have searched known sellers, did'nt find it anywhere...

it says its releasing by 30 june....hopefully
wattpower is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 04:50 PM
  #5  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
Gohmer - Did you get A123's?....geez that thing is almost 400 bucks
if it does what it says its capable of, then its not a bad price.
i've never found any charger with that much power in this price yet.
wattpower is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 05:45 PM
  #6  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Yeah, but FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS?

I could get a plane and a pile of batteries for that....
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 PM
  #7  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Yeah, but FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS?

I could get a plane and a pile of batteries for that....

yeah true...but, i have spent arround $3000 on my electric helicopter....wont hurt me much if i need a high power charger. there is'nt any cheap options when that much charge power is required.

if you use mastech powersupplies....thats expensive option too...plus its big and heavy....and if you want to use it in the field, then you need a power source to power that powersupply....either an inverter or a generator...

compare to all that mess, this is much better and handy....just my two cents.
wattpower is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 PM
  #8  
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead
 
SkunkyMagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,142
Default

It only charges at 12A max, you can charge A123 at a MUCH higher rate than that for MUCH cheaper.

Other than the microprocessor and all that schnazzy junk, it is just a run of the mill $50 500w PSU @ 12A.
SkunkyMagoo is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM
  #9  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
It only charges at 12A max, you can charge A123 at a MUCH higher rate than that for MUCH cheaper.

Other than the microprocessor and all that schnazzy junk, it is just a run of the mill $50 500w PSU @ 12A.
well....internally, all chargers uses a microcontroller with a few schnazzy junk and a cheap crappy psu... and they all rip us off with the price they ask.

compare to all that junk available in the market...this one is heavy....
12cells is 43.2v and at 12amp its 518 watt.....
i personally have not seen anything like that with this price.

i know there are 1000 ways to skin a cat...and this is one of them
wattpower is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 07:21 PM
  #10  
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead
 
SkunkyMagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,142
Default

Check out zip chargin

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25492

Edit: although I am not sure if this method will suite your needs.
SkunkyMagoo is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
  #11  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
Check out zip chargin

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25492

Edit: although I am not sure if this method will suite your needs.

thanks for the link....but, if you can link me to a 500 watt powersupply which can run off the car battery and cheap like $50-$60, that will be really really great...
wattpower is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
  #12  
write2dgray
ProgressiveRC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 159
Default

That is an interesting charger - I'm into industrial design, but that thing appears to be a car stereo amplifier with 4mm jacks and a 2x16 lcd. Seems a bit overpriced for no balancing, no update or computer logging, and a max. 12A charge rate. 12A puts it near the head of the pack, but it's still a little low for uber-fast A123 charging and the competition is about 1/2 the price. Short of the ultra high-end Schulze 20.36-14 this charger claims more watts than anything else out there.

A good deep cycle battery IS a 500+ watt power supply in and of itself, get you a short length of zip cord and you have just about the fastest charging set-up available for 3S A123.


- David
write2dgray is offline  
Old 06-05-2008, 04:07 PM
  #13  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
That is an interesting charger - I'm into industrial design, but that thing appears to be a car stereo amplifier with 4mm jacks and a 2x16 lcd. Seems a bit overpriced for no balancing, no update or computer logging, and a max. 12A charge rate. 12A puts it near the head of the pack, but it's still a little low for uber-fast A123 charging and the competition is about 1/2 the price. Short of the ultra high-end Schulze 20.36-14 this charger claims more watts than anything else out there.

A good deep cycle battery IS a 500+ watt power supply in and of itself, get you a short length of zip cord and you have just about the fastest charging set-up available for 3S A123.


- David
good comparison....well, after reading your opinion and comparing other chargers at http://progressiverc.com/Charger.html, i placed my order to get this beast !

thanks for your input.
wattpower is offline  
Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 PM
  #14  
write2dgray
ProgressiveRC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 159
Default

Then you absolutely must let us know how it performs. It certainly appears to be a unique product - the "Helibug Chargebug HB-1212." Designed and manufactured in the USA (out of Plano, TX) and slated for release into the wild on June 30.

What do you intend to charge with this unit and what will you be using as a power source?
write2dgray is offline  
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM
  #15  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
Then you absolutely must let us know how it performs. It certainly appears to be a unique product - the "Helibug Chargebug HB-1212." Designed and manufactured in the USA (out of Plano, TX) and slated for release into the wild on June 30.

What do you intend to charge with this unit and what will you be using as a power source?

i will definitely do that and post the results once i receive it...
mainly, i will be using it for my A123 packs....i am using 12s1p on my helicopter and thats the one i will be charging....other then that, i am using 6s1p on one of my airplane, which i can charge too...but, using two packs in series, since this charger wont charge less then 12 cells....but, no biggy.

"(out of Plano,TX)"....well, to be honest with you....i dont care
we use chargers from china, and if you go see where they manufacture or design those, i am sure you will be surprised
wattpower is offline  
Old 06-06-2008, 04:20 PM
  #16  
write2dgray
ProgressiveRC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 159
Default

Hey I've got nothing against Plano, even spent some time in and around that area. So, are you sure the only cell count for this guy 12S?! Seems to me based on the specs. that it can handle lower cell counts as well, up to a maximum of 12S LiFePO4 or 10S LiPo.
write2dgray is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 AM
  #17  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
Hey I've got nothing against Plano, even spent some time in and around that area. So, are you sure the only cell count for this guy 12S?! Seems to me based on the specs. that it can handle lower cell counts as well, up to a maximum of 12S LiFePO4 or 10S LiPo.

yes, its for fixed number of cells....based on the description here
wattpower is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 PM
  #18  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

I have just found out that this charger is now released...

any feedbacks if any1 bought it?
wattpower is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
  #19  
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead
 
SkunkyMagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,142
Default

We are waiting for you!
SkunkyMagoo is offline  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:32 PM
  #20  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by SkunkyMagoo View Post
We are waiting for you!
i definitely will
wattpower is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
  #21  
everydayflyer
Southern Pride
 
everydayflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 717
Default

Hyperion DUO running off of 12V battery will charge two ea. 6S A123 packs at approx. 8Amps.

Using two 12V batteries in series for 24 volt input it will charge two 6S A123 packs at 10Amps. each.

It cost $270 and to me is a better option.
Also includes balancers and does all battery chenmistries.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
  #22  
wattpower
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Hyperion Duo will not charge 12s1p at 12amp...its rated 180watt per port (i think)

u can check:
http://www.progressiverc.com/Charger.html
wattpower is offline  
Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 PM
  #23  
everydayflyer
Southern Pride
 
everydayflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 717
Default

I posted

Using two 12V batteries in series for 24 volt input it will charge two 6S A123 packs at 10Amps. each.

No but it will charge two each 6S which can be then connected in series.

180 watts per channel equals 360 watts total out put for $270.

It can also charge any combinations of 1-6 cells per channel . Each Channel is a seperate charger.



The difference betweenn charging a 12S at 12 amps. and two 6S at 10A will only be approx. 2 min. per charge.

I put 1800 mAh into A123s on my Hyp DUO in 13-14 minutes routinely.

Non A123 LFP cells charged at 7.5A only.

Charge rate set at 7.5A.

16:45 / 1,884 mAh
20;55 / 2,265 mAh
17:48 / 1,999 mAh
16:20 / 1,832 mAh
21:10 / 2,311 mAh

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...04&postcount=1





Charles
everydayflyer is offline  
Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
  #24  
prop-er
Launchpad McQuack
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moordrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 2
Default

http://first-products.de/Ulltrapowercharger.htm
prop-er is offline  
Old 09-05-2009, 01:08 AM
  #25  
write2dgray
ProgressiveRC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 159
Default

One year later, the HeliBug and UltraPower are still the two most powerful single channel lipo chargers on the market.

Both are fixed output (ultra charger adjustable via computer with $80 software purchase) which severely limits there usefulness, and as far as I know neither have ever been seen in the real world.

I have a feeling the rest of the charger market will catch up soon (powerwise), but has anybody actually seen either one of these creatures?

- David
write2dgray is offline  

Quick Reply: 518 watt A123 Charger


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14711 seconds with 10 queries