DX6i Binding Problems - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i Binding Problems

Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Daylight99

Default DX6i Binding Problems

Hi Friends
I have a binding problem with my new DX6i. I follow the instructions on binding and at first it seems to work perfect but when I turn everything off and then on again the binding is lost. Now here is the strange part. If I turn the Rx on first (binding plug is removed) then hold the bind switch on the Tx as I turn it on it binds without problem till I turn things off again. I go through this everytime I turn the system on.

Any ideas?

Bob Russell
Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 AM
marchino61

I found the binding instructions with the DX6i very confusing. I followed the instructions given with the receiver instead.

One obvious question - are you forgetting to remove the bind plug after binding is complete?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 AM
adhoc
(inactive)

How long are you waiting for the connection? I've noticed my DX6i sometimes (often?) takes longer than my DX6 did. I don't know if this is related to DSM2, or ModelMatch, or what. Seems like my DX6/AR6000s would connect in just a few seconds, while my DX6i and all receivers (AR6000s and newer) can take 30 seconds or even more. Sometimes when this happens I switch my transmitter off and on again; sometimes I have to move around (usually away from the receiver; I've heard too close messes up the signal)...

I wouldn't be inclined to hold the bind switch with the bind plug out of the receiver; I'd be afraid it would UN-bind...
Old 05-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Daylight99

It binds fast, it just won't hold the bind when I turn things off
Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 AM
adhoc
(inactive)

I'm wasn't talking about binding; I was talking about how long it takes the (already bound) transmitter and receiver to establish a connection on powerup...

When you say it "won't hold the bind" when you turn it off, what exactly do you mean? You turn it back on, and wait some period of time for the connection to establish, right? The little light on the receivers starts OFF, and you have no control, and after some seconds, the light on the receiver turns ON, and now you have control. How long are you waiting for that to happen?

Is it possible you are giving up too soon, expecting the connection to establish immediately? It won't always happen that fast...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Twmaster

Just remember, for binding to be complete you have to wait until the flashing light on the RX stops flashing. Then turn everything off (RX first) then remove binding plug. Then turn TX on, then RX.

Are you using any external BEC devices? Older rev Castle BEC's have an issue with Spektrum RX's and binding.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Daylight99 View Post
Hi Friends
I have a binding problem with my new DX6i. I follow the instructions on binding and at first it seems to work perfect but when I turn everything off and then on again the binding is lost. Now here is the strange part. If I turn the Rx on first (binding plug is removed) then hold the bind switch on the Tx as I turn it on it binds without problem till I turn things off again. I go through this everytime I turn the system on.

Any ideas?

Bob Russell
Remember that binding is the process where the transmitter is bound to the receiver with the use of the bind plug. Then as has been stated, remove the plug. Always turn off the receiver, usually by unplugging the battery before turning off the transmitter. This only needs to be done once.

Linking is the other process where the transmitter is turned on first, set to the correct model, and the receiver is turned on, again usually by plugging in the battery. No need to hold the bind button down at this point. The transmitter then links with the receiver and the receiver stops flashing. But, it must be the correct model

The bind button is now used as a range check button, held down as you move away from the model.

This kind of summarizes all that has been stated before.