Build Thread for Rhythm 3D Bipe - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Build Thread for Rhythm 3D Bipe

Old 05-22-2008, 10:41 PM
pstrdenver

Ahhhh, its okay with me. May help us Rhythm owners with our bird.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Okay, then, but it feels so off topic. In the first pic, I have magnified where the landing gear struts pass through the "D2 Rod Supports" just behind the wing leading edge carbon reinforcement rod . Behind that is just 3mm depron foam, so when you land the gear flexes and rips back through the foam in the wing. You can see in the second picture the holes where it did this, also magnified. The third pic is just the second picture without the magnifying glass.

I dotted the gear back to the leading edge wing support with a touch of CA. Then I took black thread and wrapped it around both of the carbon tubes in a figure 8. This secured the rods to one another, but after I soaked the thread with CA, it became concrete. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of this, so I'm hoping I'm explaining it good enuffly.

The only thing, though, is that the Rhythm doesn't have leading edge carbon supports.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	magnifying glass.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	66817   Click image for larger version

Name:	worktodo2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	66818   Click image for larger version

Name:	worktodo.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	66819  
Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 AM
pstrdenver

thanks shotgun. May she rest in peace.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:21 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I think you did good Pastor -

You should go ahead and submit it to the Wattflyer Article Section -

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180
Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 AM
pstrdenver

I am unfamiliar with that section of our forum. Is it only for reviews?

Here's the specs for my bipe:

Motor and Esc are here (2208-17 1100kv + 18amp ESC):
http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r.../2208_18a.html

GWS 8x4.3 prop

Berg Microstamp 4L RX

Futaba 4eax TX

2 cell 1320 MAH ZIPPY Lipo battery

AUW 11.4 oz

No wattmeter readings tonight though. (didn't want to wake my little ones) I'll have them to post soon.

Looks like tommorrow will be her first flight. Can't wait to see here go!

P.S. Have I mentioned how great my wife is to buy me this plane for father's day?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 PM
shotgunsmitty
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by pstrdenver View Post
thanks shotgun. May she rest in peace.
Oh, she's resting fine. She flew six times after that crash. I hope I helped. And I agree, great job on the build thread!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I am unfamiliar with that section of our forum. Is it only for reviews?
Yep. Just click 'New Review' and plug in the pics and info.

P.S. Have I mentioned how great my wife is to buy me this plane for father's day?
Oh, so its a belated 2007 Fathers Day gift.

Maybe you can talk her into another plane this June 15th -
Old 05-23-2008, 08:27 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post

Oh, so its a belated 2007 Fathers Day gift.

Maybe you can talk her into another plane this June 15th -
I LIKE YOUR WAY OF THINKING!!

(Yells across the house to wife, "hey honey, can We talk for a second?...")
Old 05-24-2008, 01:10 AM
pstrdenver

Default Whew!

Well she flew. This thing will roll on its axis 3 rolls a second. It rolls faster than my Typhoon 2 or Edge 540 BP ever thought about.

It definately can be a weather vane in the wind. Probably due to the vertical struts.

with the electronics and prop I posted earlier I am getting 61 watts of power and pulling 7.83 amps.

I think I'm going to go up to a 10 x 4.3 and see what that will do. My motor is rated for 80 watts and my battery can handle 14 amps so we'll see how she flies with the new prop.

Back to flight report...

there is some pretty major coupling when using rudder, it wants to push forward on the nose so elevator is required to fly a decent KE.

Inverted was nice, just what I expected with flat plates for wings.

Loops inside and out were tight and clean

Had good verticle power with this setup but not unlimited. Maybe with different prop this will change.

Landings required very little power and only a slight flair to get her to sit.

All and all very pleased with it's reponsiveness and sporty feel. I would recommend this plane to any experienced flyer that is looking for a light weight foamy.

Last edited by pstrdenver; 05-24-2008 at 01:13 AM. Reason: grammer and spelling
Old 05-24-2008, 01:51 AM
telemaster

Nice build thread. I don't think I'll be able to restrain myself either at only 15 bucks! Does the fuse have any plywood reinforcement in it like the older fidget biplane, and is the motor mount plywood (I would assume so)? I'm wondering if I should buy the fidget or newer rhythm, but either way I'll power it with a turnigy 28-26 or 28-30 outrunner on 3s.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 AM
pstrdenver

The only plywood is the firewall and the included motor mount, but it still seems sturdy. I'm not familiar with the fidget, but I like the rhythm.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:36 AM
telemaster

The fidget is just another (older) foam bipe from hobby-people, but it flies incredibly nice. Do you think hot glue would work to assemble the rhythm instead of CA or epoxy?
Old 05-24-2008, 05:21 AM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by telemaster View Post
The fidget is just another (older) foam bipe from hobby-people, but it flies incredibly nice. Do you think hot glue would work to assemble the rhythm instead of CA or epoxy?
On some steps yes Hot glue would be okay but I think the CA keeps the weight way down and makes for thinner bonds and cleaner construction.

I have however put planes together using nothing but hot glue like the funtana 300 for example.

By the way welcome aboard to Wattflyer. Great people here they are.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:39 PM
telemaster

Thanks. Yes, good for sure they are
Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 AM
telemaster

pstrdenver, did you need any servo extensions during your build? I'm using some hxt 5g servos and they have pretty short wires so do you think that might be a concern? Also, did you hinge the control surfaces with tape like the manual suggests?
Thanks

Last edited by telemaster; 05-25-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:28 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

pastor-

Did you experience any hard landings? I'm wondering how the LG will hold up.

Hand launch?

Landing on grass or asphalt?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
pstrdenver

Hard landings, no none so far. This thing will just float in like a cloud with the throttle slightly on.

I'm landing all my planes on grass currently. I fly at an elementary school where many people play on the playgrounds on the far west side of the property but they have to park on the far east side where I fly. So I land in the field rather than chancing hitting their cars by trying to land in the asphalt lot.

She just coasts in touches down and noses over or justa rests on top of the grass. No damage anywhere yet.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:48 PM
pstrdenver

Oh by the way, this bipe is the first plane I've been able to KE in a straight line for more than 30 feet. I realize the wing struts and flat body are what makes it so easy but I just smile everytime I turn her on her side and watch her just keep tracking with little rudder.

I even got somewhat of a inverted flat spin out of her. (By accident of course, but these days I'll take what I can get) It flies inverted just as easy as upright. Snap rolls are exaggerated and quick. Stall turns are tight and straight.

I hand launch everytime by holding the leading edge of the top wing and just giver her an underhand toss.

I could talk all day about how nice this foamy is. I really wish I could buy two more in the event this one gets hurt.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by telemaster View Post
pstrdenver, did you need any servo extensions during your build? I'm using some hxt 5g servos and they have pretty short wires so do you think that might be a concern? Also, did you hinge the control surfaces with tape like the manual suggests?
Thanks
Sorry Telemaster, for some reason your post got by me.

No I did not have to use any extensions. Th ereceiver is directly under the wing servo and it is directly under the rudder and elevator servos.

Yeah I used clear packing tape for the hinges. (Be sure to deflect when putting the tape on)
Old 05-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Stanman

I could talk all day about how nice this foamy is. I really wish I could buy two more in the event this one gets hurt.
I wonder If I could get you to talk about how you would setup a JR SX600 xmtr for this plane if you weren't too familiar with flying this type of plane?

I was wondering about your suggestions for the expo settings as well as of dual rate settings to use till I get more familiar with this plane.

I built one of these and it now looks something like the shotgunsmitty plane earlier in
your post.

I new I would go through a few of these before I got the hang of it but what better (cheaper)
plane could I use.

I got six of them so I would have some spares, (i'm not married) anyway for now I am using the
2410-09Y from jeff with 10x3.8 APC and a 3s 15c 900mah LiPo.
I am waiting on a couple turnigy 2830's from hobby city.

Any suggestions wou could offer would be greatly appreciated.:o
Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 AM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
I wonder If I could get you to talk about how you would setup a JR SX600 xmtr for this plane if you weren't too familiar with flying this type of plane?

I was wondering about your suggestions for the expo settings as well as of dual rate settings to use till I get more familiar with this plane.

I built one of these and it now looks something like the shotgunsmitty plane earlier in
your post.

I new I would go through a few of these before I got the hang of it but what better (cheaper)
plane could I use.

I got six of them so I would have some spares, (i'm not married) anyway for now I am using the
2410-09Y from jeff with 10x3.8 APC and a 3s 15c 900mah LiPo.
I am waiting on a couple turnigy 2830's from hobby city.

Any suggestions wou could offer would be greatly appreciated.:o
Stanman,

I am not familiar with your JR tx, I use a Futaba 4eax myself. I use -40% expo on ailerons and -30% expo on the elevator and -30% expo on the rudder. I am not sure the JR uses positive or negative expo settings so please check your manual. Less sensitive is probably what you want until you learn the Rhythm's habits and traits.

I do not have dual rates so again I probably can't help there.

Six kits. Wow! I really should have got at least one more. If you need to rid yourself of some inventory...

I think with your setup you'll have more than enough power. I'm only getting 60 watts out of my motor and can still prop UP a little but am very pleased with what I have so far.

Last edited by pstrdenver; 05-26-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Stanman

"-30% expo on the rudder."

That's one setting that I forgot to set was the rudder expo.
I don't have dual rates on the rudder and I forgot to set expo.

I think it's just a matter of over controlling it till I get used to it or get it setup better.

It's really quite a strong plane. It's not busted up as bad as I thought.
The top and bottom of the wing supports broke loose
but the wings are still perfect.

It will be back together by tomorrow, not quite as pretty and a little more weight but a lot stronger.
The reason I got so many is because it is a plane that can fly in a small area for my son to fly.
He can probably fly it better than me but I have to get it somewhat flyable first.
Heck it's still less than $100.00 for six!

He can get on the sim and fly a 3D plane he has never flown before and do fine
but i will crash it a couple times in the first 10-20 seconds till I get the hang of it.

These young kids have a brain that reacts so quickly and is like a new sponge the way it absorbs knowledge.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:56 AM
pstrdenver

Stanman, it sounds as if you are well on your way. I really like this plane. I have several but this one just makes me smile when I fly it for some reason. (it could be because it's my newest one, or because it flies like a $100 plane.)

Thinking about your motor and prop...you're really close to double the watts in motor than me so that little Bipe is probably really hauling mail huh? Maybe go down in prop size and pitch even if the motor can handle the one your using. This may help tame the plane some. Or...fly at half throttle. (thats probably the easier of the two.)

Speed is not necessarily your friend with flat foamies in my humble opinion.

Let us know how it goes and WELCOME to Wattflyer.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:05 AM
pstrdenver

Back to flight report...

there is some pretty major coupling when using rudder, it wants to push forward on the nose so elevator is required to fly a decent KE.
I posted this after my initial flights but as seen in my later posts I have changed my mind. I was simply using too much rudder to KE this plane, thus causing the push. It was also slightly windy that day too.

Flying now in no wind with a different approach, this is extremely easy to KE. little to no elevator is required if flying into the breeze.

Does anybody have experience to offer concerning this jewel of a plane?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
aero_k

Pastor, good build log. Mines done, but I still have to add my electronics. Can you maybe take a few pictures of where you put your ESC and Rx? The little curved piece of foam just under the motor at the nose of the plane came loose on mine too. I'm going to pull it off anyway so I can get at things inside a little easier.

p.s. when taking close-up pictures, try using the "macro" setting on the camera, which is the little flower symbol. It will focus better on close-up shots and they wont be blurry.

Quick Reply: Build Thread for Rhythm 3D Bipe

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09907 seconds with 14 queries