Absolute beginner to R/C Flying! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Absolute beginner to R/C Flying!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 AM
JPilkinton

Default Absolute beginner to R/C Flying!

As the title says, I am new to this r/c flying. I used to be into R/C cars many moons ago. I built a plane out of balsa wood powered by a Cox .049 and a 2 channel remote. Needless to say, it NEVER left the ground. But I was 11 years old back then. I have always loved to have flown a R/C plane, but didn't know anything about how to do it. Now, 27 years later, I purchased my two first planes. They are both electric and RTF.
One is a two channel(el-cheapo) Air Earl Lear Jet. I figured I would start with this plane to give me some characteristics on flying planes. My second plane is the Art-Tech P-51D Mustang. When I first saw this plane, it was like love at first sight. Now this thing is a 4 channel and I haven't even completed the two channels yet. I also bought a 4 channel TX/RX that has a simulation port and a cable with software. My plan is to master the simulator first, then try the 2 channel plane and then try the mustang. I promise you I will be a nervous wreck on the first maiden of either plane. Both planes are still sealed in their boxes. I've been itching to take the lear jet out for a spin(will probably happen), but the weather here in Arkansas is terrible. It's only nice when I have to work, and on the weekends, it's cold and raining.
I have purchased an e-book on how to fly which I enjoy reading always.
And now I have stumbled onto this forum that has newbies(like myself) and veterans on flight. There is alot of good stuff here.
I was thinking about getting the Parkzone p-51 mustang, but I love the 4-bladed prop along with the landing gear of the Art-Tech one.
I have been playing around with FMS lately, but to prepare me for the best(or worst), I am waiting on my controller.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Lazy Bee
I'd rather be flying!

CONGRATS JP! Sincerely wish you the best with all your endeavors. The time on the sims will be a great investment. Trust me, I taught myself to fly about 11 years ago (before sims as far as I know) w/ a Cox Lazy Bee, called a Gooney Bird, purchases at Sam's. Had an .049, no throttle, & a 2 channel radio with elevator left stick & rudder right stick the best I can remember, & a range of only about 70 yards. What I really remember is that the first 2 flights I was in the air for no more than 10 seconds each! I learned really quick that a plane doesn't steer like a car!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:11 AM
JPilkinton

Thanks LB!
I have been playing flight simulators on pc and consoles since I was 14. That is my all-time favorite type of game. So if I crash, it won't cost me a dime! I just can't wait to fly either plane. I am also looking into getting a wireless camera to take video of the flight, but that will be later down the road. I have learned quite a few tricks on brushed motors today that I have never heard of in my earlier years.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Lazy Bee
I'd rather be flying!

The RC sim will be a wonderful asset. Bust it, hit the button, & fly again! If possible, get someone to help you with those first real flights. As valuable as the sim is, the real thing is just different.

I understand the nervous thing. When I was first starting out flying, my wife would watch me, shaking & sweating, & ask how that could possibly be relaxing!:p

Not trying to sound smart, but the best tip you'll find on brushed motors is that once you try a brushless, you won't want another brushed one!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:22 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi JP and Welcome to Wattflyers, A great bunch of people here, and smart too, Build yourself a SLOW STICK plane to learn with, its a 3 channel Trainer, they fly slow, and it will give you time to think as your are learning,

You can relax, with this plane, as it almost flys its self, here is a scratch build one or you can purchase a kit , here you go, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

Last edited by CHELLIE; 03-10-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 AM
AeroChamp

Default I am also begineer to this hobby

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi JP and Welcome to Wattflyers, A great bunch of people here, and smart too, Build yourself a SLOW STICK plane to learn with, its a 3 channel Trainer, they fly slow, and it will give you time to think as your are learning,

You can relax, with this plane, as it almost flys its self, here is a scratch build to one or you can purchase a kit , here you go, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392
Hi guys I am also very new to this hobby read articles in the forums and are very useful. I am very impressed with the knowldge of electrics of u guys?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AeroChamp View Post
Hi guys I am also very new to this hobby read articles in the forums and are very useful. I am very impressed with the knowldge of electrics of u guys?
Hi AeroChamp All this E Power stuff was Greek to me at first to, but ask questions, read, and in 6 months, you will have it down, its can be a little difficult at first, as i found out, but stick with it, heck it took me 6 months to learn to hit a golf ball half way decent at first, I could not hit a golf ball past 90 yards with a 5 iron Now i can hit 90 yards with a 9 iron , it took me time to learn, Take care, Chellie
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
AeroChamp

Default Thanks chille,

Thanks chille,
I saw u r post and u r planes are avery nice one day i coukld build it but can u guide me for something like easystar glider or cessena trainer plans
I dont want to hijack this thread so please quote me the link.

sorry JPilkinton, i am also new buddy like u and tooo excited on seeing some like minded like me.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Rahulmsharma

Default Hi

Hi I am also from India, chille has some very gud plans and she had already helped me building my slowstick. she had good knowlegde of elctrics tooo. may be she had some easy glider plans .
Old 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum, great info from wonderful people out there..there are loads of great trainers...

Will mention the P51 you have is abit advanced for the start, hold it for later, I would like to see you go with the Slo stick (I went w/Super Cub) or other slow flyer, RTF tops is the Super Cub, can't give that one enough praise as maidened myself with great success, the Easy Star or other gliders are very nice, I'm currently checking the Wild Hawk as carbon copy of the Easy Star but only $69, has loads of praises on other threads, will give it personal review when mine arrives..its a great fun trip, take your time, do the practice taxing prior to any launch, wait for a below 5 MPH day, usually Early AM and Before Dusk will be the favorable times, your liable to thump in the first attempts but don't worry, you'll quickly catch on, important thing is not to duplicate the errors, pulse those controls at the start, do the necessary trims after landing as your busy enough on the throttle and stick, keep the wings and nose level, gets easier each try, and use an area at least soccer field size free of nearby trees...

My maiden Super Cub flight went like this, sissy tossed it on hand launch and it came down, no damage, authority throw next time and off and running but nosed up too high and wing dip, down again, next full throttle launch straight level throw, kept the nose down, pulsed the controls and was in buisness, she went out-reduced throttle about 2/3rds did some big lazy circles gaining altitude, want over two tree top levels for recovery, cut the power as it came down close to the groud wanted to nose lift (note near ground level air is different, usually will need slight downsticks or trim here), down trim slightly and landed abit uneven but was great..flights keep getting better, thuds now and then simple Tape fixes and managed over 200 increadible flights, don't let it venture out too far for good visuals, remember altitude is your friend...

Wish you only the BEST

Wild Hawk $69
http://www.nitroplanes.com/rtfwiha54el3.html

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B, ailerons
Parkzone Warbird, Spits flys the Best in this series
Stryker C, Varoooom, 82 MPH

Last edited by phillipmorris; 03-10-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 PM
zirconx
RC Flyer

JPilkinton, I'm interested in this e-book you mentioned, where did you get it and was it helpful?

I've been looking for something to print out and give to people who are complete newbies. Like what does each transmitter stick do, how to take off without stalling, etc.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Hey JP welcome!
OH man, I hear ya with that Mustang.......the warbirds are always calling me!
BUT, I read and read all the posts from greats like Chellie and Jasmine, Steve Cooper etc. regarding the right plane for me to start off with. I too have an electric car backround so I had some knowledge of the powertrain, but the airframe assy and flight theory were absolutely foreign to me. I bought a Slow Stick. What pushed me over the top for it was that I knew I would be continuing on with other planes (warbirds some day!!) so purchasing the radio equip would be good and useable for my next plane. The Super Cub was very very tempting BUT I would have to start over (radio assy) when it came time to move up to a different plane, so I went with the SS and bought a Hitec Laser4 from a local flyer and use a pair of micro servos from Jeff @ Heads up RC.
A good testimony is that I have less than 25 flights on my SS since Jan. and am CONFIDENT in the plane enough to be flying AV (ariel video) with huge success! And it's not cause I can fly it that well:p truly.

You'll love how easy it is to adjust contols (CG too far forward? Slide the wing up. Mount the servos under the wing or back near the tail? Your choice. Brushless? Speed 400? Geared drive or direct? Heck, Steve Bub has one built with ailerons in the orig wing
Not many other planes are so versatile and so forgiving to fly....I made the right choice for me

good luck
Old 03-11-2008, 05:14 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Guys Here is a nice Build , it looks like a Cessna, and a lot of people here have made it , and really enjoy it, it is designed by WaterDog over at RCG, I make sure to give credit where credit is Due Here you go, Have fun, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ight=stc+plane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=449310

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=354237%20STC

Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Hey JP welcome!
BUT, I read and read all the posts from greats like Chellie and Jasmine, Steve Cooper etc. regarding the right plane for me to start off with. I too have an electric car backround so I had some knowledge of the powertrain, but the airframe assy and flight theory were absolutely foreign to me. I bought a Slow Stick. What pushed me over the top for it was that I knew I would be continuing on with other planes (warbirds some day!!) so purchasing the radio equip would be good and useable for my next plane. The Super Cub was very very tempting BUT I would have to start over (radio assy) when it came time to move up to a different plane, so I went with the SS and bought a Hitec Laser4 from a local flyer and use a pair of micro servos from Jeff @ Heads up RC.
A good testimony is that I have less than 25 flights on my SS since Jan. and am CONFIDENT in the plane enough to be flying AV (ariel video) with huge success! And it's not cause I can fly it that well:p truly.

You'll love how easy it is to adjust contols (CG too far forward? Slide the wing up. Mount the servos under the wing or back near the tail? Your choice. Brushless? Speed 400? Geared drive or direct? Heck, Steve Bub has one built with ailerons in the orig wing
Not many other planes are so versatile and so forgiving to fly....I made the right choice for me

good luck
Hi Wrench We Fly at the Chino Fair grounds on Sat and Sunday, on the corner parking lot at Central and Edison, Alpea aka Al , Flys there too, as well as ministeve, Wattflyer members, hope to meet you one of these days there, the Die Hards are there at day break I get there at about 9 to 10 am Take care, Chellie
Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 AM
JPilkinton

You can relax, with this plane, as it almost flys its self, here is a scratch build one or you can purchase a kit , here you go, Take care, Chellie
I will do that. I bought a 4 channel TX/RX that has the tiny servos. I am purchasing a motor and esc from Jeff right now. I was also thinking about modifying(later down the road) my lear jet with this 4 channel controller.
But I want to build your slow stick first.
I'm sure we will be talking again real soon!
JP
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 AM
JPilkinton

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Hey JP welcome!

good luck
I agree! I love warbirds. The part of arial video I want to accomplish is to be able to fly the plane using the video only. That will take some time I know. But one day I want to accomplish this. I did manage to take both planes out of the box and hook everything up and test each servo and the motors. I'M ITCHING ALL OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JP
Old 03-11-2008, 06:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JPilkinton View Post
I agree! I love warbirds. The part of arial video I want to accomplish is to be able to fly the plane using the video only. That will take some time I know. But one day I want to accomplish this. I did manage to take both planes out of the box and hook everything up and test each servo and the motors. I'M ITCHING ALL OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JP
Hi I love war birds too, before you get a nice war Bird, get one of these flat profile foam planes, it has ailerons, is fast and is a great warbird trainer, when your ready, look at the second video, the first one we forgot to turn up the Zoom Take Care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=30651&page=3
Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 AM
JPilkinton

Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
JPilkinton, I'm interested in this e-book you mentioned, where did you get it and was it helpful?

I've been looking for something to print out and give to people who are complete newbies. Like what does each transmitter stick do, how to take off without stalling, etc.
Here it is:
http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/l...c-ebook-2.html

It was like $10, but it gives me some good information on what each part of the plane does and such. It was a good read.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 PM
JPilkinton

Just ordered the motor/esc, LiPo battery, and a battery tester.
Believe it or not, the LiPo battery Jeff suggested, is the same battery that my P-51D Mustang uses! So I can use my mustang's battery with my slow stick too and vise versa!
As for the prop, I will try using one of the extra 4 bladed props that came with my mustang. If that don't work as planned, I'll order some from Jeff.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
JPilkinton

OK. Just got my simulator cable in today. Did some flying with FMS. Seemed pretty easy. I did notice that I don't use the Aileron when making turns. I only use rudder and elevator. Is this correct? If so, this isn't as hard as I thought it would be. This is just like the pc flight sims I have.
I'm still not use to using both hands in the matter. Sometimes when I move my right hand, my left hand wants to move too!
This will just take practice.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
zirconx
RC Flyer

OK. Just got my simulator cable in today. Did some flying with FMS. Seemed pretty easy. I did notice that I don't use the Aileron when making turns. I only use rudder and elevator. Is this correct? If so, this isn't as hard as I thought it would be. This is just like the pc flight sims I have.
I'm still not use to using both hands in the matter. Sometimes when I move my right hand, my left hand wants to move too!
This will just take practice.
You should be controlling the aircraft with the right stick. The x axis of the right stick will control the ailerons, if the plane has them, or the rudder if it does not.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 AM
JPilkinton

Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
You should be controlling the aircraft with the right stick. The x axis of the right stick will control the ailerons, if the plane has them, or the rudder if it does not.
Ohhhh, ok. Here is my setup:
Left Stick(Up and Down)= Throttle
Left Stick(Left and Right)= Aileron
Right Stick(Up and Down)= Elevator
Right Stick(Left and Right)= Rudder

So I need to switch the Aileron and Rudder controls?

Thanks for your quick response.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 AM
JPilkinton

Ohhhh, ok. Here is my setup:
Left Stick(Up and Down)= Throttle
Left Stick(Left and Right)= Aileron
Right Stick(Up and Down)= Elevator
Right Stick(Left and Right)= Rudder

So I need to switch the Aileron and Rudder controls?

Thanks for your quick response.
OK, just switched Aileron and Rudder and your right. I can control the plane with the right stick. Pretty good actually. It is alot easier to make turns. Using elevators while using ailerons when turning to keep the nose up is just like the flight sims I play around with.

Next question:
When do your use rudders? Just for steering on the ground? I tried using the rudders with the ailerons when turning and she was a little crazy turning. If I can get away without using rudders except for turning on land, that would be alot easier.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:48 PM
zirconx
RC Flyer

OK, just switched Aileron and Rudder and your right. I can control the plane with the right stick. Pretty good actually. It is alot easier to make turns. Using elevators while using ailerons when turning to keep the nose up is just like the flight sims I play around with.

Next question:
When do your use rudders? Just for steering on the ground? I tried using the rudders with the ailerons when turning and she was a little crazy turning. If I can get away without using rudders except for turning on land, that would be alot easier.
I pretty much only use it on the ground, or when doing stunts that require it (like a hammer head). I've read that some planes turn better with a little rudder input, but I haven't seen the need for it on all the planes I've tried on the sim or in real life.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Hi Wrench We Fly at the Chino Fair grounds on Sat and Sunday, on the corner parking lot at Central and Edison, Alpea aka Al , Flys there too, as well as ministeve, Wattflyer members, hope to meet you one of these days there, the Die Hards are there at day break I get there at about 9 to 10 am Take care, Chellie
Hey! Now we're talkin! I live a couple miles north of there.......I never realized you folks were so close to me!
I too like to do the early morning thing, usually out of nesessity though to duck the breezes that normally show up later. The Slow Stick flys soooo much easier (good for me) when mother wind isn't awake yet, even with brushless and lipo power it just seems a lot of work.

Jeez, the weather man was mouthing something regarding rain this weekend......hope not, I would truly like to meet up you and the others who are around, so cool

best to all,
Ray

Quick Reply: Absolute beginner to R/C Flying!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09652 seconds with 8 queries