The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
Hey, Don...I have that A-10, along with another one of those fan/motor combos, finally packed up for you. Should be out in the morning. Have fun.
AWESOME!!!

Don
Old 05-09-2008, 01:38 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Hey, if you don't end up having a use for those fans and motors I sent you, I just found a use for them...Nitroplanes has the SU47, foam alone, for $89...I'd do that, for sure! But if you have a use for them, use em in good health, I'm no Indian Giver!
Old 05-09-2008, 05:09 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Hey, if you don't end up having a use for those fans and motors I sent you, I just found a use for them...Nitroplanes has the SU47, foam alone, for $89...I'd do that, for sure! But if you have a use for them, use em in good health, I'm no Indian Giver!
I still have them. If you have a use for them I can ship them back no problem

Don
Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I think the most important thing is to fit one of your motors to the FIY fan and get some performance figures and such, just so you know that combo works well, and you can offer it to FIY owners looking for a performance boost...

I have not actually ordered a replacement SU47 foam only body yet, not sure if it is actually in stock, so I have no desperate need. I have the FIY F22 flying right now anyway...
Old 05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

And, basically, foamy jets coming out of my nostrils!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Does it come pre-painted?
It does
Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
VF84sluggo
Non-Communist

Originally Posted by hyperdynelabs View Post
Don, I just flew my HL F-18 with the stock fan and your wicked edf motor. Easy conversion, love the motor.

On 3s, the plane flies a bit better than stock. I like how it flies.

On 4s, the thing turns into a beast. I get about a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio and it scorches the sky now. I am guessing mid 90mph from eyeballing it, but will doppler it here soon.

Your motor upgrade made a "eh ok" edf into a real eyebrow raiser!
My HL F-18 arrives soon. Which motor are you using? Did it bolt right up, or were mods needed? Any adapters needed?

Also, I thought I saw something about a GWS fan being better than stock. Then I read something about filling in the hub. Do I need to do something about the stock fan, too?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:33 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo View Post
My HL F-18 arrives soon. Which motor are you using? Did it bolt right up, or were mods needed? Any adapters needed?
The Wicked EDF motors will fit into the stock housing but you need to remove the splines molded inthe housing so the standoff adapter fits in. Also you want to order it with the "Alfa" rotor plug installed and the EDO spacer. Then the stock rotor will press right onto the "Alfa plug". The EDO spacer prevents it from pressing on too far.

Don

Last edited by The Don; 05-12-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:27 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Is the stock fan actually the exact same as the EDO fan, or just the same size/specs? Are you finding that the EDO fan won't hold up under that much power?

What about a Wattage fan instead of the SF ... was thinking you said you got slightly better results with the Wattage fan when running tests for the Executive Jet. Not to mention a little better quality/stronger feel to the Wattage than the SF.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Man did I have a serious brain failure. I read HL F-18 as HP F-16.
Sorry. I have fixed my post!

Don
Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Dizz

Default Advice please

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Generally that would be true but most ESC companies never expected outrunner to run at such a high RPM when they made those manuals. What I have found is the max RPM and lowest amp draw is at "low". If you go higher timing, the RPMs stay the same, and amps go up, and it may stutter at high RPM depending on the ESC.

Don
Hi Don
I'm a bit confused re ESC timings for the wicked and wicked extreme: the instructions with my HiModel ESC refer to soft and hard. "Soft" being for 2,4 and 6 pole in-runners and "Hard" being for 6 pole or more plus out-runners. Which setting would equate to low?

I want to get it right because, mindful of the high amps warning, I smoked the first extreme I got from you in about 10 seconds last week on a brand new 25C 2200mAh 4S pack using on the soft timing - that will teach me to pay more attention to the Watt meter, but the fantastic thrust and awesome noise rather distracted me . The subsequent investigation estimated between 825 and 850W!!!! Completely my fault, I have read the posts re good 25C packs producing the watts, so I now have first-hand experience and will take it easy next time. The replacement motor and a standard wicked arrived the other day and I would like to install them this weekend.
Kind regards

Pete
Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

They should be set to soft. 825W?!! Good gracious! What fan were you running the motor on? That's some serious wattage.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
They should be set to soft. 825W?!! Good gracious! What fan were you running the motor on? That's some serious wattage.
That is way too many watts what fan did you have it in? You were not holding it in your hand by chance and squeezing the shround? Soft timing soundslike the correct timing. The timing is not causing the 825 watts unless the motor was stuttering when running.

Don
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Dizz

Thanks PerlAddict. Soft it is

It is the Phase 3 /XF fan.

Only an estimate/best guess because I didn't have a Watt meter on it. Am basing that figure on 14.5v (it is a brand new 25C continuous / 30C burst 4S pack fresh off charge) and 57 A (previously been measured at 55A in another post without failing, so must have been over 55A; plus the ESC is rated to 60A and did'nt shut down, but did get extremely hot). The whole motor got so hot that the heat conducted back up the motor wires melted the soldered connection to the power leads.
At the end of the day, due to my own fault, the motor burnt-out big style in just over 10 seconds, so I well exceeded anything people have seen before. I have learnt from my error though and it won't happen again - I'll have the meter in the loop this weekend and work up from smaller 3S packs

Pete
Old 05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Dizz

Don,
It was installed in the model and the impeller was completely free to turn .................thought I had set fire to it there was so much smoke still coming out the exhaust duct after I shut down and disconnected everything.
The motor wasn't stuttering, far from it!

Pete
Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Something just does not seem right. Have any photos you can post? What was your order number?

Don
Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Dizz

Hi Don
I have followed the increase in power with better packs described on here and just put it down to the brand new battery exceeding limits and my incompetance in not using a meter! It was fitted in my OD SR177 which is actually a quite bit further on than in the photo, sorry haven't got a more recent photo nor of the motor: intake area is 105% FSA and efflux at 90% FSA. Anyway, oder no was 080430-024607-4688 on 29 April; thanks for your interest.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SARO 177 - 24 - Assembled 2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	66111  
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Was that the first time you ran that rotor on 4S in that housing? The blades do stretch and can scrub the walls and the amps go way up as the tips are rubbing the housing. What I do is when I have a new rotor, I slowly power it up and when it starts to scrub, I let it scrub a few seconds then power down. Then use an Xacto to scrape off the plastic that is left behind. Then do that a few more time adding more and more power so that by the time you are done, the tips do not scrub the housing under full power.

Don
Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Dizz

It was the first time Don. No witness marks inside the shroud or on the blade tips, but I will follow that advice this time around thanks and start with a 3S before moving up to the 4S.
Pete
Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

You have me officially baffled

Send you a PM on a replacement.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:55 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Any chance that ESC couldn't actually handle the load it was getting, got too hot, melted the solder itself, and shorted the motor?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Default Another Wicked 4800 powered jet

Well I ended up doing what I should have Don in the first place. Just installed a decent Wicked 4800 motor in this FW250 scratchbuild. A few days ago the jet was flying really well with a GWS 4600kv in an EDF64, when on the 4th flight, the fan exploded on landing approach after the throttle was down under half. Motor tore clean out of the fan housing. I'm going to attribute the major problem to be that the motor shaft had previously been bent and straightened. The GWS motors slow down as if the brake is on, since the pole attraction is really strong, and probably had something to do with the scattering also, as there was probably a bad harmonic in there due to shaft straightness/rotor balance being less than perfect. I'm guessing that there must have been a voltage drop when the fan locked up, which caused control loss and nose in. Was as if the elevator servo went full down.

This jet flys so well I had to repair it, although it was a big bummer. I'm going to do something different with the paint scheme, after all this hassle. Right now I just touched up the paint, for a base, and will repaint. This time I took the effort to experiment with tape, and found the precise light area on the rotor. Scuffed the area and added thin layers to get good balance. These GWS rotors are not always balanced well out of the factory.

Just flew today with the Wicked 4800, and while its not really noticeably faster than with the GWS 4600 motor on 3s, its a better motor. I'm through using 370 inrunners with EDFs, as the shafts are just too weak. These Don motors sound really nice too.

Here's the plane pre-crash, and after repair. It's only touched up for now, and I'm going to do something a little more interesting with the camo scheme this time.

Edit: Last 2 pics. Added brown and green camo motting. Had to do something different after the repairs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FW_250_26.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	66362   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW_250_29.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	66363   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW_250_30.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	66374   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW_250_31.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	66375  

Last edited by Bill G; 05-18-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Get a better fan than the GWS, change out your ESC to a 40a, and go 4s, and THEN you will see the full Wicked potential...
Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Get a better fan than the GWS, change out your ESC to a 40a, and go 4s, and THEN you will see the full Wicked potential...
I realize that. I really should have got a better replacement, although it was the old, "what I had in the drawer" thing, and I have no patience. I know better than to put this jet on 4s with the GWS fan, although I'd like to.
Not really anxious to have another fan explode, and have to cut into this jet again.

Edit: You just got me thinking Curtis. I bet there would be a market for direct replacement GWS rotors, with better balance and strength. There are so many people out there that have the fans in use. Probably can use a WPF/Kyosho rotor which I think will handle more, although I believe they may need resized a bit, and then a pain to balance.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I realize that. I really should have got a better replacement, .
I really think that if you are pushing that many 100's of watts through a fan, you should get nothing but a high quality, all carbon fiber shroud/fan.

Pieces of plastic being flung around at 50,000rpm are not something I'd care to be in the way of!

Quick Reply: The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10656 seconds with 16 queries