The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:06 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well I will tell you that the Alfa retro fit was annoying when I did mine. And basically the Wicked with 4S and alfa 5 blade verse XF fan 4S Wicked Extreme are the same watts and you get the same top speed. So thats is why I am using the stock fan and going that way and saving the $$$.

Why not try to use a sharp razor and cut the section off over the EDF unit? I actually cut my lower piece into three sections, the front and back were glued real good, and the middle I tack glued so I could take it take it off and on if needed by cutting the glue joints.

Don
I would do that, but I've got so many planes to put together right now that I hate to start taking the finished ones back apart before I even fly them. That, and I don't have a spare 40A speed controller at the moment and don't want to spend money for any more right now.

I'll at least get a maiden flight in on the stock system before I switch over. That way I can appreciate it more.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Don -- I just purchased a new RPM sensor for my Eagle Tree Systems Data Logger...

In order to set this RPM sensor up properly, I need to know how many magnets your Wicked EDF Extreme Motor has in the bell.

Can you please share this information with me? :o
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Set it to 6 poles.

Don
Old 02-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

WOW! Only 6 poles?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Its the only way to get the high RPMS and not out run the ESCs.

Don
Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Tested the stock EDF unit in the EDO F-15, same fan as the Hobby Lobby ARF and RTF F-18 they sell.

EDO Stock 64mm fan 5 bladed fan:
3S lipo, Wicked EDF motor, 41,000 rpm, 35 amps, 360 watts

That means a nice power boost over stock setup! The other good thing is the stock rotor adapter is the same diameter as an Alfa rotor plug. I just used one of my Alfa rotor plugs and pressed the rotor on to it. It was a firm press fit. Another interesting thing to note is the 5 bladed rotor is the exact diameter of a GWS EDF64, and the blade shape is even the same but the blade and hub are thicker and they do not distort. When I get more 4000KV motors in stock I will test on 4S. But a good upgrade for these kits may be to simply use a GWS rotor.

Don
Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Everyone I bought a wicked motor from Don, and its a great little motor, with a 1800mah 4 cell 20c lipo, 40 amp ESC and 4.7 x 4.2 apc speed prop, It Scares the Heck out of me Its Screams Bloody Murder, now I just need to Master getting the Mini Bee Wing into the air, I got one flight in with the 4 cell lipos, and speed prop, and it was fast, even at 1/3 throttle, at full throttle, I think I will make it into the 100 mph club I just need to get used to the less thrust with a speed prop to launch it, with a thin apc prop, its no problem, I am just Wondering, what size Ducted fan, would I need, for a mini bee wing or a Lynxs ? Keep up the good work Don, Chellie

Lets see 14.8v x 3000kv = approx 44,400 rpm No Wonder it Scares The Heck out of Me

Last edited by CHELLIE; 02-13-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:50 AM
rcproptester
We the People...

Don, would one of these motors fit into a 45mm fan unit? I have a Kyosho illusion df45 that I need to fix after a crash, and was thinking of upgrading the motor and fan when I do.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

I would think these are way too big for that tiny fan.

Don
Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 AM
rcproptester
We the People...

Dang. I have heard that some guys were doing a conversion with a LSJS motor and a Haoye or wemo micro fan.
Would one of these fit in a Wemo micro fan?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Did they have to use the standoff adapter to make it fit? I dont have either one of those fans to measure. The smallest fan I have mounted in is a GWS EDF55 and a Hyperflow fan.

Don
Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
TOMSAID

Must say I am most impressed with Dons service , I ordered a wicked extreme Friday received it Tuesday, thats faster than I would expect here in the UK. Quick reading on 3s for phase 3 f16 on xf fan was 32 amps 345 watts. Will get 4s set up at the weekend, in the mean time will see how it goes on 3s.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
aethertek

Would one of these fit in a Wemo micro fan?
The microfan shroud is .98" ID X .937 L,
larger than the current adapter.
A custom adapter could be machined to fill the motor mount or use the existing adapter & take a chance on breaking the micros shroud mount(thin plastic& brittle) mine cracked at the screw holes & a guide vane separated from the shroud. This was just testing a himaxx 5300 in it. A really good fan but the shroud needs some work... hmmm my next project maybe.
Don maybe a good choice for your 4000?

Kevin~

Last edited by aethertek; 02-13-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Pinecone

How about for a GWS 75 in an A-4?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
How about for a GWS 75 in an A-4?
I have one on order will post data as soon as I can.

Don
Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Everyone I bought a wicked motor from Don, and its a great little motor, with a 1800mah 4 cell 20c lipo, 40 amp ESC and 4.7 x 4.2 apc speed prop, It Scares the Heck out of me Its Screams Bloody Murder, now I just need to Master getting the Mini Bee Wing into the air, I got one flight in with the 4 cell lipos, and speed prop, and it was fast, even at 1/3 throttle, at full throttle, I think I will make it into the 100 mph club I just need to get used to the less thrust with a speed prop to launch it, with a thin apc prop, its no problem, I am just Wondering, what size Ducted fan, would I need, for a mini bee wing or a Lynxs ? Keep up the good work Don, Chellie

Lets see 14.8v x 3000kv = approx 44,400 rpm No Wonder it Scares The Heck out of Me
Now we need to get you building EDFs.
Admittedly not as efficient as pushers, but its the cool factor that's worth it.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by hyperdynelabs View Post
I can say the wicked extreme motor on 4s with an xf fan is absolutely awesome! My HP F-16 looks like a rocket, 100+ mph is cake with Don's setup.
Where did you mount your XF fan? Is it in the stock location? Or did you move it back? Any balancing issues on 4S?

Don
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Now we need to get you building EDFs.
Admittedly not as efficient as pushers, but its the cool factor that's worth it.

Hi Bill I like the EDFs one reason is because the fan is not out in the open, much much safer, So i am following this thread to learn of a good power system, that will push a lynx or similar plane 100mph or more, I really like the Dons motors, they have a lot of power to them, for the money, they are hard to beat, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hyperdynelabs View Post
I can say the wicked extreme motor on 4s with an xf fan is absolutely awesome! My HP F-16 looks like a rocket, 100+ mph is cake with Don's setup.
And I think I may have found what I was looking for Chellie
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 AM
rcproptester
We the People...

Originally Posted by aethertek View Post
The microfan shroud is .98" ID X .937 L,
larger than the current adapter.
A custom adapter could be machined to fill the motor mount or use the existing adapter & take a chance on breaking the micros shroud mount(thin plastic& brittle) mine cracked at the screw holes & a guide vane separated from the shroud. This was just testing a himaxx 5300 in it. A really good fan but the shroud needs some work... hmmm my next project maybe.
Don maybe a good choice for your 4000?

Kevin~
Thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 01:32 AM
hyperdynelabs

I mounted the fan 3" back from the lip inside the duct. I know the instructions say 2.5" max, but with the 4s battery if you go 3" back then it will balance fine.

I have my 4s loong max battery mounted 1/4" from the back of the cockpit with an AR6200 mounted up in front. Balance point should be around 180-185mm from TE of wing (within 160-190mm spec). No extra weights needed to balance it.

Plus you can run 3s by just mounting a 3s batt a tad forward.

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Where did you mount your XF fan? Is it in the stock location? Or did you move it back? Any balancing issues on 4S?

Don
Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 PM
TOMSAID

What size battery are you using I have noticed on 3s that the increase in weight from a 1700 to a 2200 makes quite difference when launching even though its only 35 grammes. Most of the 4s 2200 available here are another extra 60 grammesabout 240-250 grammes for a 2200 4s, does the extra thrust from the wicked extreme make up for this extra weight, and how does it effect landing at present it can float in against a light wind.

Last edited by TOMSAID; 02-14-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 AM
hyperdynelabs

Using a 4s batt the wicked extreme will get you near 1:1 thrust-weight ratio, which is a great improvement over stock. The plane still floats in fine, I can still do a high alpha on landing. The plane is still balanced, and with 4s it doesnt alter flight characteristics from what I have seen.

If you are going to a heavier battery and not rebalancing your CG, I can see a difference in launching. On 3s and a nose heavy bird, expect launching to be a bit different. Use lots of up trim.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Tom,

The power increase form 3S to 4S is HUGE. It will fly the extra weight with no problem. 3S on the Wicked Extreme is similar to the stock setup as the KVs are close. The real difference comes on 4S. The stock motor will burn up after a few flights on 4S, the Wicked Extreme will not. By the way, glad to see the motor got to you so quickly!!!

Don
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
TOMSAID

I saw that on the box the motor was delivered in it says use low timing only, earlier in this thred you have said the motor is 6 pole. My escape information says 2 pole low 6 pole middle setting, is it better to stay with low timing or use the middle setting, also what is the frequency setting of the motor or is this not critical.

Quick Reply: The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10093 seconds with 11 queries