Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included) - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included)

Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Guy,

If I were you, I would not want to limit myself to flying only those smaller models. What would be the benefit to you to join the PPP then vs. open membership? Maybe you can help me understand?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Right now, I spend $0.00 per airplane on "insurance". I am 0% covered.

I could spend $30 on "insurance" to cover 7 airplanes -- a cost of $4.29 per airplane. I would be 70% covered, as I would continue to fly the other 3 "uninsured" aircraft.

I could spend $60 on "insurance" to cover 10 airplanes -- a cost of $6.00 per airplane. Another way to look at it would be $4.29 per airplane for the first 7 airplanes, and $10.00 per airplane for the final 3 airplanes. I would be 100% covered.

To me, it makes more financial sense to be 70% covered, if anything at all.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:59 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post

I could spend $30 on "insurance" to cover 7 airplanes -- a cost of $4.29 per airplane. I would be 70% covered, as I would continue to fly the other 3 "uninsured" aircraft.

I could spend $60 on "insurance" to cover 10 airplanes -- a cost of $6.00 per airplane. Another way to look at it would be $4.29 per airplane for the first 7 airplanes, and $10.00 per airplane for the final 3 airplanes. I would be 100% covered.

Or you could look at it that you can spend $0.16 per day for a full membership and be completely covered.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Yeah, that thought process hasn't hooked me for the last 3.5 years... :o

Tom -- you've seen where I fly, what I fly, and how I fly. Do you REALLY think I need AMA insurance for any of the aircraft I fly?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 AM
denial15
Swede

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I hope so! May 4 is my bday. last day of SEFF

Sweet. Same here. What time? LOL
Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Do you feel comfortable at being 70% covered?

Frank
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Sweet. Same here. What time? LOL
I dunno... I was asleep when it happened I think! Til that guy smacked me on the hind end! Then I was wide awake!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Yeah, that thought process hasn't hooked me for the last 3.5 years... :o

Tom -- you've seen where I fly, what I fly, and how I fly. Do you REALLY think I need AMA insurance for any of the aircraft I fly?
Probably not untill one flys off and hits a car on the highway or goes through a convenience store window. Then I assume your homeoner's insurance is going to cover it anyway as long as you own a home. I know we can say that rarely or never happens, but it's called an accident and it can happen to anyone at any time. Otherwise we wouldn't need any type of insurance.

I've tried my best to stay out of this thread but I really don't see the point in arguing over it. It's pretty apparent most people have already made up their mind whether they do or don't want to be an AMA member. It's their choice. I'm a member because I had to be to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year. Other than that, I had already checked my homeowner's insurance and I am covered anyway (which is the primary coverage to begin with provided you have homeowner's insurance). I do believe the AMA does a lot to promote our hobby but they like any other orginization aren't perfect either.

This is a subject that has been debated for years with no resolve and even though Wattflyer Members are very polite and respectful of each other (most of the time) there is no reason to believe we are going to come to a consensous here either.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:29 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
This is a subject that has been debated for years with no resolve and even though Wattflyer Members are very polite and respectful of each other (most of the time) there is no reason to believe we are going to come to a consensous here either.

AMEN BROTHER!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Frank -- please see my list of questions, on page one of this thread.

One of my questions is, "I have seven (7) airplanes which meet the requirements (fly at less than 60 mph, and weigh less than 2 pounds) -- but I have three (3) airplanes which do not (one is too fast [RTF Parkzone Stryker], and two are too heavy [Sureflite P-51, and GWS P-38]). Does that exclude me from the Park Pilot Program, or am I just not covered when I fly those three models?"

I would THINK that I'm just not covered when I fly those models (which is okay with me, because I'm not covered now anyway) -- but I don't really know. I look forward to a LOT more information from the AMA, about the PPP.
Its too bad we don't have an AMA official on the forum to answer questions like that.
I do think Tom has the solution of .16 cents per day for full membership.. That may be the way to look at it..
Old 01-05-2008, 03:47 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Probably not untill one flys off and hits a car on the highway or goes through a convenience store window. Then I assume your homeoner's insurance is going to cover it anyway as long as you own a home. I know we can say that rarely or never happens, but it's called an accident and it can happen to anyone at any time. Otherwise we wouldn't need any type of insurance.

I've tried my best to stay out of this thread but I really don't see the point in arguing over it. It's pretty apparent most people have already made up their mind whether they do or don't want to be an AMA member. It's their choice. I'm a member because I had to be to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year. Other than that, I had already checked my homeowner's insurance and I am covered anyway (which is the primary coverage to begin with provided you have homeowner's insurance). I do believe the AMA does a lot to promote our hobby but they like any other orginization aren't perfect either.

Apparently your best wasn't good enough? ? ? ? ?:p
Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Do you feel comfortable at being 70% covered?

Frank
I feel very comfortable with 0% AMA coverage.

Probably not untill one flys off and hits a car on the highway or goes through a convenience store window. Then I assume your homeoner's insurance is going to cover it anyway as long as you own a home.
Yes, I have homeowner's insurance. I have contacted them, and specificaly asked them if they would cover me in the event of an accident:
  • The response was, "Is it a hobby, or a business?"
  • I responded, "A hobby."
  • They responded, "Then it's covered just like any other hobby -- you are covered."
  • I said, "even if I'm not on my own property?"
  • They responded, "Yes, it's just like someone playing golf, and hitting someone else on the head with their golf ball -- we would cover the accident."
I don't remember the exact amount of insurance I have, but it's some insane amount -- more than enough to cover a parkflyer's damage. (Come to think of it, I'm sure it's more than the new Park Pilot Program offers.)

I'm a member because I had to be to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year. Other than that, I had already checked my homeowner's insurance and I am covered anyway (which is the primary coverage to begin with provided you have homeowner's insurance).
So, if I'm reading this right... If you didn't want to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year, you and I would be two peas in the same pod.

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Its too bad we don't have an AMA official on the forum to answer questions like that.
I do think Tom has the solution of .16 cents per day for full membership.. That may be the way to look at it..
This is EXACTLY what I said in the "would we benefit from an AMA forum" thread. I don't see how there's a benefit without an AMA official here. :o
Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Tom you have to be careful with this guy... I have told you that!

Give him the slightest opening and WHAM!

(Good one Kev!)
Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Ouch!

Good one Kev!

Frank
Old 01-05-2008, 03:52 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

You're on my ignore list now.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Cool, it looks like we got to the solution to your problem very quickly then. See that wasn't so hard, was it?

I think you knew what you needed/wanted all along. You just had to realize it for yourself.

Glad I could help.

Frank
Old 01-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Yes, I have homeowner's insurance. I have contacted them, and specificaly asked them if they would cover me in the event of an accident:
  • The response was, "Is it a hobby, or a business?"
  • I responded, "A hobby."
  • They responded, "Then it's covered just like any other hobby -- you are covered."
  • I said, "even if I'm not on my own property?"
  • They responded, "Yes, it's just like someone playing golf, and hitting someone else on the head with their golf ball -- we would cover the accident."
I don't remember the exact amount of insurance I have, but it's some insane amount -- more than enough to cover a parkflyer's damage. (Come to think of it, I'm sure it's more than the new Park Pilot Program offers.)

So, if I'm reading this right... If you didn't want to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year, you and I would be two peas in the same pod.
This is EXACTLY what I said in the "would we benefit from an AMA forum" thread. I don't see how there's a benefit without an AMA official here. :o
I don't know if I want to be that cozy but yes, I most likely would not be a member if I did not fly at the club or SEFF. But I am absolutely fine with those that think you should be anyway too. That's their right to feel that way.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Wham.......
Old 01-05-2008, 04:00 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hi guys. I've been reading this thread for the last two days. So, AMA is more or less an Insurance company for rc planes, correct? I tried looking into it, but found no real "in-depth" information. How exactly do they determine how much per plane? Also, if something happened, do I need the incident on video to file a claim? They have alot of rules and regulations outlining the "musts", but not a whole lot on how they work (as an insurance company). Maybe I just didn't see it.

It does make alot of sense to be insured if you have somewhat of an investment.

Mike
Old 01-05-2008, 04:02 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Tom you have to be careful with this guy... I have told you that!

Give him the slightest opening and WHAM!

(Good one Kev!)
Thanks brother Bill!

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Ouch!

Good one Kev!

Frank
Ditto, brother Frank!

You're on my ignore list now.
Gee, big loss there......LOL
Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Wham.......
Thanks to you as well brother Bruce!

As we say at the State Police....."And the hits just keep on comin'!"
Old 01-05-2008, 04:02 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

It is so much more than insurance Mike. The insurance is one small part of the organization.

Check out the website if you haven't already.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/
Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks brother Bill!

Ditto, brother Frank!

Gee, big loss there......LOL

Thanks to you as well brother Bruce!

As we say at the State Police....."And the hits just keep on comin'!"
Good luck with that P-47 and Zero. Guess you'll just have to fly that pink miss sissy stick thingy.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Good luck with that P-47 and Zero. Guess you'll just have to fly that pink miss sissy stick thingy.
Pink sissy thing....?...
I can't stand much more. I'm gonna cry.....
Old 01-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by mikewratterman View Post
Hi guys. I've been reading this thread for the last two days. So, AMA is more or less an Insurance company for rc planes, correct? I tried looking into it, but found no real "in-depth" information. How exactly do they determine how much per plane? Also, if something happened, do I need the incident on video to file a claim? They have alot of rules and regulations outlining the "musts", but not a whole lot on how they work (as an insurance company). Maybe I just didn't see it.

It does make alot of sense to be insured if you have somewhat of an investment.

Mike
Mike,

Like Bill said, there is SO MUCH more. (caps added for emphasis) Insurance is just a very small part of what they do.

Here are a few more links for you to help in your research:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama.aspx

http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/about.html

Frank
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Tom,

You said yours would be pink.....Mine is slated to be covered in red and yellow transparent film......

Bruce, pay him no attention, he went off his meds today.....

Quick Reply: Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14527 seconds with 11 queries