Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included) - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included)

Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 AM
  #151  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
Thread Starter
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

Guy,

If I were you, I would not want to limit myself to flying only those smaller models. What would be the benefit to you to join the PPP then vs. open membership? Maybe you can help me understand?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 AM
  #152  
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER
 
Lieutenant Loughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,406
Default

Right now, I spend $0.00 per airplane on "insurance". I am 0% covered.

I could spend $30 on "insurance" to cover 7 airplanes -- a cost of $4.29 per airplane. I would be 70% covered, as I would continue to fly the other 3 "uninsured" aircraft.

I could spend $60 on "insurance" to cover 10 airplanes -- a cost of $6.00 per airplane. Another way to look at it would be $4.29 per airplane for the first 7 airplanes, and $10.00 per airplane for the final 3 airplanes. I would be 100% covered.

To me, it makes more financial sense to be 70% covered, if anything at all.
Lieutenant Loughead is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 02:59 AM
  #153  
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12,070
Default

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Right now, I spend $0.00 per airplane on "insurance". I am 0% covered.

I could spend $30 on "insurance" to cover 7 airplanes -- a cost of $4.29 per airplane. I would be 70% covered, as I would continue to fly the other 3 "uninsured" aircraft.

I could spend $60 on "insurance" to cover 10 airplanes -- a cost of $6.00 per airplane. Another way to look at it would be $4.29 per airplane for the first 7 airplanes, and $10.00 per airplane for the final 3 airplanes. I would be 100% covered.

To me, it makes more financial sense to be 70% covered, if anything at all.

Or you could look at it that you can spend $0.16 per day for a full membership and be completely covered.
Grasshopper is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 AM
  #154  
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER
 
Lieutenant Loughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,406
Default

Yeah, that thought process hasn't hooked me for the last 3.5 years... :o

Tom -- you've seen where I fly, what I fly, and how I fly. Do you REALLY think I need AMA insurance for any of the aircraft I fly?
Lieutenant Loughead is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 AM
  #155  
denial15
Swede
 
denial15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 10-95
Posts: 61
Default

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I hope so! May 4 is my bday. last day of SEFF

Sweet. Same here. What time? LOL
denial15 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 AM
  #156  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
Thread Starter
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Right now, I spend $0.00 per airplane on "insurance". I am 0% covered.

I could spend $30 on "insurance" to cover 7 airplanes -- a cost of $4.29 per airplane. I would be 70% covered, as I would continue to fly the other 3 "uninsured" aircraft.

I could spend $60 on "insurance" to cover 10 airplanes -- a cost of $6.00 per airplane. Another way to look at it would be $4.29 per airplane for the first 7 airplanes, and $10.00 per airplane for the final 3 airplanes. I would be 100% covered.

To me, it makes more financial sense to be 70% covered, if anything at all.
Do you feel comfortable at being 70% covered?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 AM
  #157  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,593
Default

Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Sweet. Same here. What time? LOL
I dunno... I was asleep when it happened I think! Til that guy smacked me on the hind end! Then I was wide awake!
firemanbill is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 AM
  #158  
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12,070
Default

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Yeah, that thought process hasn't hooked me for the last 3.5 years... :o

Tom -- you've seen where I fly, what I fly, and how I fly. Do you REALLY think I need AMA insurance for any of the aircraft I fly?
Probably not untill one flys off and hits a car on the highway or goes through a convenience store window. Then I assume your homeoner's insurance is going to cover it anyway as long as you own a home. I know we can say that rarely or never happens, but it's called an accident and it can happen to anyone at any time. Otherwise we wouldn't need any type of insurance.


I've tried my best to stay out of this thread but I really don't see the point in arguing over it. It's pretty apparent most people have already made up their mind whether they do or don't want to be an AMA member. It's their choice. I'm a member because I had to be to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year. Other than that, I had already checked my homeowner's insurance and I am covered anyway (which is the primary coverage to begin with provided you have homeowner's insurance). I do believe the AMA does a lot to promote our hobby but they like any other orginization aren't perfect either.

This is a subject that has been debated for years with no resolve and even though Wattflyer Members are very polite and respectful of each other (most of the time) there is no reason to believe we are going to come to a consensous here either.
Grasshopper is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:29 AM
  #159  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,593
Default

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
This is a subject that has been debated for years with no resolve and even though Wattflyer Members are very polite and respectful of each other (most of the time) there is no reason to believe we are going to come to a consensous here either.

AMEN BROTHER!
firemanbill is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:31 AM
  #160  
Airhead
Redneck Member
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntsville AL.
Posts: 5,624
Default

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Frank -- please see my list of questions, on page one of this thread.

One of my questions is, "I have seven (7) airplanes which meet the requirements (fly at less than 60 mph, and weigh less than 2 pounds) -- but I have three (3) airplanes which do not (one is too fast [RTF Parkzone Stryker], and two are too heavy [Sureflite P-51, and GWS P-38]). Does that exclude me from the Park Pilot Program, or am I just not covered when I fly those three models?"

I would THINK that I'm just not covered when I fly those models (which is okay with me, because I'm not covered now anyway) -- but I don't really know. I look forward to a LOT more information from the AMA, about the PPP.
Its too bad we don't have an AMA official on the forum to answer questions like that.
I do think Tom has the solution of .16 cents per day for full membership.. That may be the way to look at it..
Airhead is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:47 AM
  #161  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Probably not untill one flys off and hits a car on the highway or goes through a convenience store window. Then I assume your homeoner's insurance is going to cover it anyway as long as you own a home. I know we can say that rarely or never happens, but it's called an accident and it can happen to anyone at any time. Otherwise we wouldn't need any type of insurance.


I've tried my best to stay out of this thread but I really don't see the point in arguing over it. It's pretty apparent most people have already made up their mind whether they do or don't want to be an AMA member. It's their choice. I'm a member because I had to be to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year. Other than that, I had already checked my homeowner's insurance and I am covered anyway (which is the primary coverage to begin with provided you have homeowner's insurance). I do believe the AMA does a lot to promote our hobby but they like any other orginization aren't perfect either.

This is a subject that has been debated for years with no resolve and even though Wattflyer Members are very polite and respectful of each other (most of the time) there is no reason to believe we are going to come to a consensous here either.
Apparently your best wasn't good enough? ? ? ? ?:p
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 AM
  #162  
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER
 
Lieutenant Loughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,406
Default

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Do you feel comfortable at being 70% covered?

Frank
I feel very comfortable with 0% AMA coverage.

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Probably not untill one flys off and hits a car on the highway or goes through a convenience store window. Then I assume your homeoner's insurance is going to cover it anyway as long as you own a home.
Yes, I have homeowner's insurance. I have contacted them, and specificaly asked them if they would cover me in the event of an accident:
  • The response was, "Is it a hobby, or a business?"
  • I responded, "A hobby."
  • They responded, "Then it's covered just like any other hobby -- you are covered."
  • I said, "even if I'm not on my own property?"
  • They responded, "Yes, it's just like someone playing golf, and hitting someone else on the head with their golf ball -- we would cover the accident."
I don't remember the exact amount of insurance I have, but it's some insane amount -- more than enough to cover a parkflyer's damage. (Come to think of it, I'm sure it's more than the new Park Pilot Program offers.)

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I'm a member because I had to be to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year. Other than that, I had already checked my homeowner's insurance and I am covered anyway (which is the primary coverage to begin with provided you have homeowner's insurance).
So, if I'm reading this right... If you didn't want to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year, you and I would be two peas in the same pod.

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Its too bad we don't have an AMA official on the forum to answer questions like that.
I do think Tom has the solution of .16 cents per day for full membership.. That may be the way to look at it..
This is EXACTLY what I said in the "would we benefit from an AMA forum" thread. I don't see how there's a benefit without an AMA official here. :o
Lieutenant Loughead is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 AM
  #163  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,593
Default

Tom you have to be careful with this guy... I have told you that!

Give him the slightest opening and WHAM!

(Good one Kev!)
firemanbill is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 AM
  #164  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
Thread Starter
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Apparently your best wasn't good enough? ? ? ? ?:p
Ouch!

Good one Kev!


Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:52 AM
  #165  
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12,070
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Apparently your best wasn't good enough? ? ? ? ?:p
You're on my ignore list now.
Grasshopper is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 AM
  #166  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
Thread Starter
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
I feel very comfortable with 0% AMA coverage.
Cool, it looks like we got to the solution to your problem very quickly then. See that wasn't so hard, was it?

I think you knew what you needed/wanted all along. You just had to realize it for yourself.

Glad I could help.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:57 AM
  #167  
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12,070
Default

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
I feel very comfortable with 0% AMA coverage.

Yes, I have homeowner's insurance. I have contacted them, and specificaly asked them if they would cover me in the event of an accident:
  • The response was, "Is it a hobby, or a business?"
  • I responded, "A hobby."
  • They responded, "Then it's covered just like any other hobby -- you are covered."
  • I said, "even if I'm not on my own property?"
  • They responded, "Yes, it's just like someone playing golf, and hitting someone else on the head with their golf ball -- we would cover the accident."
I don't remember the exact amount of insurance I have, but it's some insane amount -- more than enough to cover a parkflyer's damage. (Come to think of it, I'm sure it's more than the new Park Pilot Program offers.)

So, if I'm reading this right... If you didn't want to join the local club and fly at SEFF this year, you and I would be two peas in the same pod.
This is EXACTLY what I said in the "would we benefit from an AMA forum" thread. I don't see how there's a benefit without an AMA official here. :o
I don't know if I want to be that cozy but yes, I most likely would not be a member if I did not fly at the club or SEFF. But I am absolutely fine with those that think you should be anyway too. That's their right to feel that way.
Grasshopper is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:59 AM
  #168  
Airhead
Redneck Member
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntsville AL.
Posts: 5,624
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Apparently your best wasn't good enough? ? ? ? ?:p
Wham.......
Airhead is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:00 AM
  #169  
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor
 
Angler-Hi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ft Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,137
Default

Hi guys. I've been reading this thread for the last two days. So, AMA is more or less an Insurance company for rc planes, correct? I tried looking into it, but found no real "in-depth" information. How exactly do they determine how much per plane? Also, if something happened, do I need the incident on video to file a claim? They have alot of rules and regulations outlining the "musts", but not a whole lot on how they work (as an insurance company). Maybe I just didn't see it.

It does make alot of sense to be insured if you have somewhat of an investment.

Mike
Angler-Hi is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:02 AM
  #170  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Tom you have to be careful with this guy... I have told you that!

Give him the slightest opening and WHAM!

(Good one Kev!)
Thanks brother Bill!

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Ouch!

Good one Kev!


Frank
Ditto, brother Frank!

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
You're on my ignore list now.
Gee, big loss there......LOL
Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Wham.......
Thanks to you as well brother Bruce!

As we say at the State Police....."And the hits just keep on comin'!"
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:02 AM
  #171  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,593
Default

It is so much more than insurance Mike. The insurance is one small part of the organization.

Check out the website if you haven't already.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/
firemanbill is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 AM
  #172  
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12,070
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Thanks brother Bill!


Ditto, brother Frank!


Gee, big loss there......LOL


Thanks to you as well brother Bruce!

As we say at the State Police....."And the hits just keep on comin'!"
Good luck with that P-47 and Zero. Guess you'll just have to fly that pink miss sissy stick thingy.
Grasshopper is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 AM
  #173  
Airhead
Redneck Member
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntsville AL.
Posts: 5,624
Default

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Good luck with that P-47 and Zero. Guess you'll just have to fly that pink miss sissy stick thingy.
Pink sissy thing....?...
I can't stand much more. I'm gonna cry.....
Airhead is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:10 AM
  #174  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
Thread Starter
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

Originally Posted by mikewratterman View Post
Hi guys. I've been reading this thread for the last two days. So, AMA is more or less an Insurance company for rc planes, correct? I tried looking into it, but found no real "in-depth" information. How exactly do they determine how much per plane? Also, if something happened, do I need the incident on video to file a claim? They have alot of rules and regulations outlining the "musts", but not a whole lot on how they work (as an insurance company). Maybe I just didn't see it.

It does make alot of sense to be insured if you have somewhat of an investment.

Mike
Mike,

Like Bill said, there is SO MUCH more. (caps added for emphasis) Insurance is just a very small part of what they do.

Here are a few more links for you to help in your research:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama.aspx

http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/about.html

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 AM
  #175  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Tom,

You said yours would be pink.....Mine is slated to be covered in red and yellow transparent film......

Bruce, pay him no attention, he went off his meds today.....
gfdengine204 is offline  

Quick Reply: Open AMA Discussion Thread (Park Pilot Program Included)


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14527 seconds with 11 queries