Opinions on the Trex 450 for a beginner - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

Opinions on the Trex 450 for a beginner

Old 11-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Adrian

If I were you I would mount the gyro below the boom holder, just take it out- turn it around & tighten everything back up(you will also have to turn the boom through 180 also). you will need to make a small plate a couple of MM's thick then using servo tape mount on both sides & stick the gyro back on then to finish it off wrap velcro round for added security-BUT dont put it on too tight or vibration might be tranmitted from airframe to gyro. You will have to reverse the gyro, read your instructions for 401
This above mod will save your gyro if you ever have a heavy crash when the fly bar comes down & whacks it
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 PM
eddo22

Gyro underneath is a must...there is even a finless vid about it if i remember correctly. I use rick lohr's product, but Adrian is right one can can easily be homemade.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 AM
platinumjason

I picked up a T-Rex SA this weekend. I will be running the stock motor/esc along with a DX7 radio and a Logitech 2100T gyro. I hear this gyro is as good or better than a 401. Im not sure Ive never used either yet but the link Im posting below has the gyro on sale for about an hour and a half for $89. Mine came out to $95 shipped.

http://www.helidirect.com/
Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Cool thanks for the advice guys. I've already mounted the gyro underneath using a small piece of 6mm Depron. I gorilla glued it to the boom holder and then double taped the gyro to it. I managaed to break the stupid plastic swash just by picking the heli up in the wrong place! Anyway, I've ordered a bunch of new metal stuff and it should be here tomorrow. Heres some pics, what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gyro.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	46253   Click image for larger version

Name:	swash.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	46254  
Old 11-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Adrian

I had already got an SE when I then bought an S to put a body kit on it, I only flew it once & had problems with RX wire route which caused a major "funky chicken dance" before finally hitting the ground & bits of plastic from the head/tail flew everywhere!
Hence the S became an alloy framed SE once all the bits arrived from a certain site in Japan-much cheaper than buying in UK. Problem was then I had built such a thing of beauty I couldnt put a body kit on it. (+ I realised the added weight would blunt performance)
Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 PM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

I've always wanted a body kit for my heli but didnt see anywhere to buy one. Where did you get yours Adrian?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 PM
theecoop

"I managaed to break the stupid plastic swash just by picking the heli up in the wrong place!" Sorry to hear ! only minor set back though ,I would guess. I'm still trying to find time to practice ,I now have my T-Rex450SA and T-RexXL both ready to go just waiting on me....(work load) Grrrrrr soon though I hope
Old 11-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Adrian

There are dozens of people making fuz's all over the world. USA I would probably try DARTHDARK he makes some very differant variations of fuz's + the more regular kits. E-bay can also be a good place to look now the Asians are starting to mass produce just about anything you could want & the quality has gone through the roof over the last couple of years-but to buy-its getting cheaper
I've just got a small park flyer up & the motor/ESC combo cost just 30 for it. 170W on a plane that weighs 650gms! (have a look on watt flyer SCALE E-POWERED, Alpha Mustang & my E-flite Cubs on there too, I've had many problems with it but its now OK
Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
buzkil
For love of flight

http://helihobby.com/ has a nice selection of scale bodies and canopies. There are a couple of other sights out there but I can't remember them right now. I too would like a scale bodie but as adrian has listed my 450SE has bling on it. So i'll just wait till I buy another to put a bodie on it.
Right now I'm more into planes than my heli. I seem to go through phases like that, one month planes, next month helis, the month after that boats, than it starts all over again. I used to have a nice collection of helis but than came this gal named "Kartina" that took my whole hobby away in one fell tidle surge. Now I have more planes that helis.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Thanks guys. Have you maidened your helis yet Coop? I JUST finished getting mine all figured out. Man what a steep learning curve I was on. It took me hours to get that damned Radio programmed. Now I just need a perfectly calm day to try her out. I ordered some training gear last night, I guess I should wait untill it gets here. What do you guys think. Anyway, I'm off to have a look at those bodies, thanks again.

Bob
Old 11-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Adrian

To be honest I copied my 1st settings off another guys heli to start with, now I'm getting a bit better its starting to get customised to my needs, but to begin with you just need a basic safe set up just using throttle settings-idle up may just be a bit TOO much to begin with!
I'm a very cautious flyer & it took me about 6 months before I went to idle up (fixed head speed & just using +or-pitch for height adjustments TBH though I had no issues with that transition either) wether it was down to "flight hours" or just a well set up heli I'm unsure
I havnt seen any of the Finless vidieos but I hear they are an absolute must for the beginner covering many of the basic's-including throttle & pitch curves for a basic set up-take heed young skywalker (soz)
Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

The Finless videos are awesome and thats no exaggeration. I really dont think I could have done it without those videos and forums. The manuals arent the best in the world thats for sure. Heres the link for the Finless vids, you'll have to register to download them.
http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60
In this list look for "generic vidoes" or something like that to see the Trex 450 vids. I'm starting to get the hang of this little birdy. I cant wait for a nice day now!

Bob
Old 11-12-2007, 01:26 AM
theecoop

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR OFF TO A GREAT START. CONGRATS

Last edited by theecoop; 11-12-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

This isnt what I had in mind when I said a "nice day"!! Last night we had a unreal storm, over 150mm's (7 inches) of rain in 8 hrs. I woke up to 3 feet of water surrounding my house. At least now the Johova's wont come knocking! lol. Anyway, its the flood plains and I do live in the rain forest, guess if I dont like it I can always move huh? Nah.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunken truck mini.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	46801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood pile.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	46802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backyard water mini.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	46803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hangin welder.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	46804  
Old 11-13-2007, 11:43 AM
theecoop

wow, sorry to see that. maybe some floats for the heli is in order (no pun intended) . Hope things work out for you in your time of need !
Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM
eddo22

yikes! good luck man...hope your house gets thru it without damage.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:49 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Thanks guys.. I'v spent the last three days cleaning up this mess. The mud that comes with a flood is the worst part. Good for the fields but not soo good for the washer and dryer. Anyway, it floods here every year but usually only a foot or less. The house is built for it, all the electrical outlets are at the ceiling and the insulation is foam board etc.. This was just a bad one that caught us off gaurd, we were sleeping when it came in. I woke up and there was already 3 feet of water. I ran around for as long as I could stand the -1 deg water and put things like my welder up but unfortunatly I couldnt get alot of it up.

One thing though that made me really thank my lucky stars though. The very first thing that went through my mind when I looked out the window to see the water was my Fliton Extra 330 downstairs in my shop, so I went running down there only to find it floating on a big piece of foam board that I had beside it! I couldnt believe my luck, I guess what happened was the plane started to float a little and then the board slid down the wall and right under the landing gear on one side. It only went over as far as the other landing strut but was enough to get the center of gravity over on the board lifting the whole plane except the one wingtip out of the water. I couldnt believe it. Anyway, it was interesting to say the least. Thanks for the good wishes, hopefully this stupid rain season will end soon and I can get my heli up in the air.

Bob
Old 11-24-2007, 05:40 PM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

I got the little birdy in the air What a rush! I've got about 6 lipos through it now and so far so good. As far as this heli being good for a beginner? I'd say its a great heli to start on. There was alot to learn for sure, its not easy getting these things set up. But in the air it handles very well, hovering was quite easy actually, at least for me. The thing I'm having the most trouble with is hovering side in, but I'm sure that practice will solve that problem. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help getting me to this point. I couldnt have done it without you!

Bob
Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 PM
eddo22

that's a crazy story about the plane...awesome! glad to hear you are up and running...congrats!
let me send you off with my favorite t-rex 450 video for inspiration, this guy is awesome:

Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 PM
eddo22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrp_Shj1rMs
Old 11-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Adrian

Glad to hear your in the air, bet you didnt know you could have so much fun with your clothes on Its a bit different from flying planks though!!!
I've just finished rebuilding TREX1 after a "dumb thumb" incident.
will be flying tommorow night at heli club indoors (huge dome with a gym on one side a tennis court down the middle & another area thats used for badmington except on heli nights when the "newbies" hover around it + with being a very big dome we have approx 60ft to play with height wise all this for 20 a year!) I'm just busy re-learning how to fly at the moment, I've found that using thumbs on the sticks isnt as accurate as pinching (finger & thumb) I've put 13hrs on the flight sim with re-configured handset hopefully that should put an end to some errant behaviour my helis have been displaying & lead to no more "dumb thumb" accidents (see above) other than pilot stupidity of course.
I've been flying TREX's for a year now & many times a week (on average) & am only just in the last couple of months really flying it rather it flying me, it can be daunting at times-but when the penny drops hope the penny drops soon for you
Old 11-26-2007, 07:14 PM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

That is an unreal video I dont know what that guy does for a living but that house is PIMP. That would be a big step up from my farmhouse lol. Truth is I would hate to live there, afraid to get something dirty all the time. Thanks for the video link.

I also tried to change to the Pinching method, but it just doesnt feel right. I gave it a good go too but just dont have the coordination between fingers I guess. I have always flown with my thumbs, must be all that time on the Nintendo when I was a kid I have seen many world class pilots fly with their thumbs so I decided to just stick with it.

I'm on about my 30th lipo now and have progressed pretty quickly. I took off the landing gear after the 10th flight, and once I started flying forward all my plane time kicked in. I was having alot of trouble hovering side in but once I got some time flying forward time, it seemed to be easier hovering.

Sounds like you've got a great place to fly Adrian, I'd love to do some indoor flying sometime. I live in the boonies though, the biggest building in my farm town is our barn. It is easily big enough to fly in, we would just need to empty all the crap out lol. I'm really lucky though that I have 80 acres in my backyard to fly in. I get up almost every morning and pour a coffee and go fly for 3 or 4 lipos. Then I work all day and then get 3 or 4 more in at night. As long as the weather is holding up.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, yak later..

Bob
Old 11-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Adrian

I've come to the conclusion that I can pinch on the flight sim-but on the real heli I was flying it like a drunk monkey! Like you I'm one of the console generation although older than you I've brought up four kids who now are aged 32,23,20&18 I had to play with them on their machines. (only one more to get rid of but she's gonna be at uni for the next 3 years)
Glad your getting good stick time coz thats the only way to learn, flight sims help though, as long as you set them up right otherwise its more like an arcade game.
England at moment "winter mode" dark til 8am-grey all day-dark by 4pm, you can also add gale force winds & stinging rain when it isnt grey, every now & then the sun shines-but usually while I'm at work Indoor flying is my only outlet til spring (in general).
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Bob O
AMA 489725

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but there is soooo much useful information in it that I had to reply. I don't have time right now to check the links and videos, but I wanted to tell you all that I have a T-Rex 450SA on the way with the Align motor and ESC. I have yet to pick out the gyro and servos. I've been flying the T-Rex on my FSOne for a couple of weeks now.

So far almost everything I've been able to find on the T-rex 450 has said that it is a good beginner's heli.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 AM
eddo22

congrats on the new heli. i don't think you will be disappointed! there are newer servos and gyros now but here is what i had in mine:
hs-65mgs on cyclic
futaba 401 gyro
futaba 9650 for rudder (i think the rudder specific version of this servo is the 9257 but you should confirm)
and you can checkout pics of my old sweetheart here. hope that helps, congrats again.
best,
ed

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Trex 450 for a beginner

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15269 seconds with 17 queries