Aerodrome RC Stearman Military Trainer - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Aerodrome RC Stearman Military Trainer

Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Very clean work.
Way more pride in owning a handbuilt, than the ARF Stearman done in the same scheme.

I imagine that 2 wire "V" setup for the landing gear legs should be pretty strong. Much better than single wire leg.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 AM
haze_b

Beautiful work!!!! How does she fly?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Thanks Bill and haze,

I haven't flown it yet (in the middle of a move right now), but I bet, if I can get the balance right, it should fly well. It sure was fun to build! I still have one ARF (a little Wattage Stagerwing the LOVES to snap roll) and it hangs on the wall. The hand-builts do take a bunch of time, but I love sticking little bits of balsa together on a cold, bleak afternoon watching a favorite movie in my warm workroom.

My next project will be a Fokker DVIII from AerdromeRC. That should be super cool! I'll have to figure out how to do one of those crazy paint schemes!

Franny
Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

BTW Franny,
I finally flew my Guillows DR1 and still have it in 1 piece!
(came to mind when I saw your avatar)

Should be much better now that I changed the elevator incidence.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker_Guillows_flight_1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	45337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker_Guillows_6complete.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	45338  
Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Hi Bill,

Ya know... I actually have a small bit of down elevator to get mine to fly level. I Imagine that could be a number of things, but it is interesting to fly something with sooo much lift! But, it does seem like it may be an incidence issue. Not much I can do about that... How are your landings? I bipped mine in on the last flight as it stalled just at the last second. It only bent the LG a tad, but I need to remember (as with the Stearman I bet too) to keep the airspeed up on landings!

Thanks for sharing! The DRI is my all-time favorite! My avitar is the Dare 31". Aerodrome now has a larger 46" DRI that I'm itchin' for. The power is the same as the Stearman - AXI 2826. That is about as big as I get... About .35-.46 size.

Franny
Old 10-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Franny View Post
Hi Bill,

Ya know... I actually have a small bit of down elevator to get mine to fly level. I Imagine that could be a number of things, but it is interesting to fly something with sooo much lift! But, it does seem like it may be an incidence issue. Not much I can do about that... How are your landings? I bipped mine in on the last flight as it stalled just at the last second. It only bent the LG a tad, but I need to remember (as with the Stearman I bet too) to keep the airspeed up on landings!

Thanks for sharing! The DRI is my all-time favorite! My avitar is the Dare 31". Aerodrome now has a larger 46" DRI that I'm itchin' for. The power is the same as the Stearman - AXI 2826. That is about as big as I get... About .35-.46 size.

Franny
It slowed down real nicely at 6.5oz. There's a lot of wing there. That field (in my last pic) is really forgiving. I don't even think I'll join the club next year. I fly all small stuff, and that high grass is great. Too far drive to the club.
I pick the areas with the tallest grass and weeds for the first launch also.

I'm hoping that the 3/32" shim that I put under the front of the elevator should help a lot. I'd love to get this flying to the point where I could trust it to an indoor meet.

The first lauch, before I flew it with a lot of down elevator trim, went straight up and over. Fortunately and for the first time, I was able to try something that I've been wanting to do. Save a ground looper from damage by NOT trying to right it, and just flying it into the ground inverted. It worked fine, and no damage. I don't want to have to do that again though.

Yes, with all that lift I was surprised how little power it needed. I had a brushed IPS in it, but never flew with it, thinking it wouldn't be enough. It probably would have been fine. I installed a 5866kv Feigao in an IPS "A" gearbox. Has hover potential now.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Sharkykzn

Thumbs up Motor mount

Hi Franny.

Thanks for the build thread, and well done on a fantastic job, you have sold me on this kit, as good Stearman kits are rare. I have been looking around for a while.

You appear to have used a conventional motor mount on your build, any idea how the Radial Mount Set for the AXI motor will work on the plane?

Also can't wait for your maiden flight report and a few pics to see her airborne.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Hi Sharky,

One of the neat details about this kit is that the dummy engine is actualy the motor mount. It seems quite strong and I did soak it a bit with thin CA. The kit also comes with extra cylinder parts just in case of a less than stellar landing. You could use the "X" mount if you like and mount directly to the firewall, but I wanted to save the dough on the AXI conversion kit. Kurt has published an addendum to the kit plans from some suggestions I sent him. You can check that out here (big PDF file): http://www.aerodromerc.com/Goldenage...iner_Notes.pdf

Good luck on yours! I really enjoyed the build!

I hope to get it in the air before too long.

Thanks,

Franny

Last edited by Franny; 10-31-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
E-Challenged

It seems that most Stearman bipes tend to fly like yours and need the zooming and stalling/tip stalling tendency to be tamed. I had quite a hassle getting my Guillows PT-17 to fly before the lipo/brushless revolution. the various power sytems with NiMh packs weighed too much and had too little power for their weight. I read various opionions on wing incidence settings for bipes and finally set the top wing to around zero incidence and the bottom wing at one or two degrees per the plans. I built dihedral into both wings, no ailerons. I always had to fly with slight down-elevator trim even with slight nose heaviness. My successful power setup was a GWS DXA gearbox with a Medusa 12mm 4200KV motor and 400mah 3S ( 3-cell) lipo pack and 8x4 slow flier prop, noticeable down and right thrust. I had to make a slot in the firewall so that the lipo pack protruded into the ring cowl along side the motor gear/drive to get proper balance without exessive clay in the nose. I removed the plastic dummy radial and made a cowl ring out of an ABS calcium supplement container. Rudder and elevator were very sensitive so I reduced the throw. Once I got the overall weight down and incidences right it did nice ROG's, would loop without rolling out and flew predictably. Pat Tritle's Waco YMF is supposed to be a piece of cake to set up and fly.

Name:	pt17_side_crop_copy_t.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	48053  
Old 03-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Jollyroger
Jollyroger

I wondered when someone going to get around to building this one. Whenever I go to their website, I have to take another look at the Stearman.
Incidently, a couple years ago I took a ride in one. One of our clubmembers is a chater jet pilot whose boss owned a big black roaring Stearman. Built in 1943 and was based somewhere in Kansas during the war for primary flight training.
What A ride! better than anything at Cedar Point!

Name:	Stearman 002.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	60374  
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

They are like none other... Rent or buy a copy of "Dive Bomber" With Errol Flynn. Great flick and lots of Stearman footage. It was made at the beginning of WWII and is all Navy flying.

I hope to maiden this one soon. We are starting a basement re-model and that has most of my time right now. She is all ready to go and I expect great things!

Franny
Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Another movie with a lot of Stearman flying is Gypsy Angels, if you can find the tape. They do a stunt where the Stearman flies under two cars jumping over ramps from opposite directions. Vanna White plays a reformed stripper. I guess this was before her letter turning days.

Last edited by Rabbitcreekok; 03-21-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:11 AM
mountainflyer08

Franny,
That is awesome, I just ordered aerodrome's Bristol Scout, can't wait for the kit to arrive.. cool to see someone else from Colorado in here..Happy flying
Old 04-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Thanks Mountainflyer!

I am still to fly it. Lots going on at home with a move/basement finishing and lawn all happening... I'll give a complete report when I finally get to it.

Do you ever make it up to Denver/Arvada? I fly out at the Arvada Associated Modelers park: http://www.arvadamodelers.com/

The AerodromeRC kits are just the best. Good luck on your Scout!!

Franny
Old 05-10-2008, 12:27 AM
jofrost
It flew once before...

Franny ,

Your Stearman is absolutely beautiful . I wish you all the best on your maiden

I have the Dare Fokker DR1 also and sounds to be its characteristic to have down trim . Other than that it flies beautifully . Yours looks to be the same scheme that was on the box , which was how I was going to do mine but opted for Richthoffens scheme instead

-John
Old 05-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Thanks John,

I did purchased the larger DRI from AerodromeRC and plan to do it in the "Waldo Pepper" colors (yellow and black checker board). I hoping it will be a little easier to get on and off the ground. Alas, it is still in the box though... I'm in the middle of a complete basement build out and the new workshop is just a bunch of 2X4 studs at this point. As for the Stearman maiden, I will get to that in a bit too. Too much time went into that so I want to be sure the conditions are good. I'll report back after the deed is done...

Thanks,

Franny
Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 PM
griffin

Hi Franny,
This is one of the most striking scale planes I have seen. Fantastic work all the way around!

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, hoping to see some in-flight pics!

Steve

PS I grew up in Arvada on 66th street and went to Peck Elementry in the early 70's!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Thanks Steve!

30+mph winds foiled the maiden attempt last weekend Here is a photo of her with her ribbon...

Small world... We are in a new area just east of 93 and just south of Leyden Rd. The airplane park is just west of us. I can see it from the living room window!

Franny

Name:	Award1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	66634  
Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 AM
Gimpster

Hey Franny,

I am thinking of building one of these over this comming winter. It will be the first real all wood kit I have built, but I do have a hybrid wood/foam kit build under my belt. How diffacult would you say it is to build for some one not acustom to working with balsa?

And you get a chance to fly it yet?

Thanks

Gimpster
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Hi Gimpster,

I would rate this as an intermediate kit. Most of it is straightforward, but there are a few parts that may challenge you. It really is a beautiful kit. Download the two manuals on the AerodromeRC site.

I haven't flown it yet darn it! That basement build out and weather has kept me from getting to the field for the past six weeks or so. One of these quiet evenings though...

Thanks,

Franny
Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Gimpster

Franny,

Lucky for me I belong to the same club as Gary Ritchie, who has built several of the kits from Aerodrome RC and been the prototype builder on at least one. So if I run in to any problems I have some great help avalable.

Gimpster
Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Sounds great G... Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions. And, as always... post some photos!

f
Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
ohaussie

Franny...
Just a beautiful airplane.. and that's comming from a heli guy too... You might just have convinced me to venture onto the dark side...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

"Very powerful the dark side is... For, once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny... Consume you it will!"

I think the little guy was right...

Hey, welcome to Wattflyer! Great to have you. Let me know if I can answer any questions about the Aerodrome Stearman. Great kit!

Franny
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM
yflint

Default Stearman PT-17

Hi Franny,
You made an exelent work on your scale.
I fly this model from Aerodromerc for more then a year without any problems.
I attached some pictures of my Stearman.
Wish you many happy landings.
Y. Flint

Name:	DSC01372.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	83670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01373.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	83671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IDO_1223.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	83672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IDO_1240.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	83673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IDO_1252.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	83674  

Quick Reply: Aerodrome RC Stearman Military Trainer

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11334 seconds with 21 queries