spitfire - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

spitfire

Old 08-14-2007, 06:31 PM
  #1  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default spitfire

Hello, I am starting a spitfire project, and I want to know if this is the place to show the progress on it??
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 PM
  #2  
max2112
Super Contributor
 
max2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,550
Smile Welcome!

Spitfire,
First, Welcome to WattFlyer!! It's always good to see new folks.

Secondly, things are pretty relaxed around here. So if your Spitfire is a parkflyer (smaller wingspan, not really fast, doesn't require a lot of room, etc) then sure this is the right place.
But if you are really into the details and are building a scale plane, then maybe the WarBirds forum might be best.
If you are just starting out, there is a lot of help in Beginners
Or if it's constructed from foam..... well you get the idea!

You might get more views in the Beginners or here in the ParkFlyers section, but for the most part, it's all good!

Hope this helps.
John
max2112 is offline  
Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 PM
  #3  
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor
 
Frank Voikel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lake Elmo, MN
Posts: 1,887
Default

Pretty much exactly right. Lots of helpful folks here on WF!
Frank Voikel is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 12:00 AM
  #4  
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun
 
Biplane Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern California High Desert
Posts: 4,534
Default

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Hello, I am starting a spitfire project, and I want to know if this is the place to show the progress on it??
Hi Spitfire...That plane is one of my favorites!!!! I even named one of my bird dogs Spitfire!! I look forward to watching your build.

And of course welcome to Wattflyer!!
Biplane Murphy is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 AM
  #5  
Wolfsbane
Member
 
Wolfsbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Posts: 68
Default

Absolute best place to be!
Wolfsbane is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 03:57 AM
  #6  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Spitfire,
First, Welcome to WattFlyer!! It's always good to see new folks.

Secondly, things are pretty relaxed around here. So if your Spitfire is a parkflyer (smaller wingspan, not really fast, doesn't require a lot of room, etc) then sure this is the right place.
But if you are really into the details and are building a scale plane, then maybe the WarBirds forum might be best.
If you are just starting out, there is a lot of help in Beginners
Or if it's constructed from foam..... well you get the idea!

You might get more views in the Beginners or here in the ParkFlyers section, but for the most part, it's all good!

Hope this helps.
John
well it has a 30" wingspan, yes it's a park flyer, yes i am planing on building it as scale as possible and it has a 400 watt motor. so is this the place to be
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 04:05 AM
  #7  
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun
 
Biplane Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern California High Desert
Posts: 4,534
Default

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
well it has a 30" wingspan, and yes i am planing on building it as scale as possible and it has a 400 watt motor. so is this the place to be
Sounds like a parkflyer with a lot of detail and massive power (I like it)......This is as good a place as any...
If the powers that be disagree they'll just move your thread over to another department....no big deal...post away....Give us lot's of photos...we like photos.
Biplane Murphy is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 04:10 AM
  #8  
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12,070
Default

Cool Spitfire. I always love to see a nice warbird. Do post pictures please.
Grasshopper is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 06:41 PM
  #9  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

Ok well i haven't built anything, YET. but mom said that we can go and get some balsa (and glue) so i can build it

and i don't have any good pictures, because all i have is plans

Last edited by spitfire; 08-15-2007 at 09:08 PM.
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
  #10  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

should i use brushless motor are standard???

what difference does it make?
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 PM
  #11  
Tinman
The Hot dog man
 
Tinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,584
Default

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
should i use brushless motor are standard???

what difference does it make?
I would go brushless! I built a GWS Spitfire and it came out pretty well. I put one of those Tower Pro brushless motors in it , I think it was only 12 dollars.

Brushless motors don't have any brushes to wear on them, they use magnets. They are much better performing and never wear out. They are a great choice.
Tinman is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 PM
  #12  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I would go brushless! I built a GWS Spitfire and it came out pretty well. I put one of those Tower Pro brushless motors in it , I think it was only 12 dollars.

Brushless motors don't have any brushes to wear on them, they use magnets. They are much better performing and never wear out. They are a great choice.


$12 and it never wears out I'll go for that!!!!!!!

oh and i am going to put retracts on it any suggestions
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
  #13  
Tinman
The Hot dog man
 
Tinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,584
Default

Sorry can't help you on the retracts. Never did them. But here is a link to the motor I bought. here. Shipping is only 2 bucks.

Most people just leave the gear off of the warbirds and belly land them.. Thats what I did.
Tinman is offline  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
  #14  
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12,070
Default

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
$12 and it never wears out I'll go for that!!!!!!!

oh and i am going to put retracts on it any suggestions
Look at post #12 in this thread.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22627
Grasshopper is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 AM
  #15  
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun
 
Biplane Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern California High Desert
Posts: 4,534
Default

Go Brushless....Buy an Electronic speed control that is higher rated than the motor needs....Use Li-Po batteries....You'll be way happier in the long run!!
Biplane Murphy is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 05:02 PM
  #16  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy View Post
Go Brushless....Buy an Electronic speed control that is higher rated than the motor needs....Use Li-Po batteries....You'll be way happier in the long run!!



thanks biplane murphy, now i just got to go get some balsa (and glue)


i will post then!
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM
  #17  
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun
 
Biplane Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern California High Desert
Posts: 4,534
Default

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
thanks biplane murphy, now i just got to go get some balsa (and glue)


i will post then!
Yep I forgot that......You'll need some balsa and glue....:<....
Biplane Murphy is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 PM
  #18  
Leo L
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 589
Default

Hi Spitfire,

Just curious - what is your flying experience?
Leo L is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 06:54 PM
  #19  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

well i flew a great planes tutor for awhile then i crashed (folded the wings, not my fault that this trainer cant do aerobatics) now i fly a grow something mom bought dad 20 years ago and now i want to build a spitfire, so this will be my third airplane

so i am about intermediate!
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
  #20  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

oooooooooooH i think i am IN LOVE!!!!! and i think i found my transmitter! yea here is the link!
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM
  #21  
Tinman
The Hot dog man
 
Tinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,584
Default

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
oooooooooooH i think i am IN LOVE!!!!! and i think i found my transmitter! yea here is the link!
Wow I've never seen a radio like thatt... single stick? Is it old?
Tinman is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 PM
  #22  
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required
 
Grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 12,070
Default

Says it was for helicopters
Grasshopper is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
  #23  
Tinman
The Hot dog man
 
Tinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,584
Default

Air beaters? I need to get a TREX do you have one I can get off of ya Tom?
Tinman is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
  #24  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Wow I've never seen a radio like thatt... single stick? Is it old?

well, if it was an am i would guess so but sense it is fm it is a little bit newer but it it is a little older then most transmitters because they stopped making signal stick transmitters with more than 3 channels years ago
but you can still get then used for a good price
spitfire is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 PM
  #25  
spitfire
Not the best
Thread Starter
 
spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A, deep south (GA)
Posts: 660
Default

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Says it was for helicopters


yes but people use them for airplanes
spitfire is offline  

Quick Reply: spitfire


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10267 seconds with 13 queries