Top Flite P51 Build and conversion - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Top Flite P51 Build and conversion

Old 10-12-2008, 01:51 PM
rgaynor

Got it - that makes sense. I am almost completed the wings. I decided to make a modification to the wing servos. I am mounting a servo for each aileron because a bellcrank adds too much slack in the controls. The plan also calls for two servos for the flaps - I plan to center mount one servo to control both flaps. It will be positions so that I again will not need to use bellcranks. I have my motor, but still need to buy the ESC and Robart retracts. I also plan to use the 4 standard size servos that came with my Spectrum 7000 radio. Still have a long way to go.

Ron

BTW - contrats on the F22 :-)
Old 10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Yes...I forgot that too mention that I also did the 1 servo per aileron mod :-)

For the flaps, I used 1 servo per flap and since the servos are mounted with the output shaft in the opposite position of each other, I had to use a servo reverser, I think Tower Hobbies has them, anyways...here is a link to the one that I am using.

http://www.e-clec-tech.com/seres.html

This way the control horn will move the flaps in the same direction.

Thanks for the kudos on the F22, will be flying her today as well.

Gord.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:08 PM
rgaynor

Interesting about how you hooked up the flaps. I was planning to use just one servo for both flaps. I plan to mount this servo in the wing center, just above the flaps. I will use a "Z" type bend in the wire for each flap and connect a control horn in the middle. This way, I will not need the servo reverse you mentioned. I figured that one servo would work well for flaps and help to save a little bit on the weight.

I am going to mount the aileron servos sideways on the plywood servo cover. This will give me better access to the servos. Just a thought.

BTW - I went out to our field today (30 mile drive) only having to turn around given the very strong winds - bummer. Happy flying!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 AM
rgaynor

Hi Gord - I have a couple of questions about your retracts. I assume that you went with the Robart 606. What struts did you use - the 671L & 671R?. For the tail wheel, did you use the Rotart 121 - what size tail wheel did you go with? Thanks again for your help. BTW - hope you had better flying weather yesterday then I did.
Ron
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Here is all the Robart parts that I used and prices in cdn dollars.

531RS 85 Degree Robostrut Ready $154.00
663L Left Offset for 3 3/4 - 4 inch wheels $ 65.00
663R Right Offset for 3 3/4 - 4 inch wheels $ 65.00
121 scale retract tail wheel $ 26.00
Had a 1-1/4 inch du-bro wheel on hand so I used it
165 3/8 inch air cylinder w/mounting bracket $ n/a
188VR variable rate air control kit $ 60.00
190 air line quick disconnect 2 or 3 in a pkg $ 12.00
169 pressure tubing 5' red 5' blue extra air lines $ 8.00
225 Brass Tee's 3 in a pkg $ 12.00

Grand total $402.00 not including taxes

Yikes that's the first time I added the Robarts parts up...lol well it's only money until you crash.

Speaking of which my Sapac F22 is no more...I was flying her WOT inverted and all of a sudden this tree jumped in front of my flight path and wham O...stripped the parts out and give what was left of the airframe to a fellow club member.

Here are the packs that I plan to get from hobbycity.com

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

When I started this project I knew that the current pricing of lipos would be a killer for this plane but now with off shore prices it seems not too bad.

I can also use the packs in my Logo 10 3D heli.

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:37 PM
rgaynor

Hi Gord - this is very helpful - thank you. I see that you bought extra tubing, Tee's and quick disconnect - did you need more than what was supplied in the 188VR kit? I am really sorry to hear about your F22. I hate it when trees jump out like that :-(

Ron
Old 10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
gwong

Hi Ron,

I bought the basic kit and it came with plastic tees so I upgraded to the brass tees. They are really expensive, I believe I paid $5.00 each. The extra air lines are for spares...hate running back and forth to the LHS plus they were cheap enough. The quick disconnects didn't come with my kit so I bought enough plus a few spares. Forgot to mention that I also bought the on board air pressure gauge part no. 173. I was using a bike pump to fill the tank but my bike pump was low volume low pressure. I bought the Robarts pump part no. 164G. It is a high pressue pump because you need to get your tank up to about 80psi. It works okay but some guys convert a 12v powered car tire pump to fill the tank...I might do the same as use the hand pump can get tiring.

Thanks for the condolences on the F22, after work I am going to the LHS to check out the Sapac JAS 39

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:24 AM
rgaynor

Hi Gord
Just checking in to see how you are coming with your P51. I just installed the retracts in my wing and am being the sheeting process. Please post pictures if you have any updates.

Ron
Old 10-31-2008, 05:30 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

The fall weather for Vancouver has been superb for the last 3 or 4 weekends, so I have been spending my time at the field flying , any spare time I have after work was spent building my Sapac Gripen which is almost ready to maiden. I almost bought a Multiplex Twister but promised myself no more planes until the Mustang is finished. In commitment to that as you know I received the ESC for it and today I purchased a Spektrum AR7000. After I maiden my Gripen, my concentration will be spent on the P51...Stay tuned

Which set of retracts did you decide to install?

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:29 PM
rgaynor

We just had our Huckfest flyin event at our field last weekend - check out the pictures http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944675

I decided to use 3 1/2 wheels and therefore went with the Robart 551 RS 85 degree and the Robart 662 l&R Robostruts. I am using the 4 Spectrum Digital DS821 servos that came with my Spectrum DX7 for the flaps and ailerons- not sure what I will use yet for the rudder/tail wheel and elevator. Iam looking forward to seeing more pictures. Happy flying
Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 AM
gwong

Cool huckfest...nice planes

Well the daylight hours are short and it gets pretty cold in the garage but I promised myself to finish my P51 for next April 2009.

READ MY LIPS...NO MORE KITS UNTIL AFTER MY P51 IS FINISHED

Gord
Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM
rgaynor

yeah yeah yeah - I have heard that line before :-)
Good luck with your promise.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Here are a few close up pics of the nose with the battery fitted loose in the compartment. Also thinking of mounting the ESC inside the motor mount frame. I will build a battery tray extending from the firewall...this way I can adjust the pack to get the correct cg.

I promise no more planes...(fingers crossed behind my back)

Cheers,

Gord.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TFP51 Battery Mounting 001.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	82910   Click image for larger version

Name:	TFP51 Battery Mounting 002.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	82911   Click image for larger version

Name:	TFP51 Battery Mounting 003.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	82912  
Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 PM
rgaynor

This looks good - how do you plan to circulate air around the esc and battery. Provisions also need to be made for the air to draft out somewhere in the rear of the body. Looks like I will have a challange with the battery since I plan to use 2 4S 5000 and am not sure if there will be enough room. any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 PM
gwong

Hi Ron,

I plan on cutting a hole in the front of the lower cowl, ie: the hole will ressemble the air scoop on the real P51, the airflow will exit out the hole for the tail wheel...I was thinking of making an exit vent for the radiator like on the real P51 as well. As for your 2 packs...I seen a thread of guy who converted a Top Flite Corsair to electric...his mod was to have the top half of the cowl separate from the fuselage. It's a great mod but lots of work. This would give you lots of room and easy access to the batteries.

I did a static test with an APC 15x10 prop and only went to half throttle as I have to balance the prop...but the short test proved that there should be lots of thrust to haul this bird around. Once the prop is balanced will do a WOT test and measure with a watt meter.

Gord
Old 11-07-2008, 01:55 PM
rgaynor

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing with the top mount. I will see if I can find that thread. BTW - I took your advise about lowering the landing gear mounts so that they are more flush with the skin bottom. There is a lot of modifications I am having to go through in order to strengthen the ribs - not fun. I was also thinking about putting a hole/cut out in the scoop for venting. Glad to see that the E-Flite 60 will provide the power you need.

Ron
Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

I found this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915130

Hope it helps.

Gord.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:36 AM
rgaynor

Hi Gord - thanks for sending the link. I thing cutting the top of my P51 to mount the battery tray will be a good solution for me. I plan to look around to see if there are any other threads out there. Have a great weekend and try to get some flying in.
Ron
Old 11-08-2008, 05:14 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

I found a few more links,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28..._1/key_/tm.htm

and

http://home.comcast.net/~keblair/P51D.htm

The rcuniverse one is pretty good, the later one okay

Our club is having the AGM this Sunday and I am doing the Financial report, guess they trust me with their money since I was voted in as the club's treasurer :-)

Weekend is looking kinda wet....maybe time to shopping for another airplane :-)

I hope you have better weather and get some stick time in.

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:41 AM
rgaynor

Gord
I have been reading these threads now for the last 2 1/2 hours!! You can really get tied up into this stuff. Thank you for sending these to me. I found one that has soom good pictures of how a fellow modeler is refinishing his 1/5 scale P51D. You may want to check this out:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#3150097

Cheers,
Ron
Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 AM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the link...now that is work makes my build look like a Sunday picnic...funny he is using the small automotive filler that I am. Used it to make the fillets.

Gord.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 AM
rgaynor

This was interesting to me. I am actually using Sheetrock Spackle to fill in small dents. It is very lightweight and easy to sand.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 AM
calven

Originally Posted by gwong View Post
Cool huckfest...nice planes

Well the daylight hours are short and it gets pretty cold in the garage but I promised myself to finish my P51 for next April 2009.

READ MY LIPS...NO MORE KITS UNTIL AFTER MY P51 IS FINISHED

Gord
Hey Gord, wanna buy a beaver
Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 AM
rgaynor

I will hold you to it. In the meantime, I have been reading through the other P51 forum and have picked on a few good tips. I just installed the landing gear into my wing and should be ready to skin. The landing gear became a project onto it's own given that I had to do a lot of cutting in order to get them to rest inside the wing. That said, the door still will not lay flat against the wing unless I use balsa filler to build up around that area.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
gwong

Hi Ron,

Well, I worked on her a bit this weekend...I found out the CG is way out. I have to put the battery way back into the fuselage...I might have to remove the wing to load and unload the battery. This is a bit annoying, the other alternative is to make a hatch out of the top cowl but this is more work than I anticipated.

How is yours going?

Gord.

Quick Reply: Top Flite P51 Build and conversion

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10311 seconds with 16 queries