Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Homer's the perfect pilot for that plane. I love it.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
mararra

Thumbs up

She's a beaut Curly ! Homer ain't scared, he's just excited about piloting such a gorgeous bird.
M
Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Wow Curly, that looks great.

Is Homer a true pilot figure, or did you improvise with another figurine?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
curly56

I improvised. It was a talking Homer that I found in the bargain bin at a toy store. I just cut him off where I wanted and hollowed him out as much as possible to save on weight.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement everyone!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
delsol

WOW - your Eva came out looking good!! Can't wait to here from Homer on the way she flies.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:09 AM
mararra

Default MM J-3 Pics

Finally got one of my old cameras workin. Here are a couple pics of my Cub less struts and side window plastic.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	J3Cub20708002.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	58750   Click image for larger version

Name:	J3Cub20708003.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	58751  
Old 03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
MLT67
Fly Da Best Sell The Rest

Here is a picture that Mike Parsons took while I was landing my Tyro 150. The kit is deisgned by Mike Molt and kitted by Mountain Models.

MLT

Name:	Tyro150 Landing.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	58819  
Old 03-16-2008, 10:23 PM
mararra

Smile J-3 Finished, ready for 1st flight!

Hers she is ready to roll. Had to make some last minute changes to the electrics as my esc and batteries are held up on a backorder from Hobby City for a month and a half. Ended up strippin a Mag 8 esc off my Steven's Stik. The motor is a Turnigy 2205, 1088 kv, 6 amp. Seems kinda small, but MM claims it doesn't need a lot of power. We'll see when the weather warms up, if it ever does . I'm strictly a fair weather flyer, minimum 40 degrees to get me out there!
I' ll let ya know how/if she flies, even take a vid if I can scrounge up a cameraman.

[/IMG] [/IMG]

Name:	J3Cubfinished31508001.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	59751   Click image for larger version

Name:	J3Cubfinished31508003.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	59752  
Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Extremely nice looking bird! Very well done indeed. I can't wait to hear about the maiden.

Where do you live? I see snow on the ground still.

It's spring time you know. I've already got some vegetables planted in my garden.

Frank
Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 PM
mararra

Default Halfway to the North Pole

I'm up in Traverse City, Michigan, half way to the North Pole!
Still fiddlin with pic attachments, sorry, I'll figure it out eventually
M
Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 PM
curly56

Marrara,

Nice looking Cub! Hope your snow melts soon and it warms up so you can fly. 40 degrees is about my limit, although I did fly one day this year when it was 20. Not much flying, mostly getting in the truck to thaw out the fingers, but it did cure my flying itch that day!

I keep looking at that Cub on the MM website, but haven't decided because I also have my eye on the P-51 and the Switchback Senior. Of course we do have that economic stimulus check coming in a couple of months, so maybe the patriotic thing to do would be to get all three of them so as to stimulate the economy and all.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
mararra

Default Maiden Flight of the MM J-3 Cub

On the way home from work yesterday the temp climbed to 40, so that melted the last excuse for keeping the J-3 in the hangar. Put the Cub in the car and took off to the field. Checked and rechecked all the usual preflight stuff, taxied around a bit, sniffed the wind and throttled up. The J-3 scooted down the runway and started to go left, I overcorrected :o, but just before disaster took over she lifted off. Wahoo!! Once airborne she's a well behaved machine. Just a little down trim and a touch of right and she was straight and level at just less than 1/2 throttle. After a few circuits at all speeds I brought her down without incident. Rechecked everything and took off again... verrry tricky with this bird. Best strategy I found was the old gun and go; you don't want to be rollin on the ground any longer than necessary. On my final landing I became aquainted with the infamous tip stall; first time I ever encountered it in my admittedly short flying career. I was about 10' up and settling towards a landing when a very light puff (headwind) bumped her, and she dropped the left wing and kissed the asphalt . But the only damage was a busted prop and a little scuff on the wing! Sorry, no cameraman for a vid, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
I am officially declaring the maiden a success!
M
Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
mararra

Originally Posted by curly56 View Post
Marrara,

Nice looking Cub! Hope your snow melts soon and it warms up so you can fly. 40 degrees is about my limit, although I did fly one day this year when it was 20. Not much flying, mostly getting in the truck to thaw out the fingers, but it did cure my flying itch that day!

I keep looking at that Cub on the MM website, but haven't decided because I also have my eye on the P-51 and the Switchback Senior. Of course we do have that economic stimulus check coming in a couple of months, so maybe the patriotic thing to do would be to get all three of them so as to stimulate the economy and all.
Thanks Curly.
I can definately recommend the Cub; well engineered and complete kit, lots of fun to build and easy for a novice with a little experience. I really like the looks of the Switchback Sr, it will probably be my first balsa build next winter, got a couple of ARF's ( Fokker D VII and Catalina PBY) that will keep me busy till then. That P-51 is awsome, but might be a bit more than I can handle at this early stage in my buildin career. I agree, there will be a whole lot a stimulatin goin on at the LHS this summer .

fly high and fly well !
M
Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Originally Posted by mararra View Post
Thanks Curly.
I can definately recommend the Cub; well engineered and complete kit, lots of fun to build and easy for a novice with a little experience. I really like the looks of the Switchback Sr, it will probably be my first balsa build next winter, got a couple of ARF's ( Fokker D VII and Catalina PBY) that will keep me busy till then. That P-51 is awsome, but might be a bit more than I can handle at this early stage in my buildin career. I agree, there will be a whole lot a stimulatin goin on at the LHS this summer .

fly high and fly well !
M
The P-51 was my first kit build. It's not too bad.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 AM
mararra

Thumbs up

That's good news gnasher! My goal is to get good enough to build and fly the warbirds; been dreamin of it since I was a little kid and that little kid is still dreamin somewhere inside this old codger.
M
Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Thought I would share this with y'all if you don't get over to RCG much. Mountain models is currently number 2 on the top 10 favorite RC Plane Builders list of all time (electrics of course). That's quite the testament of the quality of their kits. See the link in post number one for the original 74. But they are coming up fast.

Frank
Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Mararra ... you built the J-3 ... I have no doubt you could build the P-51.

Also, this P-51 design is unique in that it's got extremely light wing-loading so it isn't as difficult to fly as the P-51 has a reputation to be. The AUW comes out around 15oz, and something like 9g/sqft wingloading ... that's silly light. The only 'challenging' bit of the MM P-51 is that it's fairly pitch sensitive ... so keep the throws REAL small on the elevator ... and get the CG 1/4" or so ahead of the spar.

Here's a link to my build thread:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26844
Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 AM
mararra

Thumbs up

Gnascher, fabulous build thread on your P-51. I'm gonna try one eventually. Got your thread bookmarked !

M
Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
SKYPILEIT
~ I respect the roll ~

Default New Dandy GT

If spring ever arrives I'll be able to do the maiden flight,we just got 4 inches of new snow...

Last edited by SKYPILEIT; 06-03-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Thorn3
Just do it!

Default MM/LA P-51 build

Hello all. I am building an MM/LA P-51 in a build thread on RCgroups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614984

The kits made by MM/LA are excellent to work with. P-51 kit #1 was a good experience to really get to know the model. Kit #2 is highly modified. I would like to see a P-51 kit come out that is a bit larger.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 AM
JoeinWellie

Default Southern Hemisphere EVA Sport

Just thought I'd add my EVA Sport pic to the appreciation society. My son and I are building a C 180 and I am ordering a P51 next week, oh and I have an EZ Cub... Pics of the C180 and EZ will follow.

Just one question - how hard is it to fly the P51... I am happily and competently flying the EZ Cub (ailerons) although I found the EVA a little "sporty" and it has donated it's electronics to the Cub and is hanging in the garage until I am more competent. (I had to buy the P51, or I'll not have anything to build......)

Name:	IMG_6098.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	83912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6099.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	83913  
Old 11-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Thorn3
Just do it!

JoeinWellie: The stock P-51 build is not difficult to fly. Although, she is very responsive! You may want to keep her on low rates if she feels too sporty.

Nice work on the EVA.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Nice job Joe. She looks great!

Frank
Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Forge

JoeinWellie,

Nice EVA, I also built one with my son over this past summer. A great kit, and my first complete build in over 35 years. Here's a shot of mine, along with the build thread I posted. It is sporty, very maneuverable plane.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36565

It's a small world, I also just order the Mountain Models P-51 and I am looking forward to my next build too. I'm supposed to get it this Tuesday, I may post up a build thread in the "Scratch and Kit Build" forum, although there is at least one other build thread on this plane. It looks like a good kit, I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck with yours!

Forge

Name:	IMG_5298.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	84035  
Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Default Looking for opinions

OK, all you Mountain Model fans. I could use some thoughts. I am gearing up for my 2008-2009 winter build, and there are 3 Mountain Model kits in the running:

J-3 Cub 1/9th Scale: http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=472

Clipped Wing Cub 1/9th Scale: http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=477

Lucky Ace: http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=589 (If I choose this, it will be a taildragger)

Of the three, I am very seriously leaning towards the Clipped Wing Cub. What I am looking for is opinions/thoughts/dialogue from those that have built and/or flown any of these three.

This will be my second build; first was a stick-built Miss Stik Junior. I think the laser cut idea would be even better for me. (Meaning easier for me to build straight so she flies straight! )

Quick Reply: Mountain Models/Laser Arts Appreciation Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12299 seconds with 20 queries