Simple Stick. Super Deal. - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

cool
Old 05-06-2008, 06:03 PM
dburks1329

Default Simple stick

I built a simple stick last year right before winter. I put a cheap bell motor on it I got from ebay with a 2400 amp 11.1 v lipo in it. The only flight I got in last year due to weather and the new baby went bad. I tried it out for the second flight this past weekend after making repairs to the tail. 5 mins into the first flight I burned out the motor completely. It had smoke coming out. So yesterday I drove to Hobby lobby and bought two of the atlas 2909/16 brushless motors that they had on sale for $19.99 each. I then ordered a 40 amp ESC off of ebay today and expect to have this plane screaming around this weekend. For the few mins that it was flying the other day I was doing great.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
michael7810

I bought 2 of these planes last year; build one with wheels and one without for grass flying. Both have Dymond 450 BL motors and fly very well with 10X3.8SF and 2100ma lipo (20+ minutues flight time). The gearless version has since been retired for parts. The firewall kept breaking trying to land on grass. The wheel version is my best park flyer. I recommend beefing up the landing gear support and replacing the wire with aluminum gear. The wire is very flimsy; the aluminum is bulletproof. I also ended up replacing the wood stick mount with a stiffer plastic mount from eflight. The wood mount flexed quite a bit on takeoff and I had trouble controlling it on the ground. Now I can apply full throttle and it tracks straight down the runway with a touch of right rudder. The red packing tape looks more like pink after being applied. It's pretty thin and the white foam turns the red into pink. I covered mine with clear packing tape except for the control surfaces are checkerboard and red. It turned out nice. Good luck with your simple sticks; if mine ever dies I'll try the mini ultra stick but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I've yet to order one but in the near future. I was all about a 3D plane but after a recent humbling experience I think I need to wear out a good sport plane first. Anybody have any pics .
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Here's my only picture of mine. Flies great and I fly it pretty often but I just don't think it's photogenic!! LOL!! It is just painted raw foam. I did cut in a CF tube across the wing but that's all. I use a a KDA22-20L and a 9X7.5 GWS DD prop with LM 2250 3s lipos. All I did was cut in the cf tube after epoxying the wing halves together. Used a X-Acto saw to seperate the ailerons from the wing (nice clean straight cuts!). Tried to use the tape on the tail - ended up throwing out the original tail section and cutting out a new one from blucor. No covering at all - just a little hot glue and install the electronics and away we go!! Oh - ok - I lied cause I forgot I did replace the LG wire with 1/8 piano wire - much better!! But that's it!! LOL!!

Hillbille
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Simple_Stick.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	65098  
Old 05-07-2008, 03:56 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Watt are you talking about Hillbille...I think it looks great
Old 05-07-2008, 04:19 AM
michael7810

Here's a few pics of mine showing the mods: stick to mount motor, heavier landing gear, servos moved to aft fuselage, clear tape vs stock red tape. The battery hatch cover is the stock red tape that looks pink on my other stick. Have fun. Mike

Name:	IMG_6855.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	65113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6856.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	65114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6857.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	65115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6858.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	65116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6859.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	65117  

Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

And another great looking stick, thanks for sharing guys. I wish they would go on sale again.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:44 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Default Finally

I finally have gotten around to building this plane after buying the kit last year. I'm planning on using an Esskay 400XT motor with a 20 AMP ESC and a 3 cell 2000 Mah or 2 cell 1650 Lipo. Weight comes in at 25oz with the 3 cell or 22 with a 2 cell 1650 Mah lipo. I have various 8 and 9 inch props to try with the 3 cell and a few 10 inch props to try with the 2 cell. CG is right on with the 3 cell and a smidge further back with the 2 cell (but still in range with the specs in the manual). Hope to fly this stick soon. Here is a peek.

Name:	DSCN3070.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	72010  
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Nice job Gary, let us know how the maiden goes.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:01 AM
unloco2

Default Way over priced

I bought 3 last year for my group of fliers,(we don't consider ourselves a club), one was intended for me, but our oldest guy kept bugging me, so I sold him mine. If the prices get back to reasonable, $20.00, I will buy 3 more. This time, one for me period. The other guys said that the planes were not very strong, however, 2 are still flying. At $20, I can afford to experiment and have a good time doing it,at almost $40, forget it. I truly don't understand this weird pricing practice by Hobby People. Can anybody explain it?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

All of the online hobby dealers seem to have some strange counter-productive pricing policies lately. Some prices have doubled and tripled. It's my guess they are trying to pass on the price of fuel and other costs to the consumer. It's my feeling that in the end this will be the wrong approach. Some will adapt to volume selling to keep prices low and others will fold. The only way to compete with the still cheap goods from overseas will be to sell ALOT of product cheaper than most others. You may see prices rising even from places like hobbycity.com because they are opening warehouses in the US.

On another note...
I still haven't maidened this plane. I have never flown anything with aerilons before and am a bit apprehensive considering the fragility of the fuse. I guess I should JUST DO IT! :o
Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BatteriesIncluded View Post
All of the online hobby dealers seem to have some strange counter-productive pricing policies lately. Some prices have doubled and tripled. It's my guess they are trying to pass on the price of fuel and other costs to the consumer. It's my feeling that in the end this will be the wrong approach. Some will adapt to volume selling to keep prices low and others will fold. The only way to compete with the still cheap goods from overseas will be to sell ALOT of product cheaper than most others. You may see prices rising even from places like hobbycity.com because they are opening warehouses in the US.

On another note...
I still haven't maidened this plane. I have never flown anything with aerilons before and am a bit apprehensive considering the fragility of the fuse. I guess I should JUST DO IT! :o
No fear Gary...it's just foam .
Old 09-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by BatteriesIncluded View Post
The sad truth is everything is going up in price. The hobby vendors are just now catching up.

On another note...
Just go fly man. I too was apprehensive about flying the Simple Stick I had. I got over it. The thing flies well and is super easy to repair. Some glue, tape and fly. The only truly bad thing is the super weak landing gear wire.

Have fun, let us know how it goes!

Last edited by Twmaster; 12-18-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:31 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I am going to get this and use:
eflite 480
36 amp esc
2s 2100mah lipo
4 hs-55's

I plane on making it an aerobat.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Davey

I have been flying the simple stick for a few months. My second plane and my first plane with alerion (sp?). I have had very good sucess with it and have tried many motor, battery, and prop combos. From a 370 with 1200 lipo weighing in at 21 oz to a 450 with 1800 lipo weighing in at 24 oz. The latter is the best combo by far using a 9x75 slow fly prop. I found the plane easy to learn and progress on as it gives confidence when trying new aerobatics. My main knock on the plane is that rolls are ugly and slow. I don't think it makes a good aerobat with any combination. You might want to try a mid or low wing plane with a symetrical wing profile instead. I have been having a lot of fun with this plane though.

I just bought a e-flite extra and am in build. I hope I am not taking too big of a leap. This is my first post as I have been reading this thread for a while.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by Davey View Post
My main knock on the plane is that rolls are ugly and slow....
Heh, sounds like my initial flight report. Good first aileron plane. Liked mine a lot until it's demise.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default great plane

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
I am going to get this and use:
eflite 480
36 amp esc
2s 2100mah lipo
4 hs-55's

I plane on making it an aerobat.
that is the setup I use benvisoff, and Ilove it.
my propellor is an apc 11x7.

I have nothing bad to say about this plane. This is my go-to bird when everything else is grounded 'cause of wind.
Mine is modified a little bit. The previous owner squared up and enlarged the tail feathers and extended the aelerons w/ balsa.

Name:	P1120226.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	87155  
Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

i meant 3s lipo. 2s is for sissies. and a 10X7-10X10
Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

i meant 3s lipo. 2s is for sissies. and a 10X7-10X10
haha - what a coincidence. I totally missed the fact that your first description said 2 cell.

I don't think 7.4 volts would get more than 20 seconds of flight time
Old 12-19-2008, 05:32 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I saw like that yardbird rc thing in your pictures, max2112, and I have had my eyes on one of those for a long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long time. and it took me a long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long time to post this.

Last edited by benovisoff; 12-19-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Davey

Default Crashed it

Merry Christmas all! I am writing to report that my Simpe Stick flying career ended yesterday with a crash. 5 minutes into a flight the wing bands snapped seperating the wing from the plane while in a turn. The wing fluttered harmlessly to the ground while the fuse lawn darted full throttle into the ground destroying the front half. Worst was it destroyed a brand new lipo. I had to dig the motor and firewall out of the ground as it was completly buried. It could be repaired with a lot of work but I don't know if I want to do that. Oh well, lots of fun while it lasted. This was the perfect plane to learn alieron. Lesson learned that I can pass along to all is REPLACE YOUR BANDS REGULARLY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Twmaster

Sorry to hear you lost your stick.

I used to use 4 #64 bands and replace them every trip to the field.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default Sorry for the delayed reply.

I saw like that yardbird rc thing in your pictures, max2112, and I have had my eyes on one of those for a long long ... time.
Sorry for the non-answer, benovisoff. We went home for the Christmas, and we've been super busy visiting family back home. But we're back!

I am a big fan of the YardBird F-22. They are cheap and very easy to fly. It is tied with the SimpleStik and the E-flite P47 as my all-time favorite plane.

I've been thinking of using my Stik to get into arial photography.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Ok. Are those eflite p47s discontinued? I thought they would work great with my extra 450 bl motor lying around, but I can't get one anywhere. Oh well, I can't fly anyway, in many senses of the term

Quick Reply: Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10463 seconds with 19 queries