SSOS (a Slow Stick build thread) - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

SSOS (a Slow Stick build thread)

Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 AM
SAVS

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
I first noticed that the fiberglass rods supplied with the kit are flimsy and will allow too much flex. I will use carbon fiber rods that will eliminate the flexing of the wing. With a camera strapped below the CG, the wings in stock form are vulnerable to folding.

The pictures below show the steps I used for the wing brace as well as a comparison of the carbon fiber vs fiberglass rods.

Here is a good source for the carbon fiber tubes:

http://www2.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=MIDR5723&P=7

Dave
Just by chance I ordered 4 wrong size "Carbon Fiber Tubes" .196" OD x .121" ID x 24". What I found was if I cut the 2 shorter kit provided fiberglass rods in half (giving me 4 rods) they fit exactly into the metal angled pieces AND the new CFR's snugly. I just rolled the ends of the cut fiberglass rods in GGlue and pushed them all together. I must say it looks factory made.

CFR's purchased from OmniModels.com $4.79/ea
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CFR Replacement.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	25747  
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 AM
SAVS

After both wing braces are complete, its time to install them on the wing. I use some good fiber reinforced strapping tape. The braces were glued in with 5 min. epoxy and taped as the pictures show. This will add some weight but the advantage of strength is whats needed.
Dave
Dave, do you think I can use GGlue instead of the epoxy?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

ya, GG is another alternative. Were the tubes I mentioned the wrong size?

Dave
Old 03-07-2007, 03:30 AM
SAVS

The link you have posted sent me to the size I purchased but they did not slip over the metal tube, they were the same OD & ID. I like it better, no thread, looks clean...You did me a favor as I did not have any thread HA-Ha-ha...

I also got the Depron but they only had 3mm so I GG'ed two sheets together. I will cut them tomorrow using the great templets you posted...Denny
Old 03-07-2007, 03:33 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I see where I went wrong....

The OD is .196 - I should have referenced the ID should be .196.

So what your saying is that this will work out OK? Does it feel quite strong?

My bad. I'll edit that post and reference yours for an alternative.

Sorry about that and also I am glad that it worked out. Keep us posted on your progress

dave
Old 03-07-2007, 03:38 AM
SAVS

I see where I went wrong....

The OD is .196 - I should have referenced the ID should be .196.

So what your saying is that this will work out OK? Does it feel quite strong?

My bad. I'll edit that post and reference yours for an alternative.

Sorry about that and also I am glad that it worked out. Keep us posted on your progress

dave
I think it is an improvement on the build and you get the credit!!! The fit is tight all the way around and as soon as the GG swells a bit it should be tighter than a 1/2 inch dowel in a 1/4 inch round hole.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Weight

I finally weighed the SS and here are the results:

(I have a 3 cell 2200 mah Lipo, you could go smaller if you want to lighten up)

My camera weighs 4.3 oz w/ batteries. You will have to add the weight of your own camera to this for final AUW.

* No camera is included in the weight below *

Weight With Camera Mount: 30.4 oz

Weight Without Camera Mount: 26.4 oz

Dave
Old 03-07-2007, 11:30 PM
tallflyer
Robert V

WOW That's heavy I think my Slowstick with my AP setup comes in at at half the weight! I will have to check!

my brushless setup is 23oz

Last edited by tallflyer; 04-12-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Well the wings are Fiber taped with carbon rods, alot of guys fly their SS stock which works, but an emergengy high-G turn and they will most likely fold with the camera weight resting at the CG. When I fly AP I take off near vertical and land almost the same given the surroundings. I cant afford to have a wing failure with several hundred dollars riding beneath it.

The positive thing to remember is that the weight helps the airplane penetrate wind better than a lighter model. With that much wing area the wing loading is still minimal.

Dave
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

Yep, a strong wing = priceless for AP!
I don't have a scale but I'd say our SS's are about the same weight. It moves right on out compared to a stock version! It'll be even worse when I add two more Futaba servos and the new receiver (Tower finally got off their keister and they arrived today).
Flyer
Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
SAVS

I got the backend parts cut out last night from the 6mm Dupron and glued the CFR's to the wings. Just adding the rods the wings are really stable. I did have options on rod placement for the front of the wings. I could have placed them along the bottom of the wing but they seem to fit better as sort of a bumper on the top front edge. I don't know if it will hamper the flight but it sure will stop any front edge wing damage. For the back I fit the rods under the edge. All glued now just a bit of tape and they should be complete.

I had ordered the #EFL2255 Landing Gear:Mini UltraSt (Aluminum) because the CF ones are back ordered. They have a 12" width but are very light and the wheels come included, nice soft rubber ones. As I get along I will post some pictures.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
quailbird

Actually, the SS has no trouble with extra weight. It makes it penetrate the wind better and seems to fly a little smoother. Of course, it's not made to carry 3 or 4 bricks, but it hauls plenty of weight especially when it's beefed up with braces. It is one of the great all time planes!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:55 PM
JustinD123

Default SS mods

So with the extra weight with the camera and everything. A outrunner that runs about 30 oz of thrust with an 11 inch prop should work well and bring the ss up a good altitude? What kind of outrunners are you guys using. I was looking at the 400xt.

Justin - i will post my pics from my build as i start gathering parts.

I was also thinking about using the elevator and making a covered rudder from my brio 10 setup that i crashed (not a good first plane) rudder and elevator are about the same size as the stock SS. Tell me what you all think.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:56 AM
SAVS

Dave, Ok' I have the new horiz stab pieces cut, the rod along the trailing edge is for what? How is the hinge made and how did you connect the 2 up down flaps together?

It looks like a rod was notched in and glued maybe. Also the hindge for the verticle stab (probable the same method as the horiz one).

I'm using this link for my build: http://www.ampaviators.com/articlessos/index03.htm
Not using all of it but most...Denny
Old 03-09-2007, 03:58 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Justin,

I think your right on target with the motor, the one I picked is about the same power. As for the tail, I say go for it. Its already made and might make it look cooler!

oh yea, make sure your lipo and esc can support the motors need for juice.

Dave
Old 03-09-2007, 04:07 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

ahh Denny, your showing the parts I skipped...lol

I used clear packing tape for the hinge. You can pick it up at wallyworld for a couple bucks. I beveled the edge of the moving surface (~45 degrees) and taped one side of it. For the elevator, I used a round dowel to connect the left and right side. If you can wait until tomorow evening, I will post good pictures showing this.

Dont forget to add the Carbon fiber strip along the back of the horizontal stab...

Dave
Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 AM
SAVS

No problem waiting til tomorrow, it's 11:30ish here and tomorrow is another day...Denny
Old 03-09-2007, 04:21 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SAVS View Post
No problem waiting til tomorrow, it's 11:30ish here and tomorrow is another day...Denny
Yes, thats right! I am enjoying a couple glasses of wine right now myself

I'll take some good descriptive photos for you to clear those questions up.

have a good one

Dave
Old 03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
JustinD123

Dave
I should be good im going to use a thunder power 2200mah 11.1 that i took out of my wreckage. I need to find a plane that i can use my power ten outrunner and 40amp esc though. HA

Justin
Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 PM
JustinD123

I have my SS with an aluminum Fuse and now im trying to get another SS the new one with fiberglass for my extreme build. Damn these planes are hard to find with availability. Looking for a yellow one.. hopefully i can match the scheme with my covered tail and rudder.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
JustinD123

Where are all you people located from. I noticed snow! Im in Delaware

Justin
Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Balil
foam murderer :D

justind123 where are you at? my lhs has like 3-4 yellow ones with the fiberglass fuse with a 480 motor. i paid $35 for my red one, although i had my controls reversed and it met its end in a loop right after take-off
Old 03-09-2007, 01:56 PM
JustinD123

Thats no good. Im in Delaware. there arnt to many hobby shops here (2) in the whole state that are even worth while and the ones that are have practically no parts that i can use for upgrades.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:37 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Snow is melting here in Iowa

The snow should be gone by today or tomorrow. I am planning on a flight(s) with the slowstick and will have some inflight video of it as well.

I believe spring is starting to emerge.....finally!

Dave
Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 PM
JustinD123

After i replace the shaft in my stock 350 brushed today ill be flying as much as how fast i can charge the batts. 40 degrees and 2mph wind !!!!! hopefully building a steriod plane soon though!!

Quick Reply: SSOS (a Slow Stick build thread)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10996 seconds with 12 queries