Blade CP Pro surge issue... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Blade CP Pro surge issue...

Old 10-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Question Blade CP Pro surge issue...

Hey guys and gals!

I've been working on Radd's Flight School for about a week...

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

...and now I can sustain a low-altitude hover in an area the size of a two-car garage. Low altitude, as in, about two feet up in the air for about a minute. Yippie!

But I have a problem, and I've searched this forum for a solution and couldn't find anything except 'sticky collective'. Every now and then, my Blade CP Pro will rev up for an instant. It's pretty unnerving if I'm not expecting it (and when am I?), and dangerous if I'm doing something like aligning my blades. Here's a few examples, so ya knowes what I'm talkin' about.

One time, my helicopter surged without any input from the radio (throttle was down, radio was across the garage while I was close to the helicopter) and it twisted the rotor around and folded the blades neatly against the shaft - it happened so fast that the blades didn't even have a chance to spin up. No harm was done, I simply pulled the blades out and continued with the Radd tutorial.

Another time, I was hovering in the garage and the helicopter span up full-blast for a moment. The heli rose about a foot, which caused me to panic and land roughly. Popped out a couple of skid supports, but I was able to pop them back into place.

Today, I was aligning and balancing my new Plasti-Blade rotor blades. The heli surged and spun up the main rotor for a moment while I was supporting the underside and getting ready to spin up, and it scared the crap out of me. I threw my undies in the washer, took a quick shower, and then finished balancing and aligning the blades.

Anyhoo, you can probably gather that this isn't a 'sticky collective' problem. It's some sort of electrical problem, and I can't isolate it down to any component or condition (electrical interference, EMI/RFI, other radios in the area, etc). It happens completely at random, and it only happens for an instant (fraction of a second). It accelerates the main rotor in a similar fashion as if I'd powered down the radio for a split second.

Has anybody else had this problem? More importantly, has anybody else found a solution to this problem? I'd like to know how to alleviate this problem, because I like my fingers and want to keep them all. Preferably attached to my hands.

Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:29 AM
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

Hummm... sounds like "glitching" to me... (one of my blade pros does it occasionally). Also, if the TX is turned off while the heli is plugged in, you'll see the same reaction (could the TX have weak bats? Replace them, or at least reseat them.)... always plug the birdie up with the TX on... and unplug the birdie before turning the TX off. And always fly with the TX antenna fully extended.

As far as glitching, you could try to re-route, or re-wrap the antenna (where the antenna passes over carbon fiber - like the landing gear leg - it effectively shortens the effective length) and use a ferrite core on the power leads. Try taking the antenna totally loose, and re-wrap it neatly on the gear without passing it over itself... and leave the last six to eight or so inches loose (and straighten that trailing lead as much as possible).

Let me know what you find out.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Gino

It is not a common problem for the CP or CP pro. I am pretty sure your setup is factory. Contact E-Flite. That is not normal and you shouldn't live (or die!) with it. Remedies can be dangerous because you might be complacent when it finally glitches again.

Oh, never adjust blades with the battery connected.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Thanks for the info!

I'll try rerouting the antenna on the helicopter and just take it from there. Maybe it's the batteries, since it appeared to start hiccuping after I changed from the batteries that came with the heli to Energizer alkaline batteries (although I still have a full battery gauge on the radio). It's still a new helicopter, so this is the first change of batteries I had to make! If the problem persists, I may be giving E-Flite a holler because I like my helicopter best when it's in one piece.

Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 PM
patch

Default cp power surge

Hi Lawn Dart.

I have had the exact same power surge problem with my cp pro from the moment I put the first battery in, (two weeks ago,)

It seems to be much worst if I don't extend the antenna fully.

I called e-flight support and they agreed this was a dangerous situation. The tech' said it could be interference from using the heli indoors, ( I have not yet used it outside) The garage you are flying in, does it have a metal roof?

They are sending me a new receiver to try, if this doesn't work he told me to call back ( a process of elimination by replacing parts is his approach)

Were did you get plastic rotor blades ?

Patch.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:28 AM
steven0718

Default Any suggestions ?

Hi,
I just joined WattFlyer today after sending the following to E-flight.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Blade CP
4 in 1 control unit EFLH1027A
Transmitter model:E8 freq:72.870

I've tried everything I know
I've tweaked the gain
I've disconnected the servo control arms, powered up, powered down and re-attached the control arms.
and now I ask you.

1. I turn on my transmitter with new batteries.
2. I plug a fully charged battery into my CP.

Then my problem
The 3 servos fluctuate wildly,
quiver in an extreme position and make a electrical arching sound,
and some times the main motor goes into high speed without transmitter input...
a few days ago that broke my antenna and tail rotor.

Why does this happen and what can I do to fix it???
Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

If you live near power lines or cel/pager towers, you can pick up spurious signals. Try the same thing somewhere away from you're currently flying to see if it clears.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:02 PM
steven0718

Default Still gotta problem

Hey XuzMe,
Thank you for your quick reply to my problem.

I've tried powering up at three separate locations.
Neither location was near a comm tower or power lines.

I did narrow it down to a comms problem between the transmitter and heli.
There is no fluctuation if the transmitter is not turned on.

Any other ideas for me to try?
Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Alpha_&_Omega
Too many birds

Originally Posted by steven0718 View Post
Hey XuzMe,

Steve
go for a spectrum setup with an ar6100(e) and a dx6i or better. I promise you will never surge again.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:09 PM
dsmtuned

Originally Posted by steven0718 View Post
Hey XuzMe,

Steve

I have found where the power lines are buried in my street with my CP Pro. It makes for some wild times while I'm trying to learn nose in hovering. Yeah I'm going to need to get some new blades after yesterday's mishap...

-Craig
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
steven0718

ThankX.

I bought a $34 computer flight sim with controller similar to the blade transmitter.

It helped me with nose in flying.