Hyperion Cub 10e Build - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Old 10-07-2006, 06:34 AM
QuietRCFly

Just a couple more observations:

It looks like it will be closer to balanced with the 2100 mAH battery. It is tail heavy with the 1500.

The gear struts are not very good. I was installing the battery and I put a little pressure on one and it just snapped off. It just glued right back on. I had actually considered leaving them off. The wings struts are fine, as they are screwed in.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:45 AM
clarinetjd

Originally Posted by QuietRCFly View Post
And my personal favorite.
Precious!

Great job on the build photos (especially this one!).

Can't wait to hear about the maiden. Any chance for video?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:03 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by jdriza View Post
Precious!

Great job on the build photos (especially this one!).

Can't wait to hear about the maiden. Any chance for video?
Sorry, no video. My buddy who usually brings the video camera decided not to show!

I will post pics and give a review in a little while.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
QuietRCFly

Default Maiden Flight Report

Realizing I have flown very little this year, since I have been focusing on getting the business up and running, I let my friend takeoff and trim it out for me before handing me the controls. We only needed a little down trim to keep it flying level at the desired cruising speed, but probably did not even need to trim the plane.

This is a very stable flyer! While Cubs are not typically considered good trainers, this was extremely stable, with good self correcting tendancies and would not be bad at all as a trainer. Very smooth and very easy to fly. It also had good stall charateristics. The Cub taxied over the (very short) grass runway without a problem. It has the same size wheels as the Hyperion P-51, which also flies great off of this runway, but had troubles at a runway with longer grass. So I would recommend short grass or smooth surface.

The Hyperion 16C 2100mAh battery was perfect for balancing the plane, but was almost as far forward as we could get it. The 1500 would be lighter, but you might have to add a little balast to the nose to balance get the right CG. I did not time it, but I believe we flew for 8-10 minutes and still had 11.5v left on the battery, so you will get excellent flight times with the 2100 under normal flying. I don't think we flew it much at more than half throttle.

This is nice, easy flying plane and looks great. I would highly recommend this kit (and not just because I sell them). I don't think you would be dissapointed. I don't know that it would be a great first plane, but maybe a second plane and/or aileron trainer, it would be perfect.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:40 PM
QuietRCFly

Here is the battery in the installed through the hatch.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:43 PM
QuietRCFly

Default Pictures from the maiden flight

Old 10-07-2006, 08:44 PM
QuietRCFly

Default More maiden flight pics

Old 10-07-2006, 08:45 PM
QuietRCFly

Default And my ugly mug after the flight!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:47 PM
QuietRCFly

Sorry, I meant to get the AUW, but my buddy forgot his scale. I really need to get a new one! I will either borrow or buy one early next week and report back.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
QuietRCFly

Thanks for following the thread and please let me know if you have any questions about anything I failed to mention or any comments.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Tintin

Super report Chris, Now I'm really looking forward to getting mine airborne.
Is it possible to use slightly bigger wheels to be able to take off not only from "greens", it irritates the local golfers when I do
Old 10-08-2006, 04:57 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Is it possible to use slightly bigger wheels to be able to take off not only from "greens", it irritates the local golfers when I do
Yes, you could easily use bigger wheels.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Terry Rigden
Mode 1 flier

Chris

thansk for an excellent build thread. Looking forward to finding out what the AUW is.

Regards

Terry Rigden
Old 10-10-2006, 01:08 AM
QuietRCFly

Default Auw

OK, here is the AUW.

As flown, with the Hyperion 11.1v 2100mAh 16C Lipo: 27.6 oz
With the recommended Hyperion 11.1V 1500mAh 20C Lipo: 26.3 oz
Plane without battery: 22.0 oz

Note: Both batteries had Deans Ultra connectors.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 AM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by QuietRCFly View Post
OK, here is the AUW.

As flown, with the Hyperion 11.1v 2100mAh 16C Lipo: 27.6 oz
With the recommended Hyperion 11.1V 1500mAh 20C Lipo: 26.3 oz
Plane without battery: 22.0 oz
I think I mentioed this earlier, but the 2100mAh battery got was the closest to the proper CG. With the recommended 1500 and a Tanic 1550, the model was tail heavy.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Tintin

Thanks Chris, then I'll order some so I can use the same grass field I use for helis. Great that it balances well with the 2100 pack as I have 4 from my TRex that I then can use.

Started building yesterday. Got the ailerons in place as well as aileron servos.

Looks like it's gonna be a great littel machine
Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 PM
stents3

Hi guys Just thought I'd pop in on this thread. Really great. I'm just finishing up my build of the Cub,should maiden it this weekend(weather permitting). The bottom line is the overall appearance and of course the flying characteristics of the Cub. Should be, by all accounts, a gentle flyer and a lot of fun. It will be a welcome change for me as I'm now flying the Ultrafly Ultimate bipe and the Katana Mini( you really have to stay on the sticks with thiese birds).I bought the Hyperion Cub because I've always loved the classic lines of a cub and this one just fit the bill. I've been following this thread and can say how much it has incurrouged me to first buy and build this guy. Looking forward to a "change of pace" flying. Will try to post some pictures (just sold my digital camera and am in the processes of ordering another ) as soon as possible. Once again ,thanks for a great build thread.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:58 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by stents3 View Post
Hi guys Just thought I'd pop in on this thread. Really great. I'm just finishing up my build of the Cub,should maiden it this weekend(weather permitting). The bottom line is the overall appearance and of course the flying characteristics of the Cub. Should be, by all accounts, a gentle flyer and a lot of fun. It will be a welcome change for me as I'm now flying the Ultrafly Ultimate bipe and the Katana Mini( you really have to stay on the sticks with thiese birds).I bought the Hyperion Cub because I've always loved the classic lines of a cub and this one just fit the bill. I've been following this thread and can say how much it has incurrouged me to first buy and build this guy. Looking forward to a "change of pace" flying. Will try to post some pictures (just sold my digital camera and am in the processes of ordering another ) as soon as possible. Once again ,thanks for a great build thread.
Good luck with your maiden. I think you will like the change of pace, as it is a really gently flyer.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Smooth Spanky

Chris:
Congrats with the maiden and thanks for all the pics. Mine still is sitting in the box...doggone job keeps getting in the way of my fun!

Have the buddy bring his video camera. Must...have.....video....
Old 10-11-2006, 01:26 AM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Smooth Spanky View Post
Chris:
Congrats with the maiden and thanks for all the pics. Mine still is sitting in the box...doggone job keeps getting in the way of my fun!

Have the buddy bring his video camera. Must...have.....video....
I just know if he does that, I'll pitch it into the ground and have to do the "repair thread". Its one of those Murphy's Law things!:o
Old 10-11-2006, 05:51 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Nice job and thanks for the thread. I am inspired to finish my Cub now.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:02 PM
stents3

Hi guys Well I was able to get in a few flights this morning at the local school I fly at. Maiden flight was hairy,she rolled severly to the left on lift off.I was able to gain control with a lot of right rudder and got her up to where I trimmed it out. Nice and steady,a pleasure to fly. I noticed she still rolled to the left when power was applied,and it accured to me that there was'nt any right or down thrust built in to the motor mount. I'm using the Ultrafly FRIO 10 which is rated at about 150 watts,so it's diffinitely torgue causing the problem. I'll try shimming the motor to get some right and down thrust dialed in. I'll see if I can get back out tomorrow and see how it goes.I figured I'd just mention the "thrust problem" for what it's worth. Maybe anyone who's still in the building stage may want to look at this.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:11 AM
ozzybear

I maidened my cub today with no alteration to the motor mount. ROG fairly straight and only needed couple of cliks of down to trim straight and level at half throttle.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:59 AM
ozzybear

This is the first "wooden" ARF I have built and was quite dissapointed given Hyperion's excellent reputation. In particular-

1) Poor covering - many wrinkles and loose covering.
2) Contol wire too small in diameter compared to the hole diameter of the supplied horns - creates control slack. I used proper sized snap links the and cyanoed the supplied wire to the links after cutting off the z bends and bending on itself.
3) The rudder and elevator screws are too long and no safety back plate is supplied. I discarded them and used horns with bolts and backplates for security reasons.
4) Only 2, not 4 wheel collets supplied.
5) One servo mounting back support piece fell off whilst light trimming to size.
6) Wing mounting holes out by about 2-3 mm.
7) No mention of dihedral brace to be fitted one way only. May cause beginner to glue up wing incorrectly. Also obsure that epoxy is needed on brace as well as ribs.
8) No mention of air cooling entry and exit holes.
9) Battery hatch too long to fit nicely.
10) I will think of no 10 later!!!!

But it did fly straigth and true with no vices obvious on first flight.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:34 AM
ozzybear

Yes - Number 10) Matt grey corrosion product on one wheel leg.

Quick Reply: Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09528 seconds with 11 queries