Good PSU Match For The Power Lab 6? - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Good PSU Match For The Power Lab 6?

Old 06-16-2012, 03:25 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

my thoughts in early planning stage takes cooling as top of the design priorities.

picture a regular plastic toolbox with a single tray. the tray wont be used. the power supply goes on the bottom of the box raised off the bottom by something like plastic/vinyl or rubber bushings that lift it 3/4" and fastend somehow yet to be determined,two small venting fans cut into the box on either end . one blowing in and one venting out should make for a breeze over the whole psu on all sides...is this overkill,sure,but why not. the fans won't have to be 120v but must be quite ones meant to keep computer pc's cool. next will be the shelf that will be set deeper than the tray was so there will be clearance when the top is closed and the pl6 will fit recessed in the shelf and the heat sink on the bottom of the pl6 will also benefit from the fans circulation of air. i'll cut the shelf along the side for venting purposes and use the corners to rest on supports yet to be designed. the pl6 will be on one side of the 20" long box and the charging board set so batteries can lay flat on both sides. but of coarse the battery wires are pretty short so that determines the space used.

now heres a well known fact,paint your field box's white and they barely get warm sitting in the sun. my field TX/parts is yellow with the top painted white...sitting in the sun i can take things out and they're not hot or even warm. my battery box is a cheap metal cash box painted white with foam on the insides top/bottom and sides. i can leave it in the sun open a little but not let the sun get inside,again nothing toasting do to being in the sun. if i left these box's black ,my stuff would have to be hidden in shade wherever i can find it[under the flight table].

the plugs:i may use a small powerstrip to help protect the whole setup. i would like to have one power cord to feed the tool box from the outside source and be able to unplug and roll it up for storage in the case.

the design is nothing new, I've seen several done different ways. i could line the interior of the box with a dense foam insulation that is thin sheets.the shelf i use would look great if i can find Plexiglas thats white,i could also bore vent holes around the battery board if for only lookssince the charger and board will be in open air while charging.

this is no joke and won't ever happen. when charging by my side on a short lil table stand by my seat and something goes terribly wrong...i will toss the whole setup out the door....if it's even more seriouse...i'll throw the whole thing through the window....lol,theres always the halon fire extinguisher i can use.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Gregor

Most power supplies already have fans. The fans in server supplies have enough cfm to cool and vent a server case. I figure why not just use what is already there? The oddest setup I've seen is a couple server supplies setting in the bottom of a case, free air for 3 to 4 inches all around. Then the case has holes cut in the side and fans in them. Seems a little redundant to me.

For the plastic toolbox setup, my favorite design is to cut square holes in the side so the end of the supplies are accessible on the outside of the toolbox. That way the built in fans can be venting outside the case and you have an easy way to plug the cords into the supply. Line the hole with silicone fuel tubing for a finished look.

I guess I just don't like the white noise fans make and would prefer to only use the right number of fans, not more than needed. I also live in western Washington where a hot day is 85f.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

i agree the units have fans adequate for there purpose in computer application. i worked for swiss bank and Barclay bank at 222 Broadway [and 10 east 50th st] in NYC as a in house carpenter for almost 12 of my 21 years in the business. worked on the trading floors and server rooms that took up the whole floor. the one thing found in both was ac units filling the trading desks from under each desk by way of the raised computer floor .raised floor was for wire pulls and cooling purposes,and the server floor had 25 or more large ac units chilling the whole floor like a refrigerator and if i lifted a raised floor panel I'd get a rush of cold air in the face.

so heres my logic with finding and using super quite fans in the box to supplement cooling over the built in existing fans.i just spent $240 for charger and boardand the bottom of the charger is where the heat sinks are located and the charger will be set in a cut out in the custom shelf i install. then it's $113 for the side by side psu's to get 24v 47amps.add the cost of the custom box,power strip,fans,i figure the total cost to be around $400+. i will be charging 6 batteries at one time often pushing the psu's at a higher level than normally meant for them when they run 24/7. my home is air conditioned right now in mid June thru sept or Oct 24/7 since 85 degrees is a cool summer day here in new jersey. we average 90's and often hit 100's . i don't often fly when in the 100's and certainly wouldn't be charging at the field if it was. i totally agree i don't need white noise,but then again,i have a hearing deficit anyway,so to me it Will be music to my ears if it's doing the job i hope it will .

while at home the whole box will be on a sliding shelf on my end table where i sit. under the tables top surface.it will be stored there waiting for use, and will be sliding out when charging so it's always right at knee level to reach for when i need to swap batteries.[add the cost of the sliding shelf to my total for the charging station....ack!,it keeps adding up...lol...]...

it just accured to me that the fans can each be switched on and off as needed so at the field they run and at home it's off and quite! doooohhh ,i it. now i get to wire switch's to the shelf.....this is going to be fun!

it's fun building ease into this hobby! you would laugh at the size of my man cave for building kits in the basement[very small],but truth is ,everything is easy to reach with the rolling chair....
Old 06-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Gregor

With those temps, it doesn't hurt to have a little extra venting available on a switch. You can use a IR temp device and periodically check the venting air to see how things are doing. Sounds like you are already on top of this, but just remember to creating sealed air channels so the fans are not just circulating air inside box. This applies more to the PS fans getting air to the external fans.

One other thing to remember is that LiPo chargers charge at full power for 1/3 to 1/4 of the charge, then move into the CV stage which is a slow taper. This means that power supplies will be a getting a rest every 15 minutes or so. If they increase in heat during the high current stage(CC), the fans can use that rest period to cool them.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:25 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

again! my order to feather merchants rc has been shipped already!this means I'll be pulling everything together sooner than i thought. pictures will be forth coming during assembly of the box.

wattflyer is an awesome forum for resource,and information.make this hobby easier to learn.