Build thread: Into the Miss Stik~Redux - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Build thread: Into the Miss Stik~Redux

Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

fly wheel,it looks great!! but for crying out loud man...think positive only on the flights to come...lol. delete any talk/type of that awful word crash!

she's going to fly great!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:23 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

I'm sure it will. this is the most forgiving plane I have ever flown. The only thing that I am really concerned about is the balloning I experienced last time. I have steepened the thrust angle at the recommendations given here and at RCGroups, and the way I have the motor mounted I can alter it further (or less) if necessary.

One thing's for sure, If it doesn't trim to my satisfaction this time, I'm not going to push my luck, it's coming right back down until it flies right!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2011, 11:31 PM
FlyWheel

Build Review Day 14

I thought I was going to be done today, but it seems I am paying for the ease in which this model went together in the beginning. The window magnets went in all right, and they hold great. In fact, I think four of these, one at each corner of the cabin holding the side windows which are glued to the wing could probably hold the entire wing on by themselves! I am impressed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window magnets.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	151894

The hinging of the control surfaces didn't go so well. I just cant seem to get tape hinges to work right without slop or worse, "indexing". IOW they pop from one position to the other. I finally got them to work reasonably well, but from now on I think I'm sticking with pinned hinges. No binding or slop, and I can always seal the gap if I have to. Why should I have to MacGyver things? I can afford better.

Name:	Tail featers attached.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	151895

I'm going to have to extend the motor a little bit further forward, the spinner drags against the front of the cowling as it is now. Perhaps a couple of strips of CF glued to the front of the hardwood mount. This would give a harder surface for washers to rest against as well if I need to shim the motor up or down to get level flight under power.

Name:	Leftovers.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	151896 The bundle of wood is what is left over from the build. This is an example of how much extra stock AeroCraft provides with this kit!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:20 AM
FlyWheel

Build Review Day 15 ~ FINISHED!

I got some #10 nylon washers to space the motor further forward. They gave me just enough room to clear the cowling - I now have about 2mm gap between it and the back of the spinner. So I put a battery in the bird, attached the wing and she balanced perfectly, right on the front edge of the recommended CG "zone"

Name:	Balanced.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	151962
The all up weight was a little more than last time: Click image for larger version

Name:	AUW.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	151963 However, this was with a larger 1300mAh battery. but even with the 800mAh I used in the last one it still came out a little heavier. Oh well.
Thrust was at 448g, or 16 ounces: Click image for larger version

Name:	Thrust.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	151964 So I guess this one probably won't hover, but it should still climb. This is not a 3D go totally berserk with it plane anyway, she's a casual flier.

Lastly, I have the decals printed out and once the clear coat is dry I can christen her. But for all sakes and purposes, she is ready for test flights.

And in just half the time as the last build!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	What is this.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	151965  
Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 AM
FlyWheel

Build Review Well, almost

I got some real hinges at the Hobby Stop. I wasn't able to redo the elevator because the edges had been beveled only on the bottom, but I was able to retape them and achieve a nicer "hinge" with a lot less slop. The rudder was a different story. It had been beveled equally on both sides, so I could slot both it and the tail fin. I managed to get them it sliced straight the first time and get the rudder hinged. I find installing real hinges a heluva lot easier to do than frakking aroung with packing tape!

Name:	Hinged rudder.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	152015

I hope to maiden her this weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	fantasia.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	152016
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 AM
road king 97
old hat

They make these also, I have used both in foam and they are better than tape. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	detail_481_robq2505.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	152019  
Old 08-18-2011, 01:41 AM
FlyWheel

Wow! I never knew those came that small! Then again, I've never seen them up against anything to give them scale either
Old 08-18-2011, 03:29 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Wow! I never knew those came that small! Then again, I've never seen them up against anything to give them scale either
I just went over this with fishbonez because tape was falling off, Drill the holes ,put epoxy in (small amount) i use tooth picks to get it in there . I then take a tooth pick and put a small drop of vasiline on the middle of the hinge so epoxy wont stick to it and put them in with 15 minute epoxy . Moves realy free and will never come out. Try it some time flywheel . joe
Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 AM
FlyWheel

I just may. Do they come in slightly larger versions? That looks a bit too tiny for a 3M sailplane, although it might work for my upcoming eastbourne.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I just may. Do they come in slightly larger versions? That looks a bit too tiny for a 3M sailplane.
They go up in sizes to 1/3 scale airplanes ,i used them on my 99 inch sea plane . You can also use the vasiline trick on the hinges you used, epoxy wont stick to it on flat hinges either. joe http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/189.htm
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 AM
FlyWheel

Default MAIDEN!

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
They go up in sizes to 1/3 scale airplanes ,i used them on my 99 inch sea plane . You can also use the vasiline trick on the hinges you used, epoxy wont stick to it on flat hinges either. joe http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/189.htm
That's what I did, sort of. I used canning/candle wax though, which does not react with plastics.

I was going to film the maiden from a pilot's eye view, as my FlyCamOne fit perfectly inside the cabin of this plane. Unfortunately, I think I left it alone too long, it wouldn't take a charge. So I'm sorry, but no pictures.

I would like to thank those who recommended dropping the thrust angle to correct the balloning though. They were right, that is what it needed. I even got the correct angle first time, it seems.

After the preliminary inspections-range checks, I took her out to the landing field and as I slowly brought up the throttle, she bobbled away (seems the bigger wheels worked too! ). At about 3/4 stick she took to the air at about a 15-20 degree angle, banking port slightly. But not enough to be dangerous, so I let her describe slow, 100' diameter circles as she corkscrewed herself skyward.

After about five or six turns I tapped the trim button until she straightened out. Flew her to the end of the field, then turned around and as she flew across in front of me I slowly dropped the throttle until she flew level, which turned out to be about 40% stick - Perfect!

She started banking slightly to starboard now, so I retrimmed the rudder. She flew great from then on. Under higher thrust she still tended to bank to port slightly, but only under high thrust. Cruising and gliding she flew straight, so I am putting it down to torque, or whatever that effect is that's supposed to happen with large props.

Bringing her back down, I noted the trim numbers, and reversed them. (IOW, I retrimmed the rudder the exact same amount, but to the opposite side). Then I loosened the control horn and set it so the rudder was straight in line with the fin, and tightened it down. I then zeroed out the trim tab on the TX and the rudder once again went to it's properly trimmed starboard position. Now I'll have full rudder throw to both sides.

I sent her up three more times, using all three of my 800mAh batteries before it started drizzling so I landed her. the sky was looking a bit threatening anyway. She came down a bit hard on the final landing, so I have to do a little work on the nose, but she came home with me this time! .

She still balloons a bit under FULL throttle if I don't compensate with down elevator, but she is a great flyer. smooth, forgiving, and incredibly easy and relaxing to fly
Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

congrats on the successful flights!!!!!!!!!! she looks like a fun plane to build and now i'm glad to hear she's trimmed out for flying,now do get that camera fixed so we can join ya for a flight...lol ..,stu
Old 08-21-2011, 11:33 PM
road king 97
old hat

Maiden sounded great flywheel and you have it trimed nice too. joe