Servo stuff - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo stuff

Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Default Servo stuff

Didn't see a lot of threads on servos so I'm starting this one with my new question.

What application would a "round" servo arm be most useful?

I noticed a round servo arm in the packet on my last order of servos. It's obvious how to use them but not so obvious on why, at least for a newb like myself. Someone please fill me in... thanks!

-John
Old 07-11-2011, 08:32 AM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

They just show them in the package to make you ask questions. There is no real use for them
I would like to know as well
Old 07-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

They are useful anywhere a straight arm will work

It gives you more options on what angle to set the connection point at - for offset throws for example or differential or if the splines and/or holes dont line up just perfectly.

But they come in real handy if you need two (or more) linkages connected on one servo with a built-in offset. That way you can use a single servo to drive two ailerons and still have differential. They also come in handy for mechanical retracts, driving nose gear steering and rudder off one servo etc.

The larger ones with no or only a few holes allow you to drill your own holes for 100% custom pivot locations.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Rodneh

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post

It gives you more options on what angle to set the connection point at - for offset throws for example or differential or if the splines and/or holes dont line up just perfectly.

But they come in real handy if you need two (or more) linkages connected on one servo with a built-in offset. That way you can use a single servo to drive two ailerons and still have differential. They also come in handy for mechanical retracts, driving nose gear steering and rudder off one servo etc.

The larger ones with no or only a few holes allow you to drill your own holes for 100% custom pivot locations.
Well said Larry. There are many uses for them, limited only by your own ingenuity.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 PM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post

Yes, thanks Larry... that was a great explanation even i can understand
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
Didn't see a lot of threads on servos so I'm starting this one with my new question.

What application would a "round" servo arm be most useful?

I noticed a round servo arm in the packet on my last order of servos. It's obvious how to use them but not so obvious on why, at least for a newb like myself. Someone please fill me in... thanks!

-John
And, once you've got the proper holes drilled in your "round" servo arm, if it gets in the way, you can always cut off the un-needed parts of the round servo arm. Be sure to saw the parts off, don't use a pair of wire cutters. That can put stress cracks into some of those servo arms.