HobbyKing's EPO 800mm Corsair Review - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

HobbyKing's EPO 800mm Corsair Review

Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 AM
dhdsracer

Default HobbyKing's EPO 800mm Corsair Review

Hey guys, I just finished up my review on hobbyking's new EPO corsair. It is a really fun little warbird! 800mm wingspan and can be run on a 2s or 3s with prop change. Take a look and let me know what you think.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcEh-9J8kXA[/media]

thanks,
Don
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Nice review....looks very sim to the Airfield 800mm Corsair. The Airfield has rudder ready built.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Simon8668

How do you charge it, I got the aligator clips to charge it and im confused, Its with the balanced charger aswell...thanks guys
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
primo720

Default CORSAIR is my choice

I am a newbie and am training on phoenix sim, my first plane I will purchase is the Corsair. Is this too much for a beginner plane?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by primo720 View Post
I am a newbie and am training on phoenix sim, my first plane I will purchase is the Corsair. Is this too much for a beginner plane?
Speaking as a beginner myself, I would say it's too much. I've recently started flying low-wing 4-channel war birds (PZ UM T-28 in my case). I'm doing ok, but that's after probably 30 flights on high-wing 3-channel trainers (HZ Champ and HZ Super Cub) and a lot of simulator time. I'm sure I would have crashed that little plane pretty badly if I only had simulator time and no trainer time. The simulator does a great job of reproducing the aerodynamics of the model, but can't reproduce the mental stress of flying something that's actually going to break for real if you crash it. It's hard to describe, but something in your head makes it more difficult to fly real models.

We're all different, so you may be just fine starting with a warbird, but judging from most people's experiences, you're much more likely to succeed if you start your journey with something like a Champ and upgrade to the Corsair after a few months. It's a $90 investment that I think will pay off. Plus, it's a beautiful little plane that's a blast to fly.

Just my personal opinion...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

(You may want to re-post your question in the "Beginners" forum, BTW. I think you'll get more answers there)
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Simon8668

Personally Id agree With NJSwede. I started out with a 4 Channel corsiar and thought it would be a piece of cake. Im wrong, Ive crashed many times, luckly its just broken the prop, but im nervous to fly this thing sometimes. When you start jsut a 3 channel, youll save yourself some work and mental stress. Also invest in a good simulator, I have Clear View and its 40 bucks but it can really help, I know it has for me on the landings because thats where I screw up. Good luck
Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Trammellc2001

Originally Posted by primo720 View Post
Its great that your working with the flight simulator but I would say that the corsair is going to be a handful. I purchased the parkzone corsair as a second plane. My first plane was a Super Cub LP, I highly recommend this plane for your first.

If your planing on expanding your hangar at a later date I would recommend getting a DX6i and the Bind and fly Super Cub LP. More money up front but a better investment for the long run.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Simon8668

Yeah I just went to fly and everything was great untill I crashed, beyond repair. I took off and got to about 10 ft, then banked left, the plane rolled more than needed so i focoused on that more than the altitude, and bam! Its in 3 pieces now and its worthless now. The paint job is worth more. Im going to get a 3 CHANNEL not a 4 CHANNEL this time and hope that works alot better. In my opinion rc flying is really cool and fun but for 100's of dollars to get a toy flying isnt my version of fun....
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
primo720

Default dx6i

@ Trammellc2001, I purchaed the dx6i along with the phoenix flight simulator...Soon I will be training with an instructor. this weekend there is a RC event in my area where I hope to by something to toy with til the summer. The dx6i is an awesome transmitter, I will be utilizing nothing but bnfs.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Simmon8868 has said exactly what most find out the hard way....and usually get so discouraged, they give up. IT DOES not have to be this way. Stay away from the warbirds as first trainers. Follow the Beginners threads..they have great info there, and will lead you to the right paths to take. Come and ask questions on this thread as well.. alot of talent and alot of experience on here to help you.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Trammellc2001

@ primo. Good to hear. The dx6i is a great tx. I had one until my recent upgrade to the dx8.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 AM
primo720

Default Dx6i

@ Trammellc2001, how many years experience do you have with rc plnanes?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Trammellc2001

Flew with my dad and his nitro planes back in the day. Short break of about 15 years. I have been hardcore back into electrics for about a year.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 AM
dhdsracer

I'm glas to see some good information flowing here. Primo, don't buy this as your first plane. Like the guys say, go with a proper trainer. My favorites are pushers. Planes like cub's and decathlons are fun and light but you can still break props easily. If you want a great aileron trainer, check out the AXN floater jet [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtc9ijQC1zQ[/media]. if you need a 3 channel, look into the easy star. Good Luck!
Don
Old 02-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Yes, dhds, especially since even you backed off from your recommendation it's time everybody quit with the beginner to advanced recommendations for warplanes. They should be recommended only for intermediate to advanced fliers. Even during your review you are repeating warnings: this plane is not designed to fly slowly, be careful about control throws as with too much control authority the plane becomes too twitchy at high speed. All these characteristics make the plane fun, but completely unsuitable for a beginner.

Otherwise it's a great review! I subscribed to your You Tube channel. Nice to see some good Hobby King product reviews.