What transmitter should I buy? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

What transmitter should I buy?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 AM
huntjulien

Question What transmitter should I buy?

Hey there okay so i own a supercub and im going to mod it. I have looked into it and know what to do but the only topic i havent heard much about is what transmitter i should use. i plan on flying multiple planes and possibly get into the smaller electric heli's. I want to spend between 100-200$ it has to be good reliable, 6 or more channels u know all those sweet things... iv looked at the dx6i which interests me but i dont really know any of the con's to it. plus iv heard a little about bind and fly but i dont know does it work with non spektrum transmitters? anyways i was hoping to get any help i could on the subject. Thanx alot

Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 AM
dday

i have a dx7. great radio. i have used a dx6i, it feels cheap in comparison.spend the extra and get the dx7. you wont regret it. i dont know if any other radios will work with the bnf planes and helis.spektrum and jr will work. good luck
Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Night_Flyer
Cub Pilot

Angry Cheap???!!!!!!!

I use the DX6i, and although never used the DX7, it doesn't feel "cheap". (it sure as hell wasn't cheap) It's a decent 6 channel transmitter, that has the basic 4 channels, 10 model memory, gear and flaps, along with Dual rates, and Expo.
I guess there are some people who MUST have the best radio there is, even though they might only fly 1 week in 10 and they only fly 1 SloV or or something!
So if you have the cash why not get a DX7... but in reality the DX6i is a good Middle of the road 2.4Ghz Transmitter, with more than enough features for beginner/intermediate/casual flyer.

Transmitter snobery! I've never heard of it!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Originally Posted by Night_Flyer View Post
I use the DX6i, and although never used the DX7, it doesn't feel "cheap". (it sure as hell wasn't cheap) It's a decent 6 channel transmitter, that has the basic 4 channels, 10 model memory, gear and flaps, along with Dual rates, and Expo.
I guess there are some people who MUST have the best radio there is, even though they might only fly 1 week in 10 and they only fly 1 SloV or or something!
So if you have the cash why not get a DX7... but in reality the DX6i is a good Middle of the road 2.4Ghz Transmitter, with more than enough features for beginner/intermediate/casual flyer.

Transmitter snobery! I've never heard of it!
IMHO, the DX6i is a good value in a six channel. The DSM systems (Spektrum/JR) have a jump on the market, but aren't the only good radio. Futaba and Airtronics have also been great radios for years.

People interested in some spare time amusement or casual involvement can be quite content with about any basic working transmitter, however your radio is the single thing that makes the hobby. When you know you are well in; investing in a feature rich system that will last through many models, and not be a bottle neck in your enjoyment of the hobby, is a wise choice.

Originally Posted by huntjulien View Post
Hey there! I own a Super Cub, and I'm going to modify it. I have looked into it and know what to do, but the only topic I haven't heard much about is what transmitter I should use. I plan on flying multiple planes, and possibly get into the smaller electric heli's. I want to spend between $100-$200 and it has to be a good, reliable, 6 or more channels. You know, all those sweet things... I've looked at the dx6i which interests me, but I don't really know any of the con's to it. Also, I have heard a little about bind and fly but I don't know. Does it work with non-Spektrum transmitters? Anyway, I was hoping to get any help I could on the subject. Thanks a lot.

First, Bind-N-FlyTM or BNF is an Horizon Hobby trademark , so it must be a DSM2 Transmitter, such as Spektrum or JR. They have some very clever marketing in bringing some neat planes that are ready to go, as long as you have their transmitter.

As for your Super Cub, really you could fit any top radio if you are going to change out the OEM radio, which leads to my next comment:

You say you are very interested in getting more, and more complex planes and interested in helicopters. This says to me, if you invest in a good radio now, it will serve you better for longer, and you will spend less money down the road. The most basic radio I would recommend is a seven channel. The reason is at that level you begin to have features that are really useful on more intermediate/advanced models including channel mixing or coupling. This can be key for balancing aerobatic models. A seven channel will also ensure you have the features you need for a decent collective pitch helicopter without having to take any short cuts. I know the Blade 400, a nice entry level small helicopter, has the DX6i packaged with it, I also know a lot of people upgrade to a DX7 or X9303 to fly it as well.

In summary, to me it's all about a good value. I've had some cheap radios, I've had some decent radios. IMHO, you can get more per dollar out of a seven channel, than a six and whats more - I think a 9 or 10 channel is a good, basic, entry level, serious radio,that is a better value per dollar! It's not about flaunting a toy, it's about making sure when you fly - you have the tools you need.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Gonzo007

I have own a DX6i, DX7 and a 9303. For me I feel the DX6i is cheap. I would grab a DX7 they are the best bang for the buck. The only reason why I have 9303 was because a friend sold me his for a great price when he upgraded to a 12x. If that didn't happened I would have just stuck with the DX7. Its my backup radio now and its great. I didn't sell the DX6i because the rudder pot died in mid flight on me, and I can't be bothered to send it back to Horizon.

I would just get the DX7. Spend a little more now not buy again later.

Colin
Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 PM
aramid

I can definitely see the appeal in getting a DX7 if you're interested in helicopters, or think you'd need more than the 10 model memory offered by the DX6i. Other than that, though, the 6i is an extremely good value. Of the three radios being discussed, it has by far the most intuitive user interface, which makes it easy to change even obscure settings at the field without needing to rely on the manual.

I wouldn't mind getting a DX7 at some point to replace my DX6i, but it's predominantly for the extra model memories and a bit more adjustability on the flaps, mixes, and that sort of thing - I really have no complaints about my current setup. I would not, however, buy a JR 9303 under any circumstances. Technologically, it's impressive, and if you have an absurdly complex model or are a spectacular pilot, you might be able to find a use for it. If you're a more normal user, you'll notice that it's extremely heavy and you absolutely will require the manual the first few times you want to change even fairly basic settings. I have never looked at the manual for my DX6i (and have used every feature in the airplane mode); in contrast, I had to check the manual on my friend's 9303 in order to set up and operate features as basic as the timer and one-switch dual rates.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 PM
spad

I started about 4 years ago with a Hitec Optic 6, went to a DX-7, bought a DX6i as a "back up" and then bought a JR X9303: I feel like Gonzo in that the DX6i was a disappointment, the DX7 is a delight and the JR is fantastic!

I still have the Optic 6, fitted with a Spektrum "Futaba" 2.4 module, and it is my "backup."

I love the DX7 so much I can't bear to sell it, and the Optic 6 has too many fond memories to let it go!

Sad, but true.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:34 PM
spad

Originally Posted by aramid View Post
I can definitely see the appeal in getting a DX7 if you're interested in helicopters, or think you'd need more than the 10 model memory offered by the DX6i. Other than that, though, the 6i is an extremely good value. Of the three radios being discussed, it has by far the most intuitive user interface, which makes it easy to change even obscure settings at the field without needing to rely on the manual.

I wouldn't mind getting a DX7 at some point to replace my DX6i, but it's predominantly for the extra model memories and a bit more adjustability on the flaps, mixes, and that sort of thing - I really have no complaints about my current setup. I would not, however, buy a JR 9303 under any circumstances. Technologically, it's impressive, and if you have an absurdly complex model or are a spectacular pilot, you might be able to find a use for it. If you're a more normal user, you'll notice that it's extremely heavy and you absolutely will require the manual the first few times you want to change even fairly basic settings. I have never looked at the manual for my DX6i; in contrast, I had to check the manual on my friend's 9303 in order to set up and operate features as basic as the timer and one-switch dual rates.

I've got to comment on the substance of this one!

I'm retired (likely a much older generation than the above poster), and my experience IS JUST THE OPPOSITE: the DX6i display is too small for old eyes and the interface is counterintuitive for old brains! The DX7, and to a greater degree, the JR X9303, is easy for old eyes to see and intuitive for old brains! AS for "heavy," well, the DX6i is indeed very light, and the DX7 is of moderate weight, with the JR X9303 only slightly heavier. One BIG difference in the 3: the JR is of OBVIOUSLY higher design and fabrication quality.

You gets what you pays for, in my book.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Originally Posted by aramid View Post
I would not, however, buy a JR 9303 under any circumstances. Technologically, it's impressive, and if you have an absurdly complex model or are a spectacular pilot, you might be able to find a use for it. If you're a more normal user, you'll notice that it's extremely heavy and you absolutely will require the manual the first few times you want to change even fairly basic settings.
I really think this is a perspective.

I would agree, from my experience, that if one is perhaps a 'AMA park pilot' the norm would be 4-6 channels, basic functions. However, the original question was to 'multiple planes' and 'helis'. I feel between my spitfire, my extra330 for IMAC, and my Pantera heli, my X9303 is pretty normal and basic for my needs. I have several scale projects in mind and I know the DX7 would not fit the bill. I enjoyed my upgrading to a X9303 from TX6A/FGK7 so much, I picked up a 9C to continue and use my 72mhz Futaba equipment. Those two radios are very much on par with features, both have advantages over the other in programming, I would call neither one difficult, no would I say either were a breeze to program. The basics were intuitive however.

This experience is why I think a seven channel minimum for this path. The caveat being if 'several planes + heli' are things like a super cub, radian, and an mcX. Then I would revise my advice to the DX6i. I'm making an assumption we're talking more along the lines of 20% Edge, Cularis, Spitfire, and BeamE4 somewhere in the future (or at least the desire).

Don't forget the Hitec Aurora9 and the Airtronics RDS8000 - both look like great radios at a bargain!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:40 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I love my DX6i. I really like that it uses only 4 AA batteries (Eneloops) and I find it's programming much easier to understand than the DX7 or DX9 (x9303), It also has a MUCH easier to use trainer switch. I wish JR would truly redesign the 7,9,11 to take after the DX6i with batteries, and trainer / bind switch. If they did that I'd upgrade to a 7 channel at least. I do wish the 6i had a bigger display, backlight, and graphs for expo like the 7 does.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:51 AM
huntjulien

thanx for all your help you guys were great help but i still dont know... i guess everyone has there own oppinions..
Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by huntjulien View Post
thanx for all your help you guys were great help but i still dont know... i guess everyone has there own oppinions..
And hopefully, that is why you asked the question.

For every transmitter out there, including the cheap 2.4 systems, someone will really like them. Ultlimately it is about your budget and a review of others opinions.

I would suggest you narrow your search down to a couple of radios and then read several reviews on each. That will give you several perspectives and allow you to make an informed decision.

The old rule of thumb is to buy the very best radio that you can afford. I am transmitter poor, not having known that rule of thumb when I purchased my first radio.

I have settled on the DX7 for now, but lust for a step up. However, my DX7 does all I need at this time.

Let us know how your search goes and what you finally purchase.