Great Planes ElectriFly ElectriCUB Kit - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Great Planes ElectriFly ElectriCUB Kit

Old 05-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Max711

Default Great Planes ElectriFly ElectriCUB Kit

I'm planning on building and the Great Planes ElectriCub and would like to get recommendations on a system built around an AXI Motor or any other recommendations regarding the kit. This will be my first electric. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Max, welcome to the site. I moved this thread to general since you didn't get any answers in beginners.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Hi Max
I reviewed this kit, with the stock geared ferrite, when it first came out. It flew fine, giving that it was hauling 7 nicad cells (because I couldn't get 8 or more in!).

There's so much choice with the vast number of Chinese ripoff motors these days that you'd be hard put to find a motor number from a seller.

Idle thoughts - firstly, over to the Tower Hobbies website, look up their Rimfire motors selection page and scrat around in there. if that doesn't satisfy, ask Great Planes. They do care some more than 'Chleap Motors L Us'

Or ask Hobby Lobby about what would do in AXI or their Atlas housebrand outrunners. HL has a good base of sports model knowledge and even if they don't have a direct answer, they'll likely have something close.

Then you either buy their recommendation or go to the clone market and buy something that you fervently hope matches.

If faced with a choice, get the more powerful option. Flying around throttled back is always better for your batteries than beating everything to a pulp just to get airborne.

The model is a good, safe little flier. I know its a pain, but fly with the wingstruts on. The wing structure isn't all that bad, but it is somewhat flexible... Make sure your chosen battery pack comes out the bottom hatch. It's not all that bad a design, between cowl back edge and UC beam, but its a bit tight and you don't want to be taking the wing off to get at the battery (PITA) or charging a LiPo on board (do you really want to charge a battery that could explode inside all your hard work?)

I'd show you a photo of mine, but my photo files are in MD and I'm in Charleston SC right now (it's lovely down here )

Regards

Dereck
Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Max711 View Post
I'm planning on building and the Great Planes ElectriCub and would like to get recommendations on a system built around an AXI Motor or any other recommendations regarding the kit. This will be my first electric. Thanks.
Max, what ever happened with this project?

I picked up one of these kits a while back and I'm just getting started on mine. I've got a bunch of ideas like using this plane for aerial photography/videography and/or banner towing. I'm thinking I want plenty of power for these tasks.